Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Yeah, herself and Aine Lawlor really annoy me with the way they try to "inject" emotion in to the topic. Miriam is particularly bad when reading out the intro to a topic - fake enthusiasm. Aine Lawlor is bad when discussing sad items, she feels obliged to emote in sympathy with the victims of the story, and it comes across as very contrived and fake.

I think it would be worth giving the show to John Murray. As was said above, he was never suited to the 9-10am light entertainment slot, but he is solid on the political stuff. And at least it would get him out of the sports department which he seems to hate.

It is who you know, not what your gifts are in Rte AFAIS.

I confess to have ignored RTE and NEWSTALK from my listening during the silly season. They are both totally dire.

Kenny is back, great, but SOR is retiring, so that's a NO from me for Miriam of the Long Vowels in the interregnum. Sorry now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Kenny is back, great, but SOR is retiring, so that's a NO from me for Miriam of the Long Vowels in the interregnum. Sorry now.

Has there been confirmation that this is happening, I've been out of the loop and not really listening to the show with Miriam presenting. Was it announced?

Has there been confirmation that this is happening, I've been out of the loop and not really listening to the show with Miriam presenting. Was it announced?
    Irish Daily Star ran a story saying all RTE employees (SO'R is one) have to retire at 65 yrs.

That was a red-top quoting an unnamed source, so not only do we have to take that with a pinch of salt, there would be nothing to prevent SO'R working as a contractor after official retirement.

Bottom line: We're no wiser today than we were last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Yeah, herself and Aine Lawlor really annoy me with the way they try to "inject" emotion in to the topic. Miriam is particularly bad when reading out the intro to a topic - fake enthusiasm. Aine Lawlor is bad when discussing sad items, she feels obliged to emote in sympathy with the victims of the story, and it comes across as very contrived and fake.

I think it would be worth giving the show to John Murray. As was said above, he was never suited to the 9-10am light entertainment slot, but he is solid on the political stuff. And at least it would get him out of the sports department which he seems to hate.

NOT. A. CHANCE. IN. THE. WORLD

• Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

AFAIK not announced, but speculated upon for a long time.

He may do another season until his retirement date. Dunno. But he knows that we know he will retire soon anyway.

The speculation is about who will replace him eventually!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

You will not regret it. It is a much better up to date and relevant Liveline with so many different presenters. It is stuck to my ear now. Well Brexit helps that too!
    Don't agree with this.

I listen to LBC too, but only to James O'Brien on playback on their app. A station that features Nigel Farage, Jonathon Rees-Mogg and even Iain Dale is not for me.

Miriam interviewing Simon coveny.

Coveny is ok, Miriam treating interview like she's on "Saturday View", a notch down from "SOR" and "This week"

These two don't like each other do they? Like a bickering married couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Aine lawlor is never able to keep her left wing political views in check

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭wagtail99

I was listening to ghe show this morning (Wed 21 Aug) and they had this segment on about a sea bin in Howth. As part of it ghey interviewed a 12 yo girl who raised money to do something similar in Dun Laoighre 2 year years ago. The girl had she strangest accent, very much like posh South England voice, I heard some similar accents, though not as extreme, when RTE interviewed some you children in Cork at the time of the Climate Change school walkout a while back.
    Anyhow I was wondering is there some new accent (like upper class English voice) developing among young Irish children?

• Advertisement

wagtail99 wrote: »
    I was listening to ghe show this morning (Wed 21 Aug) and they had this segment on about a sea bin in Howth. As part of it ghey interviewed a 12 yo girl who raised money to do something similar in Dun Laoighre 2 year years ago. The girl had she strangest accent, very much like posh South England voice, I heard some similar accents, though not as extreme, when RTE interviewed some you children in Cork at the time of the Climate Change school walkout a while back.
    Anyhow I was wondering is there some new accent (like upper class English voice) developing among young Irish children?

New!!!!

Developing!!!!

We got Rip Van Winkle here!!!

Jeeez.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Yeah, herself and Aine Lawlor really annoy me with the way they try to "inject" emotion in to the topic. Miriam is particularly bad when reading out the intro to a topic - fake enthusiasm.

Miriam is desperate for little short 'aahs' for want of a better description in those situations. Someone is describing something maybe a little traumatic and she utters these little 'ahs' & 'ohs' in the background. First time you hear it, it's grand but after a while, it's just fecking grating!

wagtail99 wrote: »
    They're kids, man. Maybe one or both of their parents are from the UK, who knows. Just let them be.

Remember the message everyone - All Catholics are the oppressors, All Muslims are the oppressed,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

Remember the message everyone - All Catholics are the oppressors, All Muslims are the oppressed,

What was that about?

Jesus, Marion crunching the gears there... Changes from vaccination to light-hearted music in an instant...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,549 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The Newsroom at 11 o'clock said that Ged Nash was a Labour TD for Louth. He would like to be, but at present he is a Senator.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,525 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

The Newsroom at 11 o'clock said that Ged Nash was a Labour TD for Louth. He would like to be, but at present he is a Senator.

I'm sure the rte newsroom is unionised and they would like him to be too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

He used to be, when he was he campaigned to abolish the senate, then he wasn't a TD anymore. Then, lo and behold, he became a Senator. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

This guy not putting up with Miriam's sh1te.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,525 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

sligojoek wrote: »

Redwood?, hes a nut.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I know. But he took the wind out of her sails.

Like him, I hate the way RTE keep using the "CRASH out" phrase.

How in God's name can an elected Irish politician keep calling it WestminIster?

Because there are arseholes out there who think stuff like that doesn’t matter, that’s why.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Redwood?, hes a nut.

Redwood is far from a nut, he is a bad dude however

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Redwood is far from a nut, he is a bad dude however

Correct, but could do with a deck shoe delivered robustly into the plum-bag, I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

I hate the way RTE keep using the "CRASH out" phrase.
    What phrase would you prefer?

"No-deal" doesn't seem to convey the dire conequences, with anecdoctal reports (from the Brexit thread) of a lot of English people thinking that it means nothing will change.

How about the phrase some are using - Kamikaze Brexit?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,549 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I hear elected British politicians calling it WeSSminster a lot.

I hear elected British politicians calling it WeSSminster a lot.

Lazy tongues.... that’s the answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,059 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Some Brits refer to Ireland as Island.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement