Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Definitely.

Her lisp is much more noticeable.

Lisp...what lisp......it’s accent dude.

“Moye ghasts tudhaay are....”

Speaks through her ‘ naaause’ bro.

It’s the auld accent man... the ‘u’ becomes ‘a’ as ‘ Mooy gass is’ as opposed to ‘My guess is’

Where the fuuerkhe are you getting lisp from, padre.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

"As Braaaaxit comes hurtling down the tracks"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Lisp...what lisp......it’s accent dude.

“Moye ghasts tudhaay are....”

Speaks through her ‘ naaause’ bro.

It’s the auld accent man... the ‘u’ becomes ‘a’ as ‘ Mooy gass is’ as opposed to ‘My guess is’

Where the fuuerkhe are you getting lisp from, padre.

There's a lisp there definitely.

Nice one Miriam.

As soon as a bit of a debate starts she shuts it down and goes to Tony Connolly.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    There's a lisp there definitely.

Aah Padd, can’t risk another trimming down on this platform after yesterday.

If you say there’s a lisp, then there must be a lisp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,883 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I refuse to listen to silly season radio here anymore. As if anyone cares what I think lol.

We have plummy Miriam sitting in for SOR, or bombastic (to me), Jonathon Healy.

Nope.

LBC radio is great for the hiatus. Kind of an upgraded Joe Duffy thing, with good presenters, giving us a view on Brexit and other things from across the pond.

Addictive if they have topics you are interested in!

I will still tune in to LBC, even when the dinosaurs here return.

Has SOR retired yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

The irony of people complaining about the licence fee whilst listening to RTE.

I refuse to listen to silly season radio here anymore. As if anyone cares what I think lol.

We have plummy Miriam sitting in for SOR, or bombastic (to me), Jonathon Healy.

Nope.

LBC radio is great for the hiatus. Kind of an upgraded Joe Duffy thing, with good presenters, giving us a view on Brexit and other things from across the pond.

Addictive if they have topics you are interested in!

I will still tune in to LBC, even when the dinosaurs here return.

Has SOR retired yet?

Good good... you don’t mind bad grammar, lack of knowledge about anything,and a diet of Love Island.........ooooooookay:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 66,969 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

sligojoek wrote: »
    Nice one Miriam.

As soon as a bit of a debate starts she shuts it down and goes to Tony Connolly.

In terms of Brexit, Connelly is the best journalist in Europe, so no complaints from here. Succinct and impartial facts, delivered clearly and without sensation.

sligojoek wrote: »
    Nice one Miriam.

In terms of Brexit, Connelly is the best journalist in Europe, so no complaints from here. Succinct and impartial facts, delivered clearly and without sensation.
    I appreciate that. But just as the debate was up and running she just swatted them off like flies.

• Advertisement

Good good... you don’t mind bad grammar, lack of knowledge about anything,and a diet of Love Island.........ooooooookay:rolleyes:

WHAT? care to enlighten me on your post :P

Not being too serious here either, all good, it is the holliers season!

WHAT? care to enlighten me on your post :P

Not being too serious here either, all good, it is the holliers season!

My apologies I was more referring to stations other than RTE not LBC in particular or the BBC , more the local commercial ones.

LBC is indeed an excellent station.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

LBC ?where do I get that ...got so annoyed listening to "Thonk you sow muuch" Meeeriam that i nearly flung the faithfull Roberts DAB out the (unopened) window.

Was a close call ......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

got so annoyed listening to ... Meeeriam that i nearly flung the faithfull Roberts DAB out the (unopened) window.
    Since you're a fan of Roberts, get yourself a Roberts internet radio and you'll never have to listen to Miriam again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 John the anorak

I guess it's certain that Miriam will take over Today permanently when SOR retires next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I hope you're wrong but it certainly looks like it. Do any other stand-ins get their own branding when they're on air? "Today with Miriam" Here's hoping Pat Kenny doesn't retire soon - I'll be moving the dial permanently to Newstalk at that time of the day instead of switching between him and Sean O'Rourke.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Conor84

With everything (media reports, interviews, long holidays) pointing to Sean O'Rourke's imminent retirement it would have been much better if RTE had given various contenders a week each or something to cover his Summer break rather than genuinely assigning Miriam for the duration.

I think she is good enough on TV but on radio she jars. Voice is so important and 2 hours of Mo'C can be painful on the ears just as would be the case say with Philip Boucher Hayes (good lawrd). In some of the interviews I've heard she is obviously reading from a list of questions and doesn't have the ability to engage. Her over emotion can be counter producative and her almost cannonisation of Margaret Cash (lastyear??) was painful especially with her breathless interview in a hotel room.

I would have liked to hear Bryan Dobson in the slot but think he might have faced similar issues to Miriam O'Callaghan although he is pretty excellent on Morning Ireland. It would have been interesting to hear Rachel English in the slot as I think she is a very good presenter and ger interests appear to go beyond current affairs - she has very good and genuine interactions on sports for example whereas with others it seems forced. Maybe Audrey Carville too.

I think undortunately Miriam will get the gig but I think that would be a bad and lazy decision. I do think it will be a female presenter so would hope they would look at Claire Byrne. i rate her much more than MMOC and think she is more genuine, genuinely than Miriam. She has a more pleasing voice. I think although current affairs are her forte she would be much better able ro mix it with the lighter topics.

Conor84 wrote: »

I do think it will be a female presenter so would hope they would look at Claire Byrne. i rate her much more than MMOC and think she is more genuine, genuinely than Miriam. She has a more pleasing voice. I think although current affairs are her forte she would be much better able ro mix it with the lighter topics.

Totally agree with this

I do think it will be a female presenter so would hope they would look at Claire Byrne. i rate her much more than MMOC and think she is more genuine, genuinely than Miriam. She has a more pleasing voice. I think although current affairs are her forte she would be much better able ro mix it with the lighter topics.

Mary Mitchel O Connor??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

With everything (media reports, interviews, long holidays) pointing to Sean O'Rourke's imminent retirement it would have been much better if RTE had given various contenders a week each or something to cover his Summer break rather than genuinely assigning Miriam for the duration.

I think she is good enough on TV but on radio she jars. Voice is so important and 2 hours of Mo'C can be painful on the ears just as would be the case say with Philip Boucher Hayes (good lawrd). In some of the interviews I've heard she is obviously reading from a list of questions and doesn't have the ability to engage. Her over emotion can be counter producative and her almost cannonisation of Margaret Cash (lastyear??) was painful especially with her breathless interview in a hotel room.

I would have liked to hear Bryan Dobson in the slot but think he might have faced similar issues to Miriam O'Callaghan although he is pretty excellent on Morning Ireland. It would have been interesting to hear Rachel English in the slot as I think she is a very good presenter and ger interests appear to go beyond current affairs - she has very good and genuine interactions on sports for example whereas with others it seems forced. Maybe Audrey Carville too.

I think undortunately Miriam will get the gig but I think that would be a bad and lazy decision. I do think it will be a female presenter so would hope they would look at Claire Byrne. i rate her much more than MMOC and think she is more genuine, genuinely than Miriam. She has a more pleasing voice. I think although current affairs are her forte she would be much better able ro mix it with the lighter topics.

Agree completly, I can take her on Prime Time but all the faux emotionalism gets tedious & what is it with that "accent"! Don't get me started on the pretend interest in sport, which is IMO more than sufficiently covered on sports progs anyway why is it felt necessary to shove it into every programme especially with broadcasters who clearly have zero interest.

Callan57 wrote: »
    Agree completly, I can take her on Prime Time but all the faux emotionalism gets tedious & what is it with that "accent"! Don't get me started on the pretend interest in sport, which is IMO more than sufficiently covered on sports progs anyway why is it felt necessary to shove it into every programme especially with broadcasters who clearly have zero interest.

Agree there Callan, Meeeeriams accent means I haven’t tuned in to that slot since she started..... couldn’t take two hours of ‘thah’ never mind two minutes.

RTE need to be very careful as to who the appoint to that slot, it’s really the prime ‘setter offer’ for the day once the news and current affairs punters are finished.

It requires,in my opinion , a special kind of person who can pull it off.

You saw what happened when poor John Murray took over the 9-10 slot back in the day.How anyone in RTE could have thought that John was the person for that job was challenged in some way.

Now nothing against John, was passable on MI, is just about passable on Sports, but hold a one hour magazine program together.. no way Jose.

A baggy arsed clown could have seen that...yet it took them three or four years for the penny to drop.

Clare Byrne is the obvious choice for that slot if Sean goes, neutral accent, well informed, no obvious ‘leanings’ , unless there is some other relative of someone out in Montrose waiting in the wings, she’s my tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Claire Byrne is the obvious choice if they go for a female presenter ....also think the news guy Christopher McKevitt has done very well in the mid day news slot and would also be a contender.

Meeeereams uber nasal D4 occent would surely rule her out from a prime slot on a National Radio Station,

Thonk yuuuu sow muuuuch.....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,508 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Miriam O’Callaghan, nobody makes me change stations as fast.

Miriam O’Callaghan, nobody makes me change stations as fast.
    Saw her in Ranelagh this evening. That is to say, I heard her a good 40 paces before I saw her. Some pair of lungs.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,508 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Saw her in Ranelagh this evening. That is to say, I heard her a good 40 paces before I saw her. Some pair of lungs.

The most fake person in the media.

The most fake person in the media.
    Ah I think that's very harsh. I think she's genuinely (oops) empathetic and kind-hearted.

Is she the best interviewer in the world? Of course not.
    Does her voice grate a bit over 2 hours? Absolutely.
    Is her kind persona all an act, the fakest in the media? No chance. Of all the broadcasters deserving of such aspersions, O'Callaghan doesn't even come close.

Most people are good at detecting insincerity, and I reckon most people quite like Miriam O'Callaghan, even if she isn't suited to this format.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Tbf to Miriam, she seems to put in the hours. When she started covering for Seán, she was the first to admit that the Monday Sports Review would not have been her forte. However, she makes a big effort with it and gels well with the expert Sports reviewers. Others have mentioned Claire B as a likely replacement-I have listened to a LOT of Radio 1 this Summer and can only recall her presenting 2 News at 1 shows. Is she on holidays too?

LBC ?where do I get that ...got so annoyed listening to "Thonk you sow muuch" Meeeriam that i nearly flung the faithfull Roberts DAB out the (unopened) window.

Was a close call ......

Download the Global Player app. LBC is on it together with many other stations in their stable.

You will not regret it. It is a much better up to date and relevant Liveline with so many different presenters. It is stuck to my ear now. Well Brexit helps that too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Her over emotion can be counter producative

Yeah, herself and Aine Lawlor really annoy me with the way they try to "inject" emotion in to the topic. Miriam is particularly bad when reading out the intro to a topic - fake enthusiasm. Aine Lawlor is bad when discussing sad items, she feels obliged to emote in sympathy with the victims of the story, and it comes across as very contrived and fake.

I think it would be worth giving the show to John Murray. As was said above, he was never suited to the 9-10am light entertainment slot, but he is solid on the political stuff. And at least it would get him out of the sports department which he seems to hate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement