Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 NFL Draft

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

See below.
    BKWDR wrote: »
    Silly question, and to be fair i haven't really followed college ball at all but i don't really have a grasp of what the Draft is about other than is it just the same as say the fantasy football draft, only with college ball players who have put themselves forward for the draft who have had a minimum of 2 years of playing college football?

If not drafted they go as a free agent and can be signed by any team then?

Yes

Draft picks go from worst in season get 1st pick and so on down the line? How many rounds are there of picks?

7 Rounds

And then you can do deals during the main season and trade your pick in the first round for a player or what not?

Yep, can trade during the draft as well, you can trade picks for other picks this year or in future years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 3s
    Texans owner Bob McNair said Houston is willing to trade No. 1 overall pick so it can land another QB and a defensive player as well.

Didnt see this coming, think it would be very stupid to miss out on Bridgewater

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Raf32 wrote: »
    Didnt see this coming, think it would be very stupid to miss out on Bridgewater

Depends on what they can get. Definitely smart to test the waters and make like you'll trade. Bridgewater is a good prospect but not so good that trading the pick isn't a very attractive prospect at the right price.

They could easily end up taking Bridgewater if they rate him the #1 QB and the market is soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Wrong thread whoops

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Said it earlier in the thread that there was a good chance they'd trade it.

Bridgewater is a great prospect, but he doesn't necessarily suit the Texans offense or is what the Texans want.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Just looking at the updated draft order, the Chiefs have the 23rd pick and the Titans have the 11th pick.

That means the 49ers should have their own picks, plus the 2nd round pick of the Chiefs (55th) and the third round pick of the titans (77) as well as a likely comp pick in the 3rd round for losing Goldson to Free Agency.

Should be able to do something with 6 picks in the first 3 rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

adrian522 wrote: »
    Just looking at the updated draft order, the Chiefs have the 23rd pick and the Titans have the 11th pick.

That means the 49ers should have their own picks, plus the 2nd round pick of the Chiefs (55th) and the third round pick of the titans (77) as well as a likely comp pick in the 3rd round for losing Goldson to Free Agency.

Should be able to do something with 6 picks in the first 3 rounds.

Jesus, didn't know that. Real opportunity to make an already very strong Roster, even stronger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Knex. wrote: »
    Jesus, didn't know that. Real opportunity to make an already very strong Roster, even stronger.

De'Anthont Thomas to enter the draft. I think he's nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

davyjose wrote: »
    De'Anthont Thomas to enter the draft. I think he's nuts.

id love the eagles to reunite him with chip but i think he will go to high for us with our top picks likely to be on defense.

why do you think hes nuts?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

nerd69 wrote: »
    id love the eagles to reunite him with chip but i think he will go to high for us with our top picks likely to be on defense.

He had a very down year. Injuries & a lack of production will mean he is prob a 3rd round pick at best & could well go much lower.

He should have gone back to school & try perform with Mariota at QB he def could have bounced back

• Advertisement

HigginsJ wrote: »
    He had a very down year. Injuries & a lack of production will mean he is prob a 3rd round pick at best & could well go much lower.

He should have gone back to school & try perform with Mariota at QB he def could have bounced back

Jesus didn't realise that he had such a bad year. if he makes late 3rd id be shocked if we didn't take him chip likes to take players he knows. although i don't really know where he would fit in but to much talents a good problem to have.

id be shocked if he went past late 2nd-early 3rd hes got big potential.

Jesus didn't realise that he had such a bad year. if he makes late 3rd id be shocked if we didn't take him chip likes to take players he knows. although i don't really know where he would fit in but to much talents a good problem to have.

id be shocked if he went past late 2nd-early 3rd hes got big potential.

He will probably need to move to WR in the NFL. He is much too small to run between the tackles. That will also affect his stock.

I think LaMichael James was a far better player coming out of Oregon & he has really struggled to get a look in at San Fran.

He will probably need to move to WR in the NFL. He is much too small to run between the tackles. That will also affect his stock.

I think LaMichael James was a far better player coming out of Oregon & he has really struggled to get a look in at San Fran.

im not going to pretend i watch a lot of college ball so this is a relatively uneducated opinion.
    but i was under the impression he was a very very quick elusive player i would imagine there are a lot of offensive minded coaches would love to get their hands on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Thomas will find time in the backfield in the Pros. He may be small but is fast as fook and extremely agile. The way the game is moving there will be use for him in someones offensive scheme as a running back.

im not going to pretend i watch a lot of college ball so this is a relatively uneducated opinion.
    but i was under the impression he was a very very quick elusive player i would imagine there are a lot of offensive minded coaches would love to get their hands on him.

Very quick & very elusive indeed & he had some sort of ridiculous 20 yard per touch average before this season.

He is very small for a RB & doesn't really have the body to add much weight.

If things worked out really well you could see him being a nice complementary piece that could maybe get 10 touches a game. Maximum upside would be that he develops into a Dexter McCluster level player.

I'd guess he'd struggle to get on the field apart from kick returns. (But I did think T-Rich would be the dogs wotsits so I'm far from a reliable expert)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Very quick & very elusive indeed & he had some sort of ridiculous 20 yard per touch average before this season.

He is very small for a RB & doesn't really have the body to add much weight.

If things worked out really well you could see him being a nice complementary piece that could maybe get 10 touches a game. Maximum upside would be that he develops into a Dexter McCluster level player.

I'd guess he'd struggle to get on the field apart from kick returns. (But I did think T-Rich would be the dogs wotsits so I'm far from a reliable expert)

Thing is with Thomas he has always been a dual threat back. His Freshman year he avg around 10 ypc and 13 per catch and just over 500 yards in 55 carries. Thing is though he mopped up the work done by James and Barner. A season later as a Sophmore his carries near doubled and his ypc went to around 7.5 and catches near 10 and 700 odd yards.

As Junior this year he was unlucky with that ankle injury that put him out of 4 and half games and on his return it took him a couple of games to get going again. But his numbers weren't to shabby for a guy who missed a chunk of the season. 6.2 ypc and 500+ yard and 11.2 per catch. Not too mention his special teams work.

Although only college with that kind of production the kid has talent and with the right system he could pose a threat. He wont be an every down back thats for sure but he will get his shot I feel out of the backfield. Someone will grab him in the draft as a bargain basement pick and use him right.

As Higgins said, he's been hurt so his draft stock is a lot lower than it would have been a year ago. I think, as TO said, he's not an every down back. To be honest, I'm not sure we've seen him in his best position, which would be as a receiver in the mould of Harvin/T.Y. Hilton. With Josh Huff finishing his senior year, he'd have seen a lot of time as a receiver.

The guy is lightning in space, nigh on unstoppable, but breaking that first tackle will be an issue in the NFL. He'll certainly go in as a PR/KR and be very good IMO, but if he'd played one more year in Oregon as a receiver (he has good hands) his draft stock would be very high.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

why ? We don't need a RB with Shady and Bryce Brown. It would be a waste of a pick as it wouldn't improve the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

TO. wrote: »
    Thomas will find time in the backfield in the Pros. He may be small but is fast as fook and extremely agile. The way the game is moving there will be use for him in someones offensive scheme as a running back.

perfect fit for New Orleans tbf

D3PO wrote: »
    perfect fit for New Orleans tbf
    i would have said the same about reggie bush
    D3PO wrote: »
    why ? We don't need a RB with Shady and Bryce Brown. It would be a waste of a pick as it wouldn't improve the team.

because he likely wont play a lot of rb in the league. we could use him as a kick/punt returnerand a 3rd-4th reciever.

this offseason avant il likley gone as he is costing us to much(sad as it is to say best hands in the league) cooper and maclin while likley to resign are free agents.

and we have shown we know what to do with that type of player (i think he can develop into a desean)

i think the first 2 picks and some late ones will be on the defensive side but if we can get this guy late 3rd that could be pretty huge value for a player chip knows and loves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

I may be completely wrong here but part of the "lack" of production for LaMichael James may be the fact that the 49ers run a big Power run game that suits a bigger back like Gore much more! If Thomas goes to a team that can get him out in space with the ball then he could be very dangerous!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

So manziel has declared for the draft..

Personally I think he needs to sit for a few seasons and learn behind a good pro.

So manziel has declared for the draft..

Personally I think he needs to sit for a few seasons and learn behind a good pro.

Was just coming on to post that. Think it was a no-brainer decision for him.

I agree that he could prob do with sitting for a couple of years but I doubt he gets the chance. The Browns love him by all accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Hope he goes to the Browns. Get to see Suggs and Dumervil beat him up twice a year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Was just coming on to post that. Think it was a no-brainer decision for him.

I agree that he could prob do with sitting for a couple of years but I doubt he gets the chance. The Browns love him by all accounts

So you think he can go as high as 4 in the draft??

So you think he can go as high as 4 in the draft??

I wouldnt take him that high but I read that the Browns love him & if so I doubt they would risk him getting to the mid 20's with all the QB needy teams below them

Not a hope he gets a chance to sit unless a Green Bay/pats type team get him fan pressure wil be to much ala tebow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

CBS have him at 9, which would be Buffalo

Bateman wrote: »
    CBS have him at 9, which would be Buffalo

Can't see buffalo take a risk on another limited QB.

• Advertisement

davyjose wrote: »
    Can't see buffalo take a risk on another limited QB.

Not after a year when Manuel showed promise

Advertisement