Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Junkies

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭The Truth Man

You think these social problems didn't exist before Boyd Barrett was elected?

Sure and in the good old days, there was none of this alcoholism or domestic violence. Sure wasn't it all pushed behind closed doors where "right thinking" individuals could pretend it didn't exist because they didn't have to look at it?

Much better altogether.

Once again with the old days lark. Boyd Barrett and his ignorant comrade followers may not have have caused this issue, but those like him enable it and I can say for certain will not fix the issue or attempt to do so. But hey as long as Boyd Barrett organises protests against Donald Trump and continues to "stick it to the man" he must be the answer to everyones problems.

When you see that him and his ilk run Dublin City Council, it's not really a surprise how much of a dump the City has become.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

jsa112 wrote: »
    How bout we concentrate on stopping people pissing in public, shooting up, being wasted, leaving syringes and beer cans on public streets, then get those littering?

Name and shaming harbour street police on social media will help eventually. seriously what do they do. any luck on a number yet?

On such a lovely day as today, the said gathering on the pier was full on with at least 10 - 15 in attendance. There was carnage all round in terms of cans, bottles, litter etc. It really is sickening to see.

The Harbour Police out & about number is: 083 144 3412.

It would be great if people started to ring this number and ask them to do something about it. I can't do it alone. Nothing has changed since I rang them at the beginning of the summer with several follow ups to them and the police in Dun Laoghaire.

I carefully rinse out each item I put in my recycle bin. This tolerated behaviour pisses all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Once again with the old days lark. Boyd Barrett and his ignorant comrade followers may not have have caused this issue, but those like him enable it and I can say for certain will not fix the issue or attempt to do so. But hey as long as Boyd Barrett organises protests against Donald Trump and continues to "stick it to the man" he must be the answer to everyones problems.

When you see that him and his ilk run Dublin City Council, it's not really a surprise how much of a dump the City has become.

Your posts are directly stating that things have "declined" i.e. they were better in the past. They weren't. But since you've no interest in hearing anything other than what's going on in your own head, there's little point in repeating myself.

Over the last week or so some teenies were runnin and jumping into the pier naked. A bit of skinny dipping for a laugh.

Apparently the police were quick enough to put a stop to this.

Meanwhile the 15 plus daily littering, drinking, pissing, spitting, drug-dealing & using 'gathering' continues openly undeterred.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,662 ✭✭✭✭josip

Chinasea wrote: »
    ... jumping into the pier naked...

That's gotta hurt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

Over the last week or so some teenies were runnin and jumping into the pier naked. A bit of skinny dipping for a laugh.

Apparently the police were quick enough to put a stop to this.

Meanwhile the 15 plus daily littering, drinking, pissing, spitting, drug-dealing & using 'gathering' continues openly undeterred.

I have lived in Dun Laoghaire and the surrounding area on and off all my life and I can honestly say it is the safest area you could ask to live in. I'm sorry you have such a superiority complex you have to make a big deal over a few people standing around being a slight nuisance.

tomofson wrote: »
    I have lived in Dun Laoghaire and the surrounding area on and off all my life and I can honestly say it is the safest area you could ask to live in. I'm sorry you have such a superiority complex you have to make a big deal over a few people standing around being a slight nuisance.

Oh here we go! The usual misguided, uninformed, denial. If you are going to make a stance, make it for something useful.

Clue: If the harbour police said he was "afraid" to go in and do something, than sure they must be just as you allude; a harmless charming gathering, spitting, pooping, littering on a MASSIVE scale, drug-dealing & taking openly on a daily basis.

Harmless they ain't.

Sure just turn the other cheek conveniently. Go after some real badies like a few cyclists, motorists and teenagers diving occasionally off the pier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Used to know a priest who was posted to Dun Laoghaire; very sound guy. He had been the only person able to go into Keogh Square and get stolen handbags back (without the money but with the family photos, etc) when he was working there.

He told me - this would have been, ohh, 1980s, I suppose - that there was a big problem of kids having stoner parties on boats in the harbour, and they'd started sleeping on the boats. I thought "Ah sure the young will be the young, huh?" but he said these kids were heading for real trouble, nasty people exploiting them; they were getting onto harder and more dangerous drugs cut with God knows what.

I was astonished, remembering Dun Laoghaire as the place where Irish civil servants who'd worked in India and Malaya had retired in the 1900s and their descendants still lived a kind of post-Empire life in spacious bungalows.

The town seems to have lost all cohesiveness, or perhaps didn't have it; are there no residents' associations who would get together with the council and the Gardaí and make a plan to solve this, not only for the sake of the non-stoner townspeople, but for the sake of the druggies, who could have a decent life if people held out a hand to help?

Early posters on this gave out about the Lexicon library, by the way. I hated it on sight, but God, it's beautiful inside, a fabulous workspace and reading space and space for children, with its views out over Dublin Bay from five storeys of wide windows.

Oh here we go! The usual misguided, uninformed, denial. If you are going to make a stance, make it for something useful.

Clue: If the harbour police said he was "afraid" to go in and do something, than sure they must be just as you allude; a harmless charming gathering, spitting, pooping, littering on a MASSIVE scale, drug-dealing & taking openly on a daily basis.

Harmless they ain't.

Sure just turn the other cheek conveniently. Go after some real badies like a few cyclists, motorists and teenagers diving occasionally off the pier.

Well in all of my years in Dun Laoghaire I have never had the slightest of bothers, it is easily the best part of Dublin to live in, those problems with drug addiction and petty crime exist worldwide. Get over it its a societal issue that issues throughout the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Awaaf

DL since the coming of the railway has always encompassed wealth and poverty. The courts (I think was the phrase) and the victorian terraces - cheek by jowl since the mid 1800's. I remember serious poverty and disfunction side by side with significant wealth in my primary school class (1970s). No wealthy street in the Borough is more than 500 metres from a street at the opposite end of the spectrum. DL is a fantastic place with a hard underbelly. Individually the drunks/addicts are more or less harmless in my opinion. Mostly gentle souls - too gentle maybe. It was the same when I lived in the inner city. In groups they can be more of a pain in the hole. There was one character near where I live who tidied up his cans into a nicely tied up plastic bag. If he didn't stub out all his cigarette butts in the cans I could put them in my green bin. Mind you I haven't seen his bags in a while - maybe he has shuffled off. Many of the women of the DL streets with the puffy drink bloated faces are no longer seen by me - maybe they have shuffled also. They are people - maybe sad people - and in groups annoying people but they are of DL - DL people - as much as anyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

FWIW two big polish guys, off their heads on something, really aggressively asking me for 5 euros when I was going for a piss in the toilets in the dun laoghaire shopping centre that has a tescos. not a security guard in sight, they were then in tescos alcohol section shouting their heads off at like 1:30pm. another area to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,320 ✭✭✭✭ted1

jsa112 wrote: »
    FWIW two big polish guys, off their heads on something, really aggressively asking me for 5 euros when I was going for a piss in the toilets in the dun laoghaire shopping centre that has a tescos. not a security guard in sight, they were then in tescos alcohol section shouting their heads off at like 1:30pm. another area to avoid.

Tesco is in Bloomfields not Dun Laoighre shopping centre

Well in all of my years in Dun Laoghaire I have never had the slightest of bothers, it is easily the best part of Dublin to live in, those problems with drug addiction and petty crime exist worldwide. Get over it its a societal issue that issues throughout the world.

We've all lived in Dun Laoghaire for donkeys but you are totally missing the point. If I haven't lived somewhere for a deemed amount of time, it doesn't mean l respect it less, more nor am a victim of crime.

I find it truly offensive and threatening to encounter a swarm of spitting, pissing, pooping, littering on a humongous scale, hard & soft drug taking, injecting, shouting, etc, in an open public beauty spot.

Have you seen the state of the place after they go home for tea? Perhaps inform yourself.

Part of this thread was asking as to what the CEO of the Harbour Police are being paid large salaries (CEO) for, when the behaviour I report takes place openly daily on their watch and they do eff all about it.

I rinse out and recycle each and every tin, bottle etc that I use. I do it because I care and I am gawddamn grateful for my environment. I do it because I share my environment with others and for the future generation.

To see these people pissin all over this sickens me. Good for you if it doesn't bother you. I on the other-hand would like to see it stop. All they need to do is clean up after themselves. Hardly too much to ask?

We've all lived in Dun Laoghaire for donkeys but you are totally missing the point. If I haven't lived somewhere for a deemed amount of time, it doesn't mean l respect it less, more nor am a victim of crime.

I find it truly offensive and threatening to encounter a swarm of spitting, pissing, pooping, littering on a humongous scale, hard & soft drug taking, injecting, shouting, etc, in an open public beauty spot.

Have you seen the state of the place after they go home for tea? Perhaps inform yourself.

Part of this thread was asking as to what the CEO of the Harbour Police are being paid large salaries (CEO) for, when the behaviour I report takes place openly daily on their watch and they do eff all about it.

I rinse out and recycle each and every tin, bottle etc that I use. I do it because I care and I am gawddamn grateful for my environment. I do it because I share my environment with others and for the future generation.

To see these people pissin all over this sickens me. Good for you if it doesn't bother you. I on the other-hand would like to see it stop. All they need to do is clean up after themselves. Hardly too much to ask?

Your exaggerating kid, i have a "swarm"? Cut the hyperbole were not being invaded. "These people"? I know full well what your saying you are disgusted by the "underclass" so therefore want a final solution for all those unfortunate enough to be born with less than you, that is more or less what your getting at.

Your exaggerating kid, i have a "swarm"? Cut the hyperbole were not being invaded. "These people"? I know full well what your saying you are disgusted by the "underclass" so therefore want a final solution for all those unfortunate enough to be born with less than you, that is more or less what your getting at.

Whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

last night the pissheads down by the baths had a small child (in primary school uniform) with them. Awful to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

^
    Jaysis. Now that IS a matter for the real cops and / or social services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

How long was the kid there? Maybe the mammy/daddy just stopped briefly for a chat with friends?

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

I rang the cops and they said they'd send someone down. I had my own kids with me so didn't hang about too long.

Advertisement