Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym Membership - What are you paying?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I pay €75 per month. I feel I get value. I don't drink or smoke and have no expensive hobbies like cars or something.

I'm happy to pay it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Paid 260 for 9 months, go three times a week so its ok value, but once my membership is up I'll be joining another gym which is cheaper and has more weights...

The max I could squat in my current gym is 145kg, so I'll be passing that in a few weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Paid 260 for 9 months, go three times a week so its ok value, but once my membership is up I'll be joining another gym which is cheaper and has more weights...

The max I could squat in my current gym is 145kg, so I'll be passing that in a few weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

BW training all the way! I pay €0 per month, just needed the capital cost of a pull up bar and putting up with the constant berating of my gf for scuffing the walls with shoe marks when doing handstands.

On the one hand it's better than the gym, as it costs less, and it's right there when you need it, though on the other hand, I always found going to the gym focused you more, you knew you were going and you had your plan of what to do when you got there. I'm only at the BW stuff a few months, and there are days when I'll get half way through my routine and say "feck it" and just sit down and watch telly. Plus it's more motivating to be working in a gym environment where you have people all around you pushing themselves, as opposed to moving piles around the spare room so I have enough room to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Second time that's been posted in reply one of my posts this week...I've been going to the gym nearly 2 years so doing 145kg on a lift should be something I've passed by now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭TheBellJar

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    I don't care where he spends his money. I was just saying it's not value and the same can be achieved without shelling out a fortune.

Perhaps you missed my point!!

Value is relative. Just because you don't see the value in something, it doesn't mean that no-one else will.

I checked CF out a few years ago and was put off by the price, but then a few years later found myself in Informed Performance which had the same motivational/club vibe and I realised I'd have gladly paid double the monthly rate for that service.

Crossfit charge for their entire service, a service which is not provided by most commercial gyms, and therefore these are not comparable. They do charge alot and it does seem expensive to someone looking in; it IS expensive but look at all of the members, look at their progress and look at the community they've created - these people obviously see the worth in it.

Some people need the extra push. Some people aren't arsed in becoming experts in S&C or nutrition or spending hours on the internet trying to put together a plan, they just want a plan and they want someone to help them stick to it. And there's nothing wrong with that at all. Each to their own. Whether it's the likes of Crossfit or private gyms like RevFit, there's a lot to be said for having a bit of guidance and support to get you up off your ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

as a counter point tho, not all cross fit boxes are created equal. Some offer inferior service and instruction for top rate prices because they can get away with over charging at this time.

always do the extra leg work to find the good gyms and coaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

Hanley wrote: »
    Yup. Not comparable at all.

Also the idea of 5 hours a week not being enough for most people is bonkers.

Finally I can confidentially state the majority of ppl who join RevFit see better results in 3 months there than 12 months in a commercial gym.

So, if you're paying €500/year (40/month) for a commercial gym and get better results in 3 months paying approx. €450 in RevFit, who's the time wasting cash burning idiot? Hmmmm.

If you really believe that CrossFit is any more than glorified weightlifting you are horribly mistaken. Simply because a gym is branded with the CrossFit logo does not make it a magical shortcut to better health and fitness. It's amazing the amount of people who are so easily taken in by good marketing.

http://www.eastcoastbarbell.com/ provide everything that a CrossFit gym offers and more, all for a much cheaper price.

I have never read a greater load of rot that you "confidentially" stating that people who join RevFit see better results in 3 months than people who go to a commercial gym for 12 months. What a ridiculous, totally unfounded claim. You can't just make up totally random statistics and hope that people believe it. We're not that gullible.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,177 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

SeaDaily wrote: »
    If you really believe that CrossFit is any more than glorified weightlifting you are horribly mistaken. Simply because a gym is branded with the CrossFit logo does not make it a magical shortcut to better health and fitness. It's amazing the amount of people who are so easily taken in by good marketing.

http://www.eastcoastbarbell.com/ provide everything that a CrossFit gym offers and more, all for a much cheaper price.

I have never read a greater load of rot that you "confidentially" stating that people who join RevFit see better results in 3 months than people who go to a commercial gym for 12 months. What a ridiculous, totally unfounded claim. You can't just make up totally random statistics and hope that people believe it. We're not that gullible.

Well, it is more than glorified weightlifting? The programming is much broader than the Olympic lifts and support for same. Now, no doubt whatsoever that EastCoastBarbell run a great place and if I wanted to focus solelt on the Olympic Lifts that would be a big option for me given my location, but my understanding is that it's a specific rather than a general training offering.

I read about Crossfit and CFI came up top of a google search, but the reason it works is because of the effort and knowledge of the people running it. I don't feel like I'm paying for "Crossfit"; I feel like I'm paying for the time and attention of the coaches down there as part of general S & C training. If they withdrew their affiliation with Crossfit tomorrow and continued as 'Sandyford S & C' I'd be happy to continue paying for what's on offer. It's not a 'magical shortcut to better health and fitness' but it's a very effective and consistent structure to achieving same.

I think Hanley meant 'confident' rather than 'confidential' and I'd imagine he's well able to back up his claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

I pay €20 a year for the gym. I use my local GAA club's gym, the €20 is on top of the club membership which is €50 for the year, so €70 in total which is excellent value considering the gym up there rarely has more than 7 or 8 people in it and there is lot's of times during the day/evening where there won't be anyone at all.

It has absolutely everything you would need too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Cross fit and RevFit offer something mist gyms don't offer because of useless instructors and that's knowledge, structure etc...

You pay for what you get and in RevFit that's the experience Hanley has through years of powerlifting, qualifications and courses etc.. In Cross fit, I'd imagine its the same. People who know what they're doing, know whats the best course of action for you. People who can help you pass the plateaus you will face.

In a commercial gym, you pay for what you see. I have no doubt that there's gyms out there with awesome instructors but the majority don't. For me, that's what you pay for after the quality/quantity of equipment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

You've ruined any credibility you had with that opening statement.

And as someone already pointed out; confidently, not confidentially.

And I can back it up, with results. That's the great thing about being accountable in the real world and not just on the Internet.

But since you're just an ignorant anonymous trouble maker ill do nothing other than damage my brand in a tit for tat argument. So good luck with you're training, hopefully as you mature you'll realize there's a lot more to training than just weightlifting, and a lot more to business than just competing on price :)

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

And I can back it up, with results. That's the great thing about being accountable in the real world and not just on the Internet.

Dont really understand your point here at all. I am a member of a commercial gym and have also got results from my training there just at a far cheaper price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

So, if you're paying €500/year (40/month) for a commercial gym and get better results in 3 months paying approx. €450 in RevFit, who's the time wasting cash burning idiot? Hmmmm.

So what would you be if the opposite happened which is more than possible.

So what would you be if the opposite happened which is more than possible.

...like my steak.

Rare.

And think about it logically for a second?

Is a person who takes the time and effort to read and post on a fitness forum more likely to get better results than the average person in any given situation? Obviously.

So are boards poster a good test case? Not necessarily.

....but there's quite a number of posters here at this this stage who would have thought like that and have probably had their minds changed either as a result of attending a workshop or training in my gym.

It's be silly to think that a professional coach won't add something to an amateurs training.

...just like it'd be silly for me to also assume I know everything and couldn't have someone teach me something.

Direct boardsie quote, springs to mind, only because it was last week;

"I’ve been going to the gym and working out for a long time but the last 6 weeks really feel like I have been training……"

This dudes trained in a number of "big name" Dublin gyms and would be reasonably well educated on lifting stuff too.

There's plenty more like that too.

BUT I'm not out to change anyone's minds. There's two types of people, and you won't change the firsts ones mind. So I don't bother trying :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

If I could justify spending the money on CF or any similar gyms I would. There is a cracking one near me in The Performance and Fitness Academy but I can't justify spending 90 euro a week for something I get training on my own. I'd love to get involved in the competitive side and social side of it though.

Maybe Niall and Dominic might run an Open Competition for gyms in the area, might even attract new members!!

To answer the question; I just paid 270 for the year in my local gym in Kilashee Leisure Centre, its a fantastic gym to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

...like my steak.

Rare.

I'd have to disagree.

I'm not doubting the benefits of cross fit some folks need direction. The prices though are over inflated. I'm sure you've a great training setup in revfit but it's also a great cash cow. If you've 10 members paying 150pm you could easily setup a CF gym then open another within the year.

Oh wait you've done that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

good businesses model pleases clients so well there is demand for a repeat in another location.

pure.evil

• Advertisement

I'd have to disagree.

I'm not doubting the benefits of cross fit some folks need direction. The prices though are over inflated. I'm sure you've a great training setup in revfit but it's also a great cash cow. If you've 10 members paying 150pm you could easily setup a CF gym then open another within the year.

Oh wait you've done that.

Wahoo... You've know you made it when you cash cow gym turns over enough to pay rent and equipment costs. Big ballin'. Rockstar for life yo!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,268 ✭✭✭✭noodler

God, and here is me weighing up whether or not to join Westwood.

70 per month seems madness to me, contemplating 50e per month off peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,177 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Wahoo... You've know you made it when you cash cow gym turns over enough to pay rent and equipment costs. Big ballin'. Rockstar for life yo!!!!!

How dare you make a living from your work!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

My $450 yearly membership is due in about a week. eugh. $450 is about 340euros.

Seattle.

http://www.ballardhealthclub.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭TheBellJar

I'd have to disagree.

I'm not doubting the benefits of cross fit some folks need direction. The prices though are over inflated..

But people are paying them. People who actually train there.
    I I'm sure you've a great training setup in revfit but it's also a great cash cow. If you've 10 members paying 150pm you could easily setup a CF gym then open another within the year. .

Again, people are paying it. People who actually train there.

You don't train there, so you really don't have any basis for an argument on the value of either service. I'm all for people having opinions, god knows I've had enough in my time. But I've realised over the years that you can't form an opinion without having ALL of the facts and experience to back it up, otherwise you're just mouthing off for the sake of it and no-one has any respect for that sh1te. I don't post here much anymore, but I used to, and having seen the massive contributions that both gyms have made to this forum over the past few years I just don't think it's fair to come on here bashing someone for making a living from something they enjoy. I bet that if you asked any of the guys working there for advice they'd readily give you their time, for nothing, and have done so here on numerous occasions. I really hate the whole Irish begrudgery that goes on when you see someone doing well for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

Comparing commercial gyms and crossfit gyms, claiming that the crossfit gym is the cash cow is a bit ridiculous, crossfit fund cap their membership numbers and how many members can attend each class so there's no overcrowding, each member has access to equipment and they all get equal supervision, whereas commercial have thousands of members and keep squeezing in more with fancy membership deals, who's the cash cow?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Price is immaterial (as long as you can pay it and aren't selling the baby's nappies so you can go work out) and value is relative... I can't understand people getting so worked up over "outrageous prices" that they aren't even paying??

CrossFit and RevFit-style gyms are not necessary for everybody - people who can effectively train themselves.... but, look around you in the gym, most people can't! I would consider myself a regular gym goer and like to think I have at least half an idea of what to do when I get there - but I don't doubt for a second I could learn plenty from a professional coach in one of these type of gyms... in fact, if RevFit wasn't all the way over the dreaded Northside I dare say I'd have given it a shot by now...

Personally, I prefer to do my own thing - I don't even like going to the gym with a pal - but look around next time you're in a busy 'commercial' gym and just look at the incredible amount of people who are actually wandering around aimlessly! Couldn't these people do with a professional coach? As far as I can see, they're tossed into these commercial gyms, maybe given a generic (usually rubbish) intro programme, and then pretty much forgotten about... Everything has it's place and CrossFit, RevFit, whatever, has theirs...

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Price is immaterial (as long as you can pay it and aren't selling the baby's nappies so you can go work out) and value is relative... I can't understand people getting so worked up over "outrageous prices" that they aren't even paying??

CrossFit and RevFit-style gyms are not necessary for everybody - people who can effectively train themselves.... but, look around you in the gym, most people can't! I would consider myself a regular gym goer and like to think I have at least half an idea of what do do when I get there - but I don't doubt for a second I could learn plenty from a professional coach in one of these type of gyms... in fact, if RevFit wasn't all the way over the dreaded Northside I dare say I'd have given it a shot by now...

Personally, I prefer to do my own thing - I don't even like going to the gym with a pal - but look around next time your in a busy 'commercial' gym and just look at the incredible amount of people who are actually wandering around aimlessly! Couldn't these people do with a professional coach? As far as I can see, they're tossed into these commercial gyms, maybe given a generic (usually rubbish) intro programme, and then pretty much forgotten about... Everything has it's place and CrossFit, RevFit, whatever, has theirs...

Go to SDSC so!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Go to SDSC so!! :D

:D I'm so out of the loop... what is SDSC??

• Advertisement

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    :D I'm so out of the loop... what is SDSC??

https://www.facebook.com/pages/South-Dublin-Strength-and-Conditioning/124259437641436?hc_location=timeline

One of the few gym's you'll see me recommend.

it's in Harold's Cross.

Advertisement