Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

kooga wrote: »

They where kind off missing an old bank in their Irish portfolio :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

You can almost hear the beeping of the Heineken decision to look for the guarantee going into reverse.
    indeed.
    It actually hilarious though.

Heineken Ireland trying to bully Weatherspoons over one single solitary pub, and then have the tables turned on them in a completely disproportionate but justified way in pulling it from almost 1000 pubs in the UK.

If Heineken (as a company, through their seemingly dithering irish branch) dont want to deal or trust Weatherspoons then they just have to accept the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

it really makes you wonder about the current model of pubs here, spoons can come in, buy the pub, spend millions doing it up, selling drink and food not far off half the price of other pubs and yet they are profitable, while many pubs even good areas are struggling?!

oblivious wrote: »
    They where kind off missing an old bank in their Irish portfolio :)

need a cinema next

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Lovely stuff, do they still sell the cans from Sixpoint Brewery? I'll be there for those alone :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Incidentally, today is Wetherspoon's 35th birthday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Lovely stuff, do they still sell the cans from Sixpoint Brewery? I'll be there for those alone :)

yep €2.45 a can

SWEET ACTION
    USA 5.2% ABV 355ml

The delightful love child of a pale ale and a wheat beer,

full of tinkly floral and citrus notes, with a rich, creamy body
    THE CRISP
    USA 5.4% ABV 355ml

A super-clean, but still complex, lager, with its light hay and straw

hop notes and just enough underlying body to make it satisfying.
    BENGALI TIGER
    USA 6.5% ABV 355ml

With palate-clawing amounts of US hops and masses of

warming alcohol, it’s definitely a wild one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Idbatterim wrote: »
    it really makes you wonder about the current model of pubs here, spoons can come in, buy the pub, spend millions doing it up, selling drink and food not far off half the price of other pubs and yet they are profitable, while many pubs even good areas are struggling?!

I doubt Wetherspoons have a dodgy property portfolio, I'd say bad investments by bar owners has been a factor in pubs closing (and maybe the crazy prices they were bought at).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Tabnabs wrote: »

One of the commentators on that thread says that according to the BBC it's worth £60m a year!! It seems like a big figure but divide that between 926 pubs = £65K pear year, which seems a reasonable estimate. And even if you halved that, someone essentially balls'ed up a £30-£60m per year contract.

Now that's a boo boo of epic proportions.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Ipso wrote: »
    I doubt Wetherspoons have a dodgy property portfolio, I'd say bad investments by bar owners has been a factor in pubs closing (and maybe the crazy prices they were bought at).

The buy grade listed building in the uk. But I bet they just run a very tight ship and are willing seek products from other suppliers, as we have seen today to keep cost down

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭Speak Now

yep €2.45 a can

SWEET ACTION
    USA 5.2% ABV 355ml

The delightful love child of a pale ale and a wheat beer,

full of tinkly floral and citrus notes, with a rich, creamy body
    THE CRISP
    USA 5.4% ABV 355ml

A super-clean, but still complex, lager, with its light hay and straw

hop notes and just enough underlying body to make it satisfying.
    BENGALI TIGER
    USA 6.5% ABV 355ml

With palate-clawing amounts of US hops and masses of

warming alcohol, it’s definitely a wild one.

Yum Yum

BeerNut wrote: »
    Second bag of popcorn in the microwave, so.

Its a game of chicken with 60 million (sterling) worth of sales per annum :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Its a game of chicken with 60 million (sterling) worth of sales per annum :D
    still, on the other hand Heineken Ireland has a turnover of €477million so its just a question of how much they want to wrap the irish market in cotton wool and keep deluded Irish Heineken drinkers paying silly money for what it is.

Brewing is not far off alchemy - take a few ingredients (mainly water) and turn them into an alcoholic beverage which at industrial scales costs barely 10c per litre, and adding a bit of magic marketing turn it into a desirable drink selling at 10euro a litre.

Theres so much bloody magic involved that a Weatherspoons reality check may not be welcome

This Star Remains Constant

never forget!

still, on the other hand Heineken Ireland has a turnover of €477million so its just a question of how much they want to wrap the irish market in cotton wool and keep deluded Irish Heineken drinkers paying silly money for what it is.

Brewing is not far off alchemy - take a few ingredients (mainly water) and turn them into an alcoholic beverage which at industrial scales costs barely 10c per litre, and adding a bit of magic marketing turn it into a desirable drink selling at 10euro a litre.

Theres so much bloody magic involved that a Weatherspoons reality check may not be welcome

It's not really the brewing part that's the alchemy, as you say, it's the morketing part where all the true alchemy happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

It is becoming clear that Diageo and Heineken are running a massive cartel in this country.
    Dating back to 09 when Heineken bought Beamish and Crawford and immediately decided to stop exporting Beamish stout.
    Funnily enough all pubs previiusly selling Beamish on the continent were now being supplied with Guinness brewed under contract funnily enough by Heineken in Madrid.
    I recall a letter to the Irish Times from an Irish resident in Spain on this matter and his dissapointment.
    The decision of The Competition Authority to allow Beamish be taken over by Heineken was disgraceful and anti competitive especially since there were other suitors including SAB Miller who were very interested and saw South Main Street as a viable operation.
    It would not surprise me to see Heineken kill off Beamish in the near future with Murphys to follow soon after.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    It's not really the brewing part that's the alchemy, as you say, it's the morketing part where all the true alchemy happens.

oh yea, marketing's magic is to turn a general euro lager into some people will pay a lot of money for or aspire to.

• Advertisement

Heineken Ireland is a separation operation to the uk. Their financial forecast are based on current prices, so if a change in value of the product would have a massive effect upon them.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭baron von something

i wonder if/when heineken come back to 'spoons with their tail between their legs and try to negotiate another contract,will 'spoons stick to their guns and tell them to jog on

oh yea, marketing's magic is to turn a general euro lager into some people will pay a lot of money for or aspire to.
    Genius really.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

This is the kind of market disruption we've badly needed here for years - I did think it could easily come from a UK PubCo but wasn't expecting it to happen when they had less than ten properties in the pipeline let alone only one open.
    Heineken Ireland is a separation operation to the uk. Their financial forecast are based on current prices, so if a change in value of the product would have a massive effect upon them.

Heineken Ireland are already selling the product to the pubs at a price that allows them to sell it at similar to Wetherspoons prices - my local back home isn't crying about the loss every time they pour at €3.30 a pint; and that'd be on a tiny volume. If anything their sales should rise, but its protecting their beloved market image as "premium" they're worried about here. Being seen to be cheap in South County Dublin would have the marketers crashing their Minis in shock - the Donegal pub for €3.30 isn't coming under their radar.

If you do any market research surveys on lager there is an utter obsession with being seen as "premium"; its as if they don't realise that there is still a world of difference between the Dutch Golds of the world beyond price and that some of the absolute worst lagers are very, very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

L1011 wrote: »
    Heineken Ireland are already selling the product to the pubs at a price that allows them to sell it at similar to Wetherspoons prices - my local back home isn't crying about the loss every time they pour at €3.30 a pint; and that'd be on a tiny volume. If anything their sales should rise, but its protecting their beloved market image as "premium" they're worried about here. Being seen to be cheap in South County Dublin would have the marketers crashing their Minis in shock - the Donegal pub for €3.30 isn't coming under their radar.

Off topic, but what pub (exact address, please) is selling Heineken at 3.30 per pint?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Genius really.

Guinness an exercise in marketing with a brewery attached :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭Tefral

L1011 wrote: »
    Heineken Ireland are already selling the product to the pubs at a price that allows them to sell it at similar to Wetherspoons prices - my local back home isn't crying about the loss every time they pour at €3.30 a pint;

I purchased a keg of Heineken recently from a pub for cost price. It cost them €155 ex VAT and you get ~88 pints for that. Including VAT cost price is €2.15 just based on what I paid. So €1.15 doesnt seem like much of a markup when you consider overheads:confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I'm really rather disappointed by the move as I have found the Beamish in Blackrock to be quite majestic. As macros go, it's definitely my favourite.
    Funnily enough all pubs previiusly selling Beamish on the continent were now being supplied with Guinness brewed under contract funnily enough by Heineken in Madrid.

This is the final piece in the puzzle for me. Heineken supply an enormous amount of Irish-style pubs in Spain and I always wondered how and why they included Guinness in the mix, rather than Murphys or Beamish, when they already served Murphy's red ale. I had always assumed that it was a concession to the international brand that Guinness represents and I guess it is. But now I know how they integrate it so seamlessly into their range of pub beers in Spain.

Ravelleman wrote: »
    I'm really rather disappointed by the move as I have found the Beamish in Blackrock to be quite majestic. As macros go, it's definitely my favourite.

This is the final piece in the puzzle for me. Heineken supply an enormous amount of Irish-style pubs in Spain and I always wondered how and why they included Guinness in the mix, rather than Murphys or Beamish, when they already served Murphy's red ale. I had always assumed that it was a concession to the international brand that Guinness represents and I guess it is. But now I know how they integrate it so seamlessly into their range of pub beers in Spain.

it demonstrates how fragmented world brewing is and how various brands in some countries are in competion yet elsewhere are in the same stable.

We have diageo, heineken, Inbev, sabmiller, carlsberg-tetley molson Coors.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Geuze wrote: »
    Off topic, but what pub (exact address, please) is selling Heineken at 3.30 per pint?

Neilys + every other pub, Arranmore, Donegal. Nightclub is a wee but dearer.

Advertisement