Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Modeligo 5-12 Castlemartyr 0-14

Modeligo gave a very impressive performance in coasting to victory over prematch favourites Castlemartyr in the Munster Club Junior Hurling Championship final in Mallow today.

Modeligo dominated this game in all sectors and could well have won even more comfortably. Their defence, and especially their fullback line, were outstanding and never gave the Castlemartyr forwards a sniff of a goal. Castlemartyr’s starting forward line scored just two points from play. Ten of their points came from frees, nine of them scored by corner forward Barry Lawton. Most of the frees were conceded out the field, with the Modeligo defence making very few concessions close to goal.

By contrast, five of Modeligo’s starting forwards scored 5-9 between them, with Jamie Troy adding three points from frees. It may seem surprising that they have their best player, Tom Devine, playing at full forward, but you can’t argue with the fact that he scored two goals and set up two more. I always thought that Waterford should have played Ken McGrath at full forward for the same reason.

The game was played on a bright but cold day on a reasonably good pitch for the time of year, although the strong low sun caused some problems for the players in the first half.

The opening exchanges were pretty even, but Modeligo drove the first nail into the Castlemartyr coffin after 12 minutes when Tom Devine’s handpass sent corner forward Michael Troy in on goal and he finished beautifully to the corner of the net off his hurley. A few minutes later Devine seized on a loose ball 20 metres out to run through and finish expertly to the net. About ten minutes later Devine was again the creator, when he appeared to lose possession under pressure from his marker but managed to get the ball across the goalmouth where Michael Troy was again in position to blast to the net. Half-time score: Modeligo 3-6 Castlemartyr 0-6.

Castlemartyr upped their game considerably at the start of the second half and, taking over around the centre of the field, reeled off four points in a row to reduce the deficit to five points. A Castlemartyr goal at this stage, and anything could have happened. Instead, it was Modeligo who seized the opportunity to drive yet another nail into the Corkmen’s coffin. Under pressure on the right, a Modeligo player managed to bat the ball upwards to the edge of the Castlemartyr square. Here, another Modeligo player (sorry I don’t have the names) made contact but the goalie managed to knock the ball down across the goal, only for Jamie Troy to beat his marker to the loose ball and get it over the line.

Castlemartyr continued to win good possession and went looking for goals to get them back into the game. They did manage to create a few openings, but these were quickly closed off by the alert Modeligo defence so that Donal O’Keeffe in goal never got a shot to save in the whole game. With ten minutes to go it was all up for Castlemartyr when Tom Devine, who had moved out to the half line, ran on to Jamie Troy’s excellent pass to accelerate past the defence and blast an unstoppable shot to the net. After that, Modeligo were able to empty their bench to give the maximum number of players experience of playing in a Munster final.

I would say that, overall, Modeligo looked better balanced and were better hurlers than Ballysaggart last year – and, of course, they had their own Stephen Bennett in the shape of Tom Devine. There has been mention on this board that he is being looked at as a possible future fullback for the county seniors, but on the basis of the evidence here and in previous games, full forward may be a better option. His combination of size, strength, mobility, skill and temperament is quite formidable.

Fair dues also to coach Pa Kearney who had his charges in fine fettle today. While they did make mistakes and lost their shape at times, their touch was generally excellent, they dominated the physical exchanges, their interplay was excellent and they certainly were up for the game.

Modeligo next play Fullen Gaels from Manchester in the All-Ireland quarter-final at an English venue in January. Fullen Gaels won the All-Britain Junior Hurling Championship three times in a row between 2010-2012, and only lost the All-Ireland final to Thomastown of Kilkenny by three points (2-17 to 2-14) in 2013. With Kilburn of London beating Mullinavat in the intermediate quarter-final last Saturday, clearly the top English teams cannot be taken lightly at this level and I am sure Modeligo will be well-prepared for this challenge.

Modeligo: Donal O’Keeffe; John McGrath; Brian McCarthy; Robbie Buckley; Shane Troy; Pat Fitzgerald; Seán O’Donovan; Pat O’Donovan (0-1); Thomas Walsh; Kieran McCarthy (0-3); Jamie Troy (1-7, 4 frees); Nicky O’Donovan (0-1); Michael Troy (2-1); Tom Devine (2-0); Patrick Walsh.

Castlemartyr: Éanna McGovern; Oliver Smiddy; Robert O’Donovan; Eoin Ronayne; Donncha Ó Tuama; Brian Smiddy; Adrian Bowens; Brian Ó Tuama (0-1); Barra Ó Tuama; Damien McAuliffe; Brian Lawton (0-1); Jamie Stack (0-1, free); Cian Haines; Mike O’Neill; Barry Lawton (0-10, 8 frees, 1 65). Sub: Eddie Clifford (0-1)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Waring is from Erin's Own according to the team sheet. Didn't even realise Harney was playing, his name wasn't down on the subs for the team sheet and numbers were all over the place. They didn't even announce substitutions after ht.
    Not sure why SOK got a straight red, must have been an off the ball incident but not having a sub keeper was embarrassing!
    Agree with previous poster who said Wexford were that bit better than us, they used the ball and moved it around better. Although it was a nothing game and given the time of year, it was still disappointing to see many players not up to much and the lack of goal scoring opportunities (or scoring opportunities in general) still seems to be lacking. Paudie was our best on show and must have got at least 0-14 of that 0-20. First touch and striking was dire but again the time of the year can excuse that.

Is it Dublin next Sunday in Dungarvan?

Also well done to Modeligo, fantastic achievement for the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

3ships wrote: »
    Wexford 1-20 Waterford 0-20

There was probably about the same amount of people at this match as mass that morning, maybe praying for a different style of play but to no avail. There was lone FF, withdrawn corners, no goal threat, long range shooting, ponderous in possession.

Ah feck. Another frustrating year ahead then.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Ah feck. Another frustrating year ahead then.

Hopefully not, early days, but the shape was very familiar.
    Prob have a look at the other 2 games just to see who else is there and will they try something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Is it Dublin next Sunday in Dungarvan?

Friday night 8pm carraignore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭It makes sense

Giveitfong wrote: »
    Modeligo 5-12 Castlemartyr 0-14

Modeligo gave a very impressive performance in coasting to victory over prematch favourites Castlemartyr in the Munster Club Junior Hurling Championship final in Mallow today.

Modeligo dominated this game in all sectors and could well have won even more comfortably. Their defence, and especially their fullback line, were outstanding and never gave the Castlemartyr forwards a sniff of a goal. Castlemartyr’s starting forward line scored just two points from play. Ten of their points came from frees, nine of them scored by corner forward Barry Lawton. Most of the frees were conceded out the field, with the Modeligo defence making very few concessions close to goal.

By contrast, five of Modeligo’s starting forwards scored 5-9 between them, with Jamie Troy adding three points from frees. It may seem surprising that they have their best player, Tom Devine, playing at full forward, but you can’t argue with the fact that he scored two goals and set up two more. I always thought that Waterford should have played Ken McGrath at full forward for the same reason.

The game was played on a bright but cold day on a reasonably good pitch for the time of year, although the strong low sun caused some problems for the players in the first half.

The opening exchanges were pretty even, but Modeligo drove the first nail into the Castlemartyr coffin after 12 minutes when Tom Devine’s handpass sent corner forward Michael Troy in on goal and he finished beautifully to the corner of the net off his hurley. A few minutes later Devine seized on a loose ball 20 metres out to run through and finish expertly to the net. About ten minutes later Devine was again the creator, when he appeared to lose possession under pressure from his marker but managed to get the ball across the goalmouth where Michael Troy was again in position to blast to the net. Half-time score: Modeligo 3-6 Castlemartyr 0-6.

Castlemartyr upped their game considerably at the start of the second half and, taking over around the centre of the field, reeled off four points in a row to reduce the deficit to five points. A Castlemartyr goal at this stage, and anything could have happened. Instead, it was Modeligo who seized the opportunity to drive yet another nail into the Corkmen’s coffin. Under pressure on the right, a Modeligo player managed to bat the ball upwards to the edge of the Castlemartyr square. Here, another Modeligo player (sorry I don’t have the names) made contact but the goalie managed to knock the ball down across the goal, only for Jamie Troy to beat his marker to the loose ball and get it over the line.

Castlemartyr continued to win good possession and went looking for goals to get them back into the game. They did manage to create a few openings, but these were quickly closed off by the alert Modeligo defence so that Donal O’Keeffe in goal never got a shot to save in the whole game. With ten minutes to go it was all up for Castlemartyr when Tom Devine, who had moved out to the half line, ran on to Jamie Troy’s excellent pass to accelerate past the defence and blast an unstoppable shot to the net. After that, Modeligo were able to empty their bench to give the maximum number of players experience of playing in a Munster final.

I would say that, overall, Modeligo looked better balanced and were better hurlers than Ballysaggart last year – and, of course, they had their own Stephen Bennett in the shape of Tom Devine. There has been mention on this board that he is being looked at as a possible future fullback for the county seniors, but on the basis of the evidence here and in previous games, full forward may be a better option. His combination of size, strength, mobility, skill and temperament is quite formidable.

Fair dues also to coach Pa Kearney who had his charges in fine fettle today. While they did make mistakes and lost their shape at times, their touch was generally excellent, they dominated the physical exchanges, their interplay was excellent and they certainly were up for the game.

Modeligo next play Fullen Gaels from Manchester in the All-Ireland quarter-final at an English venue in January. Fullen Gaels won the All-Britain Junior Hurling Championship three times in a row between 2010-2012, and only lost the All-Ireland final to Thomastown of Kilkenny by three points (2-17 to 2-14) in 2013. With Kilburn of London beating Mullinavat in the intermediate quarter-final last Saturday, clearly the top English teams cannot be taken lightly at this level and I am sure Modeligo will be well-prepared for this challenge.

Modeligo: Donal O’Keeffe; John McGrath; Brian McCarthy; Robbie Buckley; Shane Troy; Pat Fitzgerald; Seán O’Donovan; Pat O’Donovan (0-1); Thomas Walsh; Kieran McCarthy (0-3); Jamie Troy (1-7, 4 frees); Nicky O’Donovan (0-1); Michael Troy (2-1); Tom Devine (2-0); Patrick Walsh.

Castlemartyr: Éanna McGovern; Oliver Smiddy; Robert O’Donovan; Eoin Ronayne; Donncha Ó Tuama; Brian Smiddy; Adrian Bowens; Brian Ó Tuama (0-1); Barra Ó Tuama; Damien McAuliffe; Brian Lawton (0-1); Jamie Stack (0-1, free); Cian Haines; Mike O’Neill; Barry Lawton (0-10, 8 frees, 1 65). Sub: Eddie Clifford (0-1)

Fair dues was at match today supporting east cork boys but Waterford lads very impressive all round hope they go far

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DeiseDawg

No sub goalie today. Imagine Brian Cody asking tipp for a keeper in a challenge game where supporters had paid to get in. I think not. Where is Derek mcgrath taking us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Ken McGrath Mount Sion senior manager for 2015. Great to see, wish him the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 cookey123

I was at the western junior final and from what I saw that day how 2 colligan defenders can be getting game time for Waterford is somewhat confusing and disheartening.
    There are fella's playing senior hurling who would be far better defenders and options then the 2 players referenced by Thomas McCarthy but they dont seem to be getting a look in which is unfair in my view.
    You cant tell me that they would be better the Jamie Nagle for example or any of the other Dungarvan defenders?
    Defenders from Ballyduff, Lismore and Tallow are far superior to those 2 players yet between the 3 clubs there is 4 at most (open to correction on this), this is quiet confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

Delighted to see John Morrissey of colligan get rewarded for his very good year for Colligan, serious hurler, wonderfull ability, and is in some shape, i have to disagree with the above poster, no problem with these lads getting a run, have to try something else, its not as if they are starting v tipp in a munster final, its a challenge game v whoever in December, DECEMBER, so relax and stop being negative,if you find on gem, then its worth it, if they can set this lad up and keep him training they'll at the very least get some serious attitude and good hurling, but the likes of the above comment would sicken your ****e, has to be better in dungarvan, lismore and tallow, Why?, sure they will have alot better spread of hurlers, in fact they will have about two or three teams that would beat Colligan[Maybe two], but this lad won't lie down, he might never make it, but things don't change unless you do something different, and you'll probably find that poster will dismiss Modeligo's players in the same right , outside of Tom Devine, but there is a donovan lad who plays full forward[did not yesterday, was in the corner], who is a serious hurler, and to me if the ball runs right is at least as good as anything on the Panel last year...., but sure he's only from Modeligo, PAH FOOTBALLERS.

• Advertisement

I take your point and yes you may be right but I was going off my own observation of the 2 players mentioned above which was in 2 games versus modeligo earlier in the Junior Champ and in the final in which they definatley did not stand out in contrast to the example you gave of Tom Devine who it was clear to see was a class above. I have no problem with players from Junior or Intermediate teams getting game time, what I was trying to say was that players have been dropped or over looked who are superior to those players in my view but I will balance this with my knowledge and observation of these 2 players is limited to 2 games I have seen them play. The example of Micheal Harney playing against Wexford is fantastic as I believe he has great potential with his ball winning ability and attitude, ill refer to the county Junior final where he was one of the stand out performers on the field despite his team being well and truly beaten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

There is a serious increase in standard of junior hurling if waterford teams are bearing cork junior A sides, nevermind what happened yesterday.

The west intermediate hurling championship has never been as close and it has to be the most competitive championship in the county.

Only four western clubs in the junior grade now and of those Clashmore and colligan could easily be intermediate and compete.

Traditionally junior hurling teams like Modeligo, ballinameela, Ballysaggart, Brickeys have currently there best sides ever and all will be having a tilt at going senior - who could have seen any of these clubs going senior hurling 10 years ago?
    It is fantastic to see, it bodes well for the long term, non traditional hurling clubs are producing top quality hurlers, this obviously leads to all intercounty teams in the county having a larger pool to select from.

The junior grade now needs to go all county to keep it anyway proper as a championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

DeiseDawg wrote: »
    No sub goalie today. Imagine Brian Cody asking tipp for a keeper in a challenge game where supporters had paid to get in. I think not. Where is Derek mcgrath taking us?

They actually charged people in to see a game at this time of year and then treated is like you say above???

You have to wonder about the decision makers in this county. That is totally disrespectful to the paying punter and there is something rotten about it.

Anyone with any sense wouldn't be paying to see game 2 or 3 of this 'December series' after the way it was treated yesterday - is it possible for waterford hurling to shoot themselves in the foot anymore?

Since when is this considered good enough? Do these people have any standards or simple cop on?

If they didn't charge people at the gate I wouldn't take too much notice but if you take money from people's pockets at least treat it as a proper match

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Are ye playing clare challenge this week senior??

Any one know
    I wouldn't mind having look both teams this time year

Think the charge is an attempt to raise money for the teams training fund, all players were given tickets to sell

Are ye playing clare challenge this week senior??

Any one know
    I wouldn't mind having look both teams this time year

Wednesday 17th December we play Clare.

Wednesday 17th December we play Clare.

Where that on
    Thanks

Where that on
    Thanks

Dungarvan

Dungarvan

Clare have panel thirty seven training thirty four waiting cratloe boys

Doing ball work even at present
    Good test ye even this time year

Clare have panel thirty seven training thirty four waiting cratloe boys

Doing ball work even at present
    Good test ye even this time year

Is there any point in doing ball work now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭deisedude

Ken announced new Mount Sion manager

• Registered Users Posts: 16 leerushon

Huge Congratulations to Modeligo. I was there, the crowd was great to see. People from all over the county were there.

I know it's a bit off but they will be a force to be reckoned with next year in Intermediate Hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Is there any point in doing ball work now?

Any self respecting player would be doing it all year round.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Any self respecting player would be doing it all year round.

Yeah off a wall or something (every player should be doing that one their own!!) but having just been out on a pitch (poor one to be fair) I wouldn't see the point in a team doing intensive ball work right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Yeah off a wall or something (every player should be doing that one their own!!) but having just been out on a pitch (poor one to be fair) I wouldn't see the point in a team doing intensive ball work right now.

Yeah depends on the quality of the pitch. However, a lot of the pitches right now will be as good or possibly better than the pitches in Feb/Mar during the National League...

Also I know many teams now are doing their skills work on all weather surfaces during winter which is a huge benefit if you have that sort of facility available.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Really was ridiculous to see Waterford with no sub keeper to bring on when SOK was sent off for apparently having a word or 2 for a match official. For the Wexford keeper to have to step in and play for Waterford is crazy. How can McGrath not have another keeper there, regardless of it being a challenge or tournament match or whatever. Makes him look really poor.

Massive congrats to Modeligo. Giving the Cork champions a trimming in a Munster final is some achievement. Hopefully themselves and Cappaquinn go on and win the All-Ireland now

Just in regards the use of all weather surfaces for skill work this time of year I know in previous times there has been a reluctance to use the 4G surface at the WIT Sports Campus by Waterford teams at all ages

cookey123 wrote: »
    Just in regards the use of all weather surfaces for skill work this time of year I know in previous times there has been a reluctance to use the 4G surface at the WIT Sports Campus by Waterford teams at all ages

Why is that? I found they are abnormally fast even compared to summer ground.

Anyone know when there will be a vote an the proposed change to Junior level in the West? I assume the East would have to change their structures as well? How does it work over there?

I think that was identified as a possible reason and also that it didnt prepare them properly for the league etc....
    I would counter that by it would further develop there touch and speed of the game which would be of benifit for when it really matters.

• Advertisement

cookey123 wrote: »
    I think that was identified as a possible reason and also that it didnt prepare them properly for the league etc....
    I would counter that by it would further develop there touch and speed of the game which would be of benifit for when it really matters.

Don't see how it wouldn't prepare them for the league given the better their reflexes are they should be able to control any ball, slow or fast. Might be harder to judge striking and stuff in the league but yeah as you say they should have a better touch come championship.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement