Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Having now tried three Wetherspoons' in Ireland since they opened, I'll say that in my experience so far, the Dun Laoghaire Forty Foot may be a bit of an exceptional treat as far as they go. I've been to Dun Laoghaire, Blackrock and Abbey Street, and while I enjoyed all of them (and am badly in need of their prices at the moment :D ) Dun Laoghaire is definitely a league above the other two. Dun Laoghaire has a very open plan design which makes it feel a lot more sociable in my view, whereas Blackrock is full of nooks and crannies which can make it difficult to find anywhere to have a group together - and Abbey Street is just too gigantic to have the same atmosphere, although as I say I did enjoy being there and I'll certainly be back.

Dun Laoghaire just seems to have really lucked out with a very nice design for those who like the atmosphere of a shared or open pub experience with other punters. I imagine those who prefer snug-based pubs with less emphasis on communal atmosphere and more on individual or group privacy and intimacy would probably find themselves preferring Blackrock. Abbey Street is difficult to quantify in this regard as it's just so vast and labyrinthine.

Anyone else feel this way about the DL location? Would I be alone in finding it leagues above either Blackrock or Abbey St in terms of design and atmosphere? Could obviously be local resident bias shining through :D:D:D

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

No, I'd have to agree that the Forty Foot is definitely my favourite of the Dublin JDWs too. By a good distance.

Looking forward to seeing what Camden Street turns out like. That's one I could potentially see myself in regularly enough if it hits the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,639 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

DL my favourite too, where else in Dublin can you drink quality beer for decent prices and have a superb sea view.

Looking forward to Camden Street as well, I think it will be hopping when it opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Muahahaha wrote: »
    DL my favourite too, where else in Dublin can you drink quality beer for decent prices and have a superb sea view.

Looking forward to Camden Street as well, I think it will be hopping when it opens.

Im a huge fan of blackrock on a cold day, that couch infront of the fire is heaven.

Camden street will likely become my pre drinking spot (along with half the city) when it opens. Hopefully they leave a TV out of it completely to stop it becoming rammed during rugby/gaa/soccer season.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,639 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Was in the DL venue yesterday and they must be having some delivery problems post Xmas. All 12 burgers were off the menu, they had no chicken korma, no Pepsi and no chicken tenders. The food we did order eventually came after a long wait and was served with no cutlery ! Some of the staff seemed clueless and were just aimlessly wandering about the place. Maybe we got them on a bad day (even though it wasnt all that busy, about 50% full.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,199 ✭✭✭maximoose

Was in the DL venue yesterday and they must be having some delivery problems post Xmas. All 12 burgers were off the menu, they had no chicken korma, no Pepsi and no chicken tenders. The food we did order eventually came after a long wait and was served with no cutlery ! Some of the staff seemed clueless and were just aimlessly wandering about the place. Maybe we got them on a bad day (even though it wasnt all that busy, about 50% full.

It was the same in Abbey street the other day, a lot of meat options out of stock due to some delivery issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Yeah we had a disaster of a time there on the 28th/29th, also no beef, or breaded chicken, basically half the menu gone, the app was down and the staff couldn't have given less of a sh/te...

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

Baileys was out of stock in the dun laoghaire venue Saturday. I mean, they already don't have irish coffee on the menu at all which is a disgrace (they have whiskey and they have coffee, how hard would it be to add that exactly), but then at least let me order a shot of baileys so I can pour that in my coffee so I have at least something similar-ish .......

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

machaseh wrote: »
    they already don't have irish coffee on the menu at all which is a disgrace (they have whiskey and they have coffee, how hard would it be to add that exactly)
    Very hard, when you scale it up to chain level. I'm sure they have the numbers on all sorts of drinks they've decided not to sell. A barman popping into the kitchen to get a squirt of cream for an Irish coffee might work in a pub, but it doesn't work on the JDW model.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

BeerNut wrote: »
    Very hard, when you scale it up to chain level. I'm sure they have the numbers on all sorts of drinks they've decided not to sell. A barman popping into the kitchen to get a squirt of cream for an Irish coffee might work in a pub, but it doesn't work on the JDW model.

Even more so because all their coffees are self service from the machines.

• Advertisement

irish_goat wrote: »
    Even more so because all their coffees are self service from the machines.
    Forgot about that! Yep, the bar staff don't serve coffee so definitely can't serve Irish coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I have no idea if you can get cream in the Spooner with anything on the food menu, but if so you could just order coffee and whiskey and mix it all together yourself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I have no idea if you can get cream in the Spooner with anything on the food menu, but if so you could just order coffee and whiskey and mix it all together yourself :D

Maybe throw in a scoop of vanilla ice cream, pretty sure they serve that - as a Plan B.
    They should really have Baileys though.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Vic_08

machaseh wrote: »
    Baileys was out of stock in the dun laoghaire venue Saturday. I mean, they already don't have irish coffee on the menu at all which is a disgrace (they have whiskey and they have coffee, how hard would it be to add that exactly), but then at least let me order a shot of baileys so I can pour that in my coffee so I have at least something similar-ish .......

I think you need to be more realistic about what spoons is. They are the pub equivalent of discount supermarkets, you are not going to get anything beyond their set items and they won't live up to the sort of flexible service a good Irish pub can provide, the payoff being cheaper drinks and food than you will get elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Baileys + Whiskey + Coffee... sorted.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

They could serve you a cup with a shot of Baileys in it no bother but you're not gonna get cream just. They'd also charge you for the Baileys and coffee seperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

irish_goat wrote: »
    They could serve you a cup with a shot of Baileys in it no bother but you're not gonna get cream just. They'd also charge you for the Baileys and coffee seperate.

Yes which is what I was after but sadly they were out of baileys.

The wetherspoons app actually knew that they were out of baileys before the staff themselves did. I saw on the app that they were out so I asked at the top bar in DL, they said they were out but told me to check the lower bar, so I went there and your man ran off to the top bar to check hah.

Next time I wont even bother if the app says theyre out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭Blut2

I've gotten a coffee (and a few hot chocolates) and a double Baileys before. Just added the Baileys myself. Wasn't too difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Is there any chance of them doing a deal to sell Guinness?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Had my first Wetherspoons experience yesterday. I was over in London for a couple days and we popped into the one beside the Tower of London for a quick something to eat with a beer. The location and the views were amazing.
    Nothing wrong with the beer either, in fact it was lovely, but the food was shocking. I wasn’t expecting much tbh but I thought it was really sub standard. I suppose you get what you pay for. Is the food that bad in the Irish ones?

The place was jammed though. They also fairly packed the tables in. Not much room to move about as the tables were so close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yes, the food in Ireland is that bad.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Yeah, wouldn't have a meal there unless I was stuck. Apart from the breakfasts which are grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I had chicken wings in the Stanstead one, recently and thought they were great.
    It's going back a few years now, but I also enjoyed the veg chilli in Blanch a few times.

Is there any chance of them doing a deal to sell Guinness?
    It's always possible but I think it's unlikely. They thought they would need it to get Irish customers in, but I'd say by now they have the figures to show that they don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Fish and chips is passable. Steak is decent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

as regards food ive tried the curry and its nice enough.
    tried chicken and avacodo salad ..poor ...very poor
    tried a pizza... ok but having it with punk ipa for 9euro blanaces the taste of the food.

In Cork one you'd see a few older lads sipping on the Real ale more now than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Any word when Camden St will be graced with a Wetherspoon?

In December they were saying summer 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

RasTa wrote: »
    Fish and chips is passable.

That’s what I had.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

BaZmO* wrote: »
    That’s what I had.

Yeah, I compare it to the chipper. Mushy peas and tartar sauce save it, with some vinegar.

Plus the meal only costs £3 quid or something. £7.60 up here with a pint of Punk.

Punk alone is £5.70 in the brewdog pub.

Advertisement