Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

Modeligo bet by fullen Gaels 2-6 to 10 pa Walsh was sent off for modeligo, they had a great year to be fair

Disappointing result for them. A lot of their supporters/families left stranded at airports and couldn't travel due to the weather from what I hear. Maybe had an affect. Either way they had a fantastic year and done the county proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 brickeyvalley

I have never understood the reasons for transfers as they ruin the game, I agree that if someone wants to transfer they should have to wait for two years before being allowed transfer, only however if it is a inner county transfer. But say a player moves away to another county, e.g. Offaly, for work the transfer should be allowed immediately, however the player can only play for that club within that county Offaly regardless of whether he cannot start or dislikes management, and if he really wishes to transfer he must wait 4-5 years before being allowed to be transferred to another club within Offaly. Then, say this player returns from Offaly to Waterford he MUST return to his old club in Waterford, no exception.

I think adult club transfers should be 4 years, it would complete remove transfers. From poacher clubs and gives all clubs a fighting chance.

In regards to underage players, each primary school should be connected to a club and I'll use my own club for e.g. Brickey Rangers, Two Primary School in the Brickey valley, Carriglea and Glenbeg NS send their students to play for Brickeys. Same in all areas, you play for the club you started primary school in. Granted an immediate transfer should be allowed if the child moves over 15 kms and moves school. But club could only be changed by change in address and primary school, and the child has to play for the club in which his primary school is attached to. Once the child reaches u14 regardless of moving the child should have to wait 2 years before being allowed transfer.

I don't see why that would be so hard to implement.

I heard a matter however in my club, Brickey Rangers, their has been a transfer request denied by the county board for a player who last played u10 for dungarvan and hasn't since played Gaa, only soccer. I think that is shambolic to be frank, someone who hasn't played Gaa in over 6-7 years denied the chance to take up GAA simply because he played u10 for dungarvan. It ain't really as if he will be starting county and scoring hat tricks any time soon. But no, the county board has denied someone taking up GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Ballyvoile Boy

I have never understood the reasons for transfers as they ruin the game, I agree that if someone wants to transfer they should have to wait for two years before being allowed transfer, only however if it is a inner county transfer. But say a player moves away to another county, e.g. Offaly, for work the transfer should be allowed immediately, however the player can only play for that club within that county Offaly regardless of whether he cannot start or dislikes management, and if he really wishes to transfer he must wait 4-5 years before being allowed to be transferred to another club within Offaly. Then, say this player returns from Offaly to Waterford he MUST return to his old club in Waterford, no exception.

I think adult club transfers should be 4 years, it would complete remove transfers. From poacher clubs and gives all clubs a fighting chance.

In regards to underage players, each primary school should be connected to a club and I'll use my own club for e.g. Brickey Rangers, Two Primary School in the Brickey valley, Carriglea and Glenbeg NS send their students to play for Brickeys. Same in all areas, you play for the club you started primary school in. Granted an immediate transfer should be allowed if the child moves over 15 kms and moves school. But club could only be changed by change in address and primary school, and the child has to play for the club in which his primary school is attached to. Once the child reaches u14 regardless of moving the child should have to wait 2 years before being allowed transfer.

I don't see why that would be so hard to implement.

I heard a matter however in my club, Brickey Rangers, their has been a transfer request denied by the county board for a player who last played u10 for dungarvan and hasn't since played Gaa, only soccer. I think that is shambolic to be frank, someone who hasn't played Gaa in over 6-7 years denied the chance to take up GAA simply because he played u10 for dungarvan. It ain't really as if he will be starting county and scoring hat tricks any time soon. But no, the county board has denied someone taking up GAA.

Last year, he wouldn't have needed a transfer, as he would have had to have played U12 for Dungarvan - which, as you say, he never did. When did they change that rule? Must have been in 2014? Strange how they denied a transfer he doesn't need, especially seeing as the transfers meeting is not until next Tuesday.

BTW, a child is entitled to play for the club in the parish he lives in and shouldn't be tied to a school outside of his own parish. I know the Brickey's are in the unusual position of sharing a parish with Dungarvan, but I don't see how kids from the parish of Stradbally who go to the Irish school in Abbeyside, should be forced to play for Abbeyside. It doesn't make sense to me anyway.

Perhaps you could elaborate.....

Ken will have some phone bill this month, hard for a young lad (in any doubt about his future with his own club or a desire to play intercounty hurling) to say No to a legend of the game like Ken in fairness..
    Lads i heard Dunford is going no where!!
    Can anyone shed some light on that?

Confirmed, he is going nowhere. I heard he wouldn't leave his club mates down, but that he was being touted alright. His granny is Dungarvan out and out anyway.

Sigh of relief in Colligan I'd say. Fair play to him for sticking with his mates, they'll win the hurling yet and move up to intermediate. Handy team that came up against a very strong Modeligo team this year. Knocking on the door though. Will be interesting to see how they will fare in the new junior structures, whatever they will be in the end.

Okay yes it needs to be expanded haha, as it stands any child can join any club under u6. And yes this is the main reason why clubs like DLS Mount Sion are getting lots of members compared to smaller clubs. Parents want them at better clubs, this can be denied but I know people in Portlaw who live there and go to school there have their children playing for DLS, ballygunner, Mount Sion. This happens in dungarvan and I even know who play for dungarvan yet live in Stradbally and went to the Irish school in Balinacourty.

If a rule was introduced that the child must play the club in which the school is attached to then the balance of players would be fairer on lesser clubs at underage, and would benefit clubs down the line.

In the case for Stradbally, it would come down to Two things. Address and school. If a child lived in Stradbally and went to the Irish school they would be eligible to play for either Stradbally or Abbeyside. If the child went to Garnbane they would only be eligible to play for Stradbally or Abbeyside/Balinacourty. If the child lived and went to school in Stradbally they would only be able to play for Stradbally. If they went to the abbeyside primary school they'd only be eligible to play for abbeyside/Balinacourty.

If they lived in dungarvan went to Dungarvan secondary school they would only be eligible to play for Dungarvan, but if they lived in Dungarvan and went to the Irish school in Balinacourty they could play for their Dungarvan or Abbeyside.

A good e.g. Of this is the Currans, they live in the Brickey valley yet went to the brothers primary school st Joseph's and play for dungarvan, they would be eligible to play for Brickeys or dungarvan.

This would completely eliminate as stated above, living and sending your child to school in Portlaw and sending them to play for DLS, Mount Sion, Ballygunner. And gives lesser clubs more players.

It isn't a parish rule, it would work off where you go to primary school ad where you live. If you live in Colligan and you go to school in Dungavan St. Joseph's your child is eligible to play for St. Pats/Naomh Brid (Colligan, Modeligo and Kilgobnot band together at underage because little players) and eligible for Dungarvan. Down the line it would pay off.

Then on underage transfers, cannot be allowed (maybe unless it is out of bigger clubs to a lesser club) however that would be allowed until u14 where you would have to wait 2 years to transfer. (Mainly because you will see the talent separate in secondary school and that's when poaching begin, I haven't really heard of much u12 poaching :P

Then once the reach Adult level you have to wait 4 years for a transfer (Adult level begins at Minor). I think this would end transfers for good.

Also, anyone know the tables for Minor football Div 1 & 2 for 2015.

• Advertisement

Okay yes it needs to be expanded haha, as it stands any child can join any club under u6. And yes this is the main reason why clubs like DLS Mount Sion are getting lots of members compared to smaller clubs. Parents want them at better clubs, this can be denied but I know people in Portlaw who live there and go to school there have their children playing for DLS, ballygunner, Mount Sion. This happens in dungarvan and I even know who play for dungarvan yet live in Stradbally and went to the Irish school in Balinacourty.

If a rule was introduced that the child must play the club in which the school is attached to then the balance of players would be fairer on lesser clubs at underage, and would benefit clubs down the line.

In the case for Stradbally, it would come down to Two things. Address and school. If a child lived in Stradbally and went to the Irish school they would be eligible to play for either Stradbally or Abbeyside. If the child went to Garnbane they would only be eligible to play for Stradbally or Abbeyside/Balinacourty. If the child lived and went to school in Stradbally they would only be able to play for Stradbally. If they went to the abbeyside primary school they'd only be eligible to play for abbeyside/Balinacourty.

If they lived in dungarvan went to Dungarvan secondary school they would only be eligible to play for Dungarvan, but if they lived in Dungarvan and went to the Irish school in Balinacourty they could play for their Dungarvan or Abbeyside.

A good e.g. Of this is the Currans, they live in the Brickey valley yet went to the brothers primary school st Joseph's and play for dungarvan, they would be eligible to play for Brickeys or dungarvan.

This would completely eliminate as stated above, living and sending your child to school in Portlaw and sending them to play for DLS, Mount Sion, Ballygunner. And gives lesser clubs more players.

It isn't a parish rule, it would work off where you go to primary school ad where you live. If you live in Colligan and you go to school in Dungavan St. Joseph's your child is eligible to play for St. Pats/Naomh Brid (Colligan, Modeligo and Kilgobnot band together at underage because little players) and eligible for Dungarvan. Down the line it would pay off.

Then on underage transfers, cannot be allowed (maybe unless it is out of bigger clubs to a lesser club) however that would be allowed until u14 where you would have to wait 2 years to transfer. (Mainly because you will see the talent separate in secondary school and that's when poaching begin, I haven't really heard of much u12 poaching :P

Then once the reach Adult level you have to wait 4 years for a transfer (Adult level begins at Minor). I think this would end transfers for good.

Also, anyone know the tables for Minor football Div 1 & 2 for 2015.

Only proposed tables at this point. Brickeys named in div 2 hurling & football in proposal.

Really, didn't hear that, surprising when uve four or five on the county minor footballers n about 11 of the starting team involved with various county development squads. Well while I'm disappointed we ain't div 1, I say we did put our best team probably ever into division 1 last year and finished 2nd last. I say they'll win division 2 then, I heard Stradbally might be in it? Serious preparation already, 2nd week Jan and three field training sessions done and two circuit training and they've a match against the u21's in the morning. Olan Casey serious man to get a team together so early on. Are many back yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Only proposed tables at this point. Brickeys named in div 2 hurling & football in proposal.

Mount Sion also in div.2 of the hurling must be a first surely

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

Things must be at an all time low in Lismore if the stories are true. 5 players either retired or unavailable for the coming year,all 5 off last year's team and no management in place for minor,u21,junior or senior after their agm. I spoke to a committee member of there's and he said it is the worst he has ever seen it. A shame if it is that way because even though we would have a huge rivalry with them Waterford hurling needs them along with the likes of Tallow and Ballyduff and Cappoquin to stay competitive at all levels. Maybe it is a sign of the times with emigration,no jobs locally etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

@tomasmcc: Waterford v LIT: O Regan Fives Coughlan Connors O Brien Gleeson Walsh O Neill O Sullivan Moran Connors Mahony O Halloran Walsh Kearney

@tomasmcc: Competitive debuts for Pa Walsh & Michael Kearney

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 sizing europe

archieknox wrote: »
    Things must be at an all time low in Lismore if the stories are true. 5 players either retired or unavailable for the coming year,all 5 off last year's team and no management in place for minor,u21,junior or senior after their agm. I spoke to a committee member of there's and he said it is the worst he has ever seen it. .

Good man, posting this sort of mis-information is exactly what makes this forum laugh-able at times. "Hearing these stories" from "reliable sources" or from lads "in the know" or in this case a "committee member". Absolute lies i know for a fact your post is not true and does not belong on a public internet forum.None of that information is true.
    A shame if it is that way because even though we would have a huge rivalry with them Waterford hurling needs them along with the likes of Tallow and Ballyduff and Cappoquin to stay competitive at all levels. Maybe it is a sign of the times with emigration,no jobs locally etc..

You say its a "shame" for the far west clubs to be as weak as they are, as waterford hurling needs them. True , I would fully agree, Tallow, Lismore and Ballyduff have always been traditional hurling strongholds from as far back as the 70s and have always produced great hurlers for the waterford senior team. But for me what is a bigger shame is for the rise and rise of the absolute evils in our game, such as poaching from smaller clubs and paying huge sums of monies to outside trainers. Say what you want about the aforementioned clubs but they will always have the heart and soul in the jersey and would of grown up playing underage with the fella next to them on the field of play. Compare it to your own club archieknox and tell me your not looking out at a team of gathered together mercenernies, coached by a guy whos only reason taking the job is so it might improve his chances of getting an inter co management job down the line. Not to mention the thousands upon thousands of euros being pumped in the bank balance. Stories of countless phone calls being made to good underage players from your club have proved to be true , is that not a "shame" on your own club, not least a "shame "and blatant disregard to the ethos of the GAA?? How are smaller intermediate and senior clubs supposed to compete,? If a town with over 10,000 population cant get 15 lads to wear a jersey who are there own and feels the need to pay for an outside coach and poach left right and centre. To me that is the real shame.

Things must be at an all time low in Lismore if the stories are true. 5 players either retired or unavailable for the coming year,all 5 off last year's team and no management in place for minor,u21,junior or senior after their agm. I spoke to a committee member of there's and he said it is the worst he has ever seen it. .

Good man, posting this sort of mis-information is exactly what makes this forum laugh-able at times. "Hearing these stories" from "reliable sources" or from lads "in the know" or in this case a "committee member". Absolute lies i know for a fact your post is not true and does not belong on a public internet forum.None of that information is true.
    A shame if it is that way because even though we would have a huge rivalry with them Waterford hurling needs them along with the likes of Tallow and Ballyduff and Cappoquin to stay competitive at all levels. Maybe it is a sign of the times with emigration,no jobs locally etc..

You say its a "shame" for the far west clubs to be as weak as they are, as waterford hurling needs them. True , I would fully agree, Tallow, Lismore and Ballyduff have always been traditional hurling strongholds from as far back as the 70s and have always produced great hurlers for the waterford senior team. But for me what is a bigger shame is for the rise and rise of the absolute evils in our game, such as poaching from smaller clubs and paying huge sums of monies to outside trainers. Say what you want about the aforementioned clubs but they will always have the heart and soul in the jersey and would of grown up playing underage with the fella next to them on the field of play. Compare it to your own club archieknox and tell me your not looking out at a team of gathered together mercenernies, coached by a guy whos only reason taking the job is so it might improve his chances of getting an inter co management job down the line. Not to mention the thousands upon thousands of euros being pumped in the bank balance. Stories of countless phone calls being made to good underage players from your club have proved to be true , is that not a "shame" on your own club, not least a "shame "and blatant disregard to the ethos of the GAA?? How are smaller intermediate and junior clubs supposed to compete,? If a town with over 10,000 population cant get 15 lads to wear a jersey who are there own and feels the need to pay for an outside coach and poach left right and centre. To me that is the real shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Two points up at half time 11 to 9. Austin Gleeson and Noel Connors the best for me. Mostly frees from paudie mahony. Not great stuff to watch, typical January hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Two points up at half time 11 to 9. Austin Gleeson and Noel Connors the best for me. Mostly frees from paudie mahony. Not great stuff to watch, typical January hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

You say its a "shame" for the far west clubs to be as weak as they are, as waterford hurling needs them. True , I would fully agree, Tallow, Lismore and Ballyduff have always been traditional hurling strongholds from as far back as the 70s and have always produced great hurlers for the waterford senior team. But for me what is a bigger shame is for the rise and rise of the absolute evils in our game, such as poaching from smaller clubs and paying huge sums of monies to outside trainers. Say what you want about the aforementioned clubs but they will always have the heart and soul in the jersey and would of grown up playing underage with the fella next to them on the field of play. Compare it to your own club archieknox and tell me your not looking out at a team of gathered together mercenernies, coached by a guy whos only reason taking the job is so it might improve his chances of getting an inter co management job down the line. Not to mention the thousands upon thousands of euros being pumped in the bank balance. Stories of countless phone calls being made to good underage players from your club have proved to be true , is that not a "shame" on your own club, not least a "shame "and blatant disregard to the ethos of the GAA?? How are smaller intermediate and senior clubs supposed to compete,? If a town with over 10,000 population cant get 15 lads to wear a jersey who are there own and feels the need to pay for an outside coach and poach left right and centre. To me that is the real shame.

I posted the information i was given more in hope of maybe someone else having heard if it was true or not. Obviously going by your response my information was wrong so if that is so can i ask you who has taken over up there this year?
    As regards to transfers and payments to coaches etc are we the only guilty party? Of the 12 senior teams this year i am sure at least half will have outside coaches that will need paying"expenses" Down through the years we too have suffered players leaving for greener pastures and it is not a nice feeling. If a player wants to leave and has visions of playing at a higher level how can you stop him? Kiely came last year with that intention,Power the same this year. Both would have played with alot of our players all the way up through the Rice cup,Harty cup and so on so they're not exactly strangers. They obviously got the taste of success in here and want more. We don't make the rules within the county regarding transfers and until those rules are changed,whether it is popular or not,this process will continue for the foreseeable future. As regards our coach's future intentions,as long as he delivers the news and star cup to the old boro i will not be too upset where or what he decides to do!!

I posted the information i was given more in hope of maybe someone else having heard if it was true or not. Obviously going by your response my information was wrong so if that is so can i ask you who has taken over up there this year?
    As regards to transfers and payments to coaches etc are we the only guilty party? Of the 12 senior teams this year i am sure at least half will have outside coaches that will need paying"expenses" Down through the years we too have suffered players leaving for greener pastures and it is not a nice feeling. If a player wants to leave and has visions of playing at a higher level how can you stop him? Kiely came last year with that intention,Power the same this year. Both would have played with alot of our players all the way up through the Rice cup,Harty cup and so on so they're not exactly strangers. They obviously got the taste of success in here and want more. We don't make the rules within the county regarding transfers and until those rules are changed,whether it is popular or not,this process will continue for the foreseeable future. As regards our coach's future intentions,as long as he delivers the news and star cup to the old boro i will not be too upset where or what he decides to do!!

There will be genuine lads who have hurled with dungarvan from under8s all the way upto senior on the subs bench because of outide lads that got poached in, tell me thats not against everything the GAA stands for.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,542 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Footballers beat CIT today in Mcgrath cup 1-11 to 0-9.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,542 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Waterford 1-22 LIT 0-18 the full time in Waterford crystal hurling. Brian o Halloran with the goal

Last I checked, which was this morning, Brickeys are in Senior Football with a manager who is an ex player, Dermot O'Neill, Dermot however was a Ex Derry Senior Footballer but he came to waterford from Derry over a decade ago played for us. Now managing. He does not get payed and I know that for a fact. Granted he owns a pharmacy and probably doesn't need it. He is doing it for simple love of the game. Something that has left GAA. People within the club playing for the club and graduating later on to being manager. I never understood management outside your own, when does it really work. Nor does it work at inter county, hence why McGlinchey's appointment. Not saying anything bad about him, he needs a chance. But appointing a manager in footballer that isn't from your own county is statistically shooting yourself in the foot. Two managers I believe have ever won an all Ireland outside there own county, one of them was Eugene McGee.

I think that there needs to be a rule implemented to stop bringing in management from outside your own club. It goes against the ethos of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

All yer clubs are great lads.

Brian O Halloran was super today, must have scored around 1-5. Great to see him back hopefully he can conquer his injury troubles. Thought Gavin O Brien did well too at wing back bar getting bet badly once in the air. Austin Gleeson has everything, its just when he decides to play it smart. Took two pot shots that went wide in the first half, I'm guessing we had a slight breeze. Maybe someone had a word, or he just copped on but played some terrific balls into the forwards today something we usually lack and generally something we lack.

Great inter play between Moran, Dillon, Kearney and O Halloran for the Waterford goal. Kearney himself was unlucky he didn't get two goals, a poor handpass from Tommy Connors (unlike him) and after a great touch and run just couldn't pull off the finish to beat the keeper.

Thought Tommy Connors played well, was surprised he was first off. Not much of scoring threat but brings others into it and gets well stuck in. Mahony was good but he was marking Kieran Bennett who he should be better than. The backs weren't great, though the marking was poor. Pa Walsh tried hard and came into his own late in the second half scoring a great point. Dunno where Brick was playing, it was like wed two center forwards at times. He got one great point but after missing that sitter I'm wondering how many forwards that offer no scoring threat will we have room for?

Shane Sully and Moran were on holidays, we eagerly await there return. Not much learned, but always nice to get a win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

Some decent individual performances namely Mahony, O Halloran, Gavin O Brien and Austin Gleason throughout with good support at times from Pa Walsh, S fives , M Kearney, S Bennet , and Brick (when moved further outfield in the second half)

Completely lost our shape when Lit drew their forward out we had backs all over the place with no one sure where anyone was playing.( Aussie looked like he was full back and Coughlan centre back at one point), I know our player were following their men but it got nuts, at one stage I think at one point we had about 3 extra men at the back and lit were still finding a spare man going forward, As much to do with our side line as players

Early days and the win should be good for confidence , certainly better than this time last year,

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭revisionist

Last I checked, which was this morning, Brickeys are in Senior Football with a manager who is an ex player, Dermot O'Neill, Dermot however was a Ex Derry Senior Footballer but he came to waterford from Derry over a decade ago played for us. Now managing. He does not get payed and I know that for a fact. Granted he owns a pharmacy and probably doesn't need it. He is doing it for simple love of the game. Something that has left GAA. People within the club playing for the club and graduating later on to being manager. I never understood management outside your own, when does it really work. Nor does it work at inter county, hence why McGlinchey's appointment. Not saying anything bad about him, he needs a chance. But appointing a manager in footballer that isn't from your own county is statistically shooting yourself in the foot. Two managers I believe have ever won an all Ireland outside there own county, one of them was Eugene McGee.

I think that there needs to be a rule implemented to stop bringing in management from outside your own club. It goes against the ethos of the game.

How does it go outside the ethos of the game? In fact what is the ''ethos'' of the game except a glib cliche that is used to knock something or other. We are all Irish on the island of Ireland hence with a right to involve ourselves with any club we choose or will have us.

How does it go outside the ethos of the game? In fact what is the ''ethos'' of the game except a glib cliche that is used to knock something or other. We are all Irish on the island of Ireland hence with a right to involve ourselves with any club we choose or will have us.

It is exactly that attitude that ruins the game, what you just stated is the reason people are moaning over big clubs giving no chance to little clubs by poaching players. And within areas like DLS where they have a huge population they are able to collect huge funding to pay for credible managers with a history of winning and putting it down to expenses and mileage. Now when you compare two clubs like DLS and Ardmore for e.g. explain how Ardmore would stand a chance when they are playing against DLS, despite the fact DLS have superior number of players they are paying for a manager who would be far superior tactically and mentally with his players. That my friend is the reason why the amateur status of GAA has turn to semi-professional.

You simply should not be allowed bring in outside managers cause chances are they are being paid. Unless you move counties you should belong to one club and one club only, they are plenty managerial opportunities within their own club and instead of managing other teams like DLS in the hopes of getting an inter county offer down the line they should help coach the u16, minors, u21, Junior, Intermediate, Senior. More quality and experience managers within a club would improve the club in the long run. That is why you shouldn't be allowed managing outside your own club. Rather than speak nonsense like that, spare me that, I've played for the Waterford Seniors Footballers and changes in management from outsiders normally lead to lack of respect and bad results, furthermore the players know they are their for money more so cause not many can say they'd want manage waterford footballers. Well I would, but that is a different story. :D

With all due respect brickeyvalley, all reports from the football panels for Owens and Carews reign was they were far superior to what came immediately before from our inside manager who no doubt has great enthusiasm and love for the game but not they same know how they brought. McClinchey is in the job 5 minutes and has two wins. Deserves a chance.

Also, outside managers have brought us to a replay in a Munster final, and all Ireland semi for the first time since 1963 and subsequently 4 Munster titles and a league, plus an all Ireland appearance. An average of a Munster title win every 2.5 years from when Justin came in to Davy leaving (who for the record I didn't and still don't like).

Time to stop looking at there place of birth and start looking at the ability of the people to do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

It is exactly that attitude that ruins the game, what you just stated is the reason people are moaning over big clubs giving no chance to little clubs by poaching players. And within areas like DLS where they have a huge population they are able to collect huge funding to pay for credible managers with a history of winning and putting it down to expenses and mileage. Now when you compare two clubs like DLS and Ardmore for e.g. explain how Ardmore would stand a chance when they are playing against DLS, despite the fact DLS have superior number of players they are paying for a manager who would be far superior tactically and mentally with his players. That my friend is the reason why the amateur status of GAA has turn to semi-professional.

You simply should not be allowed bring in outside managers cause chances are they are being paid. Unless you move counties you should belong to one club and one club only, they are plenty managerial opportunities within their own club and instead of managing other teams like DLS in the hopes of getting an inter county offer down the line they should help coach the u16, minors, u21, Junior, Intermediate, Senior. More quality and experience managers within a club would improve the club in the long run. That is why you shouldn't be allowed managing outside your own club. Rather than speak nonsense like that, spare me that, I've played for the Waterford Seniors Footballers and changes in management from outsiders normally lead to lack of respect and bad results, furthermore the players know they are their for money more so cause not many can say they'd want manage waterford footballers. Well I would, but that is a different story. :D

Jaysus. Get off your high horse for a minute. I see you've mentioned DLS five times there, their senior football and hurling managers are from the club and it's been that way for a few years anyway.

Regarding outside managers, one of the better young football managers in the country is a DLS man. He was the most successful Wexford manager in decades. They gave him an opportunity to cut his teeth when they couldn't get anybody else. I personally think it's terrific that he's had an opportunity to test himself at the highest level.

Great to hear everything in the Brickeys is in ship shape however.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 GAA2TheCore

What club is pa Walsh from ?

What club is pa Walsh from ?

Passage

DLS was just randomly chosen as it was a team known for it in the past, it was used as an example as was Ardmore for being a small club.

Yes and the man you are referring to is Jason Ryan who I have played with before and am good friends with Jason. I believe however, he went to England when he was 17, got a Sport Science degree then a pe and biology degree and teached in England and coached Gaa whilst their, while playing Dual for London. When he returned to Ireland I played along side him for Waterford. In 2007 I believe after he got married he managed Clongeen to the county title in 2007 in Wexford. Key word, Wexford, and fair play to him he managed them to the county title then got the role as Wexford manager and the rest is history. If you'd like to congratulate him he teaches in Colaiste Cathail Naofa in Dungarvan. He was already an established coach at underage. And I do disagree with the fact he had to go to Clongeen for a managerial role, it just shows the lack of DLS working as a unit back then, if they got him involve in coaching the Adult set up (yes he did keep playing wth DLS til about 2012 when he tore his ACL) maybe ye'd be county champions.

That however is a good point, Jason Ryan is the best option for a football manager in Waterford but if he was too ever become manager a lot of ground would have to be made up to even tempt him. I do reckon he will manage Waterford football one day, but last he said he wanted to manage inter county hurling and a league of Ireland soccer side.

On another note that isn't stuck to boring transfer news and paying managers. While the current crop of players aren't too the highest standard skill wise I say waterford football in General will improve dramatically in the next decade. You have strong link from minor - u21 - Senior aswell as the junior an intermediate sides. The minors have a lot of strength and conditioning done so far at this Jimmy Payne training in Waterford, I think they have a match next week against WIT Freshers. From what I hear serious talent coming through with the likes of Conor Prunty, Michael Sweeney, David Looby, Paul Whelan too name a few all around 6ft 3/4, and more skillfull smaller players like Dylan Guiry and John Elsted. Waterford minors this year will actually be able to aerially compete in what has been the weakest area in recent years. I reckon they will dominate physically, I don't remember ye last time we had such huge minors. I say to be frank a minor Munster final in football is far more likely than hurling. We've Tipperary Quarter win that and your into a Semi Against either Tipp, Clare or Limerick with Cork and Kerry on the other side of the draw. If the minors of this year and last year are what Waterford would be like in the future they'll will be a serious team in the future.

When did I once say McGlinchey out :L I am aware he deserves a chance but as an ex player, managers from outside your own county lead to frustration within the squad and being unfamiliar with the best players within the county and benching players who should be starting due to lack of knowledge of that county's talent pool. It isn't exactly FFS where you have ratings and you can search for the players you want and see what areas they are good at :D . Yes he deserves a shot and I hope he does well but there are a lot of players on that who shouldn't be and a lot of neglected players due to him not knowing much about Waterford Gaa and yes he will swiftly learn but inter county doesn't give a man four years to get familiar and build a squad, they'll expect results.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

DLS was just randomly chosen as it was a team known for it in the past, it was used as an example as was Ardmore for being a small club.

Yes and the man you are referring to is Jason Ryan who I have played with before and am good friends with Jason. I believe however, he went to England when he was 17, got a Sport Science degree then a pe and biology degree and teached in England and coached Gaa whilst their, while playing Dual for London. When he returned to Ireland I played along side him for Waterford. In 2007 I believe after he got married he managed Clongeen to the county title in 2007 in Wexford. Key word, Wexford, and fair play to him he managed them to the county title then got the role as Wexford manager and the rest is history. If you'd like to congratulate him he teaches in Colaiste Cathail Naofa in Dungarvan. He was already an established coach at underage. And I do disagree with the fact he had to go to Clongeen for a managerial role, it just shows the lack of DLS working as a unit back then, if they got him involve in coaching the Adult set up (yes he did keep playing wth DLS til about 2012 when he tore his ACL) maybe ye'd be county champions.

That however is a good point, Jason Ryan is the best option for a football manager in Waterford but if he was too ever become manager a lot of ground would have to be made up to even tempt him. I do reckon he will manage Waterford football one day, but last he said he wanted to manage inter county hurling and a league of Ireland soccer side.

On another note that isn't stuck to boring transfer news and paying managers. While the current crop of players aren't too the highest standard skill wise I say waterford football in General will improve dramatically in the next decade. You have strong link from minor - u21 - Senior aswell as the junior an intermediate sides. The minors have a lot of strength and conditioning done so far at this Jimmy Payne training in Waterford, I think they have a match next week against WIT Freshers. From what I hear serious talent coming through with the likes of Conor Prunty, Michael Sweeney, David Looby, Paul Whelan too name a few all around 6ft 3/4, and more skillfull smaller players like Dylan Guiry and John Elsted. Waterford minors this year will actually be able to aerially compete in what has been the weakest area in recent years. I reckon they will dominate physically, I don't remember ye last time we had such huge minors. I say to be frank a minor Munster final in football is far more likely than hurling. We've Tipperary Quarter win that and your into a Semi Against either Tipp, Clare or Limerick with Cork and Kerry on the other side of the draw. If the minors of this year and last year are what Waterford would be like in the future they'll will be a serious team in the future.

When did I once say McGlinchey out :L I am aware he deserves a chance but as an ex player, managers from outside your own county lead to frustration within the squad and being unfamiliar with the best players within the county and benching players who should be starting due to lack of knowledge of that county's talent pool. It isn't exactly FFS where you have ratings and you can search for the players you want and see what areas they are good at :D . Yes he deserves a shot and I hope he does well but there are a lot of players on that who shouldn't be and a lot of neglected players due to him not knowing much about Waterford Gaa and yes he will swiftly learn but inter county doesn't give a man four years to get familiar and build a squad, they'll expect results.

Yet another pop at DLS from the Brickeys "sorry an example"
    Is it true you played for your county in football before??? I don't know where it was i heard that, i must of read it somewhere.
    Tell ya what, why dont you put your name forward!!! For either the footballers of DLS or Waterford or better still why not even write Jason Ryans Autobiography your on fire kid

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Alwaysdeise

Brian O'Halloran excellent today, huge workrate and was to be seen even in the halfback line picking up ball a number of times.Pa Walsh very solid and tidy, small but tough and rarely caught out in the air. Noelie solid as always and Tommy Connors put himself about and created space for others, Gavin Ok but needs to be sharper with clearances, Martin O'Neill tried hard and got a nice point but we struggled a bit midfield.Pauric brilliant on the frees,Mickey Kearney ,like Halloran, worked his socks off and could have had 2 goals on another day but seems to have a good burst of pace.Shane Bennett and Donie Breathnach very involved when introduced, both showed well for the ball and Donie got a nice point.

Negatives - Brick is a legend but not a forward
    Coughlan not an inter county full back , wish he was because we need one
    Jamie Nagle unlucky to be dropped as bar Tadhg Burke we don't have a better
    Right half back IMO
    Shane O'Sullivan pretty quiet, would have been nice to see a younger player
    tried in midfield this early in the season ,maybe Harney .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement