Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I believe you can get Hooker for €4.65 in Fitzgeralds by O'Connell Bridge. So the Irish Times said over the summer
    roadsmart wrote: »
    €3.70 in the bar in Fagan's. Might have gone to €3.75 recently, haven't been in in a while.

€3.20 in the Metro on Parnell St!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ec18

has anyone heard that they have bought the church as well?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

ec18 wrote: »

You haven't read the thread, have you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

was that not C&C?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,802 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

They haven't. I've worked on the Blackrock one and the ex Forty Foot. Next up for us is Swords in Jan/Feb.

There is also a rumour that they've bought Tramco in rathmines - i'll probably find out if there's any substance to this when we meet the English lads after xmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

Heard from several people/publicans that they've bought McGowans/Braemor Rooms/Rodeo Joes in Churchtown. It was sold recently and is a huge site. I saw that Tramco was 'let' recently but it would be ideal for them.

Edit: Tramco now down as sold on Morrisey's Auctioneers site.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

mfceiling wrote: »
    They haven't. I've worked on the Blackrock one and the ex Forty Foot. Next up for us is Swords in Jan/Feb.

There is also a rumour that they've bought Tramco in rathmines - i'll probably find out if there's any substance to this when we meet the English lads after xmas.

Any truth in the Botanic House rumour?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,802 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

roadsmart wrote: »
    Any truth in the Botanic House rumour?

Never heard - i'll give the lads a grilling in the new year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Heard from several people/publicans that they've bought McGowans/Braemor Rooms/Rodeo Joes in Churchtown.
    Please let this be true, its less than a 10 minute walk, I cant wait to stop giving local publicans my business for good! I reckon one in Rathfarnham in particular and also Dundrum, would do great trade...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Please let this be true, its less than a 10 minute walk, I cant wait to stop giving local publicans my business for good! I reckon one in Rathfarnham in particular and also Dundrum, would do great trade...

I had hoped that they'd buy the surprisingly large Uncle Tom's Cabin on the Dundrum Road, but I guess with so many empty premises around they already have lots to work with.

I agree that it would do excellent trade. Dundrum and Churchtown actually have a very unexciting selection of pubs, despite their suburban credentials. I grew up in the area and never felt any desire to go to the local pubs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Ravelleman wrote: »
    I had hoped that they'd buy the surprisingly large Uncle Tom's Cabin on the Dundrum Road, but I guess with so many empty premises around they already have lots to work with.

I agree that it would do excellent trade. Dundrum and Churchtown actually have a very unexciting selection of pubs, despite their suburban credentials. I grew up in the area and never felt any desire to go to the local pubs.

The Eagle would be a prime location for them to buy, or even Ryans/Dundrum House.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Ravelleman wrote: »

Always found the lack of decent pubs in Dundrum strange as well.

A Spoons in the village would have massive footfall.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

anncoates wrote: »
    Always found the lack of decent pubs in Dundrum strange as well.

Especially since Deveney's is there, there's clearly a market for craft beer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

There's a planning application in for a microbrewery in the Pembroke Quarter of the Town Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

mfceiling wrote: »
    Never heard - i'll give the lads a grilling in the new year!!

Did you happen to hear the rumour a while ago that a certain Dublin footballer had bought it over? A family member was to run for him.

Heard numerous people say it was a done deal etc. It was obviously nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

ST Biz: Wetherspoon's plans to construct a pub and a hotel in Dublin's Camden Street (I knew Camden Street was missing something!)

https://twitter.com/FrankSunTimes/status/543890521857748994

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

O'Haras bottles in the 40ft and hopefully on tap soon, Innis and Gunn lager in blackrock

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

JTMan wrote: »

If that happens it will definitely put the cat among the pigeons!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

BaZmO* wrote: »

Rumour has it that swords site too is look for a hotel application

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Yeah Camden St is somewhere I always go...this will test my loyalty to the pubs I now frequent :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭MrGee

Ive got to say im delighted that weatherspoons are in ireland now, 2.50e for a pint of cask ale!! Unbelievable value. I was in a weatherspoons in liverpool on tues last and 3 tun tavern on wednesday. Spent around 20 e each time including 5 pints and a meal. Who wouldnt go for that.
    Im just waiting for a city centre spot!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

I see a pub in Dublin city centre is charging €6 for a pint of 4.2% Irish craft beer. I won't be drinking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

n97 mini wrote: »
    I see a pub in Dublin city centre is charging €6 for a pint of 4.2% Irish craft beer. I won't be drinking it.

Just the one?

Just the one?

Lol yeah, theres plenty of them. Id only pay 6 if it was a rare beer. Most places ar charging between 5-5.50 for your standard craft beers. I want to support the craft brewer but not the greedy publican.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

MrGee wrote: »
    Ive got to say im delighted that weatherspoons are in ireland now, 2.50e for a pint of cask ale!! Unbelievable value. I was in a weatherspoons in liverpool on tues last and 3 tun tavern on wednesday. Spent around 20 e each time including 5 pints and a meal. Who wouldnt go for that.
    Im just waiting for a city centre spot!!

That was in Liverpool. Will they not have increased prices here since Irish will pay more for the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

That was in Liverpool. Will they not have increased prices here since Irish will pay more for the same?

The Three Tun Tavern is in Blackrock

• Registered Users Posts: 68,502 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Their current price list is pretty close to just a sterling and duty change conversion.

L1011 wrote: »
    Their current price list is pretty close to just a sterling and duty change conversion.

The prices seemed to be like for like when you take the currency conversion. Im sure theres a slight differance though. But i dont argue about 2.50 for a pint o cask.
    Just to clarify to Earlier quote,
    I was in weatherspoons in liverpool on tues and then in the dublin one (3 t t) on the wed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

UK PUB CHAIN JD Wetherspoon is planning to open a large hotel and pub on Camden Street in central Dublin.

In the company’s first move into central Dublin it has bought the Camden Hall Hostel site on the street – one of the city’s busiest nightlife areas.

screencap7-91-630x400.png

The chain said it plans to apply for a pub license, and planning permission to redevelop the site into a 100-room hotel. Chairman Tim Martin said:

"We are pleased to have acquired this excellent building in the heart of Dublin. Our aim is to build a pub and hotel on the site and we believe both will be assets to the city."

The building was formerly Ireland’s largest hostel serving homeless people. However, it was announced in May 2013 that it was to close.

It also houses a boxing gym and a garage. The company has said that all three will remain in the building until building work starts.

http://thedailyedge.thejournal.ie/wetherspoons-camden-street-1834821-Dec2014/?utm_source=twitter_self

• Advertisement

It's the news we've all been waiting to hear.

Advertisement