Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do women do this

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

My mother never did this type of thing that was mentioned in the OP, but only because her own mother did it so much to her. Although having said that I think it's sneaking in with her in the last few years, good thing I have shocking high self esteem because of the 25 years of compliments before this!

What bugs me though in the overall scheme of media, society, differences between men and women, etc is why are men in the media allowed to get old and fat but women can't (for the most part)? The example I always think of is Eamonn Holmes and his wife, I saw them presenting This Morning during the summer. He is getting progressively fatter, greyer, older looking, but she is still slim, doesn't have grey hair, looks almost the same as ever. Why is this? Why are women valued only for their looks, and men aren't at all? Why is Bruce Forsyth's cohost on Strictly thingy Tess Daly? He's ancient, not at all attractive but "charismatic", she might be incredibly intelligent and I would say has to do a lot of work to cohost with such an older man but all we really see her for is her amazing looks, stunning figure and gorgeous dresses. Why can men let themselves go completely but the women have to look impeccable and young. Really annoys me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Scarinae wrote: »
    Some of these brands are owned by the same parent companies, which makes perfect sense from a marketing point of view – convince people to buy your calorie-rich foods, and then sell them the diet food to make up for it, so either way you’re making money. For example, Unilever owns both the Ben & Jerry’s and Slimfast brands.

+1 This Exactly.

And diet-food is a giant oxymoron. Eat yourself thin. *eyeroll*

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

What bugs me though in the overall scheme of media, society, differences between men and women, etc is why are men in the media allowed to get old and fat but women can't (for the most part)? The example I always think of is Eamonn Holmes and his wife, I saw them presenting This Morning during the summer. He is getting progressively fatter, greyer, older looking, but she is still slim, doesn't have grey hair, looks almost the same as ever. Why is this? Why are women valued only for their looks, and men aren't at all? Why is Bruce Forsyth's cohost on Strictly thingy Tess Daly? He's ancient, not at all attractive but "charismatic", she might be incredibly intelligent and I would say has to do a lot of work to cohost with such an older man but all we really see her for is her amazing looks, stunning figure and gorgeous dresses. Why can men let themselves go completely but the women have to look impeccable and young. Really annoys me.
    I was just thinking about that the other day. I think men or boys who are a bit overweight when younger are even more singled out than girls and I think they can be bullied more. Less boys are (or at least were) overweight than girls, so that might be the reason. But there seems to be a certain age after which men are free of societal expectations and I know women in 70ies who are still battling with weight issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Women are always expected not to let themselves go, but usually when men reach a certain age people say 'Oh let him away with it, we won't stick him on a diet now'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

My mother is like this. All of my life she has commented on food, while she herself has indulged herself in every junk food imaginable. She will make a banquet of food for her while giving me a small plate because of course I need to loose weight.

I'm overweight, I wont deny it. My mother won't admit that she is overweight too. She is only one dress size smaller than me. She projects her own insecurities on to me, and if I loose weight, its not good enough for her. I've lost 7 stone over the past 3 years and its not good enough for her. It will never be good enough for her.

If I ever have kids, I will never make them feel bad if they are overweight or whatever. I will never project my insecurities onto them. I wont have them growing up like I did.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

I have found that with the women in my family, meaning mother and grandmother, food has been an extension of control. Subtle and not subtle.

Not so much around weight, but things like " where are you going? I just spent two hours making lunch!"

I've since picked up some habits with it to. If I need my brother to come over. I call him and tell him what Im making for dinner. Gets it done faster.

Advertisement