Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 NFL Draft

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

ChicagoJoe wrote: »
    If/When the Bears let Peppers go there will be a huge void there reguardless of what defense the Bears use. Bottom line is Bears are going to need to fill the position. Bears would need to move up in the draft to get Clowney. If the Bears do their homework and feel he is worth moving up, I am sure they will at least make some sort of "feeler".

The void is already there with Peppers- it’s a chasm at this stage. Trading up for Clowney would be crazy.

Two more showings like last week and we can forget Bennett though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

A third thumbs up for Lee to the Ravens at 16

Get it done Ozzie

Ravens don't get into the top half of the 1st round round often, just twice in the last eleven years. Those picks were Suggs and Ngata, not bad, not bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭nerd69

It I'm Texas I'm taking Jadeveon Clowney 1st, No doubt.

I'm glad your not my teams gm texans need a qb they have most of the pieces for around him and additionally clowney has state that he does not like the 3-4 d

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

nerd69 wrote: »
    I'm glad your not my teams gm texans need a qb they have most of the pieces for around him and additionally clowney has state that he does not like the 3-4 d
    You have to take Clowney. Put him together with JJ Watt and you have an outstanding Defensive unit.

Texas should wait for the 2nd round to draft a QB. You could still get Blake Bortles or Derek Carr. Other guys like Brett Smith or David Fales are underated prospects

You have to take Clowney. Put him together with JJ Watt and you have an outstanding Defensive unit.

Texas should wait for the 2nd round to draft a QB. You could still get Blake Bortles or Derek Carr. Other guys like Brett Smith or David Fales are underated prospects

D-lines do not win superbowls qbs do and
    1. there is no garintee he will work to the same level in a 3-4
    2. He does not like playing 3-4 and is apparently known for taking plays off as is so you want him on his preferred formation to avoid a fat Albert situation

Most importantly when you have a team this talented but your missing a qb and there is a talented qb there you have to take him look at what Andrew luck/can Newton have done as opposed to say mario Williams

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

I can't see Bortles or Carr drop that far. There is too many teams who will take a punt on QBs this year. Fales or Smith I don't think are guys you would want to start right away either. You would probably have a better shot at throwing Bortles or Carr into the deep end than most of the other guys in the draft.

Clowney right now is not a 3-4 player. He is too light to play down on the line for a 3-4 and too heavy and not quick enough to play as an edge rushing OLB. Add to the fact as nerd69 is Clowney will probably become a big baby if asked to play in a 3-4.

nerd69 wrote: »
    D-lines do not win superbowls qbs do and
    1. there is no garintee he will work to the same level in a 3-4
    2. He does not like playing 3-4 and is apparently known for taking plays off as is so you want him on his preferred formation to avoid a fat Albert situation

Most importantly when you have a team this talented but your missing a qb and there is a talented qb there you have to take him look at what Andrew luck/can Newton have done as opposed to say mario Williams

But you're not getting an elite QB worth a 1st overall pick in his draft. In my opinion Bridgewater is highly overrated and the QB with the most upside is Johnny Football.

With the first pick in the next round you could still have a good selectin of QBs to choose from. And you have Clowney too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

HigginsJ wrote: »
    I think no way does Manziel go 1 ( & I love Johnny F) With that being said there is no way that if Bridgewater was there that the Raaaaaiders would pass on him.

As a Colts fan I would love Manziel to go #1. Texans become a legit AFC South favourite with Teddy. Not with Johnny Football.

But you're not getting an elite QB worth a 1st overall pick in his draft.

To be fair you can't even make that statement for any draft. Tom Brady 6th round pick and nobody said he would be "Elite". Most scouts now will look at QB's with the potential to be the next big thing. Most teams bar a few will not jump on a guy because he is Elite in their eyes already.

Having said that you want to take the best QB that fits your team and passing over the best 3 in the draft would be stupid if you really need a QB unless you are really confident every QB after them has the same upside as the top 3 guys.

• Advertisement

But you're not getting an elite QB worth a 1st overall pick in his draft. In my opinion Bridgewater is highly overrated and the QB with the most upside is Johnny Football.

With the first pick in the next round you could still have a good selectin of QBs to choose from. And you have Clowney too

the qbs selected in the second will be projects the texans cant afford this as they have a team that can win now

its a crap shoot trying to get a franchise qb after the first for every wilson/kap/foles you have far more failures

heres a list of 2nd round qbs taken since 2006

Andy Dalton (Bengals), 2011
    Colin Kaepernick (49ers), 2011
    Jimmy Clausen (Panthers), 2010
    Pat White (Dolphins), 2009
    Brian Brohm (Packers), 2008
    Chad Henne (Dolphins), 2008
    Kevin Kolb (Eagles), 2007
    John Beck (Dolphins), 2007
    Drew Stanton (Lions), 2007
    Kellen Clemens (Jets), 2006
    Tarvaris Jackson (Vikings), 2006

you have maby 1 franchis guy there and maby 1 or 2 game managers

TO. wrote: »
    To be fair you can't even make that statement for any draft. Tom Brady 6th round pick and nobody said he would be "Elite". Most scouts now will look at QB's with the potential to be the next big thing. Most teams bar a few will not jump on a guy because he is Elite in their eyes already.

Having said that you want to take the best QB that fits your team and passing over the best 3 in the draft would be stupid if you really need a QB unless you are really confident every QB after them has the same upside as the top 3 guys.

beyond that there is always qbs who become golden boys after the nfl season ends

You just can't pass up on Clowney. He's the best player in the draft by a country mile. Take him first and sort out you QB need later. There will still be good QB at the start of the 2nd.

I you absolutely must go for a QB 1st. Take Johnny Football.

You just can't pass up on Clowney. He's the best player in the draft by a country mile. Take him first and sort out you QB need later. There will still be good QB at the start of the 2nd.

I you absolutely must go for a QB 1st. Take Johnny Football.

clowney could be great (he could end up average) but your overrating the position an over average qb has a bigger impact than a stud end

and you probably wont get a good qb at the start of the 2nd see my post above

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

I think the combine is going to be massive for Clowney. If he comes in in football shape & interviews well he could go No. 1. Before then its very hard to judge Clowney for me.

Right now if I were Texans GM, I'd take Bridgewater no questions asked. He is a fantastic QB.

Well you can pass up on him if he doesn't fit your needs or defense or you think you can't convert him to fit your system. He is a beast of an athlete but taking him just for the sake of it could backfire on you.

Interestingly enough there was some talk about the Texans taking him and trying to adjust him and then trading for a QB. One of the names that came up was Ryan Mallett, obviously O'Brien knows the Pats inside out and knows Ryan Mallett. One of the many possibilities out there right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

With JJ Watt there and soon to be paid I don't know how interested the Texans would be in doubling up in an area of strength. QB is much more pressing a concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

What's this years draft class like for TE's? Hopefully it's good because we could do with one or two this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

What's this years draft class like for TE's? Hopefully it's good because we could do with one or two this year.

From what I've read it's stacked. No idea about the players myself but it seems Eric Ebron(North Carolina), Austin Seferian-Jenkins( Washington) and Jace Amaro( Texas Tech) are the highest rated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Anyone here going to chance a mock draft?

• Advertisement

Seferian-Jenkins is going to you guys in a few mocks. Jace Amaro and Eric Ebron are better TE's though.
    Eric Ebron would be a great fit for the Pats imo but he misses big blocks sometimes so that would have to be improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,736 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Raf32 wrote: »

There's generally a mock organised, I'm sure it'll be the same this year!

CJ Fiedorowocz also has the looks of a solid TE. He is massive red-zone target & a solid run blocker.

Don't forget Colt Lyerla. He was a potential early round pick before leaving Oregon. I'd imagine he won't be drafted but could make a 53 man roster if he gets a chance

CJ Fiedorowocz also has the looks of a solid TE. He is massive red-zone target & a solid run blocker.

Don't forget Colt Lyerla. He was a potential early round pick before leaving Oregon. I'd imagine he won't be drafted but could make a 53 man roster if he gets a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Cheers lads for that and good to hear the position is stacked. Must start checking up now on the guys ye mentioned. My finger is rarely on the pulse when it comes to draft talent so much appreciated.

Cheers lads for that and good to hear the position is stacked. Must start checking up now on the guys ye mentioned. My finger is rarely on the pulse when it comes to draft talent so much appreciated.

Really is a great year to pick up offensive talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I'll definitely put one together whenever I get a chance but it won't be for while yet as I'd like to have a more detailed look at some players and view the combine first, which kicks off on the 18th of February. Towards the end of next month I think the forum will be buzzing with draft stuff, mocks etc.

My attempt from last year is here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Paully D wrote: »
    I'll definitely put one together whenever I get a chance but it won't be for while yet as I'd like to have a more detailed look at some players and view the combine first, which kicks off on the 18th of February. Towards the end of next month I think the forum will be buzzing with draft stuff, mocks etc.

My attempt from last year is here.

Chargers got 3 first round picks out of you, good stuff :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

That will be started in March a few weeks before the draft in late April. Of course there will be a mad rush to get it finished, happens every year!

Edit: draft is in May

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Draft is May this year. Spreading out the off season :pac:

Advertisement