Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Junkies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The money doesnt work that way. When i submit a planning levy for a client building something, the council split it 3 ways, between different funds for roads or water or amenities. Under the legislation they have no discretion to spend unspent amenity money on roads or anything else. The amenity money has built up in the hundreds of millions since the boom, which is why you see so many parks and playgrounds and council golf courses and markets being built or revamped. The central library is part of that spend. It does seem wrong when so many other services are struggling but the planning legislation would have to change to divert the cash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

It's no surprise that the bad review is from a person from Dublin. I would hazard a guess they're not too far from Dún Laoghaire either. Great idea posting that on a site frequented by tourists. :rolleyes:

It's not even close to the reality of visiting Dun Laoghaire. There's more than a fair share of alcos and drug addicts around, but other than looking unpleasant they are not doing anything wrong (drinking cans, big deal) and definitely not troubling tourists.

Dún Laoghaire's decline gets more coverage than most because a lot of the media types just happen to live in and around here. That and the fact that there are few nicer locations in the country. The place has so much potential to be great.

Doesn't seem to be much ambition about the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭voter1983

What I don't understand is why a library needs such a big building

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

voter1983 wrote: »
    What I don't understand is why a library needs such a big building

It is a library and cultural centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Larbre34 wrote: »
    How come?

If you mean Dun Laoghaire would be better off, I agree as its an unsuitable location. The former KO'G copshop is even less suitable though.

The problem with the treatment centres is that the addicts hang around Dun Laoghaire for the day after they get their fix. If it moved to KOTG they would have nothing to do and toddle off somewhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Why didn't the CoCo set up proper rehab program's for these people. Instead they pump €34 million into a library we don't need waste of money. And fix the roads they are in an awful state. Build homes for the thousands that are on housing lists in DLR its a joke.

There is no room for anymore housing in DLR and tbh we don't need anymore social housing in the area. Shoving people up to Ballyogan seems to have worked a bit. To hell or to Ballyogan is my saying :D

PS: I live in a council estate.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

There is no room for anymore housing in DLR and tbh we don't need anymore social housing in the area. Shoving people up to Ballyogan seems to have worked a bit. To hell or to Ballyogan is my saying :D

PS: I live in a council estate.

DLR is probably the most desirable area in the country to live in. There's plenty more space and this is evident by the new residential building under way and what's planned for the near future (eg. DL Harbour masterplan)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,588 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Why didn't the CoCo set up proper rehab program's for these people. Instead they pump €34 million into a library we don't need waste of money. And fix the roads they are in an awful state. Build homes for the thousands that are on housing lists in DLR its a joke.

agree 100%, building 3 massive libraries in the area - Dun Laoghaire/Blackrock and Deans Grange , what in the digital age , especially when the roads are some of the worst in Europe and the housing list is never ending - they seam to be a law unto themselves down at Dun laoghaire hall, John Waters was dead right not paying his parking ticket , the place is a ghosttown at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

thebaz wrote: »
    agree 100%, building 3 massive libraries in the area - Dun Laoghaire/Blackrock and Deans Grange , what in the digital age , especially when the roads are some of the worst in Europe and the housing list is never ending - they seam to be a law unto themselves down at Dun laoghaire hall, John Waters was dead right not paying his parking ticket , the place is a ghosttown at night.

To be fair DLR roads are pretty good for the most part, certainly compared to the other counties within Dublin even.

To be fair DLR roads are pretty good for the most part, certainly compared to the other counties within Dublin even.

personally I think they are appalling , but not surprised , as they are constantly being dug up - think they are drilling for oil , and not in the sea :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

May I suggest you drive through sallynoggin one day, or up castlepark road, or maybe Monkstown road?

Still, glad to see a new island put in along Queens road, the tourists see that, not Sallynoggin so that is waaay more important.

DLRCOCO is all fir coat no knickers.

May I suggest you drive through sallynoggin one day, or up castlepark road, or maybe Monkstown road?

Still, glad to see a new island put in along Queens road, the tourists see that, not Sallynoggin so that is waaay more important.

DLRCOCO is all fir coat no knickers.

I think you just described The Gathering!

Its true though, some of the main roads are in absolute bits. Glenageary Hill was fixed up last year but thats about it, I actually avoid Monkstown Road with the car as its a teeth rattling experience. A lot of those cr@ppy red ramps have disintegrated as well, the worst ones on Avondale Road are replaced but theres loads still causing problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

John Waters was dead right not paying his parking ticket ,

The man is a fool. He moans about not being able to relax and enjoy his cup of coffee. Has he never heard of multi-storey car parking? If he doesn't know how long he's going to be, can he not do what the rest of us do and park in the multi-storey, then pay when we get back.

John Waters - when a 15 minute grace period just isn't enough

RainyDay wrote: »
    The man is a fool. He moans about not being able to relax and enjoy his cup of coffee. Has he never heard of multi-storey car parking? If he doesn't know how long he's going to be, can he not do what the rest of us do and park in the multi-storey, then pay when we get back.

John Waters - when a 15 minute grace period just isn't enough

again I 100% agree with John Waters on this - its the principle - the community life in Dun Laoghaite and Blackrock are being destoyed by the over zealous approach - go and talk to any shopkeeper on Dun Laoghaire or Blackrock main street - the issue needs to be highlighted.

The parking issue has been highlighted more than the bloody banking crisis. The Council brought it in about 10 years ago to end all day parking congestion in the towns and along the DART. As someone who has worked on the same street for that long i remember how bad it was, people couldnt park at their homes after 8am, and both residents and business groups demanded it to allow for a turnover of spaces convenient to the shops etc. The regime may be too strict and zealous but the Councillors who have the power to change it wont do it because it has the support of a silent majority who support it because they have had much easier lives when it comes to accessing their homes for the last ten years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

again I 100% agree with John Waters on this - its the principle - the community life in Dun Laoghaite and Blackrock are being destoyed by the over zealous approach - go and talk to any shopkeeper on Dun Laoghaire or Blackrock main street - the issue needs to be highlighted.

What is 'over zealous' about a 15 minute grace period? If that's not enough, just park in the multi-storey, like the rest of us do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

The man lives not too far from Dun Laoghaire. WTF couldn't he walk, cycle and 'live' the free and easy harmless hippy pseudo image that he tries to portray. How much of my tax payers money has he diverted to his selfish demonstration. Why doesn't he campaign for better cycling facilities?

The parking situation in Dun Laoghaire has NOT been the cause of the 'global economic downturn. Let's get real.

I am not saying that parking charges are not a deterrent to shop in Dun Laoghaire, but what is the solution. Everyone I know drives a car and their umpteen offsprings have a car each, so where are they all supposed to fit????

There is a very good public transport to Dun L. Most people that shop in Dun L are from the borough, so they could easily access on foot, cycling or by public transport. CAR IS NOT KING.

It is up to the citizens and the questionable Business Ass. now to save the town. Shop on line if you want, shop in Dundrum if you want, drive and double park on every square inch of the place if you want, but you will soon have a doom town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 SjB75

TheVoodoo wrote: »
    I assume he meant between.

But I really, really hope it doesn't end up there.

it has brought to the attention of the residents of Kill O the Grange that there are plans to move the methadone clinic to the old Garda station. I have emailed our local councillor John Bailey and I have been on the planning permission web site of DLRCC, as of yet no reply from councillor or no post on the web for planning permission. I know this is an old post but today I have heard from 2 people this will be going ahead. Has anyone of the residents in the area heard anything ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

SjB75 wrote: »
    it has brought to the attention of the residents of Kill O the Grange that there are plans to move the methadone clinic to the old Garda station. I have emailed our local councillor John Bailey and I have been on the planning permission web site of DLRCC, as of yet no reply from councillor or no post on the web for planning permission. I know this is an old post but today I have heard from 2 people this will be going ahead. Has anyone of the residents in the area heard anything ?

Who brought it to their attention?
    I'd imagine this is just the same rumour that was floating around last Summer.

I contacted all the local councillors back then & none of them knew anything about it (although one had heard the rumour (maybe on here!)).

OPW would have to approve a new use for the Garda station & planning permission would be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 The Reverend

It is not a rumour. The methadone clinic will be moving from Dun Laoghaire to the old Garda station at Baker's Corner.

The reasons, according to the Gardai are straight forward:

1. Bakers Corner is a closer location to the majority of methadone recipients.

2. Due to it's location, Bakers Corner offers little reason for the addicts to hang around after they have received their medication. Dun Laoghaire, on the other hand, is full of people, shops, parks and recreational areas, where the addicts are constantly causing disruption, notably to the locals going about their daily business. Bakers corner, not being a town, does not have these amenities and, as mentioned, is seen as less attractive place for the addicts to hang around.

3. There is an issue of fairness involved and collective responsibility within different regions of Dublin. Dun Laoghaire has had to deal with the addicts, and their disruptive affect on the town population, for many years, whilst Baker's Corner has not. So, quite frankly, it's now someone else's turn to have to deal with them.

4. An earlier poster mentioned that 'influential' locals would make sure the clinic will never be moved to Baker's Corner. I'm sorry to report that nobody has any such 'influence', regardless of their ego, or how powerful they think they are. The plans have been approved, permission has been granted, and the move will be going ahead in the very near future, most probably before the end of the Summer 2014.

The Reverend,

A Dun Laoghaire resident.

• Advertisement

It is not a rumour. The methadone clinic will be moving from Dun Laoghaire to the old Garda station at Baker's Corner.

2. Due to it's location, Bakers Corner offers little reason for the addicts to hang around after they have received their medication. Dun Laoghaire, on the other hand, is full of people, shops, parks and recreational areas, where the addicts are constantly causing disruption, notably to the locals going about their daily business. Bakers corner, not being a town, does not have these amenities and, as mentioned, is seen as less attractive place for the addicts to hang around.

3. There is an issue of fairness involved and collective responsibility within different regions of Dublin. Dun Laoghaire has had to deal with the addicts, and their disruptive affect on the town population, for many years, whilst Baker's Corner has not. So, quite frankly, it's now someone else's turn to have to deal with them.

4. An earlier poster mentioned that 'influential' locals would make sure the clinic will never be moved to Baker's Corner. I'm sorry to report that nobody has any such 'influence', regardless of their ego, or how powerful they think they are. The plans have been approved, permission has been granted, and the move will be going ahead in the very near future, most probably before the end of the Summer 2014.

The Reverend,

Got a link to back any of this up?

Like I said before I was on to the council last September when this rumour was circulating and none of the councillors knew anything about it.

The OPW own the garda station now & planning permission would be needed to make it into a methadone clinic.

Frash (also a Dun Laoghaire resident :rolleyes:)

Happened to be in DLR county hall on other Planning business earlier, asked the Planning Dept if there were any live permissions on the old Garda Station, for a clinic or otherwise? Funnily enough they said that there are not. :rolleyes:

Must send an email to the secretary of the Joint Policing Committee and see what the reality is "according to the Gardaí". Somehow I suspect they wont know anything about it either......

Larbre34
    Planning consultant.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Happened to be in DLR county hall on other Planning business earlier, asked the Planning Dept if there were any live permissions on the old Garda Station, for a clinic or otherwise? Funnily enough they said that there are not. :rolleyes:

Must send an email to the secretary of the Joint Policing Committee and see what the reality is "according to the Gardaí". Somehow I suspect they wont know anything about it either......

Larbre34
    Planning consultant.

Thanks for that Larbre34 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

The Reverend,

Number 3, comedy gold :D

This has got to be the worst list of reasons as to why a clinic should be relocated, not for one second that it's believable.

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Number 3, comedy gold :D

This has got to be the worst list of reasons as to why a clinic should be relocated, not for one second that it's believable.

Lads,

I'm not trying to cause a stir here or ruffle anyone's feathers - I appreciate I am a new member on this site and, as such, my posts will be taken with a pinch of salt, as I would with any new member. I will try and be respectful to all established members on the site.

I don't have a link to what I have been told however, one of the local Gardai is a resident in my apartment block and I've known him for years. He is just giving me the facts about what he knows, although item three was more his opinion that any official line.

He says it's common knowledge within the Gardai that this move is taking place. Whether that translates to local counsellors or town planners knowing about it too is another matter. As the move is to a location outside of the immediate borough of Dun Laoghaire, it is quite probable that locals are not aware of any plans that are being made for that location.

I've lived here for 20 years yet I never heard about the new library until I saw building works starting. I didn't know there was a festival this year until I got off the DART one evening to find it in full swing and I didn't know that Stena Lines had finally closed the Dun Laoghaire-Holyhead route till I tried to book a ticket this Christmas. I didn't know that nobody else can use the harbour as the jetty was custom-built for the HSS so we're never going to have a ferry service in Dun Laoghaire again - from three sailings a day seven years ago, to no prospect of another ferry ever docking again, and with it, the hundreds of tourists who used to arrive daily during the summer.

My point is things happen in local communities and residents are not always told or consulted with, especially in Dun Laoghaire where the Port Authority seems to do what it wants without any consultation/agreement with the local residents. Look at the piers for example, they used to be packed with joggers, walkers and fishermen, who would bring something to the local economy. However, the authorities decided to put in a minimum one hour charge on parking meters and hey presto, nobody comes here anymore. Who is allowed to make these unbelievably poor decisions?

Dun Laoghaire is not at its best at the moment with 'To Let' and 'For Sale' signs peppering every second business premises. However, a lot of money is being pumped into trying to improve things as you will all notice on the seafront, an effort is being made.

Changes have to be made and that includes tackling social issues. The nightclubs that caused so much trouble are gone, and that's a good thing. The Purty Kitchen has re-opened and is back to it's former self, and Wetherspoons have bought the 40ft bar which has been closed for a year, all positive moves. But having methadone heads wandering around the street causing public disruption, making a nuisance of themselves and, at worst, become aggressive to locals, is never going to allow this town to truly recover.

As mentioned, Baker's Corner (no offence to people who live there), due to it's location, affords methadone addicts no opportunity or location to make themselves a social issue. They'll get their medicine and then have nothing else to do but go home. The plans are in place to make the switch and strongly backed by the Gardai who, after all, are the ones who have to deal with the social issues the location of the clinic presents.

This leads to my own personal view on the matter, which is that if methadone addicts are given a prime location, such as Dun Laoghaire, it to my mind almost rolls out the welcome mat that what they're doing is OK and welcomed by the community. They are addicts and they can't have their condition re-enforced as being OK, it's not.

If Dun Laoghaire changed it's tack and the centre became a rehabilitation and drug programmes unit for those who want to come off drugs, then yes, I'm all for it, as it's giving something to those in need. But just handing out a lethal drug and then letting them wander off into town off their heads to do whatever they want, is that OK? I know the some will argue that pubs do exactly the same thing, and maybe their right.

Anyway, as I said, i'm new on here so go easy on me!

The Reverend.

As mentioned, Baker's Corner (no offence to people who live there), due to it's location, affords methadone addicts no opportunity or location to make themselves a social issue. They'll get their medicine and then have nothing else to do but go home. The plans are in place to make the switch and strongly backed by the Gardai who, after all, are the ones who have to deal with the social issues the location of the clinic presents.

This leads to my own personal view on the matter, which is that if methadone addicts are given a prime location, such as Dun Laoghaire, it to my mind almost rolls out the welcome mat that what they're doing is OK and welcomed by the community. They are addicts and they can't have their condition re-enforced as being OK, it's not.

Welcome to boards Reverend but I'm afraid until I see proof in the way of planning permission applications or whatever I will not believe this to be more than a rumour (maybe started by a local Garda - or maybe a local Garda read in on here!).

I have emails from all of the DL councillors saying they know nothing of this plan as well as from a couple from Deansgrange.
    I also have an email from the operations officer of the HSE stating that there was (as of Sept last) no plan to move to the site at Baker's Corner.

I'm not a fan of the 'methadone heads' down in DL town but I certainly don't want to see their zombie march as I collect my kids from school.

Anyway Reverend until I see proof otherwise I'm afraid I'm a non-believer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

New here and despite being a resident in DL for so long, poorly informed. How would a local Gard know more than CoCo planners or councillors?

The Stena ferry will return this summer. It's moved to a seasonal service for the last number of years. It's nothing to do with the Harbour Authority, it's a commercial decision by Stena. The ship design is old and uneconomic. The DL ship is their last HSS of that class to be retired, the others are long gone. Stena also own the docking arrangement within the harbour. Ferries have moved on considerably in design and requirement. DL is no longer physically able to handle their increased size, nor the traffic that roles off them upon arrival.
    My point is things happen in local communities and residents are not always told or consulted with, especially in Dun Laoghaire where the Port Authority seems to do what it wants without any consultation/agreement with the local residents.

I'm sorry, but DL residents are the most negative and anti development locals in Ireland. They object, crib, moan and complain about everything. Serial objectors put the most basic changes and development in doubt. They will never be happy. The fact that commercial decisions by private companies should have to be run past them in a large urban setting says it all...

By the way lads, for any of you living in Dun Laoghaire, you'll know that there is a half-way house for the homeless beside Crawford's garage.

When I asked the local planning office and Andrews, who was the local TD at the time, they all claimed it was just 'just speculation' and it would be a long, long time for any decision to be made on the matter.

Building began 7 weeks later and, all these years later, the drunks are still hanging around the streets every night causing a nuisance to the locals.

So to all of you with the fast, uniformed answers, coupled with the naivety to think that you're privy to what's going on behind the scenes, think again, the local authorities do as they chose, when they chose and they don't deem it necessary to keep anyone informed as to what they are up to.

The Reverend.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    New here and despite being a resident in DL for so long, poorly informed. How would a local Gard know more than CoCo planners or councillors?

The Stena ferry will return this summer. It's moved to a seasonal service for the last number of years. It's nothing to do with the Harbour Authority, it's a commercial decision by Stena. The ship design is old and uneconomic. The DL ship is their last HSS of that class to be retired, the others are long gone. Stena also own the docking arrangement within the harbour. Ferries have moved on considerably in design and requirement. DL is no longer physically able to handle their increased size, nor the traffic that roles off them upon arrival.

I'm sorry, but DL residents are the most negative and anti development locals in Ireland. They object, crib, moan and complain about everything. Serial objectors put the most basic changes and development in doubt. They will never be happy. The fact that commercial decisions by private companies should have to be run past them in a large urban setting says it all...

Fair points, so let me address a few of them.

I'm not saying that the Gardai know more, the planners or the councillors may simply not be saying anything yet to stop us 'moaning and cribbing locals'. I know this Garda well, he wouldn't feed me any nonsense, it's simply what they've been told in the station.

The Stena will not return this summer, it's retired and they're going to lease it back to an outfit in Panama, which is what they did a couple of years back. It was meant to run it's usual 12 days of Christmas this year, something I was relying on, but I was told, by Stena staff in both Dublin and Holyhead, that the route is now closed. I would love to see it coming back, even for the summer, but it's not going to happen. That chapter is closed.

The HSS was too expensive to run (special fuel that was too expensive), and since they changed the sailing time (used to be 11.15am then changed to 1.15pm) it now misses the London train by 10 minutes, and is too late for the northwest premiership game supporters. As a result, it's passengers numbers have fallen to virtually a handful. Also, because of the sailing times, it was no longer attractive to the haulage industry who need early starts.

This is not my opinion, this is a fact, and nothing you can't find out for yourself. i've done my research on it because I have business in Chester and having to take the north wall ferry just makes for 5am starts to the day.

Regarding your last comment, I disagree. There is more building, growth and expansion going on in Dun Laoghaire than virtually any other region in Dublin, this is testified to by the new apartment blocks being built, re-furbishment of derelict buildings and a cosmetic expansion of the town in general. I don't hear the moaning and cribbing you're complaining about, and as I said, i've lived here for 20 years, maybe I'm just keeping the company of positive and upbeat locals.

Dun Laoghaire is ranked amongst one of the most desirable places to live in Dublin, with the property prices here increasing faster than any other region in the country (Irish Times, November, 2013) and if you were to take a walk around the town you will see that all there are three apartment complexes being built, and that empty business properties are being snapped up by business men who know what direction this town is going.

Let's have a reply where there isn't the tedious name calling 'moaners, cribbers' etc because that on all the dull blog sites, it gets old fast, and in my line of work, you often find that the people accusing others of being moaners and cribbers, are usually those very people themselves.

For the record, where did you get this snippet that Dun Laoghaire residents 'are the most negative and anti development locals in Ireland'. Is this fact published somewhere, or is it just your opinion?

Even if this were true, and we all know it isn't, it might be because they care about the town they live in because it's one of the most beautiful places in Dublin to live.

With respect,

The Reverand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Reverend,

I know this is off the topic of Methadone clinics (apologies Mods) but you have been misinformed by somebody about the situation with the HSS in Dun Laoghaire. HSS ran for it's 12 days over Christmas (well, 10 of them at least - weather got in the way of the others!) and will return on April 9th until September 9th as well as the 12 days of Christmas 2014. As of now, the plan is to do the same for 2015 too (the contract with the Harbour is being extended until then at least).

You're right about the economic issues surrounding it but it provides valuable extra car/tourist capacity (and market share) to Stena during the high season. A number of the Christmas sailings were totally booked out and summer bookings in 2013 were healthy too thankfully. For the summer, what would be ideal would be a morning and an evening sailing giving people the opportunity to spend time (and more importantly money) in Dun Laoghaire for the day. Joined up thinking would suggest that this could be encouraged by giving Stena a discount on the berthing fees if they agree to extra sailings at weekends in peak season. You never know! People are trying.

Anyway, sorry again mods - back to the Bakers Corner saga.

Advertisement