Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where will we finish ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

slegs wrote: »
    Our run in is easier than Liverpool's. They keep going on about how they have all the big guns at home instead of away but of all the top 6 besides us we have played the most top 6 games i.e. they are done and out of the way ....after the Liverpool game we will have played all the top 6 twice..

Liverpool have to play Chelsea and Man City in April

To me this is key in the run in...

I dont necessarily agree with the easier run in. I was on Skype with my dad last night and we were talking about this very thing. We play Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool while they play the two Manchester clubs, Chelsea and us.

They have one more of the top 6 to play than us. But when you look at our remaining games almost all the teams we play should be fighting relegation in some form. Those games will be as tough as every other year against relegation battling teams.

I don't think we have it easier than Liverpool and also don't think they have it easier. I actually think that it's a fair run in so whoever does get top 4 in the end fully deserves it.

@TalkingTHFC: Kaboul - "You always have to see the best, we are going to play in the Champions League next season, without doubt."

Oh well... That's us doomed. Cheers Kaboul.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Kiss of death right there, another year of EL beckons monsieur Kaboul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

I really have no idea where we will finish now. If we were offered "gaining momentum and 7 points off the top in mid feb" at the start of the season then we all would have accepted that with delight.

we might collapse, we may not but all i know is that we are looking better and better

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Delighted to see belief from Kaboul. I'd rather see belief than a defeatist attitude to it any day. COYS

• Advertisement

Delighted to see belief from Kaboul. I'd rather see belief than a defeatist attitude to it any day. COYS

Normally when a spurs player gets positive infront of the media and says we can get CL soon after results in a nice crash and burn....

We all know they want to win etc. I'd just like then to be quiet about it for once. We've been completely written off by most media outlets and pundits and would prefer for it to be seen that way for as long as possible.

Just seen a Liverpool fan post 'Spurs are 7pts off top? Where did that come from?!' It's nice to be seen like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

irishmover wrote: »
    Normally when a spurs player gets positive infront of the media and says we can get CL soon after results in a nice crash and burn....

We all know they want to win etc. I'd just like then to be quiet about it for once. We've been completely written off by most media outlets and pundits and would prefer for it to be seen that way for as long as possible.

Just seen a Liverpool fan post 'Spurs are 7pts off top? Where did that come from?!' It's nice to be seen like that.

Completely agree.

Quiet belief, steely determination. That should be the mantra. Put it in latin on the crest above Audere est Facere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

That's the thing that's been bothering me. On MOTD the other night they showed the Liverpool win and discussed how they are 'real' title challengers. In the next breath they started the clip for the Spurs/Newcastle game and said "Spurs go to Newcastle in their quest for 4th place" - WE'RE THREE FOOKING POINTS OFF LIVERPOOL!!

Anyway, it also made me chuckle when Arsenal drew with United and they discounted Arsenal's title challenge, yet Liverpool are title contenders three points behind them! :D

I'm not saying we're title challengers, I've already posted my realistic target. I just think if people are including Liverpool, why not Spurs?

That's the thing that's been bothering me. On MOTD the other night they showed the Liverpool win and discussed how they are 'real' title challengers. In the next breath they started the clip for the Spurs/Newcastle game and said "Spurs go to Newcastle in their quest for 4th place" - WE'RE THREE FOOKING POINTS OFF LIVERPOOL!!

Anyway, it also made me chuckle when Arsenal drew with United and they discounted Arsenal's title challenge, yet Liverpool are title contenders three points behind them! :D

I'm not saying we're title challengers, I've already posted my realistic target. I just think if people are including Liverpool, why not Spurs?

I might get a clip round the ear for saying this but from a media point of view this season Liverpool are the new Spurs.

If you like stats

Some "super computer" says TS is right that we can "lose 4 or 5 of our remaining games and still finish 4th" - in fact, there's a 3.5% chance of it happening.

http://talksport.com/football/super-computer-says-tim-sherwood-right-spurs-can-lose-four-games-and-reach-champions-league

The above article was written BEFORE the Newcastle game, which the super computer predicted we'd lose. The stats obviously did not take injuries/suspensions in to account. :)

Since then, the "super computer" has predicted how the league will look come the end of the season.... we have a 21.7%

http://talksport.com/football/super-computer-reveals-how-premier-league-table-will-look-may-14021379673?

Stats can paint a picture, but often times the detail is quite blurred....

• Advertisement

Some "super computer" says TS is right that we can "lose 4 or 5 of our remaining games and still finish 4th" - in fact, there's a 3.5% chance of it happening.

Tim Sherwood was just spotted outside WHL after reading Boards.ie....

a-chance.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

I dont necessarily agree with the easier run in. I was on Skype with my dad last night and we were talking about this very thing. We play Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool while they play the two Manchester clubs, Chelsea and us.

They have one more of the top 6 to play than us. But when you look at our remaining games almost all the teams we play should be fighting relegation in some form. Those games will be as tough as every other year against relegation battling teams.

I don't think we have it easier than Liverpool and also don't think they have it easier. I actually think that it's a fair run in so whoever does get top 4 in the end fully deserves it.

I wasn't really talking about the next 12 games and who has the easier 12. My point was that after we play Liverpool in March we are done playing the big 6 but they still have to play Man City and Chelsea.

If (and its a very big if) we are within a 3 points of them at that stage then I think we are in a very good position. I cant see them taking many points from those games at that stage of the season with Man City and Chelsea likely the 2 favorites for the title. I dont care if its Anfield or not those are the key games.

Overall Liverpool are still favorites strongly to get 4th but April will be key if we are still hanging in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Some are taking note, I'd prefer if we stayed under the radar for a little longer now we are finding a little bit of form and have Ade knocking them in.

Pellegrini believes Tottenham are one of six teams fighting for this years Premier League title. "People speak about us, Chelsea, Arsenal but Liverpool can fight for it, Tottenham will continue to fight and Everton."

https://mobile.twitter.com/HotspurRelated/status/434327395446042624
    https://mobile.twitter.com/HotspurRelated/status/434327695280062464

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

slegs wrote: »
    I wasn't really talking about the next 12 games and who has the easier 12. My point was that after we play Liverpool in March we are done playing the big 6 but they still have to play Man City and Chelsea.

If (and its a very big if) we are within a 3 points of them at that stage then I think we are in a very good position. I cant see them taking many points from those games at that stage of the season with Man City and Chelsea likely the 2 favorites for the title. I dont care if its Anfield or not those are the key games.

Overall Liverpool are still favorites strongly to get 4th but April will be key if we are still hanging in there.

Thing about it is that it can be useful to play your rivals late in the season cos it makes a 6 point swing possible.

There is also the problem of playing teams fighting for survival, treating every match like a cup final.

Then again they're fighting for survival cos they're some of the worst teams in the Premiership.

Lotta variables.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,698 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

If you like stats

http://talksport.com/football/super-computer-says-tim-sherwood-right-spurs-can-lose-four-games-and-reach-champions-league

The above article was written BEFORE the Newcastle game, which the super computer predicted we'd lose. The stats obviously did not take injuries/suspensions in to account. :)

Since then, the "super computer" has predicted how the league will look come the end of the season.... we have a 21.7%

http://talksport.com/football/super-computer-reveals-how-premier-league-table-will-look-may-14021379673?

Stats can paint a picture, but often times the detail is quite blurred....

Everytime I read your reference to "super computer" , I couldnt help but imagine the scene in Austin Powers where Doctor Evel is explaining the concept of "laser beams"

quote.jpg

Just looking at the table and fixtures there. After this weekend City don't have a game for three weeks. We could over-take them with a couple of wins. I know they'll have games in hand, but they'll have serious fixture congestion too.

Also, once they're out of the Champions League, they'll be getting Aguero back and will only have the league to focus on. It's around this time that they're playing our Top 4 competitors (Arsenal/Liverpool). Ideally City get themselves up for those two games but drop points against weaker teams due to the fixture congestion. It could all work out perfectly for us.... I'm not talking about winning the title, but I'm saying we could nestle ourselves comfortably in the Top 4.

Also, if Chelsea and Everton draw, plus City, Arsenal and Liverpool win (as expected), the top four would look like this...

Arsenal 59
    Chelsea 58
    City 57
    L'Pool 56

Tightest Premier League in a long long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

At least we have blown it nice and early this time, no last day heartache to deal with. Where do we go from here? We will struggle to hold onto Vert and Hugo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

I think we need a cunning plan Baldrick?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

to be honest chaps Id get more of a kick out of us winning the europa than being cannon fodder in the CL for the next 5 years... It should be about leaping around with my mates as we win trophies rather than struggling to scrape into the top four before being subjected to a shote transfer window of penny pinching by levy and his cronies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

to be honest chaps Id get more of a kick out of us winning the europa than being cannon fodder in the CL for the next 5 years... It should be about leaping around with my mates as we win trophies rather than struggling to scrape into the top four before being subjected to a shote transfer window of penny pinching by levy and his cronies.

Going all out for Europa should be the aim now, lets end this train crash of a season with a trophy.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭SuprSi

The end of season review will be interesting. You always get the signing and flops of the season and of the 7 players we brought in I can see 3 of them appearing in the flops list for the whole league - Soldado, Lamela and Chadli.

Soldado is showing great touches and interplay but he loses everything in front of goal. Chadli just isn't a left winger and he should not be played out there. As for Lamela, what an absolute disaster. Not strong enough and not ready for the league. He may improve next season but he has missed almost the entirety of this one, so won't be any more physically ready. That's £30m we'll be very unlikely to see any return on.

We still have a chance of finishing in the top 4, though it'll be very tough and we're relying on Liverpool making a balls of it. They're all over the place, but they're winning the important matches. The Europa League, for whatever reason, destroys Spurs league chances and unfortunately even if we get knocked out this Thursday, we are likely to lose on Sunday meaning our slim chances of top 4 will be completely gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

SuprSi wrote: »
    The end of season review will be interesting. You always get the signing and flops of the season and of the 7 players we brought in I can see 3 of them appearing in the flops list for the whole league - Soldado, Lamela and Chadli.

Soldado is showing great touches and interplay but he loses everything in front of goal. Chadli just isn't a left winger and he should not be played out there. As for Lamela, what an absolute disaster. Not strong enough and not ready for the league. He may improve next season but he has missed almost the entirety of this one, so won't be any more physically ready. That's £30m we'll be very unlikely to see any return on.

We still have a chance of finishing in the top 4, though it'll be very tough and we're relying on Liverpool making a balls of it. They're all over the place, but they're winning the important matches. The Europa League, for whatever reason, destroys Spurs league chances and unfortunately even if we get knocked out this Thursday, we are likely to lose on Sunday meaning our slim chances of top 4 will be completely gone.

Id agree with all of that except Lamela, I think its a bit early to label him a bust considering the injury problems he has had. Maybe that is just wishful thinking on my behalf because i don't want to believe we spent almost 60 million on two dud strikers.

We now play 7 games in March.

Cardiff(H)
    Chelsea(A)
    Benfica(H)
    Arsenal(H)
    Benfica(A)
    Southampton(H)
    Liverpool(A)

I suppose we can rule out the league for certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Starting with a guaranteed 1 - 1 draw on Sunday against Cardiff. You just know it's going to happen after tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

SuprSi wrote: »
    Starting with a guaranteed 1 - 1 draw on Sunday against Cardiff. You just know it's going to happen after tonight!

It should spur them on if anything, back to winning ways. No traveling involved, they should all be buzzing this morning.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I see us winning this weekend. Last nights result should give us a boost of confidence, and spur on a good performance.

****ing better not lose though...

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

We should be hammering Cardiff. They look in disarray since solksjaer took over

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

We should be hammering Cardiff. They look in disarray since solksjaer took over

Hmmmmm....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Johnathon Walters for President!!

Advertisement