Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

Limerick are appealing the hawk eye error in the minor match to the central competitions committee. I'd say it would be better for us if they dont replay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

alllcounty wrote: »
    Limerick are appealing the hawk eye error in the minor match to the central competitions committee. I'd say it would be better for us if they dont replay it.

Either way its not in our interests for the other team to have an extra game

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

The Ref balanced up the score at full time by giving Limerick a very soft free to bring the game to extra time. They got their chance I would be very surprised if this game goes to a replay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I don't know, Galway might grand them the replay even though its odd how this will play out as the ref didn't call for Hawkeye and the umpire gave the point. But this will be decided by the CCCC and not either County Board, manager or panels' wishes.

I was there yesterday and i thought Limerick had plenty chances to win it regardless of Hawkeye. They hit some awful wides and passes into the forwards at times. They were out on their feet once extra time started and Galway were far fitter. I'ld think that Galway would win again if there was a replay and the match would bring them on further.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Liberty Way

I have got it on good authority tonight that a member of the County Board approached Donal Og Cusack for the Waterford job and he has turned it down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Shouldn't be entertained.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Liberty Way

Limerick deserve a replay and hopefully common sense will prevail and good on the Limerick County board for taking this decision. A lot of work goes into preparing teams and a young minor team playing in Croke Park for the first time would be fazed by the occasion and something like a technology issue which was to eliminate any issues of scores then makes a major blunder over ruling a perfect score would have unsettled them. The matter of the referee siding with Hawk Eye also has to be questioned as it was clear for all and sundry to see that it was a point and the umpire signaled a point so what did the referee see? What instructions was the referee given? Surely he should have used his own discretion and signaled a point as I am assuming he also saw a point scored.

Limerick deserve a replay and hopefully common sense will prevail and good on the Limerick County board for taking this decision. A lot of work goes into preparing teams and a young minor team playing in Croke Park for the first time would be fazed by the occasion and something like a technology issue which was to eliminate any issues of scores then makes a major blunder over ruling a perfect score would have unsettled them. The matter of the referee siding with Hawk Eye also has to be questioned as it was clear for all and sundry to see that it was a point and the umpire signaled a point so what did the referee see? What instructions was the referee given? Surely he should have used his own discretion and signaled a point as I am assuming he also saw a point scored.

They were unaware that decision was incorrect according to their manager until after the game. They had enough of a chance to win it,. They didn't, end of.

Are we all going to look for replays now when a dodgy decision goes against us?

Say the match was played in Thurles, and is waved wide and its clear from tv replays its over the bar and the game pans out like the minor game yesterday. Would that team be awarded a replay? Under no circumstances. It was a bad call but in the end Galway deserved to win that game and it would be grossly unfair to have it replayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

They were unaware that decision was incorrect according to their manager until after the game. They had enough of a chance to win it,. They didn't, end of.

Say the match was played in Thurles, and is waved wide and its clear from tv replays its over the bar and the game pans out like the minor game yesterday. Would that team be awarded a replay? Under no circumstances. It was a bad call but in the end Galway deserved to win that game and it would be grossly unfair to have it replayed.

Agreed. A lot more deserving teams have lost by more than an incorrectly awarded single point. Limerick had their chance, harsh as they may feel that is.

Agreed. A lot more deserving teams have lost by more than an incorrectly awarded single point. Limerick had their chance, harsh as they may feel that is.

Yep that's the long and short of it.

I see that the Limerick asked HQ would there be grounds for appeal before organizing tonights meeting. Obviously they were told they could appeal.

After what happened to Louth in 2010, the CCCC took no responsibility for the error and said Meath would have to offer a replay for one to be played.

All I'll say is if I was a Louth fan I'd be livid tonight.

• Advertisement

Yep that's the long and short of it.

I see that the Limerick asked HQ would there be grounds for appeal before organizing tonights meeting. Obviously they were told they could appeal.

After what happened to Louth in 2010, the CCCC took no responsibility for the error and said Meath would have to offer a replay for one to be played.

All I'll say is if I was a Louth fan I'd be livid tonight.

Throw Kildare in there also. It would be grossly unfair for the CCCC or the GAA to set a precedent now, when those gross injustices went left unaddressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Put it this way. If waterford were in limericks shoes yesterday I wouldn't be happy. Cant blame them for appealling it.

It turns out the error was made by someone from hawk eye who set the camera on Hill 16 end on 'football mode'. Oh dear...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Your right,it was a joke of a call ,but i cant c a replay given now.o donovan rossa of Cork won the 92 club final all ireland beating Eire Og of Carlow in the replay ,when Haydens goal clearly crossed the line.

Eire og of Carlow should have won.They even went to sky sports i think,and proved it was goal but none was given.

Its awful on limerick,but hard to c it overturned.

The bottom line is though that the game finished level after 60 mins and Limerick had a clear point disallowed. Whether they had the chances to win it or not is irrelevant as far as that is concerned. The difference in this scenario is that the GAA dont have to admit any error on their part. Hawk-eye have accepted responsibility so I think the GAA might actually grant the replay this time as their own ass is covered. The previous incidents mentioned while similar were errors by GAA officials and granting a replay would be an admission of a f**k up by them

You can see why Limerick are appealling it too, if a replay is granted the momentum will very much be with them. Imagine how deflated the Galway lads will be having thought they were on their way to the AI final in Croke Park on Sept 8th only to find that they mightened be now. Equally however it is rough on the Limerick lads after the efforts in getting to Croke Park to have something like that let you down on the biggest day of your life.

Look I hope it dosent go to a replay from a Waterford point of view as it wouldnt do us any favours the extra game will bring Galway on if they win and Limerick will be on a high going into the final if they were to come through, but I can definetly see this replay being strongly considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

If we accept the logic of the appeal, i.e. that Limerick should be retrospectively awarded the point, then that means they won the match in normal time. I can't see the GAA allowing the appeal, and I don't think they should.

robopaddy wrote: »
    The difference in this scenario is that the GAA dont have to admit any error on their part. Hawk-eye have accepted responsibility so I think the GAA might actually grant the replay this time as their own ass is covered.

I'm not sure I agree with that at all, as it would presume Hawkeye was the sole arbiter of scores in Croke Park, and that we don't have two umpires at each goal like we have always had.

I'm not sure I agree with that at all, as it would presume Hawkeye was the sole arbiter of scores in Croke Park, and that we don't have two umpires at each goal like we have always had.

Pretty sure the umpires have to single to go upstairs as well. Even though they seemed to indicate it was over.

Plus it turns out it was human error rather than software error that cause the mistake. So basically the same as a mistake by a referee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭deisedude

Leave them play again and tear strips off each other I say! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

In fairness, not one person sitting around me questioned it when "Miss" came up. And these were Limerick fans who questioned absolutely very other decision that went against them in the match! There is a difference between sitting in the comfort of your living room looking at the replay compared to being at the stadium looking at the big screen (e.g. you are a good distance away from the big screen for a start).

In fairness, not one person sitting around me questioned it when "Miss" came up. And these were Limerick fans who questioned absolutely very other decision that went against them in the match! There is a difference between sitting in the comfort of your living room looking at the replay compared to being at the stadium looking at the big screen (e.g. you are a good distance away from the big screen for a start).

The reaction of the crowd indicated they thought it was over, but then when it came up as miss there was a groan, but no booing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

Galway have come out and said they are not agreeing to a replay. I guess that's the end of the matter.

alllcounty wrote: »
    Galway have come out and said they are not agreeing to a replay. I guess that's the end of the matter.

Far from it... Limerick have announced that they will be returning to training as normal tomorrow night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

The reaction of the crowd indicated they thought it was over, but then when it came up as miss there was a groan, but no booing.

yeah, there was a groan. Everyone there seemed to just accept that it was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

Im sure he would drop everything in the morning if his native county came calling. But I think the co. board have pretty much told him in the past that they dont fancy him

Im sure he would drop everything in the morning if his native county came calling. But I think the co. board have pretty much told him in the past that they dont fancy him

Being honest, looking at the candidates I have to say that if Derek McGrath is not interested at this time then really there's not much alternative there. It would well end up a scenario where Michael Ryan is reappointed as bizarre as that sounds. I just don't see who else will take it out of the viable candidates and then the others that are having their name thrown around.

Jason Ryan= Can't see interest on either side
    Peter Queally= Hasn't achieved an awful lot though Passage are going well
    Kevin Ryan= Won't be offered the job
    Jockser= Doubt he'd leave Carrigtwohill for the pressure and unhappiness this job currently holds, got a good deal there
    Fergal= No way
    Sean Power= Even if they win the minor I dont see it

And really after that theres not really many more names. I don't see Cusack in charge next year and not a hope with O'Grady and Sheedy either. Haven;t seen Chuck O'Connors name mentioned much but I wouldn't be in favour of him. Nor Paul Flynn either at this point.

We haven't exactly got an abundance of options.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Given some of the names mentioned, I wonder would Colm Bonnar be useful in some capacity. Former Wexford manager, current WIT manager, living in Fenor.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Given some of the names mentioned, I wonder would Colm Bonnar be useful in some capacity. Former Wexford manager, current WIT manager, living in Fenor.

Yea a candidate as much as any of the above, but noises arent great about him coming from a lot of players that have played under him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Yea a candidate as much as any of the above, but noises arent great about him coming from a lot of players that have played under him.

Same as Ryan so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

hardybuck wrote: »

Colm Bonnar or any of the names on the previous list are not an improvement on Michael Ryan and in alot of case's a step backwards, it makes the attempted ousting of Ryan all the more baffling.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement