Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I guess some Heineken Ireland exec is packing his /her desk as we speak!

Dope!

I'm trying to resist the temptation to pop around the corner to their headquarters to laugh at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

irish_goat wrote: »
    Thing to remember is that they don't need to replace Heineken across the UK, they already sell plenty of other fizzy yellow beers over there. All they need is a lager and a stout for the republic. Would be great if they got O'Hara's in.

I think they'll find John Smiths a large void to fill in the UK.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

kooga wrote: »
    We essentially have two suppliers in ireland diageo and heineken irl. Thats it , it will be vey difficult for a pub to survive giving the irish pallet with neither one of the above suppliers.

JDW can and do just ship in stuff from their big UK partners like Marstons and Adnams. The state of play in Ireland isn't really relevant when they're effectively running a UK theme pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

unlike the uk where they have a history of local regional brewing unlike us i know its beginning to change. We essentially have two suppliers in ireland diageo and heineken irl.

Not many regional uk breweries produce yellow fizzy in keg that features in spoons, they are generally restricted to cask ale
    Thats it , it will be vey difficult for a pub to survive giving the irish pallet with neither one of the above suppliers.

I would love to be proved wrong................

None could have seem where Galway bay has gone to, when they started out. Taste change and so do public expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

oblivious wrote: »
    to quote the important bit
    JD Wetherspoon has announced that it is ditching Heineken across its entire 926-strong pub estate with immediate effect, after the drinks group refused to supply Heineken lager and Murphy’s stout to the company’s new pub in Dun Laoghaire in the Republic of Ireland.
    well done Heineken. Well done.

There was a similar spat between coke and Lidl in Germany that happened in the past 6months.
    Similar in, coke is massive, so is Lidl.
    Supplier thinking their brand is just unmissable, played chicken with shop looking to demand terms on what they'd like to supply and whatnot.
    Shop says grand, we wont stock your drink in our 3300 shops in Germany and a mere 54billion euro turnover. Within a month or so Coke had enough time to contemplate and come to an agreement with Lidl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

BeerNut wrote: »
    JDW can and do just ship in stuff from their big UK partners like Marstons and Adnams. The state of play in Ireland isn't really relevant when they're effectively running a UK theme pub.

http://www.channel5.com/shows/marstons-brewery-one-ale-of-a-job

loading as we speak! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Fair play to Wetherspoons; great to see a pub (chain) standing up to rather than colluding with the big brewers. And all the better if it means replacing macro beers with the likes of O'Haras.

Do they stock Five Lamps at the moment? You'd imagine it'd be a huge opportunity for them to push their Blackpitts porter and 5 Lamps lager...

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

"Heineken lager is Ireland's biggest selling draught beer"

Is that true - bigger than Guinness?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Can someone please attempt to explain the 'personal guarantee' that's mentioned in all the reports, what exactly was Heineken asking for?

Publicans' Morning Advertiser

The group (JDW) said that Heineken also demanded personal guarantees from Wetherspoon Chief Executive John Hutson in order to supply any other products to the Dun Laoghaire pub.

http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Company-City-News/Wetherspoon-s-ditches-Heineken-after-row-over-Irish-pub-drinks-supply/

Telegraph

The pub chain said the dispute, which has been brewing for just a few days, began when Heineken refused to supply lager and Murphy’s stout to its new branch and asked for a personal guarantee from John Hutson, its chief executive, to provide any other drinks.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/leisure/11281845/Wetherspoon-stops-serving-Heineken-in-a-row-over-supply.html

coylemj wrote: »
    Can someone please attempt to explain the 'personal guarantee' that's mentioned in all the reports, what exactly was Heineken asking for?

Publicans' Morning Advertiser

The group (JDW) said that Heineken also demanded personal guarantees from Wetherspoon Chief Executive John Hutson in order to supply any other products to the Dun Laoghaire pub.

http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Company-City-News/Wetherspoon-s-ditches-Heineken-after-row-over-Irish-pub-drinks-supply/

Telegraph

The pub chain said the dispute, which has been brewing for just a few days, began when Heineken refused to supply lager and Murphy’s stout to its new branch and asked for a personal guarantee from John Hutson, its chief executive, to provide any other drinks.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/leisure/11281845/Wetherspoon-stops-serving-Heineken-in-a-row-over-supply.html

A personal guarantee is to cover the credit received from the supplier. If JD Witherspoons folded, then whoever signed the personal guarantee would be liable for any money owed.

It's pretty standard practice when giving credit to small businesses. I think the issue here is that JDW have been doing business with Heineken without personal guarantees for 35
    years and have a massive profit book. Why would they suddenly need personal guarantees now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

They wanted a 'personal guarantee' from an individual to cover beer supplies to >900 pubs? Doesn't make any sense. Sounds like they wanted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭Speak Now

They wanted a 'personal guarantee' from an individual to cover beer supplies to >900 pubs? Doesn't make any sense. Sounds like they wanted out.

Guarantee they wouldn't sell the products so cheap in its Irish pubs id imagine.

RTE's take "The spat is another blow for Wetherspoon's ambitions in Ireland"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

A personal guarantee is to cover the credit received from the supplier. If JD Witherspoons folded, then whoever signed the personal guarantee would be liable for any money owed.

It's pretty standard practice when giving credit to small businesses. I think the issue here is that JDW have been doing business with Heineken without personal guarantees for 35
    years and have a massive profit book. Why would they suddenly need personal guarantees now?

The only reason I can think of is maybe Heineken were afraid the Irish operation could shut up shop and leave them in the lurch.

Still seems crazy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

No sounds more like compliance , lets get all the boxes on the form for a new pubs ticked.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,147 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Are we sure it was a credit guarantee?

Given that JD WS have 900 pubs +, and huge t/o, their credit is good, surely?

It must be something else?

hardCopy wrote: »
    The only reason I can think of is maybe Heineken were afraid the Irish operation could shut up shop and leave them in the lurch.

Still seems crazy though.

Hmmm, I wonder could that be it?

On the one hand, JD WS have opened one pub and are due to open two more soon. They have also bought several sites/pubs.

On the other hand, Heineken may have more insider info????

It's not clear to me whether the guarantee was to cover the credit for beer in just the new Dun Laoighre pub or for the entire operation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

O Haras would be a perfect fit for a draught stout.

It must be a pricing issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,240 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

My guess is that under pressure from its other customers in Ireland, Heineken wanted JDW to sell its products at a higher price point and stop making the other pubs look so expensive.

If so, well done JDW in calling their bluff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Guarantee they wouldn't sell the products so cheap in its Irish pubs id imagine.

RTE's take "The spat is another blow for Wetherspoon's ambitions in Ireland"

I bet that's what it was, a fear that Irish consumers and publicans will see it as a devaluing of the Heineken "Hino" brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

My guess is that under pressure from its other customers in Ireland, Heineken wanted JDW to sell its products at a higher price point and stop making the other pubs look so expensive.

If so, well done JDW in calling their bluff.
    sounds quite likely.

I was chatting to a member of staff in a relatively new Cork craft bar last christmas who said that a certain overhyped italian lager wouldnt be supplied unless they sell it at a higher price point than they were willing to do.
    (EDIT. from double checking its wasn't a Heineken brand of beer)

I never heard of such nonesense before but if overpricing is common in the industry as something done to boost a brand image, then its a valid possibility

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

It's about time an outsider came in and smashed the cosy cartel between the breweries and the vintners.

sounds quite likely.

I was chatting to a member of staff in a relatively new Cork craft bar last christmas who said that a certain overhyped italian lager wouldnt be supplied unless they sell it at a higher price point than they were willing to do.
    (EDIT. from double checking its wasn't a Heineken brand of beer)

I never heard of such nonesense before but if overpricing is common in the industry as something done to boost a brand image, then its a valid possibility

sounds similiar to a pal of mine in the trade who wanted to stock beamish in his bar but in order to do so had to take tiger on draft and lcharge €5 a pint, and this is in a small county town!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

sounds similiar to a pal of mine in the trade who wanted to stock beamish in his bar but in order to do so had to take tiger on draft and lcharge €5 a pint, and this is in a small county town!

A pal of mine was forced to take Paulaner and Bluemoon as well at €5 a pint in exchange for stocking Beamish Genuine Irish Stout.

Somebody needs to give these boys a ring in the dam and explain!

HEINEKEN International Head Office

Visiting address:
    Tweede Weteringplantsoen 21
    1017 ZD Amsterdam
    NetherlandsGoogle Maps
    Tel: +31 (0)20 523 92 39

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Tefral

Somebody needs to give these boys a ring in the dam and explain!

HEINEKEN International Head Office

Visiting address:
    Tweede Weteringplantsoen 21
    1017 ZD Amsterdam
    NetherlandsGoogle Maps
    Tel: +31 (0)20 523 92 39

While your at it drop John Hudson an email to say thanks! jhutson@jdwetherspoon.co.uk :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

maybe Fullers and Greene King might step in............and supply wetherspoons

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Tabnabs wrote: »

You can almost hear the beeping of the Heineken decision to look for the guarantee going into reverse.

Advertisement