Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 NFL Draft

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I'm seeing multiple mock drafts giving Marquise Lee to the Ravens

For sure they could use another receiver across from Torrey Smith, sounds appealing. Jacoby Jones unlikely to be back next year.

I don't watch college football though so couldn't say anything about Lee

Assuming they lock up Eugene Monroe at left tackle with a long term contract I've no objections to a stud WR as the first round pick

I like the pick, Mike. It really fills a need. I have to say I prefer Watkins myself, I was surprised to see so many people being higher on Lee than him to be honest but Watkins will be off the board before we pick (Jets will take him if he's still there for their pick).
    I'm pretty sure the Texans are nailed on for the 1st pick. Remaining games @Colts, Broncos, @Titans.

Bridgewater or Clowney? Franchise QB or Clowney and Watt duo? I think they might go with the Clowney option, then take a QB later.

It will be Bridgewater, without a shadow of doubt. The only teams that have a chance of picking first that won't take Bridgewater are the Falcons and Rams (via Redskins).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Paully D wrote: »

It will be Bridgewater, without a shadow of doubt. The only teams that have a chance of picking first that won't take Bridgewater are the Falcons and Rams (via Redskins).

I would imagine that they would look to add some extra picks by trading with someone who wants Bridgewater

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

If Bridgewater goes to the Texans, Luck vs Bridgewater could be the rivalry for the next ten years, like the Brady vs Manning one.

Draft order after the early games (credit to @irishjaguar for the image)

Ba_n8ZpCEAAQhiS.png:large

Bridgewater, Matthews and Clowney would be the first three off the board in that scenario IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Rams have one of the best pass rushing tandems in the league, they have a franchise QB and signed Jake Long to a long term deal.

Unless they have no faith in Sam Bradford they would be wise to trade down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Rams have one one of the pass rushing tandems in the league, they have a franchise QB and signed Jake Long to a long term deal.

Unless they have no faith in Sam Bradford they would be wise to trade down
    I agree with you on a lot of this but they are also in the NFC west so if Clowney is there I think they have to take him! Anything to give them a chance in that division!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭SimmerDean

Paully D wrote: »
    Draft order after the early games (credit to @irishjaguar for the image)

Ba_n8ZpCEAAQhiS.png:large

Yeah my Falcons at home to skins next week so should finish with 1-2 and skins probabaly lose remaining 3 in their schedule. Good picks for rams. Wouldn't blame them for taking Clowney or trading. Great position to be in

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

taidghbaby wrote: »
    I agree with you on a lot of this but they are also in the NFC west so if Clowney is there I think they have to take him! Anything to give them a chance in that division!

Bradford is owed a lot of money and Rams don't have much cap space. Probably going to be a renegotiation there, and with where the Rams are picking, might not be out of the question that they go for a QB.

Be surprised if they don't attempt to trade down though

• Registered Users Posts: 36,138 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

They could probably trade down a few spots and get a QB in this draft. I think they should dump Bradford tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    They could probably trade down a few spots and get a QB in this draft. I think they should dump Bradford tbh

If they release him they still take a cap hit. If they trade him... well, would you take on his salary?

• Advertisement

I would hang on to Bradford (he has shown too much to part ways with) but look to add a QB ok. AJ McCarron if he was hanging around when their on the board in the 2nd round or draft one of the injured QB's (Murray, Mettenberger) in the 4th as Clemmens can be kept around for another year.

They should also be able to get good value for their Skins 1st round pick from teams wanting Bridgewater, Carr, Clowney, Matthews & Barr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Guys who will be the first and second rb's taken do ye think?

Arawn wrote: »

Right now I'd say Lache Seastrunk, Bishop Sankey & Ka'Deem Carey would be in the running.

I'd make Bishop Sankey my number 1 choice, but I think it will be another year where there are no 1st round RB's

Arawn wrote: »
    HigginsJ wrote: »
    Right now I'd say Lache Seastrunk, Bishop Sankey & Ka'Deem Carey would be in the running.

I'd make Bishop Sankey my number 1 choice, but I think it will be another year where there are no 1st round RB's

I haven't had much time to look at RB's (roll on this time two weeks when I'll be doing nothing but eating, drinking, and watching football :D) but I would have Higgins' three in my top five alongside Charles Sims and Carlos Hyde.

From what I've seen (admittedly not much) I'd have Carey first at the minute but if teams are looking for a game changer then Sims could be the man to go for and come draft day I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him gone as the first RB off the board. He's a very good pass catcher.

I agree with you mate that there won't be an RB taken in the first, but there will be probably be a run on them in the middle-latter end of the 2nd round, the same as 2013.

Has Melvin Gordon made a decision on his future yet? If he decides to come out he'll be right up there but last I heard it looked like he was staying in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭franglan

HigginsJ wrote: »
    I would hang on to Bradford (he has shown too much to part ways with) but look to add a QB ok. AJ McCarron if he was hanging around when their on the board in the 2nd round or draft one of the injured QB's (Murray, Mettenberger) in the 4th as Clemmens can be kept around for another year.

They should also be able to get good value for their Skins 1st round pick from teams wanting Bridgewater, Carr, Clowney, Matthews & Barr

Think if you're the Rams you have to stick with Bradford for the time being. Must be very frustrating though to be a Rams fan as he has been injured twice in the last four years and started off the season strongly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

I can't see why any team would trade up to number 2 though! Unless Bridgewater is available there!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

taidghbaby wrote: »
    I can't see why any team would trade up to number 2 though! Unless Bridgewater is available there!

they wont get the same haul they did with rg3 but if clowney looks good in the combine etc he will be highly sought after

and

given how tackles went in last years draft jake matthews will generate huge interest i the draft particularly with him being part a legendary nfl family

also there will be some players generate huge interest through the senior bowl/combine etc rg3 and eric fisher are 2 examples in recent years of players that flew up the draft boards in the last few months.

Amazing how well the Rams did out of that trade with the Redskins. Who would've thought last year that the Redskins would be in the bottom half of the standings?
    That last four in general is crazy given their previous results last year.
    Texans.
    Redskins.
    Falcons.
    Vikings.
    Didn't they all make the playoffs last year?

Texans and Redskins (Rams) now fighting it out for that #1 pick going into the final week.

Rams will likely use that Redskins pick on a tackle (Jake Matthews) especially as it looks like Jake Long has picked up an ACL injury tonight.

Jaguars, Raiders, Browns and Buccaneers round out the top six.

It would be very interesting as all of those teams (with the exception of the Rams and maybe Buccaneers if they like what they have seen from Glennon) would be after a quarterback.

Todd McShay released his first mock draft earlier in the week and had 4 QB's going in the top 6!

Bb4fc2ICAAAPy7v.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Oh please please please let the Jags draft Manziel.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Definitely don't think that Blake Bortles will go as the 3rd overall pick. If anything I wouldn't be surprised if the Raiders took Manziel.

The Jags would be mad to go for Manziel. The last thing they need is an unproven young QB who could be a total bust and doesn't have the attributes of an NFL QB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    Definitely don't think that Blake Bortles will go as the 3rd overall pick. If anything I wouldn't be surprised if the Raiders took Manziel.

The Jags would be mad to go for Manziel. The last thing they need is an unproven young QB who could be a total bust and doesn't have the attributes of an NFL QB.

No way the Raiders goes with Manziel in the top 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »

The real reason it's unlikely the Jaguars will draft Manziel is because they're a comatose franchise that's allergic to making interesting choices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Manziel wouldn't be classed as an interesting choice, it would be a terrible one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

I have to say being a pack fan thank **** we seem to do well when drafting qbs

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

By that you mean they drafted Rodgers? or are there more examples?

adrian522 wrote: »
    By that you mean they drafted Rodgers? or are there more examples?

The Packers were a quarterback nursery under Holmgren.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Syferus wrote: »
    The Packers were a quarterback nursery under Holmgren.

How so? Detmer and Brunell were the only 2 who really came out of Lambeau under Holmgren after sitting behind Favre. Plenty of other Head Coaches who churned out a lot more QBs who were backups. Sherman and McCarthy had and have a fair amount of QBs on their rosters also.

• Advertisement

TO. wrote: »
    How so? Detmer and Brunell were the only 2 who really came out of Lambeau under Holmgren after sitting behind Favre. Plenty of other Head Coaches who churned out a lot more QBs who were backups. Sherman and McCarthy had and have a fair amount of QBs on their rosters also.

Kurt Warner (admittedly he didn't make the roster but with Detmer and Farve ahead of him that was unlikely to ever happen) and Matt Hasselbeck both started their careers in Green Bay under Holmgren; Brett Farve was picked up from the Atlanta bench to become a HOFer in Green Bay; Mark Brunell had a career that nearly equals Farve's in terms of longevity; Detmer lasted in the league for 12 years, an achievement in itself.

How many games collectively have those QBs played in? It probably passes 500 or 600 games.

Green Bay's ability to identify talent at the quarter-back position in the Holmgren years was second to none.

Advertisement