Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym Membership - What are you paying?

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    but look around next time you're in a busy 'commercial' gym and just look at the incredible amount of people who are actually wandering around aimlessly!

The only people I see wandering around are some of the helper/PT people/staff looking for people to help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭TheBellJar

bluewolf wrote: »
    The only people I see wandering around are some of the helper/PT people/staff looking for people to help

I think the poster means the people you see who sit at one machine for 60 secs and then decide to try another and another etc., until they find one that's easy and then decide that's the best one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

With the commercial gym vs coaching style gym there's also the matter of the commercial style gym having a certain % of it's members actually using the gym, these people are paying for the ones that use it while the coaching style ones the members have made far more of a commitment along with a cap on how many members that style of gym can take in they need to charge extra and they give you extra too.

Haven't been to one of these gyms (yet), I would like to join one but at the moment there are none here and I wouldn't be able to afford it but I can see they have a lot of value to them

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Personally, I prefer to do my own thing - I don't even like going to the gym with a pal - but look around next time you're in a busy 'commercial' gym and just look at the incredible amount of people who are actually wandering around aimlessly! Couldn't these people do with a professional coach? As far as I can see, they're tossed into these commercial gyms, maybe given a generic (usually rubbish) intro programme, and then pretty much forgotten about... Everything has it's place and CrossFit, RevFit, whatever, has theirs...

Couldn't agree more with this part I was one of these people :o, my first few times in the gym I was walking around clueless as you see so many people everyday in the gym. I was literally clueless on everything including nutrition. I'd hate to see a video of myself first day in the gym now.

I then got myself a PT outside of the gym who I now see about once a week besides doing my own thing in my own gym, and it has worked wonders and helped move me along massively and without that help I'd still be one of them people wandering around aimlessly in the gym not really making any headway in the gym or walking out after barely breaking a sweat.

Some people need the extra help or the extra push others don't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 74 ✭✭moc8827

I'm in Trinity College Gym.

€290 for the year afair, for past students. I think it's €390 for non past students.

Decent gym. Good pool. Good location. Only issue is it's a bit packed at certain times of the year with students just finished lectures. Great over the summer though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Drained_Empty

Bravo on your complete rationalisation of training in crossfit ireland. Perfect form snatch and c&j? got video proof of that?

you've sweating a big chunk of your salary out your pores for the crossfit moniker. well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

1. Crossfit isn't a "sport".
    2. Your first post ever sounds like a shill for CFI.
    3. Well done on your progress.
    4. I too would love to see your perfect form snatch and C&J.
    5. It's your money, spend it how you like, but time wise, 9 hours a week to train for just three hours of training/coaching time isn't something I'd do or sign up for.

Thanks for the kind words.
    I dont have videos, sorry
    I respect your opinions.
    As personal opinions are never wrong :)
    Can u elaborate why its not a sport?

A sport has hard and fast rules.
    Crossfit doesnt as the WODs and the exercises they contain are ever changing in sets, weight, time etc.

It's a hobby/exercise.

Done well, it's fantastic.
    But that doesnt make it a sport, and it doesnt make the best Crossfitter the fittest in the world.

I'd argue that accolade could/should go to someone like an Olympian decathlete for a male and heptathlete for a female or even a multi event gymnast, but that's just a personal opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

You simply can't define "fittest" because there's too many different types of "fitness". It's illogical.

World's Best CrossFitter, certainly.

World's Fittest Man, certainly not.

As for "perfect form" - that made me lol.

I'm all for people coming on and saying how much they love their gym, and the CFI guys are good friends of mine, but talking about "perfect snatch/C&J" amongst a crowd who actually knows what they're talking immediately eradicates your credibility.

i'll change 'perfect form' to 'constantly improving form'

i know i was the first to stick the boot in but no point getting into a tit for tat with all the lads here justifying your crossfit romance. just keep on kipping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 afitzpatrick

A sport has hard and fast rules.
    Crossfit doesnt as the WODs and the exercises they contain are ever changing in sets, weight, time etc.

It's a hobby/exercise.

Done well, it's fantastic.
    But that doesnt make it a sport, and it doesnt make the best Crossfitter the fittest in the world.

I'd argue that accolade could/should go to someone like an Olympian decathlete for a male and heptathlete for a female or even a multi event gymnast, but that's just a personal opinion.

I never thought if it like that. Hard & fast rules, makes sense.
    I guess sometimes we can get blinded by what we believe rather than actual facts.

I found the defintion of a sport in the oxford dictionary
    "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment"

I agree with your 'fittest in the world' opinion. Lots of sports could claim that. Id quite like Jessica Ennis to have that title. She is FIT!

Well sport or no sport. Id take the prize money.
    About 180,000 people entered the crossfit open this year & the eventual winners got about 200k each.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

The most talented sports people in the world all have top class coaches.

I'm guessing you aren't among the most talented sports people in the world and you therefore do not need top class coaches.

I'd also like to add that these people are probably not as knowledgeable as you seem to think they are. Anyone could learn as much as they know with a little research.

Not many Elite level Crossfitters train Crossfit every day, in the same way, no Strongman trains the strongman events every day, you'd make absoolute sh1te of yourself.

Many Crossfitters would be better off training Olympic lifting/powerlifting/rowing and dropping an occasional lung busting WOD.

Puking and breaking someone is not the sign of a good coach or system.
    (i'm not saying you said that by the way)

i think we're a bit off topic here lads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

moc8827 wrote: »
    I'm in Trinity College Gym.

€290 for the year afair, for past students. I think it's €390 for non past students.

Decent gym. Good pool. Good location. Only issue is it's a bit packed at certain times of the year with students just finished lectures. Great over the summer though!

I'm a TCD student so I'm signed up for TCD gym whether I like it or not, and I go to the FlyeFit place just down the road on Macken street. It doesn't have a pool, but it has about 4 times the room. TCD is not just a bit packed, it's so full you cannot move. Unless you're very careful about what time you go, it's very hard to get anything done.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

plant health and fitness in galway shopping centre.
    couldnt be more perfect for me.
    bang in the middle of the city, walking distance so no money spent on busses etc.

last year paid 179 for 12 months this year 199 for 12months

doesnt have a pool, student living close to nuig visit sometimes but it easy to know when there is 5 people in the weights room. perfect for me

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Pure Gym, Holloway Road, £19.99/month. Also pay about a fiver a time to go swimming at a local pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

UL gym, 200 for around 9-10 months, includes swimming pool and classes which I never use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

30 a month off peak in Popeyes Sligo, cant go wrong at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Pure Gym, Holloway Road, £19.99/month. Also pay about a fiver a time to go swimming at a local pool.

I had a look at that place and didn't like the weights section to be honest. They've only one squat rack and I can't be dealing with that lark on peak times. I use Premier Fitness opposite Finsbury Park station, it's £28 a month with three racks, two pressing benches, spare oly bars all over the gaff and it's usually really quiet.

• Advertisement

FTA69 wrote: »
    I had a look at that place and didn't like the weights section to be honest. They've only one squat rack and I can't be dealing with that lark on peak times. I use Premier Fitness opposite Finsbury Park station, it's £28 a month with three racks, two pressing benches, spare oly bars all over the gaff and it's usually really quiet.
    Yeah the lack of squat racks can be a bit annoying, particularly when big groups of bro-types are there during peak times. Joined there because my OH was already a member and its convenient for us!

Yeah the lack of squat racks can be a bit annoying, particularly when big groups of bro-types are there during peak times. Joined there because my OH was already a member and its convenient for us!

I mean the rest of the gym is amazing for what you're paying like. You have the best of cardio stuff and machines, loads of areas for mobility, free spin classes and kettlebells etc and it's a convenient location. All I do is barbell training at the moment and unfortunately that place just didn't suit me. My old doll uses it and she f*cking loves the place. They have great deals on personal training as well. Are you living on the Holloway Road?

Not quite but close enough. Moving to Archway soon so about to get even closer!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭awesomelakes

Pay €250 a year for the gym in NUIG. I'm a student though, not sure how much it costs non-students.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

FTA69 wrote: »
    I mean the rest of the gym is amazing for what you're paying like. You have the best of cardio stuff and machines, loads of areas for mobility, free spin classes and kettlebells etc and it's a convenient location. All I do is barbell training at the moment and unfortunately that place just didn't suit me. My old doll uses it and she f*cking loves the place. They have great deals on personal training as well. Are you living on the Holloway Road?

Do they do weekly passes at finsbury park place do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭siblers

€50 a year for my local GAA club's gym. It only opened in January and is absolutley superb. It can be used 24/7 and its really quiet most of the time.

Sangre wrote: »
    Do they do weekly passes at finsbury park place do you know?

No, three month contract is the minimum I think.

Advertisement