Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 brickeyvalley

I am not taking shots at DLS they are a good club. However that is the reason Jason Ryan had to go to Clongeen to find a role as a manager because of the way DLS were set up at the time, I think he was offered the minors by DLS but He knew people in Clongeen and offered his services while still playing GAA. I state that if DLS had given him more a role you would have DLS as county champions by now, and while it sounds like I'm fan boying my ex teammate but facts and statistics would should you that you would be, I think he took Wexford from being ranked 28th in 2007 to 9th in 2012.

For me I couldn't manage DLS because it is not my club, I could not play against my own club in a match because I wouldn't be fair. As for Waterford I would but I doubt I'd get the chance, the closes I got to waterford managerial role was assisting the county minor footballers with training when no selectors were available bar Kiely.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭cascade12

Brian O'Halloran excellent today, huge workrate and was to be seen even in the halfback line picking up ball a number of times.Pa Walsh very solid and tidy, small but tough and rarely caught out in the air. Noelie solid as always and Tommy Connors put himself about and created space for others, Gavin Ok but needs to be sharper with clearances, Martin O'Neill tried hard and got a nice point but we struggled a bit midfield.Pauric brilliant on the frees,Mickey Kearney ,like Halloran, worked his socks off and could have had 2 goals on another day but seems to have a good burst of pace.Shane Bennett and Donie Breathnach very involved when introduced, both showed well for the ball and Donie got a nice point.

Negatives - Brick is a legend but not a forward
    Coughlan not an inter county full back , wish he was because we need one
    Jamie Nagle unlucky to be dropped as bar Tadhg Burke we don't have a better
    Right half back IMO
    Shane O'Sullivan pretty quiet, would have been nice to see a younger player
    tried in midfield this early in the season ,maybe Harney .

What match were you at. Coughlan very close to being man of the match, did his own job and Aussies job. Brick excellent at FF and CF. I really do wonder about about some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Hurling man

cascade12 wrote: »
    What match were you at. Coughlan very close to being man of the match, did his own job and Aussies job. Brick excellent at FF and CF. I really do wonder about about some people.

I agree thought Barry coughlan was exceptional at full back today think he has all the makings of a very good full back. He can be a little too aggressive at times and flies out for every ball but with game time and coaching I think he can make a very good full back. As for brick too write off someone of his ability and character in January is not clever. It's very hard to judge how effective he will be until he has more game time with some hurling under his belt. I presume all the Waterford boys are just doing physical work at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

DLS was just randomly chosen as it was a team known for it in the past, it was used as an example as was Ardmore for being a small club.

Yes and the man you are referring to is Jason Ryan who I have played with before and am good friends with Jason. I believe however, he went to England when he was 17, got a Sport Science degree then a pe and biology degree and teached in England and coached Gaa whilst their, while playing Dual for London. When he returned to Ireland I played along side him for Waterford. In 2007 I believe after he got married he managed Clongeen to the county title in 2007 in Wexford. Key word, Wexford, and fair play to him he managed them to the county title then got the role as Wexford manager and the rest is history. If you'd like to congratulate him he teaches in Colaiste Cathail Naofa in Dungarvan. He was already an established coach at underage. And I do disagree with the fact he had to go to Clongeen for a managerial role, it just shows the lack of DLS working as a unit back then, if they got him involve in coaching the Adult set up (yes he did keep playing wth DLS til about 2012 when he tore his ACL) maybe ye'd be county champions.

That however is a good point, Jason Ryan is the best option for a football manager in Waterford but if he was too ever become manager a lot of ground would have to be made up to even tempt him. I do reckon he will manage Waterford football one day, but last he said he wanted to manage inter county hurling and a league of Ireland soccer side.

On another note that isn't stuck to boring transfer news and paying managers. While the current crop of players aren't too the highest standard skill wise I say waterford football in General will improve dramatically in the next decade. You have strong link from minor - u21 - Senior aswell as the junior an intermediate sides. The minors have a lot of strength and conditioning done so far at this Jimmy Payne training in Waterford, I think they have a match next week against WIT Freshers. From what I hear serious talent coming through with the likes of Conor Prunty, Michael Sweeney, David Looby, Paul Whelan too name a few all around 6ft 3/4, and more skillfull smaller players like Dylan Guiry and John Elsted. Waterford minors this year will actually be able to aerially compete in what has been the weakest area in recent years. I reckon they will dominate physically, I don't remember ye last time we had such huge minors. I say to be frank a minor Munster final in football is far more likely than hurling. We've Tipperary Quarter win that and your into a Semi Against either Tipp, Clare or Limerick with Cork and Kerry on the other side of the draw. If the minors of this year and last year are what Waterford would be like in the future they'll will be a serious team in the future.

When did I once say McGlinchey out :L I am aware he deserves a chance but as an ex player, managers from outside your own county lead to frustration within the squad and being unfamiliar with the best players within the county and benching players who should be starting due to lack of knowledge of that county's talent pool. It isn't exactly FFS where you have ratings and you can search for the players you want and see what areas they are good at :D . Yes he deserves a shot and I hope he does well but there are a lot of players on that who shouldn't be and a lot of neglected players due to him not knowing much about Waterford Gaa and yes he will swiftly learn but inter county doesn't give a man four years to get familiar and build a squad, they'll expect results.

Thanks for the background information on Jason. Tell me, do you know what he has for breakfast in the morning!?

Are you involved in the Brickeys yourself now at all, coaching or otherwise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

hardybuck wrote: »
    Thanks for the background information on Jason. Tell me, do you know what he has for breakfast in the morning!?

Are you involved in the Brickeys yourself now at all, coaching or otherwise?

Are you actually trying to get him to bore us all to death

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

If anyone can help me out on some club info

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2057357984

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Looking at yesterday's game was happy with the result and very pleased with some of the individual performances.

Once again though very alarmed at the performance of the management - at times it was the same story as last year.

In defence as soon as LIT moved a man out the field we were at sea, Barry Coughlan did end up playing center back for long periods with Gleeson playing as either full back or very deep lying centre back providing cover. One of the major advantages of Gleeson being centre back is the quality of his deliver into the forwards and ending up with him in our full back line is crazy. Equally at time Shane Fives was out in the Half back line. I know people will say they were following their man but if you are going to do that your formation and shape is going to get torn asunder and like yesterday (and for most of last year) we will leave big gaping holes that the better teams will exploit. How many times yesterday did we have extra numbers in defence but forwards were still in acres of space. On current thinking it is so simple for opposition to disrupt our game plan and for the opposition to dictate the state of play.

In the forwards, not sure about the Brick experiment and will not judge it until after at least 3 games. Will never dispute his ability as an athlete, hurler or leader but just feel that has always been far better playing the way he is facing. Can understand however trying to use his ball wining skills if you are going to use fast comer forwards feeding off breaking balls and possession that Brick might win, unfortunately again yesterday too many times we ended up with our full forward line being withdrawn and not functioning to this plan - looked all to similar to last years game plan.

This brings me to the Kevin Moran experiment as half forward which has been tried before and to me is again doomed to failure. I counted at least three occasions where Kevin ran in under dropping balls with no hope of getting the ball. Lads who are great fielders as defenders and not necessarily good balls winners when played up front with the roles reversed. Play players to their strengths is my thought.

Finally to midfield - both tried hard put in huge effort but drifted in and out of the game - need to look at this very carefully.

On the plus side, great to see O'Halloran back and in the form he was in yesterday - hopefully his injury problems are behind him and he can get a sustained run, prefer him as a wing forward rather than corner forward. Impressed with Michael Kearney and his direct style brings that much needed pace in our inside forward line. Also Shane Bennett showed glimpses of his potential, on another day he could have had quite a few scores.

In summary, lots of reasons to be positive on the player side, genuinely think we have the makings of a very good side but we as supporters do need to be patient with the younger lads especially and vie them time. On the management side, have the same concerns as last year, same apparent inability to keep our structure and allow other teams dictate the tactics. same tendency to yield the full forward line and withdraw too far out the field to carry a constant goal threat and same inability to identify obvious weaknesses in individual performances and to act on them.

Looking to the year with a degree of optimism but alot of fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭waterford28

Lads anywhere you'd get a list of the transfers? Or do you have to wait for the paper tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

Anyone know who all the players that Mt Sion are trying to poach? Controversy on facebook but no players named

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Anyone know who all the players that Mt Sion are trying to poach? Controversy on facebook but no players named

Henry Sheffln
    Tommy Walsh
    JJ Delaney
    Dessie O'Leary
    Gavin Whelan
    Timmy Organ
    Timmy O'Keeffe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Henry Sheffln
    Tommy Walsh
    JJ Delaney
    Dessie O'Leary
    Gavin Whelan
    Timmy Organ
    Timmy O'Keeffe

Just got off the phone with Ken there, delighted to announce I'll be joining Mount Sion next year :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Hurling man

Henry Sheffln
    Tommy Walsh
    JJ Delaney
    Dessie O'Leary
    Gavin Whelan
    Timmy Organ
    Timmy O'Keeffe

I'd say Dessie will be some addition in fairness jj and tommy should be able to concentrate fully on club hurling now too I don't think Gavin will leave colligan as for Timmy oregano can't see him making senior team Timmy o Keefe is an excellent organiser and may be more of an addition as team secretary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

Anyone know where Gavin O'Brien plays for his club? Always thought he was a forward!

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Anyone know where Gavin O'Brien plays for his club? Always thought he was a forward!

He played Centre Back for Roanmore Under 21 this year and normally plays Midfield for them Senior but he covers a lot of ground in fairness helping out in both attack & defence

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

Its possibly only in Waterford where the Transfer of players is treated like Transfer Deadline day in the UK. As we have little to talk about in terms of Success its things like that which keeps the county going.. A lot of rumours float around this time each year where I would say about 5% of them are true and usually of the big ones you know of them well in advance. It is quite funny to see the Sion boys losing there marbles over it.. Surely a club of that stature doesn't need to be responding to these types of rumours or is there no smoke without fire? If they are on such a recruitment drive what does that say for the underage set up of the club.. Time will tell I guess but if you get 1 player more often than not its the will of the player if you start getting 4 or 5 well its the pursuit by the club..

Also some lecturing from the lad from Dungarvan B. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Sliabh gCua1

Just got off the phone with Ken there, delighted to announce I'll be joining Mount Sion next year :cool:

Sky Sports News breaking the news officially at midnight. Ronaldo to have top billing taken from him. :D

Sky Sports News breaking the news officially at midnight. Ronaldo to have top billing taken from him. :D

Thought I'd do the decent thing and let ye know first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I do recall him playing an absolute stormer centre back in a minor (might have been minor b) county final in fraher field a few years ago

Where he was head and shoulders the best on the pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 35 GAA2TheCore

I do recall him playing an absolute stormer centre back in a minor (might have been minor b) county final in fraher field a few years ago

Where he was head and shoulders the best on the pitch

He scored one of the best goals I ever saw in croke park in minor v Dublin the year they got bet out the gap played centre forward and was captain of memory serves me right 2011 I think it was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

He scored one of the best goals I ever saw in croke park in minor v Dublin the year they got bet out the gap played centre forward and was captain of memory serves me right 2011 I think it was

Scored a brilliant goal against Clare in the Munster final when they were bet out the gap as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Have the transfers been published?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭mickotallow

There's been a lot of talk on this forum recently about clubs paying for outside managers/coaches. Wondering what people think about Ballygunner's new appointment. They were easily the best team in the county last year under Fergal Hartley. Surprised a club the size of Ballygunner could not replace Hartley from within esp when anyone taking over would have a good chance of winning the county title.
    And apart from that Denis Walsh is a strange choice and surely cannot be cheap with the distance he has to travel. He was hardly a success with Cork and got relegated from intermediate with his own club St. Catherines last year in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭thesultan

John Dee gone back to Sion , Bill Walsh Carrick Swans

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭mickotallow

thesultan wrote: »
    John Dee gone back to Sion , Bill Walsh Carrick Swans

John Dee transfer was declined by the CCCC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

I think the Denis Walsh appointment is crazy...

Clubs have more money than sense....

in general the club coaching scene has gotten to a stage now where fellas dont want to do it for their own club and will instead hold out to get paid every year to go anywhere where they can make a few pound.

They turn up a few times a week, collect the Money and even if they are a disaster they dont have to deal with any of the locals as they aren't from the area so dont have to deal with any of the backlash if they do a crap job.

its a joke at this stage, imagine what the clubs could do with that money if they invested it into a local primary school coaching program or their own juvenile section.

Hopefully we will see an end to the madness soon, it would great to see the trend reversed and for club men to look after their own teams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

There's been a lot of talk on this forum recently about clubs paying for outside managers/coaches. Wondering what people think about Ballygunner's new appointment. They were easily the best team in the county last year under Fergal Hartley. Surprised a club the size of Ballygunner could not replace Hartley from within esp when anyone taking over would have a good chance of winning the county title.
    And apart from that Denis Walsh is a strange choice and surely cannot be cheap with the distance he has to travel. He was hardly a success with Cork and got relegated from intermediate with his own club St. Catherines last year in Cork.

Presume Fergal Hartley didn't want to continue. Paul Flynn, I would have presumed would have been next in line if he wanted to take up the role. Managed the successful Ballygunner Under 21 team last year, had a successful stint with Down (not sure is he still involved there) and has previously been a selector with the county under 21 team.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Denis walsh is huge surprise to ballygunner
    He was meant to be joining killeagh so ballygunner head hunted him
    Now I'f club can afford expenses and willing to do it within reason fine and fair enough but you should then ger best man available and if not go young coach and try develop in club
    I rates Denis walsh as a brilliant hurler at full back and football and a fine dual players for cork and imo great servant for club and county
    I felt in football all ireland 1987 where he slipped bit missed goal Stafford I think got cork fans were harsh on him
    Mark o connor done same v dublin to sherlock goal in 95

As a manager though imo he's poor
    He's coached waterford football with no real success
    Now yes waterford football is poor but ned English in six weeks twenty years ago just Brough in coach them six week got clare beaten by Waterford I think twas clare biggest munster scalp in twenty years
    Walsh actually imo done nothing on longer time frame

He went cork as senior manager as board appointment him after strike players never believe in him but after Gerald maccsrthy turmoil had no choice but go with it
    He had awful record with cork hammered league final
    Beating tipp was one off in tipp well know training heavy in inchdkmey and no interest in munster

He was proven tactical wise be out of he's depth v Waterford in drawn and reply all ireland final when cork were absolutely horrendous from play
    Kilkenney destroyed us in semi as never understand how to use aiseake best
    Threw cian mac in v Kilkenney debut then subbed him

Tippeeary beat us next year
    Galway annihilation us in gaelic grounds

He still actually belive he's good coach in done interview recently saying felt cork under him were not that far away and he would done more if he'd more time
    He had two years

St Catherine he's was poor with then and there were awful under him

Got relegated under him yes relegated from intermediate not even premier grade even and worse again to dripsey no offence but there not great and Catherine had bout twenty wides in the game
    It baffling me how guy with no record in hurling in worse still loosing record, gets team relegated yet it one of the top great I mean really really great clubs in ireland
    Anybody can get a coaching job now

Cork have a coach going to waterford imo won't do much while pa Kearney going eirns own in cork as coach so definitely cork gaining top top young coach
    Mike o mahony went carrigtwohill and pairc fanning to Laois
    Ye have a coach we ballyhale don't ye??
    Year loosing top coaches imo that are in waterford

Walsh is very much old school easily tactical out maneuvered with imo no concept of game flow management or team selection
    This imo won't be a happy ending
    Despite talent their he certainly will not win a county imo with them

Denis walsh is huge surprise to ballygunner
    He was meant to be joining killeagh so ballygunner head hunted him
    Now I'f club can afford expenses and willing to do it within reason fine and fair enough but you should then ger best man available and if not go young coach and try develop in club
    I rates Denis walsh as a brilliant hurler at full back and football and a fine dual players for cork and imo great servant for club and county
    I felt in football all ireland 1987 where he slipped bit missed goal Stafford I think got cork fans were harsh on him
    Mark o connor done same v dublin to sherlock goal in 95

As a manager though imo he's poor
    He's coached waterford football with no real success
    Now yes waterford football is poor but ned English in six weeks twenty years ago just Brough in coach them six week got clare beaten by Waterford I think twas clare biggest munster scalp in twenty years
    Walsh actually imo done nothing on longer time frame

He went cork as senior manager as board appointment him after strike players never believe in him but after Gerald maccsrthy turmoil had no choice but go with it
    He had awful record with cork hammered league final
    Beating tipp was one off in tipp well know training heavy in inchdkmey and no interest in munster

He was proven tactical wise be out of he's depth v Waterford in drawn and reply all ireland final when cork were absolutely horrendous from play
    Kilkenney destroyed us in semi as never understand how to use aiseake best
    Threw cian mac in v Kilkenney debut then subbed him

Tippeeary beat us next year
    Galway annihilation us in gaelic grounds

He still actually belive he's good coach in done interview recently saying felt cork under him were not that far away and he would done more if he'd more time
    He had two years

St Catherine he's was poor with then and there were awful under him

Got relegated under him yes relegated from intermediate not even premier grade even and worse again to dripsey no offence but there not great and Catherine had bout twenty wides in the game
    It baffling me how guy with no record in hurling in worse still loosing record, gets team relegated yet it one of the top great I mean really really great clubs in ireland
    Anybody can get a coaching job now

Cork have a coach going to waterford imo won't do much while pa Kearney going eirns own in cork as coach so definitely cork gaining top top young coach
    Mike o mahony went carrigtwohill and pairc fanning to Laois
    Ye have a coach we ballyhale don't ye??
    Year loosing top coaches imo that are in waterford

Walsh is very much old school easily tactical out maneuvered with imo no concept of game flow management or team selection
    This imo won't be a happy ending
    Despite talent their he certainly will not win a county imo with them

Probably wouldn't be too much of a difference in the commute for Kearney, and he's moving from a Junior to a Senior club. May not have had other offers.

Denis Walsh doesn't strike me as a great choice either, but then the Sparrow didn't preside over a good Clare team but has a great record at club level so you wouldn't know.

Andy Moloney and Colm Bonner were over Ballygunner at the start of last year but there was upheaval to get rid by prominent members of a club to preserve their own self interest from what I know of it. Ballyhale are the best club team in the Country probably so is it any surprise they would go there when they would have them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Probably wouldn't be too much of a difference in the commute for Kearney, and he's moving from a Junior to a Senior club. May not have had other offers.

Denis Walsh doesn't strike me as a great choice either, but then the Sparrow didn't preside over a good Clare team but has a great record at club level so you wouldn't know.

Andy Moloney and Colm Bonner were over Ballygunner at the start of last year but there was upheaval to get rid by prominent members of a club to preserve their own self interest from what I know of it. Ballyhale are the best club team in the Country probably so is it any surprise they would go there when they would have them?
    I think sparrow well proven with adare but walsh club record is awful
    Huge difference win senior club title limerick than be relegated second grade cork intermediate grade

No no surprise they would but more importantly is ballyhale rate them enough bring them in

Kearney top top top coach

• Advertisement

I think sparrow well proven with adare but walsh club record is awful
    Huge difference win senior club title limerick than be relegated second grade cork intermediate grade

No no surprise they would but more importantly is ballyhale rate them enough bring them in

Kearney top top top coach

Yeah but while Moloney did play for Ballygunner and Waterford, he is originally from Tipp. Bonner is 100% from Tipp though he's been living in Waterford and coaching in WIT for a long time now. Was a selector with Waterford but that's as far as the allegiance goes.

So not exactly Waterford coaches, plus Moloney to my knowledge had only coached the Waterford ladies camogie team before he was in with Ballygunner and then Ballyhale this year. It's a pity Fergal Hartley wasn't able to continue with Ballygunner next year, he did a great job in my opinion. On paper I don't see the wealth of talent there (though they've won 4 u21 titles in a row) but in my mind they were very close to the best in Munster this year as Brian O'Sullivan should never been sent off which got Cratloe out of jail.

Think Ken McGrath was a great appointment for Mount Sion and great to see him in charge.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement