Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Sami Jenkis

robopaddy wrote: »
    weldone to Antrim u21s and their manager Kevin 'skin' Ryan. What a job he has done with them. Shame to think his own county board dont see him as good enough to manage his own county

Great victory. To think that Antrim were +15 in the handicap before the game. Kevin Ryan deserves a lot of credit for the work he's put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Developement Squad Results

U14
    Waterford 1-9 Kilkenny 0-10
    U15
    Waterford 4-9 Kilkenny 4-7
    U16
    Waterford 2-11 Kilkenny 2-19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

3ships wrote: »

U14
    U15
    U16

Futures bright. Gone are the days when wed have been hockeyed in all 3 games

So Lismore out of the championship despite a 24 point victory tonight! Big surprise they didn't make the top 4 in their group. As said previous, DLS were a lot of players short, so it left the door open for Tallow who creep into 4th place in the group. so final standings are..
    1. DLS 8pts
    2. Fourmile 8pts
    3. Bduff 5pts
    4. Tallow 5pts
    5. Lismore 4pts
    6. Ring 0pts

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

U14
    U15
    U16

At the Pilltown show today an anouncement over the tannoy said, Best of luck to our neighbours Waterford in the minor final bring the cup back to the suirside. Thought that was a very nice jesture along with about a thousand other Waterford people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

So Lismore out of the championship despite a 24 point victory tonight! Big surprise they didn't make the top 4 in their group. As said previous, DLS were a lot of players short, so it left the door open for Tallow who creep into 4th place in the group. so final standings are..
    1. DLS 8pts
    2. Fourmile 8pts
    3. Bduff 5pts
    4. Tallow 5pts
    5. Lismore 4pts
    6. Ring 0pts
    Waterford badly needs new county champions. I will leave it at that.

culbaire wrote: »
    Waterford badly needs new county champions. I will leave it at that.

Out of curiosity, care to expand on that???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

weldone to Antrim u21s and their manager Kevin 'skin' Ryan. What a job he has done with them. Shame to think his own county board dont see him as good enough to manage his own county
    I mentioned him last wk here.i didnt c the game,but heard antrim were unbelievable,shades of 89 against offaly.

I believe,from what i read today,ryan only took over them three wks ago ,as wanted the u21,job at the start of the year,but was refused,but said enough was enough and tk them over.

He only had twelve in training.He said no way,.could they win.He was better than he thought himself.
    Yere like cork,we wont give the right men the jobs,and are own worst enemy at county board level.
    That guy said,he was done out of the job years ago,and wdnt go back now.
    The county board should be ashamed of themselves.

I mentioned him last wk here.i didnt c the game,but heard antrim were unbelievable,shades of 89 against offaly.

I believe,from what i read today,ryan only took over them three wks ago ,as wanted the u21,job at the start of the year,but was refused,but said enough was enough and tk them over.

He only had twelve in training.He said no way,.could they win.He was better than he thought himself.
    Yere like cork,we wont give the right men the jobs,and are own worst enemy at county board level.
    That guy said,he was done out of the job years ago,and wdnt go back now.
    The county board should be ashamed of themselves.

Waterfords loss has certainly been Antrims gain when you compare how both u21 teams performed this year. He was quite emotional after the game you could see it meant a lot to him. A genuine hurling man nice to see there is some reward there for his years of hard work in lower ranked counties

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

U14
    U15
    U16

Roll on the tony forristal next weekend always enjoyed going to the tournament be great if the A and B teams played at same venue they'd have some support then but understand completely why they can't,best of luck to both teams

• Advertisement

I hear theres a 'meet and greet' type press conference on Monday night with Waterford minors. Anyone know anything about this? I hope not think it is totally unecessary distraction for the lads and dont really see the benefit of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

I hear theres a 'meet and greet' type press conference on Monday night with Waterford minors. Anyone know anything about this? I hope not think it is totally unecessary distraction for the lads and dont really see the benefit of it

At the start of the year I would have agreed with you. However the minors have had such great support from the stands this year and I thought it was particularly great to hear young kids say 8 or 9 years of age cheering on players by name. Real feel good factor and it's great that kids that age have guys they can aspire to because they are the future. I suspect this might have something to do with it.

Really looking forward to Dungarvan Abbeyside in the Fraher tonight, making the trip back for it. Slightly conflicted in terms of who to support so I think Dungarvan and Passage both winning would probably be the best outcome for myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭noiniho

@LismoreGAA: Well,well,well Tallow beat De La Salle who would have seen that one coming,oh wait everyone in the county'

Lismore got themselves in a position in the group that meant a win against the weakest team in the group was still not going to be enough, so how can they blame DLS? Very disrespectful to Tallow who went out and got something out of games against ballyduff upper and DLS.

If Lismore were missing the two shanahans, Dave Bennett, Paudie Pendergast, ray Barry then Ring may have beaten them as well. That is the position DLS were in.
    If they had anything about them they would have wished tallow and DLS the best of luck in the rest of the championship and save their accusations for there own players who got them knocked out of the championship long before yesterday.

noiniho wrote: »
    @LismoreGAA: Well,well,well Tallow beat De La Salle who would have seen that one coming,oh wait everyone in the county'

Lismore got themselves in a position in the group that meant a win against the weakest team in the group was still not going to be enough, so how can they blame DLS? Very disrespectful to Tallow who went out and got something out of games against ballyduff upper and DLS.

If Lismore were missing the two shanahans, Dave Bennett, Paudie Pendergast, ray Barry then Ring may have beaten them as well. That is the position DLS were in.
    If they had anything about them they would have wished tallow and DLS the best of luck in the rest of the championship and save their accusations for there own players who got them knocked out of the championship long before yesterday.
    Tallow must be installed as favourites now to win the county title and the Munster club championship. Tallow is now a super team. You are aware that Tallow was hammered by Lismore. Tallow has seven or eight players ready to step onto the Waterford senior team. lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

Absolutely agree, very poor form from Lismore. That said I do think Lismore are unquestionably a better team than Tallow and it is a shame they are out but like you said they only have themselves to blame for not beating a very ordinary Ballyduff side. Tallow will likely be well beaten in the quarter finals by either Passage or Mount Sion.

Tallow must be installed as favourites now to win the county title and the Munster club championship. Tallow is now a super team. You are aware that Tallow was hammered by Lismore. Tallow has seven or eight players ready to step onto the Waterford senior team. lol

Ridiculous comment. Every team at the start of the group have their own destiny in their hands. Tallow beat Ring, and got a good draw with Ballyduff before it even came down to the last game. I'm far from a De La Salle supporter but they were dead right in what they did not playing Intermediates. You look out for number 1. If Lismore had aspirations to win the county championship, then they should be looking into why they lost 3 championship games!
    And yes, credit has to be given to Tallow. Don't forget they were in a county final 2 years ago! Tomas Ryan, Paul O Brien, Mark O' Brien, The Kearneys, James Murray. If you're telling me these lads aren't experienced, good club hurlers, then you don't know a whole lot about the club championship.

Apparently the county board have said that it's a necessary obligation for all teams involved in the final to participate in. Can understand the GAA making the Senior temas do it, but not the Minors. They should be left concentrate on one thing only, and that's the game.

Ridiculous comment. Every team at the start of the group have their own destiny in their hands. Tallow beat Ring, and got a good draw with Ballyduff before it even came down to the last game. I'm far from a De La Salle supporter but they were dead right in what they did not playing Intermediates. You look out for number 1. If Lismore had aspirations to win the county championship, then they should be looking into why they lost 3 championship games!
    And yes, credit has to be given to Tallow. Don't forget they were in a county final 2 years ago! Tomas Ryan, Paul O Brien, Mark O' Brien, The Kearneys, James Murray. If you're telling me these lads aren't experienced, good club hurlers, then you don't know a whole lot about the club championship.

Lismore could only beat tallow and ring, the two weakest teams of the group. They didn't deserve to go through...
    Any sel respecting Lismore hurling man, of which there are many, would agree, and a few I have spoken to felt the same

Since when are lismore looking for favours from anyone? And they should rethink who has the keys for their twitter account.

Culbaire ridiculous comment here not worth a reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I'd say Tallow are happy enough to be honest, couldn't care less what nonsense Lismore are spouting. It's funny though, somebody already talked about their attitude after the Fourmile match for complaining to referees that they say present after the Minor final and u21 final last year too.

But it's not just the players who would be more entitled to feel aggrieved when they actually play the matches, its whoever runs their twitter as well. This sort of attitude that they have a right to be in the quarters and are automatically better than 2 of the 6 teams in the group is why they lost to Ballyduff, it's how they ended up not topping the group last year, and it's how they lost to Tallow (yes, the very same team they're trying to undermine now!!) two years ago.

Until they sort that attitude out, they will not win a county even if they have some fantastic players.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Culbaire ridiculous comment here not worth a reply

He said lol at the end. I enjoyed reading something light hearted here..

Also not that I agree with the Lismore attitude (has to be a huge reason why theyre not hanging around county finals) but its nice to read something honest and fresh instead of this politically correct crap that often gets churned about. I cant imagine too many are going to take it very serious anyway

• Advertisement

Isnt it about time Lismore started looking at themselves rather than blaming everyone else for the fact that they are the great underachievers of Waterford hurling. They should have won many co. titles over the past 20 years but due their own ill-discipline and constantly freezing on the big occasions they have none. Every year there always seems to be some sort of hard luck story. While I now see an apology has been issued on twitter for the disgraceful post, which is a start, pity there wasn't a similar apology to Michael Wadding after he was hunted down and assaulted like a pack of wild dogs after a co. semi final in the Fraher Field against Ballygunner a few years back, after Lismore had squandered a 9 point lead.
    This kind of sore losing has become all too prominent and its about time some clubs treat their neighbours with a bit more respect as were all the one at the end of the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

deise_girl wrote: »
    He said lol at the end. I enjoyed reading something light hearted here..

Also not that I agree with the Lismore attitude (has to be a huge reason why theyre not hanging around county finals) but its nice to read something honest and fresh instead of this politically correct crap that often gets churned about. I cant imagine too many are going to take it very serious anyway

'Cept the problem with that is they're not being honest with themselves.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Well no but I think what Im trying to say in a fairly crap way is that if thats what they think ive no problem with them saying it. I woulnt think the same if I were in their position but if thats what they choose to believe, so be it

Exactamundo

Isnt it about time Lismore started looking at themselves rather than blaming everyone else for the fact that they are the great underachievers of Waterford hurling. They should have won many co. titles over the past 20 years but due their own ill-discipline and constantly freezing on the big occasions they have none. Every year there always seems to be some sort of hard luck story.
    Lismore has a very small pool of players to select from. It is hemmed in by Ballyduff, Tallow, Ballysaggart, Cappoquin and Tourin. I am not a Lismore person or even a supporter of the club. But I admire the huge effort that goes into the promotion of hurling there. At underage it is linked with Ballysaggart.
    I have listened to SOME city people savagely criticise Lismore. It's as if their own clubs are perfect. There is a condescending attitude to people from West Waterford. Its all very fine for city clubs. They have a huge population base from which to select. Western clubs do not. City clubs can also attract in players from smaller eastern country clubs as well as players from other counties who come to work in Waterford city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

at this stage you would have to say it will more than likely be derek mcgrath.

Im not saying whether or not he would be up to the task, I really dont know but its a shame to see a certain quota of players dictating the co. board and getting their own way but i guess thats just where we are at the minute.

Apart from winning two Munster and All-Ireland Colleges final and winning a County Final with De La Salle last year against an over achieving Dungarvan side, what is his coaching CV like. I know DLS got to a Munster Final but to do so they were somewhat lucky as they had to get a late score against the Clare champions to see them through the semi finals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

If team management are allowing a 'meet and greet' it could be argued that they don't know what they are doing. There should be nothing for this for minors. Leave them train away behind closed doors but no extra events should be planned at this stage. All the focus should be on September 8.

Black Suir wrote: »
    Apart from winning two Munster and All-Ireland Colleges final and winning a County plual with De La Salle last year against an over achieving Dungarvan side, what is his coaching CV like. I know DLS got to a Munster Final but to do so they were somewhat lucky as they had to get a late score against the Clare champions to see them through the semi finals.

Thats pretty much it and the ironic thing is thats pretty much wat skully ryan won with dls seniors aswell... plus a munster club.. the man apparantly not fit for the job in their eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

the gaa in waterford need to do something about betting on championship matches which are run off on a round-robin basis...too many fellas predicting "unusual" results!!!!

• Advertisement

the gaa in waterford need to do something about betting on championship matches which are run off on a round-robin basis...too many fellas predicting "unusual" results!!!!

DLS had nothing to play for, missing all there best players up against a team fighting for tere lives in the championship at 5/2... I have a few bets myself I that is a recipe for throwing a few on Tallow. Why are people making such a big deal out of this?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement