Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Junkies

Options
  • 22-08-2013 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

I know its been talked about before and for as long as I remember there has been a drug issue in Dun Laoghaire..

But with the recent building of the the new library their hangout spot is gone..
    They seem to have taken to the streets more than ever..
    The CoCo are trying to pump money into the place to make it nice for tourists yet all they are going to achieve is more reviews like this
    beautiful harbour built two hundred years ago - very pleasant walk........but be very very careful in the town center. It is infested with junkies and crackheads. Not a very nice place at all, with an eyesore of a half empty shopping center in the middle. Much better to go to nearby villages like Monkstown, Sandycove and Dalkey.

The local politicians,Dlr CoCo and Gardai dont seem to be doing anything about it!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Not arguing with the substance particularly, but any link or source for the review please?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭s14barnes

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Not arguing with the substance particularly, but any link or source for the review please?

its just a tripadviser review but none the less this is how tourists are going to see Dun Laoghaire.

TripAdvisor

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

It's how one visitor views DL in fairness. It does have a problem with alcoholics and loud mouthed skangers shouting at each other, but it's really not "infested" with junkies and crackheads.

The Library building site hasn't moved the drunks on much either, they're still close by. However, I've never had any hassle or abuse from any of them when passing by.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

To be fair, it's not illegal to look dodgy, Nobody can do anything about Junkies sitting around the place if they're not doing any wrong

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 24,559 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

There's a methadone clinic off Patrick St so there are bound to be junkies in the area. But there's nothing that can be done about that but remove any that cause trouble from the streets.

I know they make some people uncomfortable, particularly after dark, but if they do nothing wrong then you can't just take them off the streets. As much as you would want to...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Its my home town, I have a lot of love for it but lately it seems to be getting a lot more Junkies. Not sure if its just the library but the building of the new site at moran park is probably not helping, thats were a lot of them use to hangout.

There seems to be a lot around at the Boylan Centre these days as well.

Drinking on the public road and loitering are against the law last time I checked, never enforced in the centre of Dun Laoghaire anyway

That group of shams has certainly expanded this year, theres a definite mix of junkies and winos goading and braying at each other now. Harmless to passers by but you can see the tourism impact

Glad to see that Trip Advisor review was the only negative in a ream of positives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Was staying with a friend out there a few weeks back,first time I've been out in DL in years.

Didn't notice many addicts/winos etc knocking about, but thought the whole town is very run down and depressing looking in general.The approach to the cinema and shopping centre in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭blossom180

There's a methadone clinic off Patrick St so there are bound to be junkies in the area. But there's nothing that can be done about that but remove any that cause trouble from the streets.

I know they make some people uncomfortable, particularly after dark, but if they do nothing wrong then you can't just take them off the streets. As much as you would want to...

The clinic is moving to Kill O The Grange to the old Garda Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

blossom180 wrote: »
    The clinic is moving to Kill O The Grange to the old Garda Station.
    Got a link to this anywhere?

• Advertisement

frash wrote: »
    Got a link to this anywhere?

Sorry no link just told by a person working there.

Is it now? Will be interesting to see that one publicised. The folks up there were upset enough to lose the copshop, i can imagine the outrage when they hear that practically the opposite is moving into the building. In fact i know of two particularly influential people in that neck of the woods who will ensure it doesnt happen.

Makes no sense as a location anyway, quite inaccessible for the target clientele

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

I have no link, but also heard that the clinic was moving there.

TheVoodoo wrote: »
    I have no link, but also heard that the clinic was moving there.

Half way better two primary schools!!
    Great plan.

Half way better two primary schools!!
    Great plan.

Huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Huh?

I assume he meant between.

But I really, really hope it doesn't end up there.

TheVoodoo wrote: »
    I assume he meant between.

But I really, really hope it doesn't end up there.

Yeah meant 'between'
    Daft phone.

Really don't want it there either.

Agreed. The contact details of your local Council and Oireachtas reps are easily available, so get lobbying everyone. Bear in mind, and make sure they are reminded, local and European elections in 9.5 months time.....

Agreed. The contact details of your local Council and Oireachtas reps are easily available, so get lobbying everyone. Bear in mind, and make sure they are reminded, local and European elections in 9.5 months time.....

Think it be done a.nd dusted before the elections

blossom180 wrote: »
    Think it be done a.nd dusted before the elections

Yes I assumed as much, the point is they should know they'll be blamed at election time if its let happen - apart from all the other stuff they'll be voted out over.....

• Advertisement

Contacted all the Dun Laoghaire councillors.

This rumour is false according to all of them.
    Planning permission would also be needed.

Good stuff, thank you.

Good stuff,thank you.

No problem.
    Now have emails from HSE confirming there are no plans to move the existing clinic to there or anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭s14barnes

that's a pity

s14barnes wrote: »
    that's a pity

How come?

If you mean Dun Laoghaire would be better off, I agree as its an unsuitable location. The former KO'G copshop is even less suitable though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Why didn't the CoCo set up proper rehab program's for these people. Instead they pump €34 million into a library we don't need waste of money. And fix the roads they are in an awful state. Build homes for the thousands that are on housing lists in DLR its a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Why didn't the CoCo set up proper rehab program's for these people. Instead they pump €34 million into a library we don't need waste of money. And fix the roads they are in an awful state. Build homes for the thousands that are on housing lists in DLR its a joke.

Because the library will have a big plaque on the front announcing which of our glorious councillors cut the ribbon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Which library is that?
    The renovations of the Deansgrange one doesnt look like it's near a €34m job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Which library is that?

Dirty great big building currently being built in front of the royal marine hotel.

It will be a superb amenity, but again, I question the priorities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Which library is that?

It's been built beside or on the old bowling lawn bedside the royal marine you can't miss it.

Advertisement