Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 leerushon

What's the latest on the Waterford Senior Football Management.

Have they all selectors in place ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 logbox

leerushon wrote: »
    What's the latest on the Waterford Senior Football Management.

Have they all selectors in place ?

Tony Corcoran of St. Saviours and Ger Power of Rathgormack will be the selectors with Tom Mc Glinchey.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 leerushon

Thanks. A good team with him. Hopefully they can gain promotion outta Division 4.

Do you know who is the Team Secretary ?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Listening to Tom Cunningham there on WLR.
    Looks like 3mobile are on board again for 2 years with incentives on performance of all teams.
    Apparently the hurlers will have a run out tomorrow v Galway before the Wexford game Sunday. Two different teams expected so we should have an idea of the make up of the panel then. There will prob be a couple missing due various and club finals.
    Chairman Tom also thanked various media for coverage, namely WLR and Phil Fanning tho no mention of Boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

3ships wrote: »
    Listening to Tom Cunningham there on WLR.
    Looks like 3mobile are on board again for 2 years with incentives on performance of all teams.
    Apparently the hurlers will have a run out tomorrow v Galway before the Wexford game Sunday. Two different teams expected so we should have an idea of the make up of the panel then. There will prob be a couple missing due various and club finals.
    Chairman Tom also thanked various media for coverage, namely WLR and Phil Fanning tho no mention of Boards.ie

Again? :mad:

• Advertisement

Unbelievable result in Club Intermediate QF

Kilburn 1-10 Mullinavat 1-8

Thought that would mean Cappoquin now favorites tho
    Paddy Power have taken down the betting on the outright, I'm sure its anyones guess now.

Best of Luck to Modeligo

Great to see O'Halloran involved. While I wouldn't read into performances in December it's still also good to see Connors and O'Neill back in there and playing well. What's the story with the two Colligan lads? Seems a bit from left field?

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

He got some scores from some angles and distance, two different men could not hold him.
    Unfortunately he may lack good coaching depending on who is 21 manager???to develop further

He won't improve much in the current senior set up as by all accounts anything I hear the senior set is very poor and all is not right down there

He has real chance winning with ucc and peter Cody in ucc set up at least he has one set up with good coach.
    Imo Curran is so good I'd him on the fitzgibbon cup team starting.

Why do you think he hasn't made himself available for the senior set up! You're right that he won't improve in the current set up but he definitely will under the like of Ger Cunningham next year while playing Fitzgibbon cup.

How low have we stooped fundraising for our seniors that we are being asked to buy €10 tickets for what are 3 challenge matches? I have never seen anything like it- fellas being approached in pubs to buy them and people that are part of the management team sitting in the same pub,intoxicated,collecting the takings. Is this what it has come to? It is so farcical it is beyond belief. The players last year were selling lines to predict the score in certain games and now this? It's an embarrassment both inside and outside the county. Through work I was in the heart of hurling country in Cork during the week and all I could do was laugh when,the discussion invariably turned to hurling and the Waterford set up,he said that his club would have no problem making their centre available for a cake sale to raise a few more quid for us down here! The problem is there is so much wrong its hard to know where to start I just hope the new incoming chairman will eventually get it sorted. He has done before!

Anyone going today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Anyone going today?

Venue and time?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

cul beag wrote: »
    Why do you think he hasn't made himself available for the senior set up! You're right that he won't improve in the current set up but he definitely will under the like of Ger Cunningham next year while playing Fitzgibbon cup.

How low have we stooped fundraising for our seniors that we are being asked to buy €10 tickets for what are 3 challenge matches? I have never seen anything like it- fellas being approached in pubs to buy them and people that are part of the management team sitting in the same pub,intoxicated,collecting the takings. Is this what it has come to? It is so farcical it is beyond belief. The players last year were selling lines to predict the score in certain games and now this? It's an embarrassment both inside and outside the county. Through work I was in the heart of hurling country in Cork during the week and all I could do was laugh when,the discussion invariably turned to hurling and the Waterford set up,he said that his club would have no problem making their centre available for a cake sale to raise a few more quid for us down here! The problem is there is so much wrong its hard to know where to start I just hope the new incoming chairman will eventually get it sorted. He has done before!
    Frank flannery left said it all for me

Hugely regarded coach in cork

Now I won't say more yet but just see where flannery next coaching gig may take him
    I don't think work commitments was problem for him
    Huge problems in Waterford I heard
    I geuinely sympathise as similar cork football we have management set up that way off what's required at elite level
    I don't fear Waterford senior hurling at all next year
    Cork should win it handy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

Frank flannery left said it all for me

Hugely regarded coach in cork

Now I won't say more yet but just see where flannery next coaching gig may take him
    I don't think work commitments was problem for him
    Huge problems in Waterford I heard
    I geuinely sympathise as similar cork football we have management set up that way off what's required at elite level
    I don't fear Waterford senior hurling at all next year
    Cork should win it handy

It will be Tipp, Limerick and Clare fighting for honours this year in Munster I think.

Unfortunately waterford are propping up the pile, the only team we could beat on a good day would be Cork, but I can't see it happening.
    Strange to say after cork won munster last year but the way the season ended for them last year I think it was just a huge body blow

tonc76 wrote: »
    Venue and time?

Walsh Park 2pm. €5 on the gate

Best of luck to Modeligo today.

Slobbery wrote: »
    It will be Tipp, Limerick and Clare fighting for honours this year in Munster I think.

Unfortunately waterford are propping up the pile, the only team we could beat on a good day would be Cork, but I can't see it happening.
    Strange to say after cork won munster last year but the way the season ended for them last year I think it was just a huge body blow
    I think Waterford got cork cold in the ist game and still could not win and replay showed the difference

For all cork concerns regards tactical awareness jbm has more Derek mcgrath and has unity and belief in panel

What happened against tipp was dissaster in match ups and playing Shane o Neill at full back and I blames management totally that loss

Key is while landers is unproven he's fresh voice new ideas

He remains to be tested

But while concerns regards cork against clare kilkenny etc I have no fear v Waterford
    In Cahalane will be three Walsh year pure hurling done and pa callaghan could be there, Ellis be more expierence so spine team be more solid and cork will win that game

Last year was ist game v cork and there's always energy in new set up
    But when that fades management really tested
    Next year be second year under mcgrath and it looks like could be long year them
    I hope he stays in good for cork
    Ideally for Waterford would be poor league he was let go and then backs to wall performance v cork

But hard see how Waterford can improve when the calibre maher and flannery left and we're not replaced with such calibre and cull of key key players

Remains to be seen how good cork is but not huge blow if managed right in landers if he's good add to set up,and we have least three new players could make huge difference next year

Getting munster final imo cork will do, hope we loose the final
    Our championship is then three games only then to win all irelands
    Draw has been kind so we were lucky so once realise mistakes tactical mismatch v tippeary cork can rectify them

I think Waterford got cork cold in the ist game and still could not win and replay showed the difference

For all cork concerns regards tactical awareness jbm has more Derek mcgrath and has unity and belief in panel

What happened against tipp was dissaster in match ups and playing Shane o Neill at full back and I blames management totally that loss

Key is while landers is unproven he's fresh voice new ideas

He remains to be tested

But while concerns regards cork against clare kilkenny etc I have no fear v Waterford
    In Cahalane will be three Walsh year pure hurling done and pa callaghan could be there, Ellis be more expierence so spine team be more solid and cork will win that game

Last year was ist game v cork and there's always energy in new set up
    But when that fades management really tested
    Next year be second year under mcgrath and it looks like could be long year them
    I hope he stays in good for cork
    Ideally for Waterford would be poor league he was let go and then backs to wall performance v cork

But hard see how Waterford can improve when the calibre maher and flannery left and we're not replaced with such calibre and cull of key key players

Remains to be seen how good cork is but not huge blow if managed right in landers if he's good add to set up,and we have least three new players could make huge difference next year

Getting munster final imo cork will do, hope we loose the final
    Our championship is then three games only then to win all irelands
    Draw has been kind so we were lucky so once realise mistakes tactical mismatch v tippeary cork can rectify them

Ya it seems to be devastation stuff in waterford at the moment, this time last year we were basking in the minor glory with a new fresh management panel used to dealing with young up and coming players... Looks at us now.
    We have a manager who plays a system that we don't have the players to carry out. Truth be told we just don't have the quality of forwards required. The colleges scene not looking good either.. It is devastation.

Cork showed huge improvement at times last year it has to be said, it is a big bonus for the guys opting for hurling and it can only improve them.
    Saying that I have watched cahalane since minor and I dont think he is good enough, just my opinion on him, Stephen Mcdonnell had a fine year last year but some thing about him I don't trust, too casual for my liking as could be seen from incidents in the semi (Tipp) and in the county final. I thought walsh was very good last year how much more can he improve? Kearney excellent as well can't be much more improvement in him.
    Lehane if he can add consistency to his shooting is lethal, he can score ten points or hit ten wides it seems, but again he is one that can defo improve - another one I have watched since minor and I would have considered him much more accurate as a young player.
    Inside Luke o Farrell back don't rate him that highly, can't see him taking on jackie tyrell and getting a belt. Cadogan had a nice intro to senior inter county, huge potential but would like to see him out against mickie Cahill or young Barrett from tipp and see how he goes.
    Hoggie is my favorite hurler in Ireland to watch, some wrists I will take the spin to cork to see him train over the summer, something I intended on doing this year. I think he is reminiscent of Flynn.

Certainly cork have the making of a fine side and can be contenders, but too many question marks for me.

I think this will be a big winter for hurling, Tipp, Clare, Cork, linerick will be looking at what is going on in kilkenny and will have ravenous appetite for work for next year

Unbelievable result in Club Intermediate QF

Kilburn 1-10 Mullinavat 1-8

Thought that would mean Cappoquin now favorites tho
    Paddy Power have taken down the betting on the outright, I'm sure its anyones guess now.

Best of Luck to Modeligo

Kilburn Geals are loaded with guys who would be playing senior club if they were at home, no clear favorite now I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Cake Man

1-11 to 0-13 to Wx at ht.

Team is
    Sok
    Noelie
    Barry Coughlan
    Shane McNulty
    Moran
    Brick
    Mark O Brien
    SOS
    MON
    DJ Foran
    Paudie
    Cormac Curran
    Brian O Halloran
    Jake
    Thomas Connors

Paudie best on show with some good points.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Modeligo on fire today. 5-10 to 0-12 ahead with about 5 mins left

KevIRL wrote: »
    Modeligo on fire today. 5-10 to 0-12 ahead with about 5 mins left

5-12 to 0-14 full time. Very well done to all concerned

• Advertisement

Wx 1-20 wat 0-19 ft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

KevIRL wrote: »
    Wx 1-20 wat 0-19 ft

What style of hurling were we playing. Same as last year or any changes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Throw Tom Devine on the edge of the square and hit route 1 into him all year. F*ck the sweeper system :)

Congratulations to Mondlifgo brilliant brilliant win for them hope they win all ireland

O Donovan imperious today as sweeper sublime
    Had five goals in truth cork been eight
    Totally unexpected results
    They done Waterford proud.

Well done Modeligo, certainly did the county proud!

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Alf Tupper

Absolutely brilliant to see Modeligo and Cappoquin as provincial champions.

Proof of the standard of club hurling in Waterford and hopefully a rising tide will lift all boats and this will be reflected in the near future at inter-county level.

Heartiest congratulations also to Andy Moloney. Brilliant to see him at the helm for Ballyhale Shamrocks in their win today.

A great end to the year for Andy, especially in light of the way the season started out for him.

Proof once again that a prophet is never respected in his hometown.

Brilliant to see a Waterford interest at all levels in the All Ireland club series.

Deise Abu!!

Wexford 1-20 Waterford 0-20

There was probably about the same amount of people at this match as mass that morning, maybe praying for a different style of play but to no avail. There was lone FF, withdrawn corners, no goal threat, long range shooting, ponderous in possession. Some individuals done alright, a lot looked like they played yesterday, well they did.

It was not great, tho I did enjoy the fresh air, the hurling chat and the chance to knock off cobwebs from a night out. The game descended into farce mid way thru the second half when SOK and I think Podge Doran were sent to line for an off the ball incident which I didn't see. Hilariously Waterford had no sub keeper so the Wexford sub keeper came to the rescue and filled in, he done alright as well!! There was several changes made soon after with 4 coming on and 3 coming off each team, leaving it 15 v 15 again, say nothing boy!!
    Waterford started with many changes from the printed team. Brick wearing 12 and Moran wearing 10 were half back. Austin Gleeson was named 6 but there was no sign, a pity cause he would have brought a bit of quality to it. Anyway Dummy teams in December eh!!
    Most of the scores came from Paudie Mahony, there were hardly any memorable, well worked scores, Jake Dillon got a good one from his best position at FF but spent a lot of time out the pitch to no real effect. DJ Foran had decent possesion tho could'nt score, at least looked a threat. Coughlan and Connors at back did ok. The Wexford goal came from SOK trying to save a point and the ball dropping nicely to Jack Guiney. It may have been the difference on the scoreboard but in truth Wexford were just better, allowing for players available, their style of play just trumped ours.

In addition to the team named above, the subs were: Eoin Madigan (Roanmore), Tommy Waring (Erin's Own) - scored a point, an other wearing 24 not listed and not announced !! , could have been Paudie Prender but didn't hit the ball so couldn't tell. 2 subs done well I thought, Eamonn Power and Michael Harney. They won good ball but typically of this management's philosophy, they seemed very unsure of what to do with it when they had it. That summed it up really.

Slobbery wrote: »
    Kilburn Geals are loaded with guys who would be playing senior club if they were at home, no clear favorite now I think

I was suprised anyway, and so were the bookies. Modeligo away in Birmingham next month in the QF so let's hope that doesn't happen again.

Who is Waring and what club does Eamon Power play for. Good to see Harney playing, don't remember seeing his name in that independent articl two months ago.

• Advertisement

Who is Waring and what club does Eamon Power play for. Good to see Harney playing, don't remember seeing his name in that independent articl two months ago.

Don't know Waring or the Colligan lads yesterday. Eamonn Power is Roanmore, starred in their U21 run this year. Harney looked to have a bit about him, good to see him in there. Cormac curran looked ok too won a bit of ball brought what you'd expect from him

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement