Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

oblivious wrote: »
    Traditional Cask ale is generally cheaper to keg, but cask is not considered craft generally.

Craft keg on the other hand has been gaining and increased price over standard keg and cask ale. Its even observed to be dearer in keg, when the same beer is avilable in cask

Keg beer costs more to produce because it has to be filtered, stored in a bright beer tank and carbonated. In theory it should cost more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

€2.45 for bottle of 8 degrees in Wetherspoons, thats cheaper than some off licences.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

irish_goat wrote: »
    Keg beer costs more to produce because it has to be filtered, stored in a bright beer tank and carbonated. In theory it should cost more.

London craft murk does not require the above and you can charge massively for it too :P

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Craft beers in Ireland are closer to macro prices in Ireland than any other European country I have recently visited. It's completely normal to sell craft beers for the same or higher price we have but in a 0.3l or 0.4l glass instead of a pint in UK, Finland, Italy, Denmark etc at least. Some beers are going to be expensive, and should be allowed to. Otherwise this country will never manufacture a good sour beer, there will just be sour grapes on message boards.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

snowblind wrote: »
    Craft beers in Ireland are closer to macro prices in Ireland than any other European country I have recently visited.

In Spain there is no comparison. Micros are expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

snowblind wrote: »
    Craft beers in Ireland are closer to macro prices in Ireland than any other European country I have recently visited. It's completely normal to sell craft beers for the same or higher price we have but in a 0.3l or 0.4l glass instead of a pint in UK, Finland, Italy, Denmark etc at least. Some beers are going to be expensive, and should be allowed to. Otherwise this country will never manufacture a good sour beer, there will just be sour grapes on message boards.

They're illegal measures in Ireland.

As long as you show the price you can serve it, bull and castle do it and Galway bay estate for some beers

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The UK has state-controlled measures for beer. We don't.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I paid €4.80 for a Beamish in the Duke today. Almost twice Spoons' price, before the Heino-Spoons split.

New menus done up already. Still €2.50 for the stout.

10441021_572795986185181_1370148799361138973_n.jpg?oh=d764783ac8bf29a54f6e2e9a56264b6b&oe=5507A06D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

"Revisionist Craft Stout" - is that the same stuff Tesco are selling?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Same brewery, same brand. Not sure if it's the same beer, though. The bottled Revisionist Lager is 5% ABV but it's 4% on draught, for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

I was half expecting this to be all smoke and mirrors, no messing around there

drumswan wrote: »

Yea they are defiantly playing some very hard ball.

But 2.45 for 8 degrees, that's cheap than my local off-licence see it at

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

drumswan wrote: »

I think its great. Fair f*cks to them. Im actually going to take a trip out to them over the xmas.

Their prices will actually pay for the taxi home.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The craft breweries seem to be in rip off mode as well, a pint of Guinness/Smithwicks in Limerick City Centre on Saturday night was €4.70 v €5.60 for O'Haras/Galway Hooker etc.
    If I saw o haras or G hooker at that price I would presume the publican is a chancer, like others are suggesting.

People are used to paying a premium for beers outside the norm, like budvar, erdinger etc. So I expect many publicans get in galway hooker and figure they can pass it off as another one in that group which typically costs more.

Or maybe some publicans are being ripped off, which would not surprise me, there was a poster before claiming to be in the trade here before paying outrageous prices for heinken longnecks, idiots.

rubadub wrote: »
    If I saw o haras or G hooker at that price I would presume the publican is a chancer, like others are suggesting.

People are used to paying a premium for beers outside the norm, like budvar, erdinger etc. So I expect many publicans get in galway hooker and figure they can pass it off as another one in that group which typically costs more.

Or maybe some publicans are being ripped off, which would not surprise me, there was a poster before claiming to be in the trade here before paying outrageous prices for heinken longnecks, idiots.

Tube/Dube over at NHC posted an approximate break down of who get what when you pay for your pint of craft *I can but presume that the information is correct*

€6 for a bottle of Irish craft at 4.3% abv breaks down as follows:
    Brewer: €1.76
    Govt Duty: €0.24
    Govt VAT: €1.22
    Publican: €2.88

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Tube/Dube over at NHC posted an approximate break down of who get what when you pay for your pint of craft *I can but presume that the information is correct*

Excise is approx 55c per pint.

To be exact, it's 22.55 per 100 L per %
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/excise/duties/excise-duty-rates.html

So it's 22.55 cent per litre per %

So it's 48.48 cent per 500ml bottle at 4.3%

A 500ml bottle at 6.00 can be broken down as follows:

6.00 less 23% VAT means 4.88, so the VAT is 1.12.

That 4.88 is split as follows:

(1) Gross margin to pub
    (2) Brewer selling cost incl 48.5 cent duty

What is NHC?

The VAT is wrong.

6.00 / 1.23 = 4.88, meaning 1.12 VAT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Geuze wrote: »

So it's 48.48 cent per 500ml bottle at 4.3%

I presume he's factoring in the 50% rebate.

What is NHC?.

National Homebrew club

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

rubadub wrote: »

Ive never seen Galway Hooker for under €5, including pubs in small towns.
    In fact I cant remember seeing it cheaper that Guinness anywhere I've been

4.50 for a pint of hooker in clarinbridge a few months back, Sherry's to be exact and great pizza too :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

Ravelleman wrote: »
    The advantage of this situation is that I can now re-commence my search for the cheapest pint of Beamish in Dublin - the race to the bottom.

€3.70 in the bar in Fagan's. Might have gone to €3.75 recently, haven't been in in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,242 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

€4.30 for the draft in my local.

4.50 - 4.60 in the Swagman, Sligo.

Might be more now, though I doubt it.

noby wrote: »
    I presume he's factoring in the 50% rebate.

Sorry, fair point.

Now given that a micro pays just 24.24 cent excise per 500ml beer at 4.3%, then more and more their prices seem too high.

The only defence is lack of economies of scale, which I admit may be substantial.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

such a pity we have had to wait this long for spoons to arrive! given the billions spent on alcohol here each year...

• Advertisement

The only defence is lack of economies of scale, which I admit may be substantial.

Very substantial, no doubt.

Advertisement