Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

there is also 12 senior clubs, there are 4 based in east waterford, rathg, dls, st saviours & gaultier. stradbally and killrossanty are mid waterford so my by reckoning there are 6 west, 2 mid and 4 east senior clubs....

rose tinted glasses are a fine thing indeed.... facts even better!!

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

there is also 12 senior clubs, there are 4 based in east waterford, rathg, dls, st saviours & gaultier. stradbally and killrossanty are mid waterford so my by reckoning there are 6 west, 2 mid and 4 east senior clubs....

rose tinted glasses are a fine thing indeed.... facts even better!!

I only did Geography up to the Inter Cert but not sure how you have Rathgormack as being in the East but Stradbally being in mid Waterford, Rathgormack is further West than Stradbally.

Am aware this sounds like the Wedding Present song "I'm from further North than you" ;).
    ... Or was it The Fall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

The handiest way to sort is to pick the best players. So instead of recommending a quota of players from an area in the County, how about naming people that merit inclusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

The handiest way to sort is to pick the best players. So instead of recommending a quota of players from an area in the County, how about naming people that merit inclusion?

Mountainlad, I say this with a fair degree of certainty, you need at least one eastern member on the managment team to get the best players involved.

I think this is a silly situation, but without one, you just don't get as many eastern players involved. As another poster highlighted, lads down that end of the county tend to be playing a lot more soccer and rugby. They will play football, but only if it's made attractive to them.

At the moment, it would appear that we'd require lads to commit to participating in a development squad based down in the far end of the county if they are to be considered for a minor squad. If you're asking him to quit playing in a well organised and competitive soccer or rugby league to attend training sessions, you may as well not bother asking - it's not going to happen. If you don't have at least one car going every week from that end of the county you can definitely forget about it.

At minor level, you've a different prospect. You're asking a lad to commit to probably 3-4 months of training to compete in a Munster championship. That's something tangible to get involved with.

We've seen it with the senior panel this year. A St Saviours selector gets involved and low and behold a DLS player ends up in the team for the first time in years, despite turning out consistently strong underage teams for the last 15 years or so. I wouldn't count the DLS players who moved to Stradbally as eastern players in this instance.

Fair enough I suppose, if they have the same in place for hurling when there was historically a lot of complaints from the west about similar problems in the past then I think its fair enough.

One thing though, are you sure there are interested bodies in the East? I known personally I wouldn't want to be involved in County level football at the minute as the resources they have had are a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Fair enough I suppose, if they have the same in place for hurling when there was historically a lot of complaints from the west about similar problems in the past then I think its fair enough.

One thing though, are you sure there are interested bodies in the East? I known personally I wouldn't want to be involved in County level football at the minute as the resources they have had are a joke.

All of the clubs have interested people, football people. Some more than others. I agree that I see it like the issues faced with hurling in the west years ago.

The challenge is that goodwill won't last forever. Many people carry the flag within a club or at county level for a few years, but without support many lose heart.

I know clubs like Gaultier and De La Salle both had significant numbers of parents who moved in from traditional football counties. Many of these got involved in coaching when they saw the state of the setups in Waterford.

In DLS in particular it was these new people moving in who got underage back going again. I think a some of them lost heart when they weren't getting equal treatment from the hurling section of the club and walked away. Those transfers to Stradbally I mentioned are an example. There are others too.

What is needed? A unifying figure to bring the interested parties together, harness the goodwill and come up with a co-ordinated plan. There isn't a need for huge budgets, but a little funding would go a long way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Deskjockey wrote: »
    I only did Geography up to the Inter Cert but not sure how you have Rathgormack as being in the East but Stradbally being in mid Waterford, Rathgormack is further West than Stradbally.

Am aware this sounds like the Wedding Present song "I'm from further North than you" ;).
    ... Or was it The Fall

n0 way is rathgormack more west than stradbally:eek:!!!!
    it is nearer carrick than dungarvan

if using the trafional dividing method of the river mahon....it is 1000% in the eadt

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Rumoured Fergal Hartley has stepped down as manager of Ballygunner today. Will Flynner get the gig??

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

They should entice colm bonner to manage them, he has ballyhale shamrocks playing great hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Best of luck to the Nire today. Would love to see them pull it off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

cul beag wrote: »
    Best of luck to the Nire today. Would love to see them pull it off.

Great start for them, can they keep it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

That's twice the keeper has messed up a short kick out, the second leading to the second goal.

All square after 21 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

The Nire have the winning of this if they just keep their heads but they're making life hard for themselves with some bad wides. Just got a second goal that they were lucky not to concede a free in. Any they've given away a penalty away, bloody hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭homeofhurling

They should entice colm bonner to manage them, he has ballyhale shamrocks playing great hurling

fat chance of that in all fairness why would he leave the best club side in the country and go to Ballygunner, nothing again Ballygunner thats like leaving Chelsea to take over Hull city

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Patrick Curran had brilliant game for ucc freshers tonight in the all ireland league win v ul
    Won some amount of ball in the air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

Patrick Curran had brilliant game for ucc freshers tonight in the all ireland league win v ul
    Won some amount of ball in the air.

He is a fantastic player - always seems to have time and get a shot away, so accurate as well

Slobbery wrote: »
    He is a fantastic player - always seems to have time and get a shot away, so accurate as well

He got some scores from some angles and distance, two different men could not hold him.
    Unfortunately he may lack good coaching depending on who is 21 manager???to develop further

He won't improve much in the current senior set up as by all accounts anything I hear the senior set is very poor and all is not right down there

He has real chance winning with ucc and peter Cody in ucc set up at least he has one set up with good coach.
    Imo Curran is so good I'd him on the fitzgibbon cup team starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 cookey123

He is an exceptional talent to be fair, very similar to Eoin Kelly in regards style of play, not blessed with lightning pace but he is by no means slow. Has developed his game to compensate for this and a nightmare to mark as he has so many strings to his bow. Not being on the senior panel this year is an excellent decision on his part as he also needs time to enjoy being a teenager.
    To be fair JOCser is an excellent coach who will also assist his development.

cookey123 wrote: »
    He is an exceptional talent to be fair, very similar to Eoin Kelly in regards style of play, not blessed with lightning pace but he is by no means slow. Has developed his game to compensate for this and a nightmare to mark as he has so many strings to his bow. Not being on the senior panel this year is an excellent decision on his part as he also needs time to enjoy being a teenager.
    To be fair JOCser is an excellent coach who will also assist his development.
    Who is the 21 Coach???

• Registered Users Posts: 44 cookey123

I could be wrong but is that not part of Finton O Connors remit, it could be said Derick McGrath due to the youth fullness of the senior panel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 brickeyvalley

I have often read this website but I have only now decided to add in my mouthful due to it involving my club and some of the Brickey Rangers (my club) minors. While yes eastwestlad makes a valid point I think that he takes it too far in a sense. To my knowledge I believe clubs were sent a text about Minor football and I think I could had clarity to the matter. While yes some of our players that could be on the county football panel aren't is down too simple reasons:
    1)School being the first reason, two of them mentioned are doing Deise study after school.
    2) They were already training twice a week with the intermediate football team, now senior.
    3) Were still in the div 2 Minor hurling.
    While I admire eastwestlad's admiration of some of our players I think it clearly comes down to time-management. Alot of our members play additional sports such as: rugby and soccer. Roughly back around when the text came one of our players would of been, training twice a week intermediate football, once a week minor hurling, once a week youth soccer and maybe even gym once a week aswell as three matches at the weekend.

This even shows that players are being burnt out and I say throwing additional county training on top of that would send lads into overload, riddled with injuries.
    Carthach Barry - On top of a leaving cert and now senior football, minor football and county minor hurling it just comes down to time management and needing rest.
    Paul Whelan - Leaving Cert, Senior football, Minor football and soccer. Again comes down to time management and needing rest.
    Maurice Daly - While he is in fourth year Maurice has First year senior football, minor football and Munster Rugby
    Same thing, time management and need rest
    Cathal Curran - first year senior football, minor football, county minor hurling
    Same thing, time management and need rest
    While they are all capable of playing county minor football people must remember they are amateurs. They are not getting payed to play. I am sure that when minor football gets underway if they are clear standouts Tim Lenihan and his backroom staff will notice them. I don't know if they were told about the training, they may of or may not of been I would have to ask but I did hear courty only told four about it. But they have Feb - April as does every player in the county to perform.

There are other good players in the county, while there is more talent in the west I say some in the east will make the panel and are on the panel. The likes of Dan Booth (Naomh Brid/St. Pats) Mikey Phelan (St. Oliver's) Aidan Kirwan (Dungarvan) Sean Crotty (Dungarvan), James Kennedy (Ardmore) and John Curran (Dungarvan)too name a few.

I don't think eastwestlad ment they have to play div 1 football in order to play county but looking from last years team from one game the majority are div 1 players: (aswell as been pulled from only a few clubs)
    1) Kevin Dwane - Balinacourty (Div 1)
    2) Kieran O' Neill - Brickey Rangers (Div 1)
    3) Jack Guiry - The Nire (Div 1)
    4) Michael Cronin - Ardmore ( Div 2)
    ( However Donnacha Kirwan was no. 4, but lost his place to Cronin - Dungarvan (Div 1)
    5) Jack Mullaney - Stradbally (Div 1)
    6) Edmon O' Halloran - Clashmore (Div 2)
    7) Michael Shine - St. Oliver's (Div 2)
    8) Cormac Curran - Brickey Rangers (Div 1)
    9) Conor Prunty - Balinacourty
    (Div 1)
    10) Dylan Guiry - The Nire (Div 1)
    11) Conor Murray - Rathgormack (Div 2)
    12) Aaron Donnelly - Dungarvan
    (Div 1)
    13) Joe Allen - Dungarvan - (Div 1)
    14) Conor Gleeson - The Nire (Div 1)
    15) Darragh Lyons - Dungarvan
    (Div 1)
    That was a starting team from this years minor with the bench being comprimised of div 1 aswell. I don't think that you have to be div 1, teams like Dungarvan, Balinacourty are expected to have a lot of players due to the population but if you look at most div 1 teams they mostly contain county players, I'll uses the current Brickey minor team as example: (in no particular order)
    Michael O' Dwyer
    Conor Whelan (dual county u16)
    Jordan Whelan Veale (county football u16/17)
    Dylan O'Donavan (dual county u16)
    Darragh O' Grady
    Mark Mulvhill
    John Blackwell
    James Cotter (county football u16/17)
    Darragh Herihily
    Carthach Barry (county hurling u18)
    Cathal Curran (county hurling u16/17)
    Paul Whelan
    Maurice Daly (county football u16)
    Mark Whelan
    Ryan O' Neill (county football u17/18)
    Mark Mulvhill

That is the example from my club and is probably similar throughout div 1 minor.

On the comment about Cormac Dwyer, as much as I don't wish to confirm or deny it, I say it's safe to say he is one of the most skilled footballers in minor in not only Waterford but Munster. Him playing county falls to his own determination I say eastwestlad says that these players needed to be brought or convinced to play? I am surprised that Dwyer, Aidan Kirwan, Sean Crotty, John Curran aren't on the panel but as always the team that starts around this time is nowhere near the team that will play in April. Players will be dropped others will be brought up.

I have a fair idea who eastwestlad is but he isn't completely off the ball, but he has probably mainly seen players in div 1 that courty play like is and wonder why they aren't on the panel. Not really reasoning as explained above. Waterford have a great chance and while some clubs didn't inform players I think I even read that it was on in the paper, just boils down to determination and want.

Hopefully this clears up some of it.

Looking at those teams, last year's team was strong from what I know of it. Do ye reckon this year's team could be as strong?

Few of ye might sleep easy tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Ballyvoile Boy

Good man Mountainlad, I said Tim Lenihan was a good lad to get this panel pulled together. Now there can surely be no more cribbing (I say naively), as every eligible player is welcome to come along. Not a bad idea to have a fully public trial, club committees who choose to pass on word to only the select few are bypassed that way and every lad gets a chance to be looked at.

The next campaign will begin when some lad or lads that were looked at are not included in the final panel, because they didn't impress enough on the day.

Let that be an end to it after that and get behind the panel, team and management for their preparations for next year. They have already done a bit, so lets back them up and hopefully the management will prove to be tactically astute both before and on match days - remains to be seen. I don't know if this year's minors are as strong as the previous 2 years, but hopefully they'll do well. There will inevitably be some players who are good enough to be dual minors and that could be where it gets difficult in 2015.

Sorry to anyone who doesn't have a Facebook account, but Donie Breathnach has a few admirers over at the Benchwarmers.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=626398580803920&set=vb.106356299474820&type=2&theater

Edit: Actually it's public, anyone can watch.

Sorry to anyone who doesn't have a Facebook account, but Donie Breathnach has a few admirers over at the Benchwarmers.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=626398580803920&set=vb.106356299474820&type=2&theater

Who is current Waterford u21 hurling manager please

Who is current Waterford u21 hurling manager please

Was that not answered yesterday?

The talk was that Fintan O'Connor was going to be ratified as selector with the Senior hurlers and would take the job as u21 manager as well. 3 weeks later he was ratified at the county board meeting (November's I think) but I didn't hear in full whether he was u21 manager as well.

I assume he is but can't confirm.

Was that not answered yesterday?

The talk was that Fintan O'Connor was going to be ratified as selector with the Senior hurlers and would take the job as u21 manager as well. 3 weeks later he was ratified at the county board meeting (November's I think) but I didn't hear in full whether he was u21 manager as well.

I assume he is but can't confirm.

That's why I asked again as so much confusion regards it

Thanks for that

I know he won with cappoquin but that's all

Is he proven coach In others clubs

That's why I asked again as so much confusion regards it

Thanks for that

I know he won with cappoquin but that's all

Is he proven coach In others clubs
    Originally a rugby coach, has been teaching in Blackwater for a good while now where I think he started coaching hurling teams. Was brought in to coach Fourmilewater in 2010 when Mossy Carroll wasn't able to continue halfway through the year. They made the quarters but ended up being bet well by Passage. They made them again in 2011 but just didn't produce until too late against Ballygunner. And then 2012 lost to Dungarvan in the semi blowing a big chance.

His final year was last year which had a bad finish being hammered by Abbeyside. To be fair, up until then they were improving every year.

He's also managing Cappoquin this year. He's fairly young, learning all the time and would know a fair few of the Western lads from Blackwater. Would say he'd be a good appointment for the 21s and think it's a good idea to be involved with the Seniors then to have more time with them, but reckon he might be a bit inexperienced to be sole Waterford Senior coach if that's his role.

And to add to that, as 3ships mentioned, he was involved this year with Bonnar in WIT when they won the Fitzgibbon. In what capacity, I am not sure. Think he is secretary of the post primary schools Munster GAA as well, saw a picture of him presenting the cup to the Dean Rice winning captain (was it Middleton?).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

That was class.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement