Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

RasTa wrote: »
    Yeah, I compare it to the chipper. Mushy peas and tartar sauce save it, with some vinegar.

Plus the meal only costs £3 quid or something. £7.60 up here with a pint of Punk.

Punk alone is £5.70 in the brewdog pub.

Yeah price wise you can’t really complain. It was €23 for 2 meals and 2 drinks. I always knew that it wasn’t Michelin star level but I was just surprised at how poor it was. I probably wouldn’t have noticed as much if I’d had a few beers in me already and just treated it as cheap fuel.

On the plus side, I did have a lovely beer from Oakham Ales, Inception. Pity you can’t their beers over here anymore. Drinkstore had them in for a while a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Is there any chance of them doing a deal to sell Guinness?
    It would be very unlikely, their business models are completely incompatible.
    Diageo need to sell expensive beer, Wetherspoons don't do that.
    That and I doubt Wetherspoons get dictated to by suppliers and aren't willing to start.

I hope they don't as well, it's good to see someone challenge the rip-off pub scene in this country.
    Maybe Guinness drinkers will be forced to try something else and Diageo will lose their stranglehold.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

It's best to see spoons as your local not-so-great chipper except you can also get leathered.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

The Spoons' in Derry, which was bought a few years ago is back up for sale.

https://www.derrynow.com/news/derry-news/509678/derry-bar-granny-annies-up-for-sale-at-1-5m.html

Can't imagine Spoons' will buy it back at that price. It's also been decorated to look like something out of the Wild West so it'd need a bit of work done to make it look normal again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,639 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

irish_goat wrote: »
    The Spoons' in Derry, which was bought a few years ago is back up for sale.

https://www.derrynow.com/news/derry-news/509678/derry-bar-granny-annies-up-for-sale-at-1-5m.html

Can't imagine Spoons' will buy it back at that price. It's also been decorated to look like something out of the Wild West so it'd need a bit of work done to make it look normal again.

haha Wild West indeed, first and last time I was in that Spoons a huge fight kicked off just as I had barely taken a bite out of my burger. Got out of there sharpish, all the staff had ran from the bar area into the kitchen for safety.

On the Guinness thing, are they still selling it in Spoons in the UK? Seem to remember it being on tap some place years back so they must have got cheap prices for a supply off Guinness over there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Muahahaha wrote: »

On the Guinness thing, are they still selling it in Spoons in the UK? Seem to remember it being on tap some place years back so they must have got cheap prices for a supply off Guinness over there.

The one I was in in London had it. £4.59 a pint, so not cheap, but I’d say that’s just a London thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

Do any of the wetherspoons in Dublin have parking?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

ceekay74 wrote: »
    Blanchardstown does as it's part of the Westend Village retail park.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,942 ✭✭✭✭GBX

ceekay74 wrote: »

There is parking behind The Silver Penny in the Park Rite at the Irish Life centre
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/The+Silver+Penny+-+JD+Wetherspoon/@53.3494396,-6.2561909,18z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x48670f7fe7a6e9c3:0x710f8ec09265a8a!8m2!3d53.3490922!4d-6.2565557

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

Swords has limited parking also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,841 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Forty Foot in Dun Laoghaire is easier to get at by boat I think. They don't like cars there.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Vic_08

odyssey06 wrote: »
    The Forty Foot in Dun Laoghaire is easier to get at by boat I think. They don't like cars there.

It is surrounded by car parks, there are 4 within a few minutes walk, not counting the car park underneath the building the Forty Foot is part of.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Any word when Camden St will be graced with a Wetherspoon?

I drove past it last week it looked they were getting ready to open it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

An article on a reputable enough industry site claims Camden Street isn't due until June and that HQ will be converted and open before then. Which seems quite unlikely.

I was in wetherspoons on abbey street today it seems to be a lot less busy than when it opened last year.

Also they had no security on the door when I was there today.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

Big Gerry wrote: »
    I was in wetherspoons on abbey street today it seems to be a lot less busy than when it opened last year.

Also they had no security on the door when I was there today.

Me mate is one of the doormen, there is security but they also sometimes have to go inside to arrange some other stuff etc.

The novelty of the place has died off a bit. For example I used to go there more often with me mates but the novelty of it has died down and now we only go there rarely.

For whatever reason Wetherspoons has no atmosphere.

I wonder is that deliberate ?

For whatever reason Wetherspoons has no atmosphere.
    The light is brighter than normal for bars in Ireland and there's no music. I think that's all "no atmosphere" really means.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

English pubs haven't a tap on Irish pubs either.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BillyBird

BeerNut wrote: »
    The light is brighter than normal for bars in Ireland

Does anybody know why this is. Seems to be a thing for English pubs (i.e. in England), not sure why.
    Maybe if you are used to it it makes no difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

The light is brighter than normal for bars in Ireland and there's no music. I think that's all "no atmosphere" really means.

Sounds like my type of pub !

Wetherspoons just doesn't feel like a real pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,504 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Wetherspoons just doesn't feel like a real pub.

Especially in the wallet!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

It would be very unlikely, their business models are completely incompatible.
    Diageo need to sell expensive beer, Wetherspoons don't do that.
    That and I doubt Wetherspoons get dictated to by suppliers and aren't willing to start.

I hope they don't as well, it's good to see someone challenge the rip-off pub scene in this country.
    Maybe Guinness drinkers will be forced to try something else and Diageo will lose their stranglehold.

Belfast Wetherspoon sells Guinness .Around £3.5 a pint (sterling )

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Had my first Wetherspoons experience yesterday. I was over in London for a couple days and we popped into the one beside the Tower of London for a quick something to eat with a beer. The location and the views were amazing.
    Nothing wrong with the beer either, in fact it was lovely, but the food was shocking. I wasn’t expecting much tbh but I thought it was really sub standard. I suppose you get what you pay for. Is the food that bad in the Irish ones?

The place was jammed though. They also fairly packed the tables in. Not much room to move about as the tables were so close.

Their breakfast is good I.M.O.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

anto9 wrote: »
    Belfast Wetherspoon sells Guinness .Around £3.5 a pint (sterling )

They bring that over from Britain though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

irish_goat wrote: »
    They bring that over from Britain though.

They could bring it up from the Lisburn Road after it’s been brought to Belfast from Dublin in tankers but they probably bring it from a central distribution depot somewhere on the mainland.

they probably bring it from a central distribution depot somewhere on the mainland.
    I'd say there's a fair chance that the Guinness you get served in The Bridge House has been brewed in Dublin, trucked to Belfast for watering-down and kegging, shipped to a JDW warehouse in England and then shipped all the way back over to the pub in Belfast. Can't see any Brexit related problems for oul Timbo there :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Especially in the wallet!
    and the choice of drinks.
    brewed in Dublin, trucked to Belfast for watering-down and kegging,
    Yes, that is what I thought happened. The guinness in spoons is usually 4.1% vs 4.2% in pubs here (many think it is 4.3% like many other beers).

I remember the aviva stadium threatened to get their guinness shipped back from the UK as it was cheaper to do so, and that was factoring in the VAT/duty and retransport costs.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    The guinness in spoons is usually 4.1% vs 4.2% in pubs here
    The Guinness throughout the UK is 4.1%. If those numbers are accurate it would mean that at the packaging plants in Belfast and Runcorn the same liquid is being watered to 4.2% for the Republic and 4.1% for the UK. I think that's unlikely and that they're both the same. The declared strength can be +/-0.5% so it's probably only for historical marketing reasons that they're different.

Advertisement