Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Junkies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,662 ✭✭✭✭josip

ted1 wrote: »
    We moved our office to bray, much cheaper rent. There's some offices beside us for rent. Fairly basic but cheap.

At my age, I think cycling from the Graduate to Bray would be the death of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

josip wrote: »
    Larbre, I don't mean to pry so tell me to fcuk off if it comes across that way :D
    Are you an unemployed business owner? I can't reconcile your 2 posts.

No indeed I'm a self-employed business owner for the moment thankfully! But I do know enough people through the sector I work in that are unemployed and who do need to visit dole offices, and who arent junkies or even close

• Registered Users Posts: 23,320 ✭✭✭✭ted1

josip wrote: »
    At my age, I think cycling from the Graduate to Bray would be the death of me.

Fair enough.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

€500 x 804 = €402k to pay for more jobs for the boyos.

Surely you don't think the Chairman has too much on his hands with being a board member of the Harbour Company and is he still the top man of the Dun Laoghaire Business Association also? :o

These committees don't run themselves you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Kali_Kalika

coylemj wrote: »
    They have to provide a urine sample to show that they are clean before they get the methadone dose which means that they are off illegal drugs and believe me, that represents a much better state of affairs than having dozens of heroin addicts thieving in the area all day to pay the serious cost of feeding their addiction.

Not always true. There is a Doctor near Seapoint who is well known within the addict circle who doesnt test them for other drugs and will give weekly/monthly prescriptions for 120+ mls of methadone a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 szbvhl

To get back to the original post on where they're all hanging out nowadays. They've all moved to the imc cinema car park it seems. I've visited a few times and seen them wandering around the place. Once accidentally took the fire escape trying to get out of the car park as soon as I walked through I saw about 3 needles lying on the stairs the only thing that shocked my the most was if they are aware of the situation why they haven't even tried to fix the lights in that stairwell. As I left I noticed they had one of the hazardous boxes to dispose of needles. I talked to the attendant about the issue he just laughed as if it was something they're used to. Poor guys

• Registered Users Posts: 13,662 ✭✭✭✭josip

Still a priority and stated objective of the Dun Laoghaire Business Association
    Pat Downey, represented the DLBA throughout the SARA project which has seen an analysis of ASBO in the town due to homelessness , addiction , substance abuse, and the problems of the location of a Methadone Clinic in our town centre now that it at an end the association will have to consider its position going forward, the feeling is that the clinic on Patrick St is in a most unsuitable location given that the town is becoming a Marine Leisure Tourist Destination and the jobs and business that can be delivered to the town if it is considered to be a safe place to shop and work
    and
    The DLBA work programme 2014 will focus on:
    • Work with the Gardaí to address Anti-Social Behaviour
    • Removal of HSE Clinic from Town Centre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

This thread continues as this problem continues and is getting worse imo. Was down the pier a few times this week, but was sickened at the filth of the place left behind by the junkies etc.

Tracked down the number of the harbour police but got the absolute run around. Spoke eventually to a guy on the phone who firstly said it was not their jurisdiction and then said that he was afraid to go over and tackle the crowd of 15 plus who sat, drank, spat, and littered the place.

Why do I bother recycling when I look behind and see 20 million cans of empty beers, McDonald cartons all being flung into our sea.

Does anybody care. What the eff do the harbour police do. How much is the CEO of the harbour police being paid? This is happening daily on his watch. How is this allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Saw one junkie pissing on the dun laoghaire library can in his hand around 4pm, who had earlier been shooting up in the grassy area there around 1. beautiful sight on such a sunny day. the pier is even worse, tried sitting there on my first lunch break working in dun laoghaire, quickly moved.

Have to keep pestering harbour police to do their job, if you have any contact details Chinasea for appropriate authorities probably be good to share them here so people can complain(going to google myself later).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The harbour police are rentacop / clampers. Nothing else. If you want to report ASB, call the proper cops.

If Shane Ross ever gets on with his proper job, the Harbour will be taken over by the Council and this odd feel of a principality about the harbour will hopefully disappear. Along with clamping and the harbour """""police"""", please God.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,320 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Chinasea wrote: »
    What the eff do the harbour police do. How much is the CEO of the harbour police being paid? This is happening daily on his watch. How is this allowed.

They clamp

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

there is a €35 euro fine for breaking a harbour by-law (1st offence). The Harbour Police also have the power of arrest, even if it's just to hand over the offender to the Gardai. One or two days of actually implementing the by-laws would clean the place up. What's the number? I might start ringing them.

I'll get the number again and post. It is a mobile number. I can't decipher from my log of last week which number it is. It is not on the website conveniently!

It would be great to see some action. As said the """""""harbour police """"""" had no intentions of breaking up the littering, spitting mob. Blind eye.

Harbour Police CEO, where art thou?

The harbour bylaws are here http://dlharbour.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Bye-Laws.pdf Section 6 is your man, There are specific references to drinking and drug taking being prohibited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

This thread continues as this problem continues and is getting worse imo. Was down the pier a few times this week, but was sickened at the filth of the place left behind by the junkies etc.

Tracked down the number of the harbour police but got the absolute run around. Spoke eventually to a guy on the phone who firstly said it was not their jurisdiction and then said that he was afraid to go over and tackle the crowd of 15 plus who sat, drank, spat, and littered the place.

Why do I bother recycling when I look behind and see 20 million cans of empty beers, McDonald cartons all being flung into our sea.

Does anybody care. What the eff do the harbour police do. How much is the CEO of the harbour police being paid? This is happening daily on his watch. How is this allowed.

How do you know the drug addicts left all the mess? I've been down there several times and seen students from a local school make a fillty mess. I've seen the same students graffiti that eyesore of a library too. I've seen dog walkers leave behind huge amounts of dog s### and people don't bat an eye lid, which is extremely dangerous around young kids.

How do you know the drug addicts left all the mess? I've been down there several times and seen students from a local school make a fillty mess. I've seen the same students graffiti that eyesore of a library too. I've seen dog walkers leave behind huge amounts of dog s### and people don't bat an eye lid, which is extremely dangerous around young kids.

Agree re the dog poop. Let's try and deal with this particular standing problem however. Please read back over the posts that refer to the phone calls x umpteen that have been made to the harbour police resulting in no
    Response, and that in one call I myself made the harbour police said he was "afraid" to go in.

If you are questioning it then perhaps you don't know where this particular gatering place is.

agreed re dog#### etc, but I saw syringes down that way a few weeks ago. 99% sure that that was junkies and not schoolkids (I hope)

What local school btw? I can't think of a secondary school in the town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Agree re the dog poop. Let's try and deal with this particular standing problem however. Please read back over the posts that refer to the phone calls x umpteen that have been made to the harbour police resulting in no
    Response, and that in one call I myself made the harbour police said he was "afraid" to go in.

If you are questioning it then perhaps you don't know where this particular gatering place is.

I am in no way condoning the drug addicts behaviour but I've seen other people from the area litter and leave the place in a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

How bout we concentrate on stopping people pissing in public, shooting up, being wasted, leaving syringes and beer cans on public streets, then get those littering?

Name and shaming harbour street police on social media will help eventually. seriously what do they do. any luck on a number yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Dublin is a kip now unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Loads of places in Ireland are a kip, I was down in Waterford and had to lift my kids over drunks sleeping across the footpath on Dock Street during a major festival weekend. What's you point JustTheOne?

You're wasting your time with the Harbour Police, they are simply glorified clampers. When there is a crime committed in the harbour, AGS are called to respond. So have the local Station number in your phone (01) 6665000 and use it.

If you want to make a point with the Harbour Authority, then go much higher up the ladder http://dlharbour.ie/about/personnel/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭The Truth Man

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Dublin is a kip now unfortunately.

Indeed, that's what happens when you let Liberal do gooders run a city into the ground. No long term planning, no respect for the place from it's citizens, crime out of control and a pathetic vastly outresourced and overrun police force.

The writing was on the wall up to 10 years ago, I honestly would not want to guess at the state of the place in another 5-10 years. It's a city for the rich and those in Council Housing. It says alot this discussion is based on Dun Laoghaire, most people would associate the area with being posh, better off etc. I'm sure most people know how low things have sunk in worse off areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

You're right, it was much better in the good old days when there were tenements, institutionalised poverty, and laissez faire "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" thinking.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Loads of places in Ireland are a kip, I was down in Waterford and had to lift my kids over drunks sleeping across the footpath on Dock Street during a major festival weekend. What's you point JustTheOne?

You're right, it was much better in the good old days when there were tenements, institutionalised poverty, and laissez faire "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" thinking.

Usual whataboutery that has the city the state it's in. "At least it isn't Waterford" "At least it isn't like year X.". Nothing of substance back from the Liberal do gooders only change the subject and make pathetic excuses.

The sad thing is things will continue to decline because the people allow it To. If there is one thing Liberals are good at it's allowing an area turn into a kip, we have seen it time and time again. But heh, maybe Richard Boyd Barrett, People Before Profit and the Green Party will solve these issues. :D

Time to switch off Fox news and stop feeding trumpisms into your brain and maybe pick up a book on liberalism and educate on how liberalism in Europe equates more to limited government and laissez-faire policies. You're post is lacking in any substantive meaning and instead you choose to through out a few tired American clichés. Come back when you're ready to talk to the adults.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Time to switch off Fox news and stop feeding trumpisms into your brain and maybe pick up a book on liberalism and educate on how liberalism in Europe equates more to limited government and laissez-faire policies. You're post is lacking in any substantive meaning and instead you choose to through out a few tired American clichés. Come back when you're ready to talk to the adults.

Ah I was right, typical do gooder Leftist.

Not sure what Donald Trump or Fox News has to do with Ireland, or the state of Dublin city, or Dun Laoghaire's junkies. But please continue to change the subject even further, typical of your type because you have no answers to the problems. Just strawman argument after strawman argument, it's actually embarrassing.

I always wondered what type of person voted for Boyd-Barrett and the other Looneys, particularly in a supposed educated and wealthy area. Fascinating to encounter such a mix.It's because of people like you and your idol Boyd-Barrett, Dun Laoghaire has these social problems. You enable it and allow it to continue. That is the cold hard truth, nothing will change with limp wristed Liberals like you and your ilk enabling the decline of the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

I was listening to the JD show a couple of years ago when they were discussing a methadone clinic situated in DL. He had two callers on the line, one of them , Mick , who worked for some charity or other, who was speaking in support of the clinic in the area.

Mick, to me, seemed to have some sort of a fetish for down-and-outs. Mick would say things like 'if only you heard their story', blah blah blah. Mick seemed to be of the view that most everyone else views drug addicts as vermin that we must hold our noses and step over them as we pass them by.

Mick doesn't like the idea that drug-addicts be managed in such a way that they are 'out of view'. In fact Mick things we should see them wherever we go, so that maybe they would serve as a reminder to us as how lucky we all are.

When I was a kid my mum would take me to visit my aunt who still lives in Phibsborough and one of the things we would do is take a trip to DL on the bus. I have fond memories of those trips every summer. The reason we went there is because DL IS A ATTRACTION. Point is, if there were one place you wouldn't put a methadone clinic it would be in an place that IS AN ATTRACTION. I wasn't taken to Dolphins Barn because that area wouldn't be considered an attraction, as lovely and down to earth as the people there are.

When I lived in Dublin a few years back I would take the occasional trip to DL on my day off work. I went there to enjoy the sea view and have a coffee. The type of things you would do in a place that is an attraction. Not to sneer at someone lying in a doorway and feel superior about myself.

Mick, I don't feel guilty when I say that I don't want to see junkies in DL. Or anywhere for that matter. I know bad things happen to people that get them in that position but bad things happen to everyone in this life whether one is wealthy or not. I don't wan't to see squalor everywhere I go. It's really not good for the soul. Just because some people are down doesn't mean everyone should be brought down with them. I'd like to be able to go somewhere and feel everything is all right in the world , if only for an hour sitting by the pier.

learn_more wrote: »
    When I lived in Dublin a few years back I would take the occasional trip to DL on my day off work. I went there to enjoy the sea view and have a coffee. The type of things you would do in a place that is an attraction. Not to sneer at someone lying in a doorway and feel superior about myself.

Mick, I don't feel guilty when I say that I don't want to see junkies in DL. Or anywhere for that matter. I know bad things happen to people that get them in that position but bad things happen to everyone in this life whether one is wealthy or not. I don't wan't to see squalor everywhere I go. It's really not good for the soul. Just because some people are down doesn't mean everyone should be brought down with them. I'd like to be able to go somewhere and feel everything is all right in the world , if only for an hour sitting by the pier.

I agree with all you said learn_more, the only positive thing I can say is you made the right decision to leave Dublin. It's steadily getting worse year on year and nothing is being done about it. Outside Dublin isn't perfect by any means and there is not many jobs, but to see the state Dublin is in these days is just a sight to behold. As you mentioned JD, to quote him, Dublin is an unadulterated kip and things are getting worse not better. When you see who runs Dublin City Council, it's not really a surprise.

Not sure what Donald Trump or Fox News has to do with Ireland, or the state of Dublin city, or Dun Laoghaire's junkies. But please continue to change the subject even further, typical of your type because you have no answers to the problems. Just strawman argument after strawman argument, it's actually embarrassing.

I always wondered what type of person voted for Boyd-Barrett and the other Looneys, particularly in a supposed educated and wealthy area. Fascinating to encounter such a mix.It's because of people like you and your idol Boyd-Barrett, Dun Laoghaire has these social problems. You enable it and allow it to continue. That is the cold hard truth, nothing will change with limp wristed Liberals like you and your ilk enabling the decline of the area.

More clichés, bravo. You forgot msm and sheeple for the full bull**** bingo :)

I offered solutions in my original post, you're the one turning it into a political slagging match. You don't know the first thing about me, where I live or work, nor my political beliefs. But carry on exposing yourself as a fool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

You think these social problems didn't exist before Boyd Barrett was elected?

Sure and in the good old days, there was none of this alcoholism or domestic violence. Sure wasn't it all pushed behind closed doors where "right thinking" individuals could pretend it didn't exist because they didn't have to look at it?

Much better altogether.

Advertisement