Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Absolutely, and make sure you hold press up, the mercantile group, the odeon group, porterhouse and brewdog to the same standards.....

A thread with places we can go might be easier at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

L1011 wrote: »
    Well, regulars in Neds have had to go somewhere else already as it was demolished months ago.

ah no, another proper boozer done in. The Jammer must be extra jammed since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭sceach16

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    A thread with places we can go might be easier at this stage!

Can we come back to this thread in the fall?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Dunno about non-nationals not visiting Spoons. They'd surely appreciate the low prices given what they would be used to paying back home, plus the Spoons in Derry always got a good few of the local Polish in, presumably because you could get a good selection of Polish beers. Course, that might all change if Tim ever goes ahead with his plan to stop stocking as many EU products.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,245 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

sceach16 wrote: »
    Can we come back to this thread in the fall?

The what? :rolleyes:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

irish_goat wrote: »
    Dunno about non-nationals not visiting Spoons. They'd surely appreciate the low prices given what they would be used to paying back home, plus the Spoons in Derry always got a good few of the local Polish in, presumably because you could get a good selection of Polish beers. Course, that might all change if Tim ever goes ahead with his plan to stop stocking as many EU products.

I'd say 90% of Non-Nationals drink at home.

Most of them can't believe the price of drink when they come here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Big Gerry wrote: »
    I'd say 90% of Non-Nationals drink at home.

Most of them can't believe the price of drink when they come here.

I'd believe a lot of them can't believe the price of a pint or a spirit plus mixer in a city centre bar. But that surely suggests they will be attracted to go to spoons. They also won't have the ingrained preconceptions of Wetherspoons that people here and in the UK have, i.e. that the beer is no good, or there's no atmosphere.

irish_goat wrote: »
    I'd believe a lot of them can't believe the price of a pint or a spirit plus mixer in a city centre bar. But that surely suggests they will be attracted to go to spoons. They also won't have the ingrained preconceptions of Wetherspoons that people here and in the UK have, i.e. that the beer is no good, or there's no atmosphere.

Even with the likes of Wetherspoons its still far cheaper to drink at home.

Some East Europeans think paying 3 Euro is too much for a beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Big Gerry wrote: »

Some East Europeans think paying 3 Euro is too much for a beer.

It is when they are used to pay around €1.50, give or take

The most expensive beer I've had in eastern Europe was around €3, 4 tops

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Barna77 wrote: »

Both Riga and Tallinn can easily beat that now in the touristy bits; and the craft bars.

Riga is strikingly un-cheap for everything (except taxis) compared to the average income there.

• Advertisement

Barna77 wrote: »

They must get a heart attack when they visit temple bar and see a pint costs between 7 to 8 Euro.

Eastern Europeans aside a lot of non-nationals arent big drinkers anyway, at least not to Irish/British levels. Italians, French, etc dont go out to get bladdered like we do.

That area is chock a block with 3k a month apartments, you'd need to be on a 100k+ salary to afford to live there. So I think its safe to say that the non-nationals living in the area are not price sensitive. For sure some will go to Spoons to check it out but they wont be there because they want to save a few quid over other venues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

We've more non-nationals than East Europeans. A lot working in tech are from Western European countries and the US. My own experience of spoons is there are plenty of EE customers, and no so many of the latter group, but they do exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah hard to know if thats enough to sustain them. Plus are the regulars in places like Neds and the Windjammer going to take a walk down to Hanover Quay? Remains to be seen but its not exactly on their door step. They might get a few punters too from Ringend but its still a bit of a strange location imo right in the heart of 3k a month apartments filled by people who arent exactly your average pub going crowd. Time will tell but I cant see it being that busy when it does open, it will tick over but it wont be doing massive revenues compared to other locations IMO.

I think that location will do well during the week, lots companies in the area have graduates and plenty of people that will be more inclined to go for after work drinks when you can spend less than €50. Also the few pre drinks and post drinks after a show in the bord Gaia will help. Don't forget they might get people going to the Aviva, RDS and Three Arena for some cheap pre drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

These boys have done their sums and their research.
    They don’t tend to buy if they think it won’t work.
    They’ll do very well at this location.

heffo500 wrote: »
    I think that location will do well during the week, lots companies in the area have graduates and plenty of people that will be more inclined to go for after work drinks when you can spend less than €50. Also the few pre drinks and post drinks after a show in the bord Gaia will help. Don't forget they might get people going to the Aviva, RDS and Three Arena for some cheap pre drinks.

I think they'll tick over nicely Mon to Fri, Id say weekends could be a bit of a famine though in that location, especially during the daytime. For sure a lot of graduates might have one or two there after work but they wont be on a piss up as they work for professional companies where hangovers are frowned upon. Fridays will be mobbed for proper sessions though. They'll definitely do okay from the Grand Canal Theater on the nights shows are on, lots of food to be sold there before people see a show.

They might get a bit from the Three Arena though it would be better if that new bridge was built across the river as its an awkward walk involving doubling back on yourself. Though personally I think the Gibson is a fab place for pre show pints or food as theres always a great buzz about it with fellow concert goers.

I still think its a bit of a bizarre move as much of their trade in that location will be dependent on people coming into the area from outside it. Being surrounded by thousands of people earning six figure sums doesnt seem a good fit for Spoons selling cheap beer and food. Non nationals living on their doorstep are unlikely to be the backbone of their business. Maybe they'll get some trade from lads who leave their regular Pearse St and Ringsend boozers, time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,685 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

The what? :rolleyes:

The fall of mankind.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'm going to get slated for this but people from other countries aren't non nationals - they have nationalities - they are foreign nationals.

They also aren't a homogeneous group.

Spoons announced that Camden Street will open in October this year. It will be called the Keavens Port, theyve gotten the old maps out again and thats what the area was once called. Its 89 bedrooms, 2 bars and 2 outdoor areas. Part of the original chapel from when the building was a convent has been restored.

They also said its the biggest single investment in the companies history, circa 21 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Spoons announced that Camden Street will open in October this year. It will be called the Keavens Port, theyve gotten the old maps out again and thats what the area was once called. Its 89 bedrooms, 2 bars and 2 outdoor areas. Part of the original chapel from when the building was a convent has been restored.

They also said its the biggest single investment in the companies history, circa 21 million.

Neverspoons the way to go now. Due to their treatment of their worker's I'm boycotting their ass, only supporting Irish pubs now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Obviously heavily researched coppers and Diceys turnover

As above that crazy haired looper won't be getting my cash. He's a brexit zealot and is terrible to his staff. The worst kind of nationalist.

listermint wrote: »
    Obviously heavily researched coppers and Diceys turnover

As above that crazy haired looper won't be getting my cash. He's a brexit zealot and is terrible to his staff. The worst kind of nationalist.

Unfortunately, the Coppers/Dicey's types won't have any such ethics in the face of cheap mediocre pints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah I'm never going back in. Although I walked by a few in Manchester yesterday and where busy enough for 2pm

I’d be all for never going near a Wetherspoons but I’d be wary of falling into the illusion that all Irish owned pubs and businesses are great to staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

McGaggs wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the Coppers/Dicey's types won't have any such ethics in the face of cheap mediocre pints.

Probably been discussed here before but out of interest why do you say mediocre?

Chelon wrote: »
    Probably been discussed here before but out of interest why do you say mediocre?

The pints in Dicey's, when I last went there, didn't taste great. Switching to bottles didn't help, as they were so bad at stocking them they would be served warm.

I don't recall how the pints in Coppers were, so I may be being harsh there. Although I can safely brand their music as mediocre.

Just realised I worded my post Backwards. Not calling Spoons pints mediocre, but Dicey's pints

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

McGaggs wrote: »
    The pints in Dicey's, when I last went there, didn't taste great. Switching to bottles didn't help, as they were so bad at stocking them they would be served warm.

I don't recall how the pints in Coppers were, so I may be being harsh there. Although I can safely brand their music as mediocre.

Ok got you, would agree the pints there, "mediocre" is being kind. I did start a thread on here on Guinness quality many moons ago as in my experience it can vary wildly. I called a few pubs out on it and the thread got shut down so I'm not starting to name names again lol. As we all know some pubs just don't look after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

As we all know some pubs just don't look after it.

Almost no mainstream pubs look after their own lines. The breweries do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Blut2

Great news. I wonder if it might actually lead to some price competition in the area. It'll surely hit traffic in nearby pubs like the Bleeding Horse pretty hard.

Advertisement