Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,440 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Sure Wetherspoons should stay open, minimum stay 3 weeks.
    Leave on your feet or in a coffin, que sera sera.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Disgusting behaviour by Wetherspoons. They have plenty of cash but are abusing the current situation and telling suppliers here that they are not getting paid until the end of this crisis.

How can anyone support a company that acts in such a selfish manner.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/agribusiness-and-food/wetherspoon-suspends-payments-to-suppliers-in-republic-1.4212790

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

silver2020 wrote: »
    Because having to ethically vet every company you use, including the ones that don't get newspaper stories written about them, would be exhausting.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

BeerNut wrote: »
    Because having to ethically vet every company you use, including the ones that don't get newspaper stories written about them, would be exhausting.

Ah not really, its quite easy to see what spoons is about. Years at it. Takes half a second to know the companys you give business too.

This guys splashes himself in the public eye, you dont ever need to look.

Prefer to give my business to Irish Companies frankly. Local Breweries at the top of the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

So even though you know for definite that a company is behaving unethically, they get a pass because you don't know the status of every other company?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

they have over £40m sitting in their bank account and they tell their staff and their suppliers to take a hike.

Very few businesses would treat staff or supplier like that - that why it gets headlines.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    So even though you know for definite that a company is behaving unethically, they get a pass because you don't know the status of every other company?
    It's not an exam. There are no passes to be given. Businesses don't divide into the ethical ones (good) and the unethical ones (bad), though journalists and marketing people have an interest in pitching them that way.

It's not an exam. There are no passes to be given. Businesses don't divide into the ethical ones (good) and the unethical ones (bad), though journalists and marketing people have an interest in pitching them that way.

Pitching, or just stating facts? In fairness, aul Timbo does a good job of getting his message out there on his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,871 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Their smaller suppliers in the UK are being encouraged to submit a wind-up petition to the companies office in London against JD Wetherspoon, citing inability to pay their debts.

Its a genius move really, cos they must either concede it or defend it by showing they do have the ability to pay and hence go on to explain why they haven't.

I don't want to see anyone lose their job, but I will make it my business to contribute to the ending of Wetherspoons presence in Ireland. Tim Martin is a cheat and a charlatan straight out of the Trump play book.

And the STATE of the pints they serve.

Pitching, or just stating facts?
    Pitching. Nothing in the media or marketing worlds should be accepted at face value, in my opinion. But that's just my opinion: I'm not going to wonder out loud why everyone doesn't agree with me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

silver2020 wrote: »
    Disgusting behaviour by Wetherspoons. They have plenty of cash but are abusing the current situation and telling suppliers here that they are not getting paid until the end of this crisis.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/agribusiness-and-food/wetherspoon-suspends-payments-to-suppliers-in-republic-1.4212790

Not too up with business-y jargon! But reading that article the headline says "Wetherspoon suspends payments .." and then the article says “We are asking for a moratorium on payments until the pubs reopen, at which point we intend to clear outstanding payments within a short timeframe." which would imply to me that they haven't suspended yet and are asking? So could a supplier just say we cannot help you out here etc?

With the whole COVID thing I've been following the media more than I would usually and everything seems so imprecise(?) to me :)

And are we to feel sorry for these suppliers who clearly are happy to supply this so called terrible pub and owner? It's hard to keep up!

Should the title not be "Wetherspoon ASKS suppliers who have cosied up with them and done really well to suspend payments for a bit"

Pitching. Nothing in the media or marketing worlds should be accepted at face value, in my opinion. But that's just my opinion: I'm not going to wonder out loud why everyone doesn't agree with me.

Fair enough on marketing, but nothing in the media? Wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Will never be drinking in there again after how they have treated their staff. Suggest everyone does the same

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Boycott them when pubs open again.

Fair enough on marketing, but nothing in the media? Wow.
    Ever experienced the Gell-Mann amnesia effect? It really makes you question what you read. Or it should :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Soon be able to do a Spoons pub crawl in Dublin.

Pub group JD Wetherspoon has secured planning permission for a new Irish outlet in Dublin's Grand Canal Dock.

Dublin City Council approved the application to convert the former HQ bar and restaurant on Hanover Quay which Wetherspoons bought last year, and to amalgamate it with the former Nutbutter restaurant on Forbes Street.

The UK-based pub chain said it spends an average of €2m on the conversion of each new pub.

Wetherspoons said it was important for the council to appreciate that its outlets were "not just pubs in the conventional sense, nor should they be considered to provide super-pubs".

The company estimates food will account for 45pc-50pc of sales at the Hanover Quay outlet.

The new pub was scheduled to begin trading by early June but its opening date is likely to be pushed back due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The group, which operates over 900 pubs in the UK, currently has seven pubs in Ireland, with five in Dublin and one each in Cork and Carlow. As part of a €30m investment in the Republic, Wetherspoons is also opening a new pub on Camden Street in Dublin, which will incorporate an 89-bedroom hotel, with other outlets planned for Galway and Waterford.

The pub chain has recently faced strong criticism over its treatment of staff and suppliers during the Covid-19 pandemic after it shut outlets.

In its planning application, Wetherspoons said its reputation was "very positive in the UK when it comes to the revitalisation of historic buildings".
    https://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/green-light-for-wetherspoons-pub-39095868.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Interesting, a 5 min walk from BrewDog...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Have always thought that Hanover Quay location is a bit bizarre for Spoons. There was a survey recently that said 94% of apartment rentals in the Docklands are to non-nationals primarily working for tech companies like Google, Facebook. They get free food at work anyway and in the evenings wouldnt think twice about droppng 40 euro on a Deliveroo from a quality restaurant locally. Its hard to see that crowd rushing to Spoons for a 9.95 burger and drink in the evenings.

Anyway with the pub industry up in the air I wonder might Spoons take advantage of other opportunities coming up in the city. If banks/landlords dont show forebearance to publicans we might be seeing forced sales and leases being surrendered.

Have always thought that Hanover Quay location is a bit bizarre for Spoons. There was a survey recently that said 94% of apartment rentals in the Docklands are to non-nationals primarily working for tech companies like Google, Facebook. They get free food at work anyway and in the evenings wouldnt think twice about droppng 40 euro on a Deliveroo from a quality restaurant locally. Its hard to see that crowd rushing to Spoons for a 9.95 burger and drink in the evenings. They will get some trade from the Grand Canal Theatre but even some of that crowd would be a bit snooty about eating in Spoons, Swan Lake preceded by a big plate of chicken wings isnt exactly a great match either.

Anyway with the pub industry up in the air I wonder might Spoons take advantage of other opportunities coming up in the city. If banks/landlords dont show forebearance to publicans we might be seeing forced sales and leases being surrendered.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The BGET does mass market musicals far more often than it does ballet...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,245 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Mrs D and I were at an event in the BGET late last year, the food options in the area were limited, expensive and poor quality, we sorely regretted not eating in the city centre before we headed out there.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Have always thought that Hanover Quay location is a bit bizarre for Spoons. There was a survey recently that said 94% of apartment rentals in the Docklands are to non-nationals primarily working for tech companies like Google, Facebook. They get free food at work anyway and in the evenings wouldnt think twice about droppng 40 euro on a Deliveroo from a quality restaurant locally. Its hard to see that crowd rushing to Spoons for a 9.95 burger and drink in the evenings. They will get some trade from the Grand Canal Theatre but even some of that crowd would be a bit snooty about eating in Spoons, Swan Lake preceded by a big plate of chicken wings isnt exactly a great match either.

Plenty of areas classified as very disadvantaged, disadvantaged, or below average within walking distance. The varying shades of yellow to orange on this map. There are over 50 council owned apartments in Shelbourne plaza on Charlotte Quay too.

508369.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Never forget how these treated their staff before you hand over your $$$

• Registered Users Posts: 9,725 ✭✭✭hynesie08

RasTa wrote: »
    Never forget how these treated their staff before you hand over your $$$

Absolutely, and make sure you hold press up, the mercantile group, the odeon group, porterhouse and brewdog to the same standards.....

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

I don't think Wetherspoons will be affected by any bad publicity.

Just like Ryanair their main appeal is low prices.

People will probably still flock to them when they reopen.

n97 mini wrote: »
    Plenty of areas classified as very disadvantaged, disadvantaged, or below average within walking distance. The varying shades of yellow to orange on this map. There are over 50 council owned apartments in Shelbourne plaza on Charlotte Quay too.

Yeah hard to know if thats enough to sustain them. Plus are the regulars in places like Neds and the Windjammer going to take a walk down to Hanover Quay? Remains to be seen but its not exactly on their door step. They might get a few punters too from Ringend but its still a bit of a strange location imo right in the heart of 3k a month apartments filled by people who arent exactly your average pub going crowd. Time will tell but I cant see it being that busy when it does open, it will tick over but it wont be doing massive revenues compared to other locations IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Yeah hard to know if thats enough to sustain them. Plus are the regulars in places like Neds and the Windjammer going to take a walk down to Hanover Quay? Remains to be seen but its not exactly on their door step. They might get a few punters too from Ringend but its still a bit of a strange location imo right in the heart of 3k a month apartments filled by people who arent exactly your average pub going crowd. Time will tell but I cant see it being that busy when it does open.

I work in that location for one of the big multinationals. I can assure you that Wednesday to Friday it will be extremely busy with the younger office folk in the evenings.
    Also our lunch options in general are quite restrictive in GCD. This will do a huge trade for food Monday to Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

After this shot storm. The unemployment, pay cuts etc , they will be mobbed!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Absolutely, and make sure you hold press up, the mercantile group, the odeon group, porterhouse and brewdog to the same standards.....
    A fairly well known landmark pub near me was allegedly raided for having a lock in last tuesday, on facebook I see people saying they did on Paddys day too.

Can't see it in the media so will not mention who, but have others seen reports of any raids? Didn't think it would be worth the risk.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yeah hard to know if thats enough to sustain them. Plus are the regulars in places like Neds and the Windjammer going to take a walk down to Hanover Quay? Remains to be seen but its not exactly on their door step. They might get a few punters too from Ringend but its still a bit of a strange location imo right in the heart of 3k a month apartments filled by people who arent exactly your average pub going crowd. Time will tell but I cant see it being that busy when it does open, it will tick over but it wont be doing massive revenues compared to other locations IMO.

Well, regulars in Neds have had to go somewhere else already as it was demolished months ago.

Advertisement