Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

No bets are being taken on the De La Salle vs Passage game! Incase they decide to throw another

Can DLS take that chance this time? If they're"beaten" would it be wise for them to leave passage an easier q/final?! By my reckoning if they beat passage and lismore beat fourmilewater and abbeyside beat roanmore would passage not finish 4th in the group then and end up meeting ballygunner in the q/final? I could be wrong of course!!ðŸ˜

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

cul beag wrote: »
    Can DLS take that chance this time? If they're"beaten" would it be wise for them to leave passage an easier q/final?! By my reckoning if they beat passage and lismore beat fourmilewater and abbeyside beat roanmore would passage not finish 4th in the group then and end up meeting ballygunner in the q/final? I could be wrong of course!!ðŸ˜

Doubt they are that worried about Passage this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

No bets are being taken on the De La Salle vs Passage game! Incase they decide to throw another

DLS are Top no matter what happens lads there only going to look after themselves and who can blame them.
    Ya make your own bed and lie in it, simple really.
    Plus they need good run out as a team with how far off the pace they are due to county team so I be suprised if they are beaten I'd hav a ton wit ya no bother that DLS win or on this we'll just call it a
    I Told ya so..

• Registered Users Posts: 44 courtylad

PTH2009 wrote: »
    What do our minors of 2015 look like are there any good players coming up.

I have a great insight into the minor squad next year, with the major forces such as Cormac Curran, Jack Guiry, Conor Gleeson, Edmon O Halloran and Ciaran O Neill all going to be over the age Waterford will be in search for the up and coming players, I predict a lot of the following players will on the minor football panel next year. In goal my home club keeper Kevin Dwane (balinacourty), not sure why he only played one game this year but I'd choose him over Craig Browne any day. In the full back line there is a gap without Guiry but I say Michael Cronin (Ardmore) will be full back, played corner back in both codes this year. Corner backs there are some options, I watched alot of minor games this year and the u16 up in limerick earlier this summer. From courty Cormac Dwyer, small lad but a decent option. Darren McGuckian or Ciaran Cusack from Stradbally should both atleast make the panel, Darren played cb while Ciaran played fb in the minors county final lost to the Nire earlier this summer. Other good options are Maurice Daly from Brickey Rangers, A solid player plays Munster rugby another would be Luke O Connor of St. Oliver's, Luke's father was apart of the Offaly family dynasty of the 80's the O Connors and his father played fb on the day they won the all Ireland, passing the ball into derby. Half back line is where we lost out to cork in the semi this year, Courtys John Elsted will be going 18 in jan and will be able for minor and Oran curran or whoever the manager is needs to play him at centre back, the wings for the kicks outs need strength and height, Darren McGuckian of Stradbally seems a certain wing back next year and while any of the previously listed corner backs could hold there own wb I'd suggest to management to look at Cathal Curran of the Brickeys, Cathal may only be on the age but has been holding his own in div 1 minor since the age if 14, his brother was dual minor star this year Cormac Curran. Midfield the only sure options are Courtys Conor Prunty and Jack Mullaney of Stradbally, both were dual stars this year. Centre forward has to go back to Conor Murray of Rathgormack, now here is where Waterford seem to need to stretch to find players with height and strength, Wing forward will surely be Dylan Guiry again, u16 this year and started county minor truly unreal. On the other wing forward role we would need Michael Sweeney of Steadbally, he was strong as centre forward during the minor championship that saw Stradbally reach the county final. Full Forward you may think Waterford would lack since Gleeson is over the age but Paul Whelan of Brickeys seems the right fit. I saw him throughout the league but I took notice when brickeys were playing there against Stradbally in the western final he Brickeys got two goals off him in 5 minutes first ball in he caught over head and down to Conor morrisey (morrisey himself should of been on the county football this year, he avg 2-5 a game throughout the championship, shame he's overage next year) the second high ball came in and Whelan caught buried. Then two more points after. 6ft 4 and has just gone 16 he seems the perfect fit for full forward makes me wonder why him and morrisey weren't on the county minor panel this year. In the corner Daragh Lyons of dungarvan is a certain yes. Then probably in the other corner I'd go with Aaron Donnelly not sure if he is on the age.

Starting line up:-
    1) Kevin Dewane - Balinacourty
    2) Luke O Connor - St. Olivers
    3) Michael Cronin - Ardmore
    4) Maurice Daly - Brickey Rangers
    5) Darren McGuckian - Stradbally
    6) John Elsted - Balinacourty
    7) Cathal Curran - Brickey Rangers
    8) Jack Mullaney - Stradbally
    9) Conor Prunty - Balinacourty
    10) Dylan Guiry - The Nire
    11) Conor Murray - Rathgormack
    12) Michael Sweeney - Stradbally
    13) Darragh Lyons - Dungarvan
    14) Paul Whelan - Brickey Rangers
    15) Aaron Donnelly - Dungarvan

Possible Subs:-
    Ciaran Cusack - Stradbally
    Ryan O Neill - Brickey Rangers
    John Curran - Dungarvan
    Aidan Kirwan - Dungarvan
    Dan Booth - Naomh Brid
    Eoin Murray - Cappiquin
    Cormac Dwyer - Balinacourty
    Cartach Barry - Brickey Rangers

While eastern people will look at this team and say very little city players/east players all good Gaultier players are now overage aswell as the nired best players, Kieran Looney and Geriod Ahearne would if been good editions they are the strongest players in the county. Eastern football in minor is in decline this year div 1 football were: The Nire, Balinacourty, Gaultier, Stradbally, DLS, Brickey Rangers and tramore, DLS and tramore are relegated, st. Oliver's or clash more will be div 1 next year, one East team. The Nire has lost there team to the age, brickeys or Balinacourty will be county champions next year, However they need to begin preparations in nov/dec and rebuild the fitness, O Connor, Curran, McGuckian and Whelan all need to be brought in. While Waterford do lack height in certain areas they need to make up for it in strength, using nov-May to gain serious weight. McGuckian and curran espically need to gain weight. The full back line is fine but in midfield Mullaney need to gain atleast two stone. Wing forwards like Dylan Guiry who are skinny but tall need to start gaining weight. The full forward Line maybe in Lyons, he is a tank but maybe abit broader if he won't get taller. Whelan needs to put up weight he is a tall lad and very strong for minor, gaining those couple extra stone will help the transition into adult. Same goes for Donnelly, upping the weight. While there only 16 daly, o Connor and curran need abit for height if they want to take it beyond minor, Waterford may lack height but I can see elsted 6ft, Prunty and Whelan (both 6ft 4) winning ball if it's high, but if Waterford send low balls there is little chance. Lyons will be great for winning breaking ball.

Waterford minor football, that's my suggestions but I say if that team is field there is a chance of maybe a Munster final. But O Connor, Daly, McGuckian, Curran and Whelan all need to be brought in and that panel needs to start going nov start dec at the latest. There is a future for Waterford football if the board and management look at that lineup and squad, this isn't my fantasy minor football squad, can anyone name a better and bigger squad to challenge in Munster and beyond?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Miall108

**** intermediate hurling

Have some respect boy, I bet ya wouldnt go into an intermediate dressing room and say that ya would be flaked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

courtylad wrote: »
    While eastern people will look at this team and say very little city players/east players

Not like there are ever many eastern players playing football for Waterford underage... or senior for that matter. I think Kerry have 13 clubs represented in their starting 15 tomorrow, Waterford always manage to have their best football players in about 4 clubs from the west. Handy scouting job, that.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Any accounts of the senior games played this evening? I heard all the scores,and the draws for the q/finals but was there any decent game of the final group games today?
    Interesting draws alright,Ballygunner will destroy Lismore as will DLS to Tallow but at least the other two might be some way competitive.Still fancy Dungarvan but Mt Sion and Abbeyside could be close. Abbeyside to shade it maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 courtylad

jive wrote: »
    Not like there are ever many eastern players playing football for Waterford underage... or senior for that matter. I think Kerry have 13 clubs represented in their starting 15 tomorrow, Waterford always manage to have their best football players in about 4 clubs from the west. Handy scouting job, that.

True, but if Waterford stand a chance next year they'll a team built around that line up. McGuckian of Stradbally is tall and maybe Cathal Curran needs more height but he isn't 16 yet and he is already around 6ft or under. Prunty however will make or break that side his height is 6ft 4 and he is only 16 great hurler aswell will probably be cb for minor hurling next year. Prunty is great for kickouts and has a great peg up on him. Whelan needs to be full forward, always an area we lack not enough quality, but he's big and strong I can't even name a full back that is near his height at county senior let alone minor. High balls in cause no fb is going to be near his height of 6ft 4 whether he catches it or breaks in and the likes of Lyons, Donnelly, Sweeney or Guiry winning the breaking ball I could see Waterford raising eyebrows if the played like the mayo Senior in figure, tall in places and big and strong high balls in and let the inside line do damage. Your right in speaking that I say Stradbally, Brickeys and Courty will produce a lot if players like they did last year I didn't see any good Nire stars even up at the u16 football tournament in limerick aside from Dylan Guiry. But if whoever the manager is ignores players like Daly, O Connor, McGuckian and Whelan they will throw away four quality players. Daly I watch him in the rugby a complete tank, even in football he punts the ball and runs into it himself, O Connor May be on the short side but up in the u16 he destroyed the corner forwards, if want to be a big lad to go through either of them. McGuckian and Whelan battled in the western final and Although McGuckian is 6ft 1 and an animal Whelan got two high balls twice turned to goals, a lot of scores in that western final came from him or morrisey winning balls in from the likes of Daly. They even won that western final without cormac curran dno why he didn't play but Daly was great in midfield.

The minor system needs to be looked at, the amount of walkover a was ridiculous, a lot of Eastern teams gave them, only the good games came from the west, that system need to be looked at cause div 1 will be fine, teams will fight but the lower divs need to be looked at. Courty, Dungarvan, Stradbally, Brickeys, Gaultier, The Nire, St. Oliver's, DLS

Minor football looks in better state than the current senior two groups system. Ring, Killrossanty, Rathgormack at minor are div 3 they will be running on fed with the lack of quality minors coming through. Div 1 minor teams will probably be the Senior teams in 5-10 years. Underage football in the east needs to be looked at cause I even doubt DLS will play div1 next year

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Alf Tupper

DLS are Top no matter what happens lads there only going to look after themselves and who can blame them.
    Ya make your own bed and lie in it, simple really.
    Plus they need good run out as a team with how far off the pace they are due to county team so I be suprised if they are beaten I'd hav a ton wit ya no bother that DLS win or on this we'll just call it a
    I Told ya so..

Ahem!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Six down...

Courtylad mentioned some good players, there are also a few in the East but I think the biggest problem for Oran or whoever the manager is will be the support of the county board or lack of it for football in Waterford. This year challenge games were called off by co.board. We have had a few good results and performances at this level over past few years so maybe the board should open their eyes and fully support the manager and see where it takes us!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Hurling dev squad

U14 beat Tipp 0-13 to 1-9
    U15 beat Tipp 2-13 to 0-12

didn't get the U16 result

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Alf Tupper wrote: »
    Ahem!

Hahahah fair enough but least they didn't throw the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Miall108

Courtylad mentioned some good players, there are also a few in the East but I think the biggest problem for Oran or whoever the manager is will be the support of the county board or lack of it for football in Waterford. This year challenge games were called off by co.board. We have had a few good results and performances at this level over past few years so maybe the board should open their eyes and fully support the manager and see where it takes us!!!!!!!!

Ah here, Football????......THATS NICE!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 lanarty56

Miall108 wrote: »
    Have some respect boy, I bet ya wouldnt go into an intermediate dressing room and say that ya would be flaked

Calm down lads, this is your final warning your actions are bringing the integrity of the thread down.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

3ships wrote: »
    Hurling dev squad

More good news on the under age hurling front. Keep it going! We need to win another Minor Hurling All Ireland quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,044 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

My predictions for the Senoir hurling qf

De la Salle vs tallow- De La Salle
    Ballygunner vs Lismore- Ballygunner
    Dungarvan vs passage- dungarvan
    Mount sion vs abbeyside- mount Sion

I think Ballygunner will beat Mount Sion in the final if they are kept apart

PTH2009 wrote: »
    My predictions for the Senoir hurling qf

De la Salle vs tallow- De La Salle
    Ballygunner vs Lismore- Ballygunner
    Dungarvan vs passage- dungarvan
    Mount sion vs abbeyside- mount Sion

I think Ballygunner will beat Mount Sion in the final if they are kept apart

I think Abbeyside will beat Mount Sion to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

3ships wrote: »
    Hurling dev squad

I heard the Under 16s won as well but didn't get the score. This was a fund-raising triple bill in Fraher Field yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

Clashmore relegated to the junior ranks for 2015. Tadhg Burke and Brian O'Halloran will be plying their trade there after getting to the Intermediate Western Final last year and running Ardmore extremely close. Crazy stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Clashmore relegated to the junior ranks for 2015. Tadhg Burke and Brian O'Halloran will be plying their trade there after getting to the Intermediate Western Final last year and running Ardmore extremely close. Crazy stuff
    No way? Who did they lose to over the weekend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

Do Clashmore not have to play Abbeyside's second team as they finished bottom in the other 5 team group in the west

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    No way? Who did they lose to over the weekend?

Ballinameela beat them by a point 1-10 to 1-9 and topped the group. Clashmore missed a last minute penalty, draw would not have been enough to keep them up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Ballinameela beat them by a point 1-10 to 1-9 and topped the group. Clashmore missed a last minute penalty, draw would not have been enough to keep them up
    Abbeyside have 0 points in the other group though?

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Abbeyside have 0 points in the other group though?

2 relegated from Intermediate this year, bottom team in each group. This is because there are 10 teams intermediate and only 4 junior at the moment

2 relegated from Intermediate this year, bottom team in each group. This is because there are 10 teams intermediate and only 4 junior at the moment

There was going to be at least one more Senior hurler playing Junior unless Brickeys had gone down.

As an aside, if anyone has two spare tickets for the all Ireland final give me a shout.

There was going to be at least one more Senior hurler playing Junior unless Brickeys had gone down.

As an aside, if anyone has two spare tickets for the all Ireland final give me a shout.

What do you mean?

What do you mean?

Well with the change like. Off the top of my head, Fives from Tourin, Breathnach An Rinn, Brick Stradbally and then the two lads for Clashmore. Brickeys have no Senior hurler and obviously Abbeysides b Team wouldn't.

Well with the change like. Off the top of my head, Fives from Tourin, Breathnach An Rinn, Brick Stradbally and then the two lads for Clashmore. Brickeys have no Senior hurler and obviously Abbeysides b Team wouldn't.

Either do Cappoquin Ballinameela or Shamrocks

Either do Cappoquin Ballinameela or Shamrocks

That was embarrassing, sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Sliabh gCua1

Do they have to place and loose to Abbeyside first for relegation to happen?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement