Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

cul beag wrote: »
    How do the Cork city clubs manage? God almighty thank god George Mitchell didn't contact ye before the Northern talks!!

Similarly, the big clubs will have plenty of players going to smaller clubs. St Paul's were a new club formed in the last five years or so. Pretty much all of their players came from Mount Sion, DLS, Roanmore, Saviours etc. who are all within about a mile of each other. Would you stop that club getting up and running by forcing lads to stay?

I think you'll find more players leaving bigger clubs than joining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

Figsy32 wrote: »
    No parish rule in the city in Cork. Quite a lot of parishes like Ballinlough, Rochestown don't have a team and lads are split between different clubs.

Don't remember there being a huge issue regarding transfers in the city in recent years.

Bud hartnett from Russell rovers to Middleton caused a bit of stir in cork, he had to sit out for 96 weeks for the transfer to go through.

Loads of young lads in cork are playing for clubs by giving grandparents addresses and are not playing for their local clubs in the suburbs so in cork it is preventing some smaller clubs from ever having these players.
    Some cases parents are driving 30 minutes for their child to play with a club rather than the local one.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

Slobbery wrote: »
    Bud hartnett from Russell rovers to Middleton caused a bit of stir in cork, he had to sit out for 96 weeks for the transfer to go through.

Loads of young lads in cork are playing for clubs by giving grandparents addresses and are not playing for their local clubs in the suburbs so in cork it is preventing some smaller clubs from ever having these players.
    Some cases parents are driving 30 minutes for their child to play with a club rather than the local one.

Yeah that caused a big controversy but neither club is in the city so the rules were different. Standard gaa rules apply for country clubs in Cork as far as I'm aware anyway.

I have heard stories about players from clubs outside the city like Ballincollig or Inniscara lose the odd player to city clubs like the Barrs and Bishopstown when they reach their teens alright, but it's nowhere near as prevalent a thing as it seems to be in Waterford at adult level judging by the posts here. Definitely not in the city anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Figsy32 wrote: »
    No parish rule in the city in Cork. Quite a lot of parishes like Ballinlough, Rochestown don't have a team and lads are split between different clubs.

Don't remember there being a huge issue regarding transfers in the city in recent years.

So basically you would have connections or live in close proximity to a club for you to become involved with that said club? Or through a school connected to a certain club maybe?But then as long as you're registered with that club you can't transfer for 2 years am i right thinking that?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭waterford28

After hearing a mid waterford senior football club has been going around the past few days to the surrounding intermediate and junior clubs looking for players, calling to their houses, have got a few too, how can any non senior club survive with this bull going on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

After hearing a mid waterford senior football club has been going around the past few days to the surrounding intermediate and junior clubs looking for players, calling to their houses, have got a few too, how can any non senior club survive with this bull going on

Name and shame

Name and shame

They were in the county final last year, let you draw your own conclusions

• Registered Users Posts: 35 GAA2TheCore

They were in the county final last year, let you draw your own conclusions

Stradbally ballinacourty? Which

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭deadybai

What time is the match on at this Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

@BrianJAFlannery: Former Cork Senior Hurling Manager Denis Walsh is expected to be ratified this weekend as Ballygunner Senior Hurling Manager for 2015

• Advertisement

Stradbally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

deadybai wrote: »
    What time is the match on at this Sunday?

2pm in Carriganore

Stradbally

Who are the intermediate/junior sides around them ? Kilmacthomas?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭doublejj

no he wasnt for most of the campaign check again....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

Stradbally ballinacourty? Which

Or it could be the dreaded johns either.... ISIS have nothing on them boyo's

• Registered Users Posts: 6 out west 12

There is no club worse than Stradbally when it comes to 'transferring' players, they've been at it for years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Turning into a bit of a free for all this is now. Think we might do well to leave it there, having a cut off particular clubs isn't going to solve or help anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,160 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

We have a terrible record in the crystal cup and I think lit mite have more prep done than us for the match. Could be a bad year for the seniors but hopefully they prove people wrong

Excited about the under 21 management this could be a great year for us in that grade. We have to beat cork in the qf and then I think Clare to get to the final.

Think it will be a quite year for the minor hurlers, team not as good as the last 2 years.

Hope modeligo and cappoquinn do well in the all Ireland's

There is no club worse than Stradbally when it comes to 'transferring' players, they've been at it for years

Can you name a few of these that they have poached or clubs they taken players from only one player comes to mind for me and he's been there for a few years now haven't heard of any other transfers to them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Can you name a few of these that they have poached or clubs they taken players from only one player comes to mind for me and he's been there for a few years now haven't heard of any other transfers to them

Off the top of my head 3. Tony and David Grey of De La Salle. Eddie Rocket of Portlaw.

• Advertisement

hardybuck wrote: »
    Off the top of my head 3. Tony and David Grey of De La Salle. Eddie Rocket of Portlaw.

These players have been with the club for number years now though id like to hear the new players that they have poached over the last year or two, the greys are the players I knew had transferred

Who are the intermediate/junior sides around them ? Kilmacthomas?

Heard a few, buy the paper Tuesday I suppose

doublejj wrote: »
    no he wasnt for most of the campaign check again....

Sorry, hold my hands up he was back for the semi final v ballyduff.

Heard a few, buy the paper Tuesday I suppose

Why can't you just name them ?

Modeligo bet by fullen Gaels 2-6 to 10 pa Walsh was sent off for modeligo, they had a great year to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭thesultan

I hear Mount Sion are buying in players mad

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

thesultan wrote: »

Ken will have some phone bill this month, hard for a young lad (in any doubt about his future with his own club or a desire to play intercounty hurling) to say No to a legend of the game like Ken in fairness..
    Lads i heard Dunford is going no where!!
    Can anyone shed some light on that?

thesultan wrote: »

Who have they supposedly bought in ? They only got 3 or 4 transfers into them

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭doublejj

its a joke alright but players/clubs are only doing what our great county board allows so there is only one place to point the finger...as for clubs like St pauls most of there players did come from roanmore,dunhill,mount sion but majority are from the area or parents are from area.now players moving for glory is a reflection of there character enough said..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

doublejj wrote: »
    its a joke alright but players/clubs are only doing what our great county board allows so there is only one place to point the finger...as for clubs like St pauls most of there players did come from roanmore,dunhill,mount sion but majority are from the area or parents are from area.now players moving for glory is a reflection of there character enough said..

Well said.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement