Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

Anyone got the team, subs, scorers from last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Deise189

Waterford Senior Football team to play Offaly today:

1. Stephen Enright Ballinacourty
    2. Dean Crowley St. Saviours
    3. Ray Ó Ceallaigh An Rinn
    4. Thomas O’Gorman (CAPT) Nire
    5. Tadhg Ó hUallacháin An Rinn
    6. Maurice O’Gorman Nire
    7. Conor Phelan Brickey Rangers
    8. Shane Aherne Stradbally
    9. Tommy Prendergast Kilrossanty
    10. Michael Curry Rathgormack
    11. Michael O’Halloran Ballinacourty
    12. Patrick Hurney Ballinacourty
    13. Mark Ferncombe Ballinacourty
    14. Joey Veale Kilrossanty
    15. Gavin Nugent Rathgormack

Hopefully we can get another good win today. Offaly will be confident though so I expect it to be closer than the last day!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Waterford ahead 1-2 to 0-4 after 28 mins

1-3 to 0-5 at ht

Bad second half. 0-12 to 1-4 latest not long left

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭deisedude

Our footballers must have the worst disciplinary record of any team in the country. It seems like nearly every second game the last few years they have had to play with 14 men

• Registered Users Posts: 37,787 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

What's everyone's thoughts on next weekend.

What will be the Waterford team

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

PTH2009 wrote: »

I'm heading down to it, 7pm in Gaelic grounds on Sat. I expect Limerick to win but am hoping our lads can put up a good fight and play a more positive style with players supporting each other.

I would like to see Barron and Moran midfield, brick half forward, dillion in full forward line with halloran and maybe philip mahony centre back if fit enough.

Does top team in group automatically play div 1 next year or is there a seperate play off for top 2 teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Team I would like to see:

SOK
    Noel Connors
    Shane Fives
    Pa Walsh
    Darragh Fives
    Tadhg Bourke
    Kevin Moran
    Jamie Barron
    Donie Breathnach
    Paudi Mahony
    Tommy Connors
    Brian O Halloran
    Jake Dillon
    Brick
    Mikey Kearney

I'd have Shane Bennett in only for the reservations in that he will be doing his leaving so he's not a championship option and also thought he found it tough going against LIT game, the only one I saw so far.

Moran should be wing back for this game only if Austin Gleeson is unavailable. If he is available, he'd go center, Moran to midfield and you would have the option of reconsidering the forwards or having Donie Breathnach on the bench.

I have to say the forward line is a bit worrying, there doesn't seem to be an awful lot of options up there. Obviously, Darragh Fives is being managed carefully to so hard to know if he'll be available to start. The reports are that Barron is playing well in midfield so I'd be keen to see him there. I do feel though that they need to be versatile with their positioning of players. Barron has played corner forward plenty of times before, on his starting debut for Waterford v Tipp he got 1-1. If he was up against Michael Fennelly in midfield, you'd have to consider playing him up corner forward. I am growing to like the idea less and less that a player should be rigidly pigeon-holed into a position just because he played well there the last day. Play to their strengths.

Think we are missing a corner back, I don't think Coughlan will be good enough so would like to see Pa Walsh tried back there. Don't think Walsh is tall enough to be a wing back, has the stature of a corner back. Would say the rest picks itself, they are going to try Brick at full forward for the time being anyway.

I'm heading down to it, 7pm in Gaelic grounds on Sat. I expect Limerick to win but am hoping our lads can put up a good fight and play a more positive style with players supporting each other.

I would like to see Barron and Moran midfield, brick half forward, dillion in full forward line with halloran and maybe philip mahony centre back if fit enough.

Does top team in group automatically play div 1 next year or is there a seperate play off for top 2 teams.

Top of the league section will be promoted, no playoff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Anyone got the team, subs, scorers from last night?

Considering Dara Fives and Philip Mahony were always going to get a run pre league the team was predictable enough.

SOK,
    Shane Mc, Barry Coughlan, Shane Fives
    T de B, Dara Fives, Phil Mahony
    Barron, O Neill
    Moran, Mahony, Brick
    BOH, Dillon, Kearney

Half Time / Early 2nd half

2 Fives and Mahonys and BOH off
    Connors, Paudie Prender, GOB. Donie Breathnach and Shane Bennett on

Then a whole heap of changes for last 10/15

Scorers hard to say for sure
    Pauric 0-6 (0-4f) , Breathnach 1-3 (0-3f), Kearney 1-1, Brick 1-0, Shan (possibly, I'm not 100%) 1-0, Philip Mahony 0-2, S Bennett 0-2, K Moran 0-1 Dillon 0-1, T de B 0-1, Tommy Waring 0-1 and Stephen Bennett (on for a couple of minutes) 0-1

I'm not certain of the above but its the best I can do

Waterford Laboured a bit at the start and were down by 1-3 before they got on the board. The played steady and measured hurling and got back into it with the 2 Mahonys and T de B impressing. Kearney, showing great endevour as always, latched onto a loose ball in front of goal for a green flag and added a white one not long after. A goal by Clare on half time gave them a 5/6 pt buffer.

With 3 changes made to the Deise back line at HT, Clare nudged further ahead and at that stage ye thought they were looking comfortable. Then Waterford knuckled down.Led by T de B, now at CB, and assisted by Donie Breathanch driving runs from Centre forward, Shane Bennetts undoubted ability and with Brick and Moran finding their feet, they tore into Clare for 10 or so minutes. They hit about 3-4 to 0-1 over this period. Don't know if Clare made a lot of changes at that stage. Donie Breathnach got a great goal running at pace while gathering a super pass from Moran then finishing. Brick used his side step and control (and a bit of speed!) to find himself in on goal. The other one may have been finished by Shan, I don't know for sure.

The game which was full blooded on occasion settled down towards the end. It was a good workout ahead of the league. The final score from the Clare adjudicator was 4-18 to 2-24, can't say if they were biased or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

3ships wrote: »
    Considering Dara Fives and Philip Mahony were always going to get a run pre league the team was predictable enough.

SOK,
    Shane Mc, Barry Coughlan, Shane Fives
    T de B, Dara Fives, Phil Mahony
    Barron, O Neill
    Moran, Mahony, Brick
    BOH, Dillon, Kearney

Half Time / Early 2nd half

2 Fives and Mahonys and BOH off
    Connors, Paudie Prender, GOB. Donie Breathnach and Shane Bennett on

Then a whole heap of changes for last 10/15

Scorers hard to say for sure
    Pauric 0-6 (0-4f) , Breathnach 1-3 (0-3f), Kearney 1-1, Brick 1-0, Shan (possibly, I'm not 100%) 1-0, Philip Mahony 0-2, S Bennett 0-2, K Moran 0-1 Dillon 0-1, T de B 0-1, Tommy Waring 0-1 and Stephen Bennett (on for a couple of minutes) 0-1

I'm not certain of the above but its the best I can do

Waterford Laboured a bit at the start and were down by 1-3 before they got on the board. The played steady and measured hurling and got back into it with the 2 Mahonys and T de B impressing. Kearney, showing great endevour as always, latched onto a loose ball in front of goal for a green flag and added a white one not long after. A goal by Clare on half time gave them a 5/6 pt buffer.

With 3 changes made to the Deise back line at HT, Clare nudged further ahead and at that stage ye thought they were looking comfortable. Then Waterford knuckled down.Led by T de B, now at CB, and assisted by Donie Breathanch driving runs from Centre forward, Shane Bennetts undoubted ability and with Brick and Moran finding their feet, they tore into Clare for 10 or so minutes. They hit about 3-4 to 0-1 over this period. Don't know if Clare made a lot of changes at that stage. Donie Breathnach got a great goal running at pace while gathering a super pass from Moran then finishing. Brick used his side step and control (and a bit of speed!) to find himself in on goal. The other one may have been finished by Shan, I don't know for sure.

The game which was full blooded on occasion settled down towards the end. It was a good workout ahead of the league. The final score from the Clare adjudicator was 4-18 to 2-24, can't say if they were biased or not.

Can anyone confirm maurice Shan togged out and is back fit?

Serious addition to the team IMO if he is available for league

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Haven't seen any games over the last 2 months so I'm only basing a team on a few scant reports from those challenge games but I'd go with:

SOK, Shane McNulty, Shane Fives, Noelie, Darragh Fives, Tadgh Burke ( i'm assuming Austin isn't fit?) Philip Mahoney, Moran, Barron, Donie, Paudie, BOH, Mickey Kearney, Brick, Shane Bennett/Jake.

I think we actually have a good few options, plenty of lads capable of going in and doing a job. The above team I think has plenty of players that can do damage and win ball. Somebody mentioned that there's prob not much point playing Shane Bennett with him doing his leaving this year he'll likely be unavailable come championship but fcuk it I think this is a key game for us and one that could very well determine if we get back to Div 1 next year. I say if he's in form and capable of grabbing a few scores then that could be the difference in getting a result so play him.

I think most would agree it's between ourselves, Limerick and Wexford for promotion so how we do against each other should effectively determine who tops the group. Lose on Sunday and it'd be a big blow to those aspirations as we'd be on the back foot straight away and hoping Limerick slip up elsewhere. Win and it'd be a big confidence boost, especially having three very winnable games against Laois, Offaly and Antrim after Lk.

Hard to say how the game will go but I'm going to be positive and say that we can carry the good form of recent challenges into it and come out the right side by 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

PTH2009 wrote: »

Were in a better place than we were this time last year although that isnt saying much admittedly. Early indications from pre season is that management are changing their approach and its no coincidence that results and more importantly performances have been more positive. But I guess Saturday evening will tell us a bit more. Limerick are a team on the up no doubt about that and are a bit more settled and sure of their team than we are.

I've a feeling coughlan will start full back with Connors and Shane fives in the corners. The half backline to consist of darragh fives gleeson, Philip mahony or De bourke. Jamie Barron in midfield with possibly Moran alongside him or sully. Moran could also be in the half forwards. Brick either full or centre with the rest of the forwards consisting of o halloran paudie mahony Jake Dillon then any one 3 or 4 others. Positional wise its hard to predict as many of our forwards are pretty much at the same level in the sense that they can play in any position really.

Above is not a bad team at all in fact in some ways a fresher looking side than last years team with some of the older lads having moved on. I'd be hoping for a strong performance on Saturday night. If we came away with a 2 or 3 point defeat having performed well it wouldn't be the end of the world. I think being in 1b will be good for us as the players should be able to express themselves a bit more and grow in confidence morec as the league progresses. Provided of course management lets them

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭westcork blue

Its great to hear that Maurice and Steven Bennett are getting some game time. We have Colin Dunford, Eddie Barrett and Steven Daniels to also come back so if injuries are avoided we will have a pretty strong panel. Those 5 would all be in with a serious shout of starting all things being equal when fit. You could see a team come April/May of
    Soc, Shane F, Dara F, Noel,
    Daniels, T De B, Aussie
    Philip M, Jamie B
    Maurice, Paudie M, Moran
    Dunford, Brick, Steven B

That team should be capable of holding its own against all opponents.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Its great to hear that Maurice and Steven Bennett are getting some game time. We have Colin Dunford, Eddie Barrett and Steven Daniels to also come back so if injuries are avoided we will have a pretty strong panel. Those 5 would all be in with a serious shout of starting all things being equal when fit. You could see a team come April/May of
    Soc, Shane F, Dara F, Noel,
    Daniels, T De B, Aussie
    Philip M, Jamie B
    Maurice, Paudie M, Moran
    Dunford, Brick, Steven B

That team should be capable of holding its own against all opponents.

Daniels & Barrett be lucky to see any action this year still going through rehab for the knee injuries. Daniels can't turn on it yet at pace and Barrett still uncomfortable when running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

Daniels & Barrett be lucky to see any action this year still going through rehab for the knee injuries. Daniels can't turn on it yet at pace and Barrett still uncomfortable when running.

Is that the case with Daniels? He got injured a long time ago.. He may never come back right... Wasn't it the same injury as TJ Reid

Slobbery wrote: »
    Is that the case with Daniels? He got injured a long time ago.. He may never come back right... Wasn't it the same injury as TJ Reid

I think Daniels was worse. I remember Reid saying in an interview he broke his kneecap but Daniels was a shattered kneecap. Could be 2 ways of saying the same thing though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

deisedude wrote: »

I remember Reid saying in an interview he broke his kneecap

Eh it was actually broken for him...

citykat wrote: »

Thanks for the distinction, we all thought he sat in the shed one night and took a hammer too it!

• Advertisement

citykat wrote: »

Pedantic much?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Austin Gleeson playing for WIT now and scoring goals

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭IanVW

@tomasmcc: Full Time WIT 6-35 Maynooth 0-4 Pauric Mahony 1-18 Austin Gleeson 3-3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Good confidence boost for our lads but Maynooth are shocking. Carlow IT put 9-20 or so past them the last game.

How'd our other lads get on for their respective colleges? Hopefully no injuries.

Edit: looking at some reports Barron, Paudie Prendergast and Tadgh Burke had very good games for UCC in their drawn game v UL but they're knocked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Thanks for the distinction, we all thought he sat in the shed one night and took a hammer too it!

You're welcome. Wouldn't be good for your long term wellbeing to retain such a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Deise189

Cake Man wrote: »
    Good confidence boost for our lads but Maynooth are shocking. Carlow IT put 9-20 or so past them the last game.

How'd our other lads get on for their respective colleges? Hopefully no injuries.

Edit: looking at some reports Barron, Paudie Prendergast and Tadgh Burke had very good games for UCC in their drawn game v UL but they're knocked out.

Was at the UCC game. Very good showing by all of them. Tadgh Burke was composed at centre back and dominated his opponent IMO. Barron was one of UCC`s best and never stopped running. Looks much more physical than last year and his agility was amazing at times getting away from people. Played in midfield and set up a lot of scores. Tom Devine also started for UCC and made some great runs and made his presence felt a few times but had a generally quite game. By far the best Waterford player on show was Paudie Prender. Named on the bench but started instead of Shane Roche. He was phenomenal throughout the game at wing back catching some great balls and setting up good attacks. He also got a point or maybe two.

Surprisingly Stephen Bennett was introduced by UL with about 10 minutes to go when UCC took the lead for the first time. He was named on the programme as no.33 but came on as no.24 and instantly caused chaos for UCC. Don`t think he scored but he won a few frees that UL converted into points and some of his touches were out of this world. Can`t wait to have him fit and in a Waterford jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

Deise189 wrote: »
    Was at the UCC game. Very good showing by all of them. Tadgh Burke was composed at centre back and dominated his opponent IMO. Barron was one of UCC`s best and never stopped running. Looks much more physical than last year and his agility was amazing at times getting away from people. Played in midfield and set up a lot of scores. Tom Devine also started for UCC and made some great runs and made his presence felt a few times but had a generally quite game. By far the best Waterford player on show was Paudie Prender. Named on the bench but started instead of Shane Roche. He was phenomenal throughout the game at wing back catching some great balls and setting up good attacks. He also got a point or maybe two.

Surprisingly Stephen Bennett was introduced by UL with about 10 minutes to go when UCC took the lead for the first time. He was named on the programme as no.33 but came on as no.24 and instantly caused chaos for UCC. Don`t think he scored but he won a few frees that UL converted into points and some of his touches were out of this world. Can`t wait to have him fit and in a Waterford jersey.

Was at the game and would have to agree about Prendergast he was outstanding throughout. Barron on the other hand while getting on some good ball and working hard,was totally overshadowed by the performance of Tony Kelly for UL. Stephen Bennett actually came on at halftime for UL and scored 1pt,hit the post with another,laid on a score for a teammate and won two frees so overall he had a telling effect. He still isn't moving smoothly and on occasions was still stretching his hips but no doubt about it if fully fit he will be some addition. De Burca was very good but was still taken for 1-1 from play by Barry Lawton in the first half. UCC on paper looked to have a strong panel but credit to UL,who along with Kelly had great performances from Jason Forde and Brian Stapleton both from Tipp. Alan Cadogan for UCC was very good from play also.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

archieknox wrote: »
    Was at the game and would have to agree about Prendergast he was outstanding throughout. Barron on the other hand while getting on some good ball and working hard,was totally overshadowed by the performance of Tony Kelly for UL. Stephen Bennett actually came on at halftime for UL and scored 1pt,hit the post with another,laid on a score for a teammate and won two frees so overall he had a telling effect. He still isn't moving smoothly and on occasions was still stretching his hips but no doubt about it if fully fit he will be some addition. De Burca was very good but was still taken for 1-1 from play by Barry Lawton in the first half. UCC on paper looked to have a strong panel but credit to UL,who along with Kelly had great performances from Jason Forde and Brian Stapleton both from Tipp. Alan Cadogan for UCC was very good from play also.

It is unlikely that Tadhg de Búrca was taken for 1-1 by Barry Lawton seeing as they were both playing for UCC. There is no mention of Stephen Bennett playing for UL in the report of the game in The Examiner. It may be that he was misidentified if he was wearing a number different from the one in the programme. However, according to the Examiner report, UL did not bring on a substitute at half time and none of the substitutes who came on in the second half scored.

Deise189 wrote: »

Giveitfong wrote: »
    It is unlikely that Tadhg de Búrca was taken for 1-1 by Barry Lawton seeing as they were both playing for UCC. There is no mention of Stephen Bennett playing for UL in the report of the game in The Examiner. It may be that he was misidentified if he was wearing a number different from the one in the programme. However, according to the Examiner report, UL did not bring on a substitute at half time and none of the substitutes who came on in the second half scored.

The programme had Pa Sheehan as number 24 and the examiner says he came on at 45 mins in. Here's a link to the teamsheet. Could be that that was Bennett https://twitter.com/BigRedBench/status/565145984481886208

He's not credited with a score.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

The programme had Pa Sheehan as number 24 and the examiner says he came on at 45 mins in. Here's a link to the teamsheet. Could be that that was Bennett https://twitter.com/BigRedBench/status/565145984481886208

He's not credited with a score.

Lads Stephen Bennett started the second half for UL at full forward and moved to centre forward halfway through the half. He did wear number 24 but was down as number 33. That info came from one of the Waterford backroom team who was up there watching our own fellas. He said he did score aswell. Cant put anymore light on the subject after that! I would imagine though if the panel of players have different numbers on compared to the programme and reporters don't know the players that well then match reports are bound to be wrong. He did say also that Tony Kelly was tremendous aswell.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement