Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Team to be announced tomorrow??

• Registered Users Posts: 13 lizzyod

eoin kelly defo one of waterfords best ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

lizzyod wrote: »
    eoin kelly defo one of waterfords best ever

While undoubtedly gifted...always felt for reason or another Waterford didn't get the best of him fir most matches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

While undoubtedly gifted...always felt for reason or another Waterford didn't get the best of him fir most matches

I would agree to an extent but for 7 or 8 he was one of the outstanding players in the game. In his final few years he didnt seem to want to put in the hard graft that comes with the territory of being an older player but I guess desire is not something you can give to a guy.

But I think people tend to forget what an unbelievable player he was for us over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Tough few days for the Fitzgibbon cup lads, game yesterday, league game the weekend then the Fitz quarter finals on Tues/Weds next week. 3 games in a week for some.
    I'm thinking Paudie, Jake, Austin for WIT most likely to be involved in all 3 games. Is Donie Breathnach with UCD? Stephen Bennett might get more game time for UL.

Just trying to think who of our lads will be affected, it might not have been such a bad thing for UCC to be knocked out to keep the likes of Barron, De Burca and Paudie Prendergast some way fresh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Cake Man wrote: »
    Tough few days for the Fitzgibbon cup lads, game yesterday, league game the weekend then the Fitz quarter finals on Tues/Weds next week. 3 games in a week for some.
    I'm thinking Paudie, Jake, Austin for WIT most likely to be involved in all 3 games. Is Donie Breathnach with UCD? Stephen Bennett might get more game time for UL.

Just trying to think who of our lads will be affected, it might not have been such a bad thing for UCC to be knocked out to keep the likes of Barron, De Burca and Paudie Prendergast some way fresh!

re WIT lads, they won yesterday by 40 points hardly taxing on the body

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I would agree to an extent but for 7 or 8 he was one of the outstanding players in the game. In his final few years he didnt seem to want to put in the hard graft that comes with the territory of being an older player but I guess desire is not something you can give to a guy.

But I think people tend to forget what an unbelievable player he was for us over the years.

its easily forgotton...he practically dragged Waterford to the all Ireland in 08....esp through the qualifiers

its easily forgotton...he practically dragged Waterford to the all Ireland in 08....esp through the qualifiers

09 semi against kk aswell he was outstanding. Mullane was well marshalled by Jackie Tyrrell that day so Kelly led the attack pretty much on his own

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

09 semi against kk aswell he was outstanding. Mullane was well marshalled by Jackie Tyrrell that day so Kelly led the attack pretty much on his own

I'll never forget that - one of the best displays I've seen out of any player! And that goal! How it is largely forgotten now I will never know - particularly given that it was scored against the greatest team (let's face it) in history!

fricatus wrote: »
    I'll never forget that - one of the best displays I've seen out of any player! And that goal! How it is largely forgotten now I will never know - particularly given that it was scored against the greatest team (let's face it) in history!

The poxy '65?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 logbox

Heard the Senior Hurling panel has been cut. Who is in or out?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Alf Tupper

logbox wrote: »
    Heard the Senior Hurling panel has been cut. Who is in or out?

I heard Shane Sullivan got cut shaving:)

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭waterfordgirl

Any sign of a team being named for Saturday?

To be named after 9.30pm tomorrow night.

Change from last year when they named the team a week in advance several times.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Morte

fricatus wrote: »
    The poxy '65?

Are you thinking of the volley? That was one of the best pieces of skill I've seen on a pitch. Mullane run into a muddle of defenders and turned around and fired a hand pass to Kelly right next to him. With no time or space to work in Kelly hammered it first time at the goal. It was straight down the keepers throat though and he pulled off a great save.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭coopdog85

Morte wrote: »
    Are you thinking of the volley? That was one of the best pieces of skill I've seen on a pitch. Mullane run into a muddle of defenders and turned around and fired a hand pass to Kelly right next to him. With no time or space to work in Kelly hammered it first time at the goal. It was straight down the keepers throat though and he pulled off a great save.

It wasn't straight down his throat, it was heading for the top corner & somehow PJ Ryan stuck a hurley out & saved it. A ridiculous piece of skill but it showed just how good he was. Kelly did it in the 1/4 final against Galway too only it was for a point, if I remember correctly it was a clear point but the umpires disallowed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Fred C. Dobbs

Bought BT/Setanta Sports for 1 month ; will be able to watch 2 Waterford matches plus some other sport ; bring it on !

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭IanVW

If Barry Coughlan is the answer to full back, then he really has to be able to contain Breen tomorrow who has never really posed a serious threat in that position. We know Conor McGrath has his number, doesn't like smaller pacy players. He has to at least be able to handle big lads like Breen.

Adrian Breen the danger in the corner, would expect Noel to pick him up. Again, we'll know more about our center back this time tomorrow. No doubt Gleeson is the future in the position but he's young yet. The other two half forwards are quality and I hope Philip Mahony is 100% because he'll need to be.

I am worried about the look of midfield. Anyone think Moran is going to drop back? Very inexperienced midfield other wise. Forward line is predictable enough outside of that. McGrath was definitely doing a bit of shadow boxing the last day in Kilmallock not starting Brick though I'm sure they'll know this was coming. Could see Dillon and O Halloran swapping.

Tomorrow is a winnable game, sure Limerick hammered Cork the last day but Cork only retain one player from that game in tomorrow's starting line up v Kilkenny which tells you all you need to know. They are targeting it as well but have more absentees than us. A win tomorrow is a notch on the belt we could do with.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,508 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Good man PTH with the 10 point defeat prediction in the hurling league pools thread, surprised you didn't tip us to be relegated

• Advertisement

If Barry Coughlan is the answer to full back, then he really has to be able to contain Breen tomorrow who has never really posed a serious threat in that position. We know Conor McGrath has his number, doesn't like smaller pacy players. He has to at least be able to handle big lads like Breen.

Adrian Breen the danger in the corner, would expect Noel to pick him up. Again, we'll know more about our center back this time tomorrow. No doubt Gleeson is the future in the position but he's young yet. The other two half forwards are quality and I hope Philip Mahony is 100% because he'll need to be.

I am worried about the look of midfield. Anyone think Moran is going to drop back? Very inexperienced midfield other wise. Forward line is predictable enough outside of that. McGrath was definitely doing a bit of shadow boxing the last day in Kilmallock not starting Brick though I'm sure they'll know this was coming. Could see Dillon and O Halloran swapping.

Tomorrow is a winnable game, sure Limerick hammered Cork the last day but Cork only retain one player from that game in tomorrow's starting line up v Kilkenny which tells you all you need to know. They are targeting it as well but have more absentees than us. A win tomorrow is a notch on the belt we could do with.

What is the story with darragh fives I wonder. Agree on midfield but I think both are a better option than Shane o'Sullivan at this stage. Devine has huge potential. Big physical presence aswell. Not a fan of Moran at wing forward but I actually really like this team. Coughlan is a big call but if he is the man for full back now is the time for him to show it. As re regards being a winnable game yes it is absolutely. Looking at that Limerick team its not as good as people are making it out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Alf Tupper

What is the story with darragh fives I wonder. Agree on midfield but I think both are a better option than Shane o'Sullivan at this stage. Devine has huge potential. Big physical presence aswell. Not a fan of Moran at wing forward but I actually really like this team. Coughlan is a big call but if he is the man for full back now is the time for him to show it. As re regards being a winnable game yes it is absolutely. Looking at that Limerick team its not as good as people are making it out to be.

Dara Fives is injured, definitely needs to be minded for the next few months. He's prone to hamstring injuries and is not getting enough recovery time between training and matches.

I would be worried about Soky and Barry tomorrow night. Not enough control between them under the high ball. Hope I'm wrong.

Hope Moran drops back to centre field and that he can drive us on from there.

Overall though, it's a strong team and think we have a right chance.

Limerick are renowned slow starters in the league and could be there for the taking.

Can't wait for 7pm tomorrow evening.

Deise Abu!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shoddy14

Not a bad team at all.However can't under the persistent playing of Barry Coughlan when he's clearly out of he's out of his depth

shoddy14 wrote: »
    Not a bad team at all.However can't under the persistent playing of Barry Coughlan when he's clearly out of he's out of his depth

I'd be prepared to give him a chance at full back. Especially when were not overly blessed with players in that position. We know Shane Fives can play there but what if he gets injured or whatever. Its only the first game of the league lets give lads a chance and get behind the team instead of knocking them before a ball is even pucked.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

Darragh Fives has been injured for the last year, important to get him back and half back is his best position. Anyone know whether his Injury is related to last years? I'd also prefer Shane Fives at full back.. Think its important to give him the full league campaign to settle him in. If it doesn't work out Bourke should be tried there. I reckon Divine should be half back. It's his best position and I hope this idea that he is a forward is long gone. Moran back mid field and hopefully Maurice can slot in half forward. Anyone know what his fitness status is?

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭waterfordgirl

Tonights game will be shown on Setanta Ireland at 9pm, if thats of any use to people.. a part of me thinks I should avoid social media from 7pm and watch it at 9pm! I don't think I could handle not knowing though!!

Tonights game will be shown on Setanta Ireland at 9pm, if thats of any use to people.. a part of me thinks I should avoid social media from 7pm and watch it at 9pm! I don't think I could handle not knowing though!!

Its live on setanta 1 at 7 too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Do ye think I could find a stream for the game at 9? I can't watch the game at 7

Really great point taking here so far from Waterford

• Advertisement

14 to 1-7 ahead at half time. Good performance and a v good comeback from conceding a pen goal in the first minute

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement