Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 NFL Draft

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

davyjose wrote: »
    De'Anthont Thomas to enter the draft. I think he's nuts.

He's shown his skills and I don't think there's any real chance of him doing anything next year that he hasn't proved he can do already. Staying in college another year isn't going to benefit him much unless he used it to bulk up a bit but runs the risk of injury. If he has a bad season his stock will drop. Can't see anything he could do that would drastically improve his stock by waiting other than the possibility of winning a national championship by himself or breaking all sorts of records.

How do you see an extra year benefiting him?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Tre Mason declares. I think he could be a canny pick for someone in the 3rd or 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Paully D wrote: »
    Tre Mason declares. I think he could be a canny pick for someone in the 3rd or 4th.

Over 600 yards in his last 2 college games. Great way to go out.

Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Adrian Hubbard & Cyrus Kouandjio all declared.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Tre can do it all. Can bang it up the middle, get the edge on the outside, make people miss and he has very good hands. Will help any offense. Can see his stock going upwards as teams interview him and it becomes clear he's more than simply a system back, but someone is likely to get a steal.

I think whoever gets Dee Ford also will have plenty to work with. Being a hybrid DE/OLB might hurt his draft stock but it will give him plenty of opportunities to make a contribution in the NFL.

LT Greg Robinson has declared too. Formed a big part of a hell of an Auburn O-line this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

Any chance Clinton-Dix drops to the Packers? I do like what I've seen of him. They might have a shot now that they have the best pick of the playoff teams (I think).

Barney92 wrote: »
    Any chance Clinton-Dix drops to the Packers? I do like what I've seen of him. They might have a shot now that they have the best pick of the playoff teams (I think).

He is the top rated safety in the draft & most mocks I have read have him going in the top 15.

With that being said if there was a run on QB's in the top 10 (Bridgewater, Bortles, Manziel, Carr) then he & others could get pushed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

Bears will take him if he's still there (14).

Think Conte and Wright were the 2 worst rated safeties in the league this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

SameOleJay wrote: »
    Bears will take him if he's still there (14).

Think Conte and Wright were the 2 worst rated safeties in the league this year.

I think it's impossible to say until we've seen free agency . If they sign a safety in FA (Clemons, Ward, Whitner & Bryd are all possible signings) and don't get a DE or DT, then I think we'll see either of these.

Personally I think drafting a safety at 14, with our Dline would be too much of a luxury. Our safties are shi't but free agency safties are cheaper than DE's.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

nerd69 wrote: »
    i would have said the same about reggie bush

because he likely wont play a lot of rb in the league. we could use him as a kick/punt returnerand a 3rd-4th reciever.

this offseason avant il likley gone as he is costing us to much(sad as it is to say best hands in the league) cooper and maclin while likley to resign are free agents.

and we have shown we know what to do with that type of player (i think he can develop into a desean)

i think the first 2 picks and some late ones will be on the defensive side but if we can get this guy late 3rd that could be pretty huge value for a player chip knows and loves.

I agree with ya first round has to be a safety. (although Id love to get Byrd in FA) If I see Chung or Allen on the field again next season especially Chung I'm likely to have an aneurism. Second round should most likely be a defensive lineman and I really don't see Thomas around in the late 3rd tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    He's shown his skills and I don't think there's any real chance of him doing anything next year that he hasn't proved he can do already. Staying in college another year isn't going to benefit him much unless he used it to bulk up a bit but runs the risk of injury. If he has a bad season his stock will drop. Can't see anything he could do that would drastically improve his stock by waiting other than the possibility of winning a national championship by himself or breaking all sorts of records.

How do you see an extra year benefiting him?
    Well his stock is down. He played the season mostly hurt and it was a down year statistically. I also think he's been played out of position. Hes too small to be an NFL running back. With guys like Huff moving on, he has an opportunity to play more of a receiver role. I think he would Light. It. Up in that role. He has great hands and is uncatchable in space.
    Nobody is going to throw more than a fifth round pick at a PR/KR.
    Chip Kelly leaving was the worst thing that happened him. Kelly had him playing situationally in special teams and as a receiver and running back. I believe he was trying to find what role suited him best. Helfrich essentially threw him in as a RB. But I do think he'd have been put in the slot next season.
    Tl;dr: the new improved TY Hilton will now get lost on somebody's practice team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Kiper with his mock draft.....

BeCT4bFCIAAkK7e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

D3PO wrote: »
    I agree with ya first round has to be a safety. (although Id love to get Byrd in FA) If I see Chung or Allen on the field again next season especially Chung I'm likely to have an aneurism. Second round should most likely be a defensive lineman and I really don't see Thomas around in the late 3rd tbh

chung should retire plain and simple, allen was serviceable and i like earl wolff but he seems vern injury prone so ya id love to grab haha in the first,

i think chip will go best player available once its not a rb or maby a tackle/ or best defensive player available i don't think he's gona set his heart on a player or position just stick to his draft board.

id love to see byrd as well but big free agency signings scare me since the you know what team

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

BeCT4bFCIAAkK7e.jpg

what the what i think that pic is purely to make some vikes fans happy in there pants. im like johnny but id be shocked if he went one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

BeCT4bFCIAAkK7e.jpg

This was his mock this time last year:

1. Kansas City Chiefs - Luke Joeckel, OT (Texas A&M)
    2. Jacksonville Jaguars - Damontre Moore, DE (Texas A&M)
    3. Oakland Raiders - Star Lotulelei, DT (Utah)
    4. Philadelphia Eagles - Dee Milliner, CB (Alabama)
    5. Detroit Lions - Jarvis Jones, LB (Georgia)
    6. Cleveland Browns - Bjoern Werner, DE (Florida State)
    7. Arizona Cardinals - Chance Warmack, G (Alabama)
    8. Buffalo Bills - Manti Te'o, LB (Notre Dame)
    9. New York Jets - Barkevious Mingo, DE (LSU)
    10. Tennessee Titans - Dion Jordan, DE (Oregon)

It's not bad bar DaMontre Moore who went in the 3rd round to the Giants and Te'o went to the Chargers in the 2nd. He had Eric Fisher at 11 at this stage too.

His last few picks for the Dolphins gave me a good laugh. Thank god he isn't their GM. Although he did give them Patterson last year which was a good shout.

2012: Riley Reiff, OT Iowa

2011: Mark Ingram, RB Alabama

2010: Rolando McClain, ILB Alabama

2009: Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR Maryland

2008: Glenn Dorsey, DT LSU

Read a book a while back from a former agent who said that Kiper was well know for listing a player quite high or talking him up on his mock drafts purely because of his relationship with said players agent.

For that reason I find it hard to believe he's genuine with some of his selections.

Illegal Procedure is the name of the book by the way. Worth picking up. Some of the said chapter on Kiper is available as part of the Google Books preview:

http://books.google.ie/books?id=4EJC0IpPf58C&pg=PA100&lpg=PA100&dq=illegal+procedure+mel+kiper&source=bl&ots=WjoZZvMHYZ&sig=czoyyOkXlOPRwMUFW-ZRSgRSrPQ&hl=en&sa=X&ei=bfPWUr-lJLGv7AaJv4HIAw&ved=0CCwQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=illegal%20procedure%20mel%20kiper&f=false

I think no way does Manziel go 1 ( & I love Johnny F) With that being said there is no way that if Bridgewater was there that the Raaaaaiders would pass on him.

They are the Raiders, though. They have a reputation to maintain.

Manziel has always been a flier and some were ranking him ridiculously low until recently. Don't know about #1 but it's more believable than some of the early mocks.

Bridgewater is the safer pick as a QB but Manziel is the sort of playmaker you can see a high drafting team falling in love with and taking.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Two guys from NFL.com just did a live mock draft for the first round. Some interesting variations. Both agreeing that we will have 3 QB's gone in the top 10 though. I haven't heard an awful lot about Blake Bortles before now, (although I didn't watch a lot of college ball this year). Kiper has him going ahead of Bridgewater. What's the story with him, anyone studied up on him?

NFL.com mock here

Two guys from NFL.com just did a live mock draft for the first round. Some interesting variations. Both agreeing that we will have 3 QB's gone in the top 10 though. I haven't heard an awful lot about Blake Bortles before now, (although I didn't watch a lot of college ball this year). Kiper has him going ahead of Bridgewater. What's the story with him, anyone studied up on him?

NFL.com mock here

Jesus, if Sammy Watkins falls to us at #16 I'll need a new pair of underpants. Very little chance of it happening though IMO. Jeremiah pencils him in to the Rams at #2, which is what Matt Miller also did in his mock draft, and I'd imagine that will be closer to his landing spot.

Lee would be a canny pick up too. I think he'll still be on the board for us with Watkins and Evans gone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

NFL.com mock here

For me there is nothing elite or #1 pick about him apart from his height and build. I mean he doesn't have amazing arm strength, accuracy, footwork, pocket presence, ball placement, athletic ability or anything else you'd hope from a QB prospect. In saying that there isn't main glaring weaknesses about him either, only thing I dislike about him is that the ball can come of his hand pretty slow and he can struggle to generate good zip on it. Personally have no idea why anyone would take him above Teddy. I think he'll need a lot of time to develop.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Paully D wrote: »
    Jesus, if Sammy Watkins falls to us at #16 I'll need a new pair of underpants. Very little chance of it happening though IMO. Jeremiah pencils him in to the Rams at #2, which is what Matt Miller also did in his mock draft, and I'd imagine that will be closer to his landing spot.

Lee would be a canny pick up too. I think he'll still be on the board for us with Watkins and Evans gone.

I think Lee is our best bet too, not a snowballs Watkins will be there. Wonder would the Ravens take Clinton-Dix if he's still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Having had very little CFB this year, I just checked out some Bridgewater footage. Great pocket presence, big arm and nice action. Very impressed.

NFL.com mock here
    blake-bortles-girlfriend-lindsey-duke-7.jpg

The bloke yoke is Bortles missus - draft him now and make sure we see more of her. :cool:

As a football player - only 2 years starting in an average conference at best doesn't help him. He's been solid but definitely needs another year in college to refine some of his problems. He doesn't always look comfortable in the pocket and is a bit slow getting passes of by times. His stock is as high as it's going to be though with UCF's best ever season and a bowl win against Baylor in the Fiesta bowl this year. Can't argue with him declaring but I'd be surprised if he went before Bridgewater or in the top 5. I'd see him as a perfect example of a player with a bit of development and sitting behind a good solid starter with a good QB coach who could turn into a good QB down the line but I really wouldn't like to see my team draft him that early or too see him starting next season.
    I'd take someone like McCarron ahead of him in all honesty, while McCarron has never been the amazing game changer and has his own problems at least he's faced top defenses and beat them time and time again (let's ignore the Iron Bowl). Bortles has showed his skills against behemoths like Temple, Connecticut, Memphis, Akron, South Florida and Houston.

It's a pity he declared this year though as well because I'd have loved to see him next year in Croker but that's the way she goes.

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    blake-bortles-girlfriend-lindsey-duke-7.jpg

The bloke yoke is Bortles missus - draft him now and make sure we see more of her. :cool:

As a football player - only 2 years starting in an average conference at best doesn't help him. He's been solid but definitely needs another year in college to refine some of his problems. He doesn't always look comfortable in the pocket and is a bit slow getting passes of by times. His stock is as high as it's going to be though with UCF's best ever season and a bowl win against Baylor in the Fiesta bowl this year. Can't argue with him declaring but I'd be surprised if he went before Bridgewater or in the top 5. I'd see him as a perfect example of a player with a bit of development and sitting behind a good solid starter with a good QB coach who could turn into a good QB down the line but I really wouldn't like to see my team draft him that early or too see him starting next season.
    I'd take someone like McCarron ahead of him in all honesty, while McCarron has never been the amazing game changer and has his own problems at least he's faced top defenses and beat them time and time again (let's ignore the Iron Bowl). Bortles has showed his skills against behemoths like Temple, Connecticut, Memphis, Akron, South Florida and Houston.

It's a pity he declared this year though as well because I'd have loved to see him next year in Croker but that's the way she goes.

Given Bortles has established himself as a top three QB pick he's totally right to declare this year. Nothing else makes any sense.

And given the Iron Bowl was lost on a missed field goal it's hard to blame any of it on McCarron, who had hit a near 100-yard TD pass minutes earlier. Would love to see McCarron succeed but he still has to prove he's more than a very good Bama system QB, too many times he's been asked to just dump the ball off on screens for my liking. Bortles was the heart of a very good UCF side.

AJ not accepting his Senior Bowl invite (which is played in Mobile in the heart of Alabama) was a strange decision and has only made scouts openly question him more.

Syferus wrote: »
    Given Bortles has established himself as a top three QB pick he's totally right to declare this year. Nothing else makes any sense.

And given the Iron Bowl was lost on a missed field goal it's hard to blame any of it on McCarron, who had hit a near 100-yard TD pass minutes earlier. Would love to see McCarron succeed but he still has to prove he's more than a very good Bama system QB, too many times he's been asked to just dump the ball off on screens for my liking. Bortles was the heart of a very good UCF side.

Fully agree that it's the best time for him to declare. It's just a bit unfortunate for him in a sense that this year couldn't have happened to him in his senior year. The extra year's experience could only have helped him. As it is it's hard to see how he can top this years performance with UCF and the risk in his stock dropping or far to much for him to consider anything else but declaring this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ChicagoJoe

If/When the Bears let Peppers go there will be a huge void there reguardless of what defense the Bears use. Bottom line is Bears are going to need to fill the position. Bears would need to move up in the draft to get Clowney. If the Bears do their homework and feel he is worth moving up, I am sure they will at least make some sort of "feeler".

• Registered Users Posts: 36,138 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

BeCT4bFCIAAkK7e.jpg

:o

Wow Kiper, just wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

ChicagoJoe wrote: »
    If/When the Bears let Peppers go there will be a huge void there reguardless of what defense the Bears use. Bottom line is Bears are going to need to fill the position. Bears would need to move up in the draft to get Clowney. If the Bears do their homework and feel he is worth moving up, I am sure they will at least make some sort of "feeler".

Bears way way more likely to move down then up, we need picks and we need players. There are way too many holes on defense to invest so heavily trading up for Clowney.

They'll fill the Peppers gap via free agency if it arises (hopefully Michael Bennett) - it may not arise if he takes a massive paycut and comes in under/just over the dead money amount.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

It I'm Texas I'm taking Jadeveon Clowney 1st, No doubt.

Advertisement