Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Yes that's fair enough, but people are generally not stupid Brendan. If they're going to loan sharks they probably have no other choice, and it's a bit naïve suggesting they trot up to the credit union. That's all I'm saying. The credit union is now just as risk-averse as the banks are, and it follows very strict lending criteria.

If someone just wants a breather for themselves and their family, I don't really blame them for going to a moneylender, risky and expensive as that this.

Eeeey........ I think that about says it all.

We’ll leave it at that. No point in going any further here.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

Miriam is one if the worst presenters on the radio.

Pushing the minister to compromise in the backstop this morning basically blaming a no deal on Ireland.

Reading questions from a script.

She is clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,969 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

lola85 wrote: »
    Miriam is one if the worst presenters on the radio.

Pushing the minister to compromise in the backstop this morning basically blaming a no deal on Ireland.

Reading questions from a script.

She is clueless.

In fairness - as an impartial journalist that is her job. Devil's advocate.

In fairness - as an impartial journalist that is her job. Devil's advocate.

But she was anything but impartial??

But she was anything but impartial??

She took the other view...as devil's advocate. Kenny and any decent journalist does that all the time. In Kenny's case you wouldn't know what his personal politics was = a good journalist imo.

Miriam isn't at that level, but she was doing the exact same thing here.

• Advertisement

She took the other view...as devil's advocate. Kenny and any decent journalist does that all the time. In Kenny's case you wouldn't know what his personal politics was = a good journalist imo.

Miriam isn't at that level, but she was doing the exact same thing here.

She was making out it’s the Irish governments fault we are heading for a no deal Brexit.

That is not impartial, that is expressing her opinion which no one else except the British believe.

She was making out it’s the Irish governments fault we are heading for a no deal Brexit.

That is not impartial, that is expressing her opinion which no one else except the British believe.

Clue = she was playing devil's advocate...taking the other side?

But surely Lola her job is to robustly examine elected public representatives. In doing so, she's not expressing a personal opinion. Their claims stand or falls based on merit, which must be tested.

I just remembered something MO'C said in an interview, years ago, maybe in her conversation with Tony Benn (if you Google it, it should be available online). She said that the mark of a good journalist is to ask the toughest and most challenging questions.

I personally find Sean O'Rourke's style of interviewing a little... Chummy? A bit like George Hook barking and snarling like a drunk terrier, but you know he only has the bite of a sleepy kitten. Tickle his belly or dangle the string of a Connaught Final before his eyes, and he starts mewing.

Say something nostalgic about The Irish Press and you can almost imagine him purring.

O'Callaghan s a qualified solicitor, and she probably would have made a formidable yet sympathetic lawyer. I'm not saying that as a particular fan of hers, by the way: Miriam Meets was a crime against television, and maybe there are better candidates to replace Sean O'Rourke. Such as Audrey Carville or Bryan Dobson.

Anyway, the bottom line is that Miriam O Callaghan is currently showing-up some serious defecits in the Seán O'Rourke show and his ability to cover all of the various topics required of a magazine format.

I'd say he'd only love being put out to pasture doing reports from Leinster Club Football Championship or the Walsh Cup for Saturday Sport, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

She gave Geoffrey Donaldson an easy ride. A new question after every monosyllabic answer he gave

sligojoek wrote: »
    She gave Geoffrey Donaldson an easy ride. A new question after every monosyllabic answer he gave

Exactly my point.

Was reading from a script and has no tact abut Brexit.

Donaldson knew this and played her like a fiddle.

She is stealing a living.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Perhaps she thought she was talking to Daniel O Donnell . Easy mistake to make !;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Exactly my point.

Was reading from a script and has no tact abut Brexit.

Donaldson knew this and played her like a fiddle.

She is stealing a living.

Miriam is always very cushy with the unionists.

Anytime she has a Shinners on it's a different story - she uses emotive language and brings up the Provos, etc.

Let's not forget, Miriam worked for years for Maggie Thatcher's BBC, is a Fianna Fáiler through and through and us out of her depth, genuinely.

Martin McGuinness was right to call her out as fraud.

We should get Bosco to interview the Dee Ewe Pay next time.

Miriam is always very cushy with the unionists.

Anytime she has a Shinners on it's a different story - she uses emotive language and brings up the Provos, etc.

Let's not forget, Miriam worked for years for Maggie Thatcher's BBC, is a Fianna Fáiler through and through and us out of her depth, genuinely.

Martin McGuinness was right to call her out as fraud.

We should get Bosco to interview the Dee Ewe Pay next time.

Never knew any of this.

Cheers.

Miriam is RTE Royalty . You are commanded to ; Adulate her , serfs !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

This is a great oul row. Fair play to this lad for getting stuck into the journalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,525 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

This is a great oul row. Fair play to this lad for getting stuck into the journalist.

Who was it?

Who was it?

Some British journalist and Dearbhail Mcdonald

• Registered Users Posts: 13,059 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Given the amount of rubbish produced by the Irish Independent on a daily basis, you'd think Dearbhail would be a bit more cautious with her criticism of other newspapers.

Who was it?

Brendan (my family are peasant stock) O'Neill editor of Spiked and a fervent brexiteer, Dearbhail O'Donnell and Roy Greenslade. Media commemtator and contributor the The Guardian.

O'Neill continues to provide the laughs.

Brendan (my family are peasant stock) O'Neill editor of Spiked and a fervent brexiteer, Dearbhail O'Donnell and Roy Greenslade. Media commemtator and contributor the The Guardian.

O'Neill continues to provide the laughs.
    Apparently peasant stock makes good soup .;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Jesus the irony of RTE not having a spokesperson to discuss the licence.

They are a law unto themselves :eek:

The truth of it is that RTE realise that nobody is watching their content any more, so they want to charge everybody for viewing stuff on the Internet, with the fake pretense that they are charging people for RTE Internet based services.

I'm only waiting for one of the contributors to state that "it's a disgrace that RTE could not provider a spokeperson today" just to complete the whole ridiculousness of the entire situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Before Michael Healy Rae started speaking I was able to come up with each point he was going to make. He's nothing if not on brand...

That point re post offices closing irks me, if they are not profitable is there a real need to have as many as there are?

Local one by me closed a few months ago and there was a few protests. The next nearest post offices are about a 5-10 minute walk in 3 different directions...

Nobody has a problem paying for public service broadcasting, it's the excesses that p1ss people off. And the bias. Duffy on 400K a year to answer the phones, ridiculous.

Does Larry Bass not get work from RTE. Why is he on here, to make sure that he has work in the future?

Remember the last time this yank was on. "It will be finished in April, hopefully". Finished in August. f**king clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

Is Miriam's voice more annoying on radio? To this listener, the answer is yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

withless wrote: »
    Is Miriam's voice more annoying on radio? To this listener, the answer is yes.

Definitely.

Her lisp is much more noticeable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement