Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭liogairmhordain

SkipFC wrote: »
    Was just looking at the roll of honour for the intermediate hurling championship on wikipedia and normally it shows the winner and what the score was in the final but for 1991, it just says Saint Saviours without a final result being given or opponent, was there a final that year or does anyone know what the story was?

Saviours beat Erins Own 2-5 to 2-4 in the county final

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

What is the schedule for the clubs for the next two months? Obviously it's hurling this weekend, football next then and a one week break to the semis or how does it work?

I'd be grateful if someone could lay it out up to the weekend of the finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 OEP2

Two of the senior hurling quarter finals are on this weekend with the other two the following weekend. There aren't any dates for the football quarters yet, probably depends on how Abbeyside go

Thanks for that. Any thoughts on the weekends games? Can't see beyond Fourmile tonight.

Would expect DLS to come through handy enough tomorrow, but the real interest lies in Dungarvan v Passage on Sunday. How do ye think that one will go?

Haven't seen too many club games this year but would be leaning towards Dungarvan myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Alot of pressure on Dungarvan this year especially with the tremendous outlay of money towards winning the senior title. Passage are still champions and won't give their title up easily but I would still see the old Boro coming through in this one.

• Advertisement

Just lumped on Tallow for the game tonight,they must be certainties having beaten DLS last year!! No shock if they win for the second year on the trot!!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

cul beag wrote: »
    Just lumped on Tallow for the game tonight,they must be certainties having beaten DLS last year!! No shock if they win for the second year on the trot!!

I hope you did, Tallow 1-5 to 0-4 up after 20 mins!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

Christ remember that? Lismore made a show of themselves all over the county bitching about it.. after they couldn't look after their own patch and make it out of the group themselves... Absolutely cringe inducing stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

DLS 1-16 Tallow 2-9

only a 4 point win in what was supposed to be a near walkover. Might have to re think the re think of the championship structure.....

DLS made hard work of it tonight. While Tallow settled the fastest and led by 5 pts after 15 mins, DLS came to grips with the game and never really looked like being beaten with 15 mins remaining. They must have had over 10 wides and will have to up their performance against either Ballygunner or dungarvan in the later stages of the championship. Shane McNulty was impressive at wingback for the victors. Tallow put up a better performance than what was expected but are over depending on Thomas Ryan for scores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭westcork blue

Dls shot 18 wides tonight. Their forwards were disjointed, half forward line was very poor. Moran and Mcnulty played well in parts in their hb line but they looked like a team needing some serious reworking. No pace in the forwards, very hard to see them win semi against a half decent team. Tallow were game but very limited. From a county panel perspective only Mcnulty could be considered as showing real promise over what's know. Jake looks like he has lost his confidence, hooked 3 times, missed 4 frees and at least 3 easy chances from play. Hopefully his form will recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

How good was Tommy Ryan? Did Steven Daniels get any game time?

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    How good was Tommy Ryan? Did Steven Daniels get any game time?

Ryan was good in patches,more so the first half than the second. Got one great point from right under the stand when Tallow were enjoying a period of dominance. Didn't see Daniels playing but I'm open to correction on that. Did see Eddie Barrett come on but he didn't seem to be moving smoothly if anything he still seemed to be running with a slight limp.
    Tallow got 2 goals and should of had a 3rd late on when they struck straight at Coady in goal. DLS didn't really create many goal chances for themselves bar the one Keane scored and add to that 18 wides and as I said earlier these stats won't do against Ballygunner or Dungarvan. In fact I think both teams would fancy their chances against them going by that performance. And it hasn't been just this game they don't seem to be moving with the same fluency as other years for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭westcork blue

Ryan was good in patches,more so the first half than the second. Got one great point from right under the stand when Tallow were enjoying a period of dominance. Didn't see Daniels playing but I'm open to correction on that. Did see Eddie Barrett come on but he didn't seem to be moving smoothly if anything he still seemed to be running with a slight limp.
    Tallow got 2 goals and should of had a 3rd late on when they struck straight at Coady in goal. DLS didn't really create many goal chances for themselves bar the one Keane scored and add to that 18 wides and as I said earlier these stats won't do against Ballygunner or Dungarvan. In fact I think both teams would fancy their chances against them going by that performance. And it hasn't been just this game they don't seem to be moving with the same fluency as other years for some reason.

Dls look over trained to me, too much running, not enough hurling. When you see a team shooting very bad wides and failing to lift the ball even when in space you've got to question the training. The marquee forwards could have/ should have been replaced last night. You had a number of county minors on the bench who would have added pace to the attack. I think Eddie Barrett will improve them and Daniels/Madigan are also close to return but their county minors are badly needed to inject pace and competition for places. You would wonder who is picking the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,533 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Ferrybank 3-11 Dunhill 0-17 full time in Intermediate

• Registered Users Posts: 39,533 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Passage reign as county champs is over

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭boodiebhoy

Dungarvan hold on to beat Passage

Fairplay to Passage, down to 14 men (Eoin Kelly sent off early second half) and still put on the typical late show scoring 1-3 without reply to lose 4-10 to 2-14.

Dungarvan will be in with a shout, might even fancy a bit of revenge on DLS. I would say any one of 5 times potentially could win it. Don't think Lismore are good enough, and would fancy Abbeyside next week but if Mount Sion did win you never know with them.

Nothing changes for me though, Ballygunner still favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Fairplay to Passage, down to 14 men (Eoin Kelly sent off early second half) and still put on the typical late show scoring 1-3 without reply to lose 4-10 to 2-14.

Dungarvan will be in with a shout, might even fancy a bit of revenge on DLS. I would say any one of 5 times potentially could win it. Don't think Lismore are good enough, and would fancy Abbeyside next week but if Mount Sion did win you never know with them.

Nothing changes for me though, Ballygunner still favourites.
    Dungarvan wasted some lot of ball in the second half, they could have won by 6 or 7 but were doing very stupid passes and hitting too many wides. Still think their half forward line isn't good enough for them to win the county. Very nice individual hurlers, Gavin Crotty, Ryan Donnelly, Patrick Curran, Kenny Moore and Jamie Nagle... but they make things too hard for themselves. They were fortunate because Passage handed them 2 goals, corner back totally missed the ball for Patrick Currans first and the goalie pucked the ball straight to Cathal Curran at half time.

Eoin Kelly didn't look interested at all, stupid to hit the dungarvan corner back when he was on a yellow, but fair play to the other 14 for their persistence, could have won it at the end, think it was Conor Carey who got blocked in front of goal

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭mickotallow

Not sure what cul beag's problem is with Tallow but his smart comments nearly came back to haunt him.

Not that I had any doubts but Friday nights performance from Tallow proved that they beat DLS fair and square last year. To say any different AGAIN a year later is just downright childish.

Tallow like most rural clubs are struggling for numbers but have given fantastic service and commitment this year to overcome retirements and injuries. Too many people take the lazy approach of saying that Tallow are poor and limited. But how can you call a team with James Murray, Paul, David & Mark O'Brien and Thomas Ryan limited.

• Advertisement

Not sure what cul beag's problem is with Tallow but his smart comments nearly came back to haunt him.

Not that I had any doubts but Friday nights performance from Tallow proved that they beat DLS fair and square last year. To say any different AGAIN a year later is just downright childish.

Tallow like most rural clubs are struggling for numbers but have given fantastic service and commitment this year to overcome retirements and injuries. Too many people take the lazy approach of saying that Tallow are poor and limited. But how can you call a team with James Murray, Paul, David & Mark O'Brien and Thomas Ryan limited.

No problem with them at all. It was just a bit of banter! Tallow have produced some of the finest hurlers over the years and have been a credit to their town and club and if they had maybe 3-4 more senior standard players would be a force to be reckoned with in the championship. But unfortunately that can be said for alot of the teams at senior level this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 SkipFC

Hi lads,

Same story again, I've done a preview of the intermediate games coming up this weekend. @skipfc on twitter and www(.)skippykelly(.)wordpress(.)com

Also, its worth following @sportwaterford on twitter, I'm involved and this weekend we covered a lot of local sport.

Great weekend of hurling I thought, Dungarvan's forwards were class to watch, nice crisp passing with a few quick players willing to solo, there just two matches away from winning the county title and could be an outside bet.

Geraldines against Marys was daylight robbery, Gers had no right to win it but they did in the dying moments in another match that kept you guessing to the end.

Stradbally v Brickeys still isn't decided and it's hard to see how it will be, thought the big crowd was fairly quiet in Fraher while this was on, do people of Carriglea and Stradbally just have better things to do on a Sunday?

An Rinn v Ballysaggart was the one I expected most out of but it was a walk in the park really for An Rinn, suppose its nice for the Ballysaggart lads to have a rest after a long 2013.

This weekend will now see either An Rinn or Cappoquin into a Western final before the Brickeys v Stadbally QF game will be played

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

SkipFC wrote: »
    Hi lads,

Same story again, I've done a preview of the intermediate games coming up this weekend. @skipfc on twitter and www(.)skippykelly(.)wordpress(.)com

Also, its worth following @sportwaterford on twitter, I'm involved and this weekend we covered a lot of local sport.

Great weekend of hurling I thought, Dungarvan's forwards were class to watch, nice crisp passing with a few quick players willing to solo, there just two matches away from winning the county title and could be an outside bet.

Geraldines against Marys was daylight robbery, Gers had no right to win it but they did in the dying moments in another match that kept you guessing to the end.

Stradbally v Brickeys still isn't decided and it's hard to see how it will be, thought the big crowd was fairly quiet in Fraher while this was on, do people of Carriglea and Stradbally just have better things to do on a Sunday?

An Rinn v Ballysaggart was the one I expected most out of but it was a walk in the park really for An Rinn, suppose its nice for the Ballysaggart lads to have a rest after a long 2013.

This weekend will now see either An Rinn or Cappoquin into a Western final before the Brickeys v Stadbally QF game will be played

Surprised your going with a draw between Erins Own and Saviours while last week you said Ballysaggart would go up Senior. Erins Own have the best hurlers of any intermediate club in waterford and if they can replicate the success of their underage teams at adult level then they will be the 5th club from the city playing senior next year.

Surprised your going with a draw between Erins Own and Saviours while last week you said Ballysaggart would go up Senior. Erins Own have the best hurlers of any intermediate club in waterford and if they can replicate the success of their underage teams at adult level then they will be the 5th club from the city playing senior next year.

Ring will take all the beating in this grade(in the west at least). Watched them last night and were by far too strong for Ballysaggart. Take the 3 Bennetts out of their team and they are very poor. Didn't help their cause I suppose when Stephen was the only one of the 3 to perform. His first goal just sums up the talent he has and was worth the admission fee alone. Definitely a negative is his temperament and that would have to be dealt with going forward. Ring are a serious outfit,extremely fit and have excellent hurlers in cian o Connor,Donie Breathnach , the Murphys and Kellys.Looking forward to themselves and Cappoquin next Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 SkipFC

In fairness, I got a lot wrong last week including that Ballysaggart call and going for a draw is admittedly the cowardly option

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Annie Oakes

Scandalous call saying ballysagart would win the intermediate in fairness.

Just wondering what underage success from erins own you are referring to????

I am aware they are sacred heart underage and off the top of my head I cant remember them winning any sort of competition underage in recent times, at least not in the A divisions anyway.

Scandalous call saying ballysagart would win the intermediate in fairness.

Just wondering what underage success from erins own you are referring to????

I am aware they are sacred heart underage and off the top of my head I cant remember them winning any sort of competition underage in recent times, at least not in the A divisions anyway.

They have been minor B county champions in 2011 and 2013 plus have played minor B since 2008 making another 2 semi's. They have doing well underage the past few seasons but had yet to make an impact at adult level. They have the hurlers but i'd say An Ring in the west could also do it given how they blew Portlaw away in the final in 2012.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Annie Oakes

They have been minor B county champions in 2011 and 2013 plus have played minor B since 2008 making another 2 semi's. They have doing well underage the past few seasons but had yet to make an impact at adult level. They have the hurlers but i'd say An Ring in the west could also do it given how they blew Portlaw away in the final in 2012.

Whoever wins the west will win the intermediate, end of story.
    Ring and Cappoquin are the strongest in my eyes but ya never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

I'd like to highlight this one to ye,

For a 15/16 yr old hurler this week he's expected to play U16 championship tonight, minor tomorrow night, U16 Friday night and minor Saturday night and U16 next Wednesday again. Thats 5 games in 8 days surely that cant be right like plus you have schools training for Dean Ryan & Harty Cup aswell as challenge games in school.

Is there any other club or person agrees with me that its leading to massive player burnout. Injuries in young players is gettin beyond a joke all the damage been done now will lead to severe injuries further down the line.
    What kind of county board have we at all?

• Advertisement

I'd like to highlight this one to ye,

For a 15/16 yr old hurler this week he's expected to play U16 championship tonight, minor tomorrow night, U16 Friday night and minor Saturday night and U16 next Wednesday again. Thats 5 games in 8 days surely that cant be right like plus you have schools training for Dean Ryan & Harty Cup aswell as challenge games in school.

Is there any other club or person agrees with me that its leading to massive player burnout. Injuries in young players is gettin beyond a joke all the damage been done now will lead to severe injuries further down the line.
    What kind of county board have we at all?

That's a bloody disgrace from the county board to run that many games off in an 8 day period. They could easily have spread them through out September and play the semis in early October. The U16's and U18's have been idle for practically all summer due to the county minors.

They could also have played off the U16's while the county minors were playing. There was a similar situation last year when the county board decided to have U16 football and U18 hurling games on at the same day at the same time with a rake of walkovers. Is it Timmy O'Keeffe the county secretary responsible for organising the timing of these games or does someone else put the plan together does anyone know.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement