Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M21 - Limerick to Rathkeale/Foynes [advance works to commence shortly]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭pajoguy

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Adare2019

Confirmed on this week's Limerick Leader.

Government TD's need to ensure funding is in place or this project will continue to slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

According to a poster over on Skyscrapercity the delay is at cabinet level. Every stage of all infrastructure projects over €100m has to be signed off by cabinet and as of yet, this hasn't happened.

Ross doesn't care about it and the West Limericks Minister of State Patrick O'Donovan is a waste of space.

This is shocking. I rarely go through adare thank god but I really feel for people that have to endure this daily. It’s akin to torture.
    Any two bit nation should have the foresight and will to solve a major costly bottle neck like Adare. After the M7 at Naas, M50 I feel it’s the worst in the country. Gauling to see the M11 Pr stunt charade go on yesterday when our transport infrastructure is creaking at the seams in so many areas.
    This has been on the table for a good 5 years with the most recent plan after scrapping all previous ones. Crazy slow and not a sod turned

road_high wrote: »
    This is shocking. I rarely go through adare thank god but I really feel for people that have to endure this daily. It’s akin to torture.
    Any two bit nation should have the foresight and will to solve a major costly bottle neck like Adare. After the M7 at Naas, M50 I feel it’s the worst in the country. Gauling to see the M11 Pr stunt charade go on yesterday when our transport infrastructure is creaking at the seams in so many areas.
    This has been on the table for a good 5 years with the most recent plan after scrapping all previous ones. Crazy slow and not a sod turned

As a student we went on a site visit to the M20 Adare to Limerick Project. We were given a presentation on all aspects of the job. Circa £30 million punts if I recall. It was pointed out at tthe time that the Adare end of the project was aligned so as to carry on the road north of Adare village as is now proposed. I didnt think 20 years on that we are still in the position we are in now.
    Utterly maddening.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭DaraDali

https://bit.ly/2xYG5sC

Link to the routes I found during the week, really interesting to see the bypass for Adare/NCW/Abbeyfeale

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

DaraDali wrote: »
    https://bit.ly/2xYG5sC

Link to the routes I found during the week, really interesting to see the bypass for Adare/NCW/Abbeyfeale
    The Abbeyfeale/Newcastlewest routes in that are speculative. No routes published for those yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The M20 on that is also tosh. The old plans had the bypass of Mallow to the east.

pajoguy wrote: »
    As a student we went on a site visit to the M20 Adare to Limerick Project. We were given a presentation on all aspects of the job. Circa £30 million punts if I recall. It was pointed out at tthe time that the Adare end of the project was aligned so as to carry on the road north of Adare village as is now proposed. I didnt think 20 years on that we are still in the position we are in now.
    Utterly maddening.

A cheaper simple two lane road would have been a superb solution. Instead of leaving the place to rot in advance of a never happening motorway

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

A cheaper simple two lane road would have been a superb solution. Instead of leaving the place to rot in advance of a never happening motorway

They did that in Rathkeale which is now getting its 2nd bypass. It's better really in the long run to do it once and do it right.

marno21 wrote: »
    They did that in Rathkeale which is now getting its 2nd bypass. It's better really in the long run to do it once and do it right.

Yes but wasn’t it bypassed nearly 30 years ago? Giving excellent value and service ever since. There’s the long run and there’s the very very long run

• Advertisement

Yes but wasn’t it bypassed nearly 30 years ago? Giving excellent value and service ever since. There’s the long run and there’s the very very long run

I must have misinterpreted your post, I was mistaking that you meant a cheap bypass should be built now.

On the other hand, does anyone know why Adare was never bypassed in the pre motorway days when Croom and Rathkeale both were ?

I must have misinterpreted your post, I was mistaking that you meant a cheap bypass should be built now.

On the other hand, does anyone know why Adare was never bypassed in the pre motorway days when Croom and Rathkeale both were ?

No might as well build the motorway now despite the huge wait. But Adare should have been bypassed over twenty years ago even if it was only 2 lane

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Limerick74

The Adare Bypass was designed to be built as part of the Adare to Annacotty Road Scheme in 1992/3. However the Department (pre NRA) didn’t give the Council permission to include it for some reason. If they had it would have been built by Pat Mulcair in early 2000s along with the current M20. The Council had Adare Bypass designs complete in the early 80s.

Lots of reasons the Bypass is not yet built.

I would imagine it would have had something to do with the width of the streets maybe? Adare has very wide streets as opposed to Rathkeale in places and Croom extremely narrow bend at the post office along with the street widths.
    Needless to say im sure politics had a say also.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Adare2019

Any information coming from LCC states that all deadlines are "subject to approvals being given". Which presumably means TII and Government.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Adare2019 wrote: »
    Any information coming from LCC states that all deadlines are "subject to approvals being given". Which presumably means TII and Government.

As I said earlier in the thread every step including submission to ABP has to be signed off by cabinet.

Looks like the Ryder Cup is headed to Adare in 2026

It’ll be interesting to see if that helps accelerate this any bit

• Registered Users Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭plodder

I'm not too well up on the details of this road, but, surely, the whole event is predicated on Adare getting bypassed, one way or another. It just wouldn't be feasible with the present setup....?

plodder wrote: »
    I'm not too well up on the details of this road, but, surely, the whole event is predicated on Adare getting bypassed, one way or another. It just wouldn't be feasible with the present setup....?

While I'd hope the bypass will be built by then, I'd doubt that it's predicated on it. They've had the Irish open there twice with the current setup. Portrush last weekend had 250K people over the weekend with much worse roads infrastructure. The last 4km is single carriageway but other than that there is a dual carriageway/motorway connection to Shannon and Dublin airports.

ABP Submission Q4 2019
    Decision Q4 2020
    Contract award Q3 2022
    2 to 2.5 year max build program?
    Open Q1/Q2 2025

Regardless there will have to be alot of park and ride facilites for this anyway as the whole village may be shutdown to traffic for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Kevtherev1

The cabinet meeting today is signing off on funding to have the event here. They should also really be signing off today on the new M21 road to go to planning rather then October as has been muted.

But i suppose confirmation of the ryder cup 2026 will all but confirm the M21 goes to construction early 2020s.

Article on Ryder Cup 2026 confirmation here for those who want to read over.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/adare-manor-to-be-confirmed-as-host-of-2026-ryder-cup-1.3966482

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

They will only need the M21 part of the road open, not the whole thing to Foynes, which is what, less than 15km? Not many junctions either. Phased handover with everything focused on the M21 first, shouldn't take too long, seems relatively straightforward terrain they are going through. If worst came to the worst and it was only open to the junction before Croagh, we could probably live with that.

Though Portrush is off the beaten track. This is an important through route and I don't think you could just shut it down. This article in the Indo says that the bypass is part of the deal

https://www.independent.ie/sport/golf/adare-manor-wins-bid-for-2026-ryder-cup-as-spectacular-week-for-irish-golf-gets-even-better-38344918.html

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Though Portrush is off the beaten track. This is an important through route and I don't think you could just shut it down. This article in the Indo says that the bypass is part of the deal

https://www.independent.ie/sport/golf/adare-manor-wins-bid-for-2026-ryder-cup-as-spectacular-week-for-irish-golf-gets-even-better-38344918.html

To be fair, if the NI M2 had been built, it would have been a mere 4 miles from it's terminus at Coleraine.
    As it stands, the A26 takes it's place.
    It's a pretty busy road, and only the last 20 miles of it from Belfast aren't M or DC.
    Apologies for going off-topic.. ;-)

To be fair, if the NI M2 had been built, it would have been a mere 4 miles from it's terminus at Coleraine.
    It's a pretty busy road, and only the last 20 miles of it from Belfast aren't M or DC.
    Sure, I suppose what I meant was that the A26 is the main road there and it doesn't go straight through Portrush.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Sure, I suppose what I meant was that the A26 is the main road there and it doesn't go straight through Portrush.

Fair. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭IsaacWunder

All major newspapers reporting that Adare bypass will be “fast tracked” as part of the Ryder Cup deal. The Ryder Cup is seven years away. Seven more years of congestion. Fast tracked my hole.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The N7 widening and a significant improvement in quality of the L2007 from Kill to Straffan were pushed through for the last one we held anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Quick question why are they building it as M21, rather than HQDC. Is it down to EU and the port or does the volume of traffic justify it.

• Advertisement

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Quick question why are they building it as M21, rather than HQDC. Is it down to EU and the port or does the volume of traffic justify it.

The N21 does. This is a two birds with one stone project. Bypass Adare and improve access to the port. The replacement of the N21 from Adare to Rathkeale is the only part that will be M21. From Rathkeale to Foynes will be a normal N road. No word on what number it will have yet. If they had just upgrade the N69 then it wouldn't have been motorway.

Advertisement