Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 NFL Draft

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

glued wrote: »
    Ebron to Buffalo and Donald to the Giants would be my early predictions.

I'd be happy with that, to be honest.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

The following 3 tweets, from the same person on the same day.

For the 49ers, it looks like they can get to the 12-15 range, but they're looking at smaller jumps, too, obviously also targeting WRs.

— Tim Kawakami (@timkawakami) May 7, 2014

49ers are getting trade calls for #30, mostly from teams trying to move up from the 2nd round probably aiming for QBs Carr or Garoppolo.

Sounds like the 49ers explored getting into the top 10 but it would cost them next year's #1 and that's not their style. Won't do it.

The scatter gun approach is evident with some on Twitter. Cover all basis, observe what happens, delete the incorrect tweets, and quote yourself as a footballing, in the know, guru :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

adrian522 wrote: »
    The following 3 tweets, from the same person on the same day.

For the 49ers, it looks like they can get to the 12-15 range, but they're looking at smaller jumps, too, obviously also targeting WRs.

49ers are getting trade calls for #30, mostly from teams trying to move up from the 2nd round probably aiming for QBs Carr or Garoppolo.

Sounds like the 49ers explored getting into the top 10 but it would cost them next year's #1 and that's not their style. Won't do it.

If a team trades into the first to take Jimmy Garappolo then their entire front office should be fired before the end of the night.

Paully D wrote: »
    If a team trades into the first to take Jimmy Garappolo then their entire front office should be fired before the end of the night.

I kinda think the same about someone drafting Bortles in the first round (well Top 10-15 anyway), especially over Bridgewater.

I want to smash the screen the amount of times I've heard, or read, "prototypical football build", as his prominent trait.

Probably should say how I was late enough to the college scene, so most of my knowledge has been garnered in the last month or so. Only really knew of names before that, without actually seeing any games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Please dont let the Texans take Clowney. Luck will get broken up countless times with our terrible line protecting him. Sly feeling Falcons are gonna move up to the first pick though with 49'ers getting into the top 12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Would like to see the Giants trade back and pick up some extra picks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Raf32 wrote: »
    Sly feeling Falcons are gonna move up to the first pick

That's been in the media the last few days

It's said to move from 6 to 1 will cost the Falcons 1st, 2nd, 3rd and next years 1st too.

Even if the Falcons kept their 2014 3rd rounder it's a huge price to pay

They shouldn't trade up imo but it would be interesting to see for sure

mikemac1 wrote: »
    That's been in the media the last few days

It's said to move from 6 to 1 will cost the Falcons 1st, 2nd, 3rd and next years 1st too.

Even if the Falcons kept their 2014 3rd rounder it's a huge price to pay

They shouldn't trade up imo but it would be interesting to see for sure

Its way too costly but think they really need a player like Clowney. I think the Rams have a massive part to play tonight. They will trade out of the second pick which opens up so many ideas.

Johnny Football to Dallas sending Tony Romo to the Texans?

Going way overboard here, just very excited for tonight :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Johnny Football to Dallas sending Tony Romo to the Texans?

Going way overboard here, just very excited for tonight :pac:

damn you raf32
    you've gotten my hopes up now....
    i was discussing this with a raiders fan yesterday and said i'd trade romo and witten to get Johnny football and he said it could happen!!!

2 30+ big earners for a texas QB....bit of a no brainer isn't it!!!

brinty wrote: »
    damn you raf32
    i was discussing this with a raiders fan yesterday and said i'd trade romo and witten to get Johnny football and he said it could happen!!!

Yup its all falling into place, i really can see it happening but dont think it would work out long term for the Cowboys!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,863 ✭✭✭nerd69

If the rumours regarding the Eagles trading up to get Watkins dont materialise, i would love them to get Odell Beckham, really think this guy is gonna be a Star.

the eagles only have 6 picks and plenty of holes i cant see them trading up and i think they'd be better going anywhere on defense than receiver

nerd69 wrote: »
    the eagles only have 6 picks and plenty of holes i cant see them trading up and i think they'd be better going anywhere on defense than receiver

Safety would be needed. Not sure how you're fairing at DT following last season, I know there were some young guys like Logan there. Maybe some depth at Linebacker, although I think I remember reading you say how Graham actually came good a little last season. Perhaps then DT/DL in mid to late rounds, or OL too as I think a few contracts are up for renewal soon. (Good ol' Madden inside information here :p)

Good depth in the receivers this year so can't see them giving up limited picks, like you say, for one. Eagles have a great platform at the moment to build something great from, and as much as the Giants fan in me wants them to screw up, I don't think that they will.

Think Eagles go secondary if the talent is on the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Knex. wrote: »

They've got to go corner for me. Second worst pass defense in the NFL last year. One of the decent corners will surely be available when they pick.

brinty wrote: »
    damn you raf32

Yup its all falling into place, i really can see it happening but dont think it would work out long term for the Cowboys!

someone would be nuts to take that deal off of the cowboys romos contract is toxic at his age

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Really? i think we need a WR to replace Jackson, Maclin after his injury might not be the same player, I still have my reservations about Cooper, i saw your point about Ertz but im not sure he'll top last season and while i expect to see alot of Sproles which is a plus for the offense by the way, i still think we are light in the receiving department

someone would be nuts to take that deal off of the cowboys romos contract is toxic at his age

Plenty of desperate quarterback needy teams out there though

Really? i think we need a WR to replace Jackson, Maclin after his injury might not be the same player, I still have my reservations about Cooper, i saw your point about Ertz but im not sure he'll top last season and while i expect to see alot of Sproles which is a plus for the offense by the way, i still think we are light in the receiving department

Think if you compare it to most teams around the NFL, Eagles are still fairly solid there.

Celek is a great TE, imo, and with Ertz you can go with a lot of 2 TE formations. Having McCoy and Sproles, two of the best receiving backs in the league, behind that, and then Maclin who can stretch the field on the outside with Cooper, and ye'll be fine.

Yeah, its not explosive with Jackson gone, but if Tom Brady had that receiving corp, for example, the rest of the league would shit themselves royally. Although, a fully fit Gronk and we might just anyway.

Jets "MOCK" draft board

http://snyjets.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/2014jetsdraftboard.jpg?w=2001

Some highlights:

Teddy Bridgewater #1 prospect
    Blake Bortles graded as a 3rd rounder, the greatest prospect Tom Savage, Johnny Football, Derek Carr all graded as 5th rounders!
    Mike Evans higher than Sammy Watkins
    Dennard is the top corner, Gilbert graded as a 3rd rounder

Not really that important but I think some of the rankings are way off but it's obviously created on the way the creator thinks the Jets should draft.

• Advertisement

Safety would be needed. Not sure how you're fairing at DT following last season, I know there were some young guys like Logan there. Maybe some depth at Linebacker, although I think I remember reading you say how Graham actually came good a little last season. Perhaps then DT/DL in mid to late rounds, or OL too as I think a few contracts are up for renewal soon. (Good ol' Madden inside information here :p)

Good depth in the receivers this year so can't see them giving up limited picks, like you say, for one. Eagles have a great platform at the moment to build something great from, and as much as the Giants fan in me wants them to screw up, I don't think that they will.

we can get away with safety if we cant get value there i think jenkins and wolff can do a job

bennie logan did a decent job at nose tackle but hes very very undersized we could do with a louie nix type im happy with our ends

we need outside linebackers as graham is gone next year and trent cole will likely be cut

we need an inside linebacker to replace ryans soon

and we need two cornerbacks i think our cbs are good enough it was more of a pass rush/saftey issue but neither are long term solutions

on offense were ok we may take a lineman in the later rounds but the likes of dennis kelly should be able to step in but we will need long term replacements for mathis and peters soon

Completely missed the Jenkins pick up at safety. Helps ye out a fair bit, that does.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Think if you compare it to most teams around the NFL, Eagles are still fairly solid there.

Celek is a great TE, imo, and with Ertz you can go with a lot of 2 TE formations. Having McCoy and Sproles, two of the best receiving backs in the league, behind that, and then Maclin who can stretch the field on the outside with Cooper, and ye'll be fine.

Maybe but my point was more a case of if Maclins injury hampers him and defenders find Cooper out which they could this season, there is not much behind them and if they are struggling that puts pressure elsewhere to.

Anyone think Jimmie Ward could fall to the bottom of the second? Really would love to get him but afraid there is too many teams going after a safety.

Anyone think Jimmie Ward could fall to the bottom of the second? Really would love to get him but afraid there is too many teams going after a safety.

You can have Will Hill and two ounces of weed for a 1st Rounder? :P

Maybe but my point was more a case of if Maclins injury hampers him and defenders find Cooper out which they could this season, there is not much behind them and if they are struggling that puts pressure elsewhere to.

Yeah, but compare that to say, the Giants. If Cruz goes down, we're ****ed! :pac:

No TE, no proven #1 receiver (still believe Cruz should be slot), and no proven running back. All we have is blind optimism :p

i think compared to most of the teams where laughing we have one of the better o-lines in the league and plenty of weapons (mccoy,sproles and celek are safe and i think ertz and maclin depending on how he comes back from injury are relatively safe and i think brown/polk, demarius johnson and arillius benn could be very good pieces.

glued wrote: »
    You can have Will Hill and a two ounces of weed for a 1st Rounder? :P

That still sounds better than the Trent Richardson deal :pac:

no doubt it'd be lovely to grab one of the stud reviecers in this draft to replace jackson but compared to our defense its farrrrrrrrrrr from a need

bill davis did an incredible job with that defense last year but he needs help or we wont be going anywhere

• Advertisement

Completely missed the Jenkins pick up at safety. Helps ye out a fair bit, that does.

ya hes far from a stud but hes a massive upgrade on anything we've had and seems to have taken earl wolff (who i think can be a very good player) under his wing

Advertisement