Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Tramore84

Next steps for Waterford should be :-

1) A new management team - the manager should be from outside the county. The manager should be someone with a proven track record in hurling coaching and getting senior hurlers to produce a successful brand of hurling. This does not mean attempting to follow the 'clare model'. This should be done quickly - the new manager should try to prevent any retirements. The experienced guys are needed more than ever now - especially for 1B.

2) that's it. Not an easy thing to do but necessary for Waterford hurling and the future we want for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Tramore84 wrote: »

1) A new management team - the manager should be from outside the county. The manager should be someone with a proven track record in hurling coaching and getting senior hurlers to produce a successful brand of hurling. This does not mean attempting to follow the 'clare model'. This should be done quickly - the new manager should try to prevent any retirements. The experienced guys are needed more than ever now - especially for 1B.

2) that's it. Not an easy thing to do but necessary for Waterford hurling and the future we want for it.

Big problem is that the county board is broke and can't really afford anyone from outside the county with a proven track record. Unfortunately it looks like Derek will stay on.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

The next time I see the county team play we could have a 1 man inside forward line and a sweeper vs Carlow. Thats depressing!

When is Toms term as county board chairman up? Would the new man in be anyone with the balls to try and get a new management team in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

I'd love to win the lotto, clear the debt and get Liam Sheedy in charge! I have a dream...

• Advertisement

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    I'd love to win the lotto, clear the debt and get Liam Sheedy in charge! I have a dream...

And build a new stadium too, sound man ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

We don't have the players, management or county board to be successful at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Waterford cd

How can one support what Derek McGrath is doing??? And the fact that he is staying on for a couple more years could be an absolute disaster, hw Richie foley didn't start never mind get on the field yesterday was a joke, ok he doesn't have form and it hasn't been his best year but how come the Likes of Dillon can start every match and never really do anything but always has his starting no matter what

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Slobbery wrote: »
    We don't have the players, management or county board to be successful at the moment
    80,000 seater inside in Kilmac, no complaints about easy or west venue :)

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

A Chara,

The County Board C.C.C. met at 9am this morning (Sunday) and drew up the following fixtures.

The Senior Football Championship will resume next weekend 26th / 27th July with Round 3 fixtures.
    Round 4 will take place mid week the following week - 30th / 31st / 1st

We will then have three successive weekends of Senior Hurling starting on the week end of 9th / 10th August with Round 3.

Round 5 of the Senior Football will be on week end 30th / 31st August.

We would then be back in line to complete the quarter finals / semi finals as scheduled on 13th / 14th September.

The Senior Football Fixtures are as follows:

ROUND 3

Saturday 26th July:

Rathgormack V Ardmore in Bushy Park - 7.30pm - Ref J Condon
    Kilrossanty V Clashmore Kinsalebeg - Fraher Field - 6.30pm - Ref T O Sullivan
    Stradbally V Nire - Fraher Field - 8pm - ref A Kissane
    Ballinameela V St Saviours - Stradbally -7.30pm - Ref T Organ

Sunday 27th July:

Ballinacourty V An Rinn - Fraher Field - 7pm - Ref D O Leary
    Gaultier V De La Salle - Walsh Park - 7pm - K O Toole

ROUND 4

Wednesday 30th

Ardmore V An Rinn - in Bushy Park - 7.30pm - Ref T Organ
    Kilrossanty V Rathgormack - Fraher Field - 7.30pm - Ref Ml O Brien
    De La Salle V The Nire - in Stradbally - 7.30pm - M Curran

Thursday 31st

Clashmore Kinsalebeg V Ballinacourty - in Fraher Field 7.30pm - P Casey
    St Saviours V Gaultier - Walsh Park 7.30pm - Ref R Dunne

Friday 1st August

Ballinameela V Stradbally - Fraher Field - 7.30pm - Ref J Condon

ROUND 5

Week end of 29th / 31st August.

Senior Hurling Fixtures.

The Specific Fixtures for the Senior Hurling will be sent out on Tuesday night after the Minor Hurling Munster Final but will be played as follows:

Round 3 - 8th / 10th August
    Round 4 - 15th / 17th August
    Round 5 - 22nd / 24th August

Is Mise

Regards

Tim O'Keeffe
    Runai - Phort Lairge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Alf Tupper

Why didn't lawlor put his hand up so and say he wasn't fit to play???

Stephen Bennett did that and they put him on anyway.

The lad had absolutely no training whatsoever done.

What a sheer and utter farce.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I've banned one poster for two weeks over the personal attacks, cut it out

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

Slobbery wrote: »
    In an earlier post I posted that Ryan Donnelly, Jaime Barron and Ray Barry were not on the panel. This was based on information from a usually reliable source. Now I am informed that they were. Does anybody know whether they were or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

Tramore84 wrote: »

I agree with the substance of your post.
    A lot of thought must go into the selection of the next Co. Board chairman as well. The idea of people walking into this post should be over. There should be no more coronations. Candidates for the position should have a specially prepared plan of action for the resolution of the debt problem- IN PRINT. A special meeting should be convened every six months to discuss progress / lack of progress in relation to the plan. It would be preferable if someone with accountancy skills were chosen for the job. One thing is certain the problems facing the Board are huge. He/she must have the capacity not alone to administer the county but must have the capacity to come up with creative means of generating funds to get the Board out of the financial quagmire. This is no job for the faint hearted.
    Only radical change can save the GAA in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭deisedude

Too devastated to even talk about the seniors. Will the minor game be live on wlrfm on Tuesday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

culbaire wrote: »
    In an earlier post I posted that Ryan Donnelly, Jaime Barron and Ray Barry were not on the panel. This was based on information from a usually reliable source. Now I am informed that they were. Does anybody know whether they were or not?

I saw Jamie Barron there last night anyway. About 14 I think subs, so three more than the 26 named but hard to know who was who as Shane McNulty was down in the programme as 18 and Stephen Bennett came on, I thought it was Stephen Roche when I saw him.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭skaface

We must all acknowledge at the end of the day that things haven't gone our way this year.
    Nobody goes out intentionally to play a bad game or not have a correct gameplan in place.
    At the end of the day, it is an amateur game and people, both players and management
    do what they do for the love of the game.
    A lot of posters are not happy at the moment, we are out of the C/ship for another year.
    We need to go away and recharge the batteries for next year and hopefully learn from
    our mistakes and drive on again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

Last year we saw one of the best and most defiant Waterford performances for years against Kilkenny in Thurles.Kilkenny mightn't have been at their best but they were still Kilkenny.Waterford looked such a well organised and well drilled team that night.They played with such heart and passion but they didn't have the firepower to put Kilkenny away.However a certain minority in the county (who had it in for Michael Ryan from day one) decided it best to make Michael Ryan the fall guy for the defeat and he got shafted.The supporters of the decision to shaft Michael Ryan (a lot of whom have spent the last few months dragging a good mans name through the mud) said that morale failures weren't good enough and that we will get rid of Michael Ryan and we will be parading Liam McCarthy down the quay again.What i find so hilarious is that these very same people will be trying desperately to put a positive spin on a year that Waterford got relegated from the top division in the league.This management team also dragged Waterford back to the dark ages with a hammering against Cork in munster.Now to be fair Waterford drew the first game against Cork when they probably should have won but i will take the same view here that certain people took after the Kilkenny game last year.Not good enough it's all about getting the job done and Waterford didn't and now this evening Waterford would have been well beaten by a spirited but limited Wexford team if it wasn't for their appalling shooting.I take no pleasure in writing this because when Cork aren't the opposition i always want Waterford to win but i am delighted that poisonous and hate filled individuals like Saturdays Man who delighted in belittling and humiliating great Waterford GAA men like Michael Ryan and Peter Queally have plenty of egg on their faces this evening.Someone throw them a towel please.Waterford hurling is being dragged back into the stone age by this quite clearly clueless and incompetent management team.

firstly and foremostly, i have never humiliated michael ryan or peter queally. first off i think how michael ryan was treated by players and co board was totally wrong and disrespectful, it was badly handled from start middle and finish do i think he was the right man for the job? no would be my answer i dont. but did he deserve to be treated way he was? certainly not. no one does.

I firmly believe queally was not the man for the job either and i felt that the u21 performance verified that. If he was serious about cutting his teeth at inter co level why not go to a lesser county like a carlow or a westmeath and try there for a while.

will post thoughts on match in a few mins and to be honest its me that will be eating humble pie on a few things, some are gone beyond indefensible and there is a major need for a sweeping number of changes.... its where to start is the question i would pose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Big problem is that the county board is broke and can't really afford anyone from outside the county with a proven track record. Unfortunately it looks like Derek will stay on.

This is 100% the issue and is also the reason that scully and McGrath both had the opportunity. We no longer have the backing of a certain developer and without that cannot meet the financial demands of any top class management set up. People need to remember that.

right, was up at the game sat and from getting out the car to going into a few pubs and meeting lads i know well played with against and for from walking into the ground and seeing us outnumbered 5/1 and being out sung, seeing the warm ups, seeing the game obviously and the amount of fight in us and our supporters and then seeing how we played and some of the players in it all i can say is the whole thing stank from start to finish.

it was like we all knew it was going to happen and some supporters happy to see us beaten.

im not going to attack individual players specifically but a few small points, lawlor was in trouble after 5 mins be it injury or otherwise, how he was left be torn apart like he was wasnt fair on the chap, he looked like he was carrying a knock but leaving it that long was crazy. that down to mgt.

of the rest, dunford was v good, unlucky with a slip near the end we might have got a draw we didnt deserve (should have been beaten by 8+), brick was ok not his imperious best but no6 is where he should be, lest effectual middle of park imo.

gleeson is one of best in the country for his age, a joy to watch at times. hopefully he will improve again into next year and beyond cos by god we need him.

paud mahoney, jake dillon, gav o brien, shane walsh (injured i know), moran, shane sul and one or two others v disappointing.

shane fives played well as did paudie p, thought darragh was hard done by unless he got hurt?

starting 15 and stephen molumphy aside, out of the subs it was dispairing to see so many similiar players (nice hurlers, not too big not too small, "good club hurlers", no distinct amnt of pace about them, not slow not fast, not forwards not backs) all incapable of changing a game or even improving our lot?! god is that what we are left with now are our resources that thin? maybe so and maybe thats our lot.

well documented on here im a big mcgrath fan, one thing he didnt do that michael ryan did was instill a bit of hunger and have players extremely fit, jesus our conditioning was terrible by comparison to wex. Derek & team must shoulder the blame for that you dont need a 3 year plan to be fit.

on the day itself id say we hurled for about 15 of the 70 mins when we did we opened them up big time and even when we changed tack and fired seamus p (who had a huge impact) in edge of the square it bore fruits. our puck outs were cat and our cb was all over place first 20 mins.

a very disappointing result no one could say we deserved anythingfrom the game.

I do feel that Derek is worth another year BUT and i will say but if there is a vote of no confidence or whatever else then i would totally understand and accept it as this has been from one disappointment to the next! yes derek should shoulder a lot if not all the blame, but my god how a brian sull with his pace would have made the difference inside, i know he divides opinion on here but fact is he has pace more so then the rest of our forwards (bar dunford) and could have done with it saturday.

the most disappointing and worrying thing though is this siht stirring of an east west divide, jim greenes role, bla bla bla, i dont know of any divide and i think ppl are making something out of an issue that isnt hopefully there. we have enough sihte to deal with our panel needs a total overhaul and those in intercounty retirement might need to review it for the greater good 3 year plan or not, my god could u imagine the shot a john mullane would have given the crowd and team had he came in with 15 to go?

fact is we probably have 3-4 hurlers capable of playing on tipp, clare, kk, cork & limerick teams, the rest arent good enough yet, they will be in time, whether derek is the man for the job i dont know, if not him then who else? pre requisites of anything is fitness and hunger, i question that to be honest we were outfought, out hooked and out ran. that is down to mgt.

At this point of the starting 15 i would question the presence of 2-3 in next years panel off the extended panel i would question presence of 8-9 of them... i dunno what became of nagle and donnelly and what of maurice shans plight too? we need everyone, i hope no one goes, but i fear prender might, hopefully brick and walshy go again but that sounds unlikely too.... trying to be as unbiased in my appraisel here but as i said the whole thing stank from start to finish.... still feel sick after it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

this east west supposed divide is a load of bull, there are plenty of eastern players who have been treated poorly, amazingly Gavin O'Brien actually got a run last night, setup a good point for Dillon and found Prender in space in the lead up to the goal, although he did not win enough ball in the HF line, still think his best position is either in the half back line or around the middle as he has way more intelligence in using the ball than plenty others on the team.
    Surprised that Nailor got a run, as he was ignored most of the year as well, he is not the fastest, not sure what he was going to change. Personally I think he offers the same as O'Mahony, a good free taker.
    Again, Jake is a strike runner, plenty of effort, more than most as was witnessed in the first half, but he does not have the finesse in his finishing. To be honest, Molumphy offered a little bit when he came on, but that last ball that was neither a shot or a pass was terrible, Could not understand why they played Brick in MF, How Paudie stayed on the field, he stopped chasing on the first goal which looked and was unacceptable, why it too so long for Lawlor to be taken off as he was heading for an early shower.
    I would agree with one of the earlier posts, not enough ball winners in the HF line was a big issue.
    Last year we should have beaten Clare in the U21's, but for some reason Quelly seemed to freeze when the game was there for the taking, this year, we had one of the best panels if not the best u21 panel ever in this county and we got creamed because of poor management.
    I am sure that neither Quelly or McGrath set out to lose games or as some people claim on here, to pick their favourites, they pick what they think are the best players. Yes Iwould agree that Paudie Mahony is an excellent club player for Ballygunner, but that does not mean he is going to be a great inter county player. the best club players do not always make the best county players, you will find players at intermediate and junior level that can be every bit as good if not a better county player than someone that shines at senior club level.

I honestly think at this stage we need a complete clear out of management and our over the hill players.

We then need to go with youth like JBM in Cork and stick with them for a few years.

The crucial thing though is that we need to have a Manager who is seen to be even handed across the board with all of the players.

I think that apart from our absurd game tactics, the fact that many of the players knew that McGrath wasn't being straight them led to complete demoralisation and absence of togetherness and spirit in the camp.

Alf Tupper wrote: »
    I honestly think at this stage we need a complete clear out of management and our over the hill players.

We then need to go with youth like JBM in Cork and stick with them for a few years.

The crucial thing though is that we need to have a Manager who is seen to be even handed across the board with all of the players.

I think that apart from our absurd game tactics, the fact that many of the players knew that McGrath wasn't being straight them led to complete demoralisation and absence of togetherness and spirit in the camp.

Most of our team are very young. Getting rid of the likes of Brick, Lawlor etc will only make us worse

Most of our team are very young. Getting rid of the likes of Brick, Lawlor etc will only make us worse

deisedude wrote: »

I think Lawlor and Brick still have much to offer.

I felt sorry for Lawlor last night, he was totally exposed. Our centre back went missing, it was only when Brick went back that the centre was held.

But as I said before, all our problems in defence emanated from we not being able to win 50-50 ball in our half forward line.

I think Lawlor and Brick still have much to offer.

I felt sorry for Lawlor last night, he was totally exposed. Our centre back went missing, it was only when Brick went back that the centre was held.

But as I said before, all our problems in defence emanated from we not being able to win 50-50 ball in our half forward line.

lawlor is 29 has another 3-4 years there if he wants it and is plenty good enough

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

deisedude wrote: »
    hanging on to the likes of Brick ,Mahony ,Moran,o Sullivan ,Walsh,o keefee, it is not going to get any better

hanging on to the likes of Brick ,Mahony ,Moran,o Sullivan ,Walsh,o keefee, it is not going to get any better

Ah come on, Brick, Soky and Moran still have so much to offer.

I know Moran hasn't been himself this year but I think he just doesn't have the nous and presence to play centre back. He definitely has a lot to offer around the middle of the field.

Soky is just about the best shot stopper in the game.

I agree about Mahony and O'Sullivan though, just don't have what it takes.

Gleeson and a fit Jake could take the frees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Deise_2012 wrote: »

he would be the right man for the job....but the co board wont be able to outpay rte
    skaface wrote: »
    We must all acknowledge at the end of the day that things haven't gone our way this year.
    Nobody goes out intentionally to play a bad game or not have a correct gameplan in place.
    At the end of the day, it is an amateur game and people, both players and management
    do what they do for the love of the game.
    A lot of posters are not happy at the moment, we are out of the C/ship for another year.
    We need to go away and recharge the batteries for next year and hopefully learn from
    our mistakes and drive on again next year

the mistakes from this year were well known early on....if they aren't after being learned from now...what makes you think they will be learnt over the winter???
    hopefully is just not good enough....the way it is now...it will take 2 years to get over the mess....he is after making of the team

the one valid critism of micheal ryan was that they weren't fit enough and that McGrath was going to drive them onto the next level....the way it is going now...they will do well not to avoid relegation to div 2

to go from giving the best performance against Kilkenny (who were all Ireland champs at the time) in years...possibly if things went better we could have beat them......to being played off the pitch and doing well not to be hammered by wexford who were playing for the third weekend in a row....is a worrying collapse in standereds....no mind performances of the team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 deisedoz

"Alf wrote:

I know Moran hasn't been himself this year but I think he just doesn't have the nous and presence to play centre back. He definitely has a lot to offer around the middle of the field

Surprised more hasn't been made of the above, it baffled me beyond belief why we moved Brick from CB, where he always holds his line and protects Lawlor. It was suggested to me that Moran demanded to start CB and Derek gave in and I would have no trouble believing that. He is simply too loose to play CB at intercounty and the amount of times he went AWOL, particularly for third goal, was unbelievable. He was even up in the forwards towards the end ffs!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement