Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Sliabh gCua1

Do Clashmore not have to play Abbeyside's second team as they finished bottom in the other 5 team group in the west

Got in before me.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

Do they have to place and loose to Abbeyside first for relegation to happen?
    2 relegated from Intermediate this year, bottom team in each group. This is because there are 10 teams intermediate and only 4 junior at the moment

I dont know how clear I can explain this - both Abbeyside and Clashmore have been relegated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I dont know how clear I can explain this - both Abbeyside and Clashmore have been relegated!

That doesn't make sense though if their reason is there are only 4 junior teams...sure Abbeyside would go into the Second strings competition so there would still be only 4 junior teams? Or was it because they anticipated Abbeyside being relegated they did this.

It really is a farce that they have two separate Junior competitions in the West.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

From Waterford GAA supporters club

West Inter hurling.
    Quarter finals.
    Ballysaggart V Ring and Brickeys V Stradbally.
    Cappoquin and Ballinameala seeded semi finalists

Abbeyside v Clashmore to see who is relegated to junior hurling for 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭thegambler2

I wonder will we have a new fund for the waterford footballers now!
    How does "Club Carew" sound?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

There is great work being done in Ballinameala and St Olivers underage and long may it continue. For a traditional football club to top the intermediate group. Remember playing years ago and a club like Ballinameala would struggle to be competitive or even field at junior...

• Registered Users Posts: 13 logbox

Correct .Both clubs are relegated. Abbeyside to Senior 2nd strings and Clashmore to Junior proper.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Sliabh gCua1

That doesn't make sense though if their reason is there are only 4 junior teams...sure Abbeyside would go into the Second strings competition so there would still be only 4 junior teams? Or was it because they anticipated Abbeyside being relegated they did this.

It really is a farce that they have two separate Junior competitions in the West.

If Colligan or Modeligo go up (have to be honest and say they are the best two teams in the west so far playing in the west this year), and with Clashmore going down, and possibly Kilgobinet or Melleray coming up from Junior second string hurling, assuming each team plays each other once again next year, it means that teams will still get four games in the championship next year. If Kilbobinet or Melleray do not come up, and a Western Side does not win the county final then there would still be only four clubs playing junior hurling in the west this year. We have to remember, up to now its only clubs that win a county final that move up a grade. Tramore were an exception to that rule last year, moving up to intermediate last year after winning the eastern junior final but loosing to Ballysaggart in the county final, but to the best of my knowledge did not win a game in intermediate.

I dont think the relegating two clubs was looked at. Maybe Abbeyside might oblige the Western Board by putting their second team playing junior propper next year instead of two teams playing Junior second string teams, one in the senior competition and one in the Intermediate/Junior in the west.

If the Western board relegate two teams and no team moves up from junior you are going to have a group next year with an odd number of teams which will have clubs giving out.

Someone will have to hold their hand up and admit they got it terribly wrong with the relegating of two clubs thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

SHC Fixtures
    Relegation p/o

4mile v Ardmore Dungarvan 8:00 ThurSept 4

QFs

DLS v Tallow Dungarvan 8:00 Fri Sept 5
    Passage v Dungarvan Dungarvan 7:30 Sat Sept 6

Cnoc v Abbeyside Walsh Pk 2:00 Sun Sept 14
    Gunners v Lismore Walsh Pk 3:30 Sun Sept 14

4mile should win first one

DLS handy
    Passage Dungarvan to the wire
    Mt Sion Abbeyside also close
    Hope Lismore can put it up to the Gunners and they could do it on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Anyone go to any of the Tony Forristal or Sonny Walsh games over the weekend? Disappointing to see neither team getting out of their respective groups. Anyone know how any of the U15 and U16 development squads got on in the other tournaments?
    Any match reports or promising upcoming players from these sides?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭deisedude

3ships wrote: »
    SHC Fixtures
    Relegation p/o

4mile v Ardmore Dungarvan 8:00 ThurSept 4

QFs

DLS v Tallow Dungarvan 8:00 Fri Sept 5
    Passage v Dungarvan Dungarvan 7:30 Sat Sept 6

Cnoc v Abbeyside Walsh Pk 2:00 Sun Sept 14
    Gunners v Lismore Walsh Pk 3:30 Sun Sept 14

4mile should win first one

DLS handy
    Passage Dungarvan to the wire
    Mt Sion Abbeyside also close
    Hope Lismore can put it up to the Gunners and they could do it on the day

Having seen Lismore against Abbeyside a few weeks back i thing Ballygunner should be winning pulling up

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Cake Man wrote: »
    Anyone go to any of the Tony Forristal or Sonny Walsh games over the weekend? Disappointing to see neither team getting out of their respective groups. Anyone know how any of the U15 and U16 development squads got on in the other tournaments?
    Any match reports or promising upcoming players from these sides?

Didn't make the Tony Forristal, was hoping to get to the semi if they got thru. Kilkenny absolutely ran away with it
    Results
    http://mountsiongaa.ie/news/tony-forristal-sonny-walsh/

The U-15 team were well beaten by Limerick and Cork, both of those teams went on to contest the final.

The under u-16 lost all their games but more competitive and the U-16bs did ok.

The U-17 lost both their games with Cork as usual winning that tournament in Mallow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Anthony Daly has left Dublin any chance he might head Waterfords way :)

obezyana wrote: »

Not even a remote possibility. He wouldn't manage us if we were all-ireland champs.

Not even a remote possibility. He wouldn't manage us if we were all-ireland champs.

Yeah your prob right. He would be a good manager to have tho.

Yeah your prob right. He would be a good manager to have tho.

Probably, though not sure would we play the hurling we want to see. Or maybe that was just the type of hurler Dublin had.

Probably, though not sure would we play the hurling we want to see. Or maybe that was just the type of hurler Dublin had.

I would think it was down to the type of hurlers Dublin has. Waterford have a better type of player even tho at this moment things aren't going well.

I would think it was down to the type of hurlers Dublin has. Waterford have a better type of player even tho at this moment things aren't going well.

Watching them, I never thought 'this is a very good team and are hurling great'. Not knocking what they achieved just something about the way they hurled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Watching them, I never thought 'this is a very good team and are hurling great'. Not knocking what they achieved just something about the way they hurled.

yes....I always taught myself there was more in them....that first half of the semi v cork last year was as good as any team could hurl
    maybe it was from being in leinster when Kilkenny were so strong and constant fear of being hammered...but I always taught there forwards could be capable of much more if they played in a traditional set up??

He got the best out of them and considering Dublin are more a football county I think he done well to get them to the level that they reached. If Daly can do that with Dublin he could definitely improve our team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

He got the best out of them and considering Dublin more a football county I think he done well to get them to the level that they reached. If Dapyncan do that with Dublin he could definitely improve our team.

they were well on the way up when he got there....he improved them...that's no doubt
    but they were showing signs of improvement/progression under humprey Kelleher...they had a couple of underage all Irelands won as well around the time...if I remember correctly
    he didn't make hurlers out of axemen like

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Dublin didn't actually win any minor or under 21 all Irelands with the current batch. Anyway I don't think Daly or Waterford would suit each other at all.

they were well on the way up when he got there....he improved them...that's no doubt
    but they were showing signs of improvement/progression under humprey Kelleher...they had a couple of underage all Irelands won as well around the time...if I remember correctly
    he didn't make hurlers out of axemen like

Yes Dublin were progressing but the thing is he continued that progression and got them to a level that I would feel they wouldn't of reached if he wasn't at the helm. I'm not suggesting he is the saviour Waterford needs, what I am saying is he could very well be the person who gets Waterford hurling back on track and back as a team to fear.

It's got to the point now that even in Munster all the teams will be hoping to draw Waterford and it's because whilst most move forward we seem to be going backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭deisedude

If Daly goes to anyone next season then its Galway

deisedude wrote: »
    If Daly goes to anyone next season then its Galway

Yeah it would suit him taking that job being so close to home. Are Galway as a team much more ahead of Waterford? I wouldn't think so. I feel what let's Waterford down is the current management and the clear lack of fitness in the squad. The Waterford lads can hurl and if those two major issues are sorted then I don't see how some time in the next few years that we can't challenge for Munster and reach AI semis on a consistent basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭blue note

I think Daly did an excellent job at Dublin, but I wouldn't like to see him as Waterford manager. He reminds me of Davy Fitz in his time with us. Always playing an extra man at the back and concentrating on conditioning ahead of hurling skills. I remember the semi against Tipp (2011 was it?) where they were lauded for running Tipp so close. But as far as I could see for most of the second half they were trailing a lead and playing an extra man at the back. Which meant that Tipp weren't scoring much, but they didn't look too dangerous either - they never looked like they'd catch Tipp or like they had the ambition to catch Tipp.

I'd love to see O'Grady with Waterford sometime, but it might be too late for him and I doubt we could afford him anyway.

Daly might want a year out, but if he wants to get straight back into management Galway would be a decent job for him.

And for Dublin I wonder would Nicky English be interested? He's living in Dublin as far as I know, so he might just be able to be persuaded. I think they should try for him anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 SkipFC

Was just looking at the roll of honour for the intermediate hurling championship on wikipedia and normally it shows the winner and what the score was in the final but for 1991, it just says Saint Saviours without a final result being given or opponent, was there a final that year or does anyone know what the story was?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 SkipFC

Hi guys,

I've done a preview of the weekends intermediate quarter finals but because I'm a new user, it won't let me post a link to it.

The website is skippykelly(dot)wordpress(dot)com

Also, I'm on twitter @SkipFC and it's a pinned tweet on my profile and would really appreciate if you guys could read it and let me know what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

SkipFC wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I've done a preview of the weekends intermediate quarter finals but because I'm a new user, it won't let me post a link to it.

The website is skippykelly(dot)wordpress(dot)com

Also, I'm on twitter @SkipFC and it's a pinned tweet on my profile and would really appreciate if you guys could read it and let me know what you think.

thanks for taking the time to do the previews, I know it must be hard to do detailed reports or previews of these championships as a lot of the games are played simultaneously. I see from your blog you are still playing a bit yourself so attending the local championship must be difficult also.

However thanks for taking the time to cover these games, I will be checking back to keep myself informed on what is going on outside the senior grades if you are still able update reports.

All the best and continued success in your career as a sports journalist

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement