Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,815 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

i knws it not really Gaa related but how come CTI (Waterford College Of Further Education) students are not allowed play with WIT GAA. I knw there not really connected but there not really that far apart (many cti courses are connected to WIT)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

robopaddy wrote: »
    Wasnt it o'regan played against galway? Didnt do anything wrong

Didn't have anything to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

PTH2009 wrote: »
    i knws it not really Gaa related but how come CTI (Waterford College Of Further Education) students are not allowed play with WIT GAA. I knw there not really connected but there not really that far apart (many cti courses are connected to WIT)

Im sure if there was a top player of note down there wit wouldnt be long snuffing him out...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Jerome Maher has apparently done very well for WIT in the Fitzgibbon, going by the reports I've read. Has he done enough to be considered for the seniors? I don't believe he's on the panel although I'm open to correction on that.
    I know we've a stupid amount of options for corner back spots so I'd imagine that would probably work against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭quintain

o'regan didn't do anything wrong
    Didn't have anything to do

I have nothing against the chap, but in the interests of basing our discussion on fact, it was his relatively short puck out landing in the hand of a Galway player that put them on the attack for the goal.

I think both goalies have made a couple of boo-boos on puck outs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭deisedude

Cake Man wrote: »
    Jerome Maher has apparently done very well for WIT in the Fitzgibbon, going by the reports I've read. Has he done enough to be considered for the seniors? I don't believe he's on the panel although I'm open to correction on that.
    I know we've a stupid amount of options for corner back spots so I'd imagine that would probably work against him.

Didn't look as good yesterday as our other options at corner back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

quintain wrote: »
    I have nothing against the chap, but in the interests of basing our discussion on fact, it was his relatively short puck out landing in the hand of a Galway player that put them on the attack for the goal.

I think both goalies have made a couple of boo-boos on puck outs

Soky was an all star nominee last year,and if Nash didn't exist reckon he would have got it, dont think with IOR, you could say the same, perfectly able, but just doesn't have that something special .

Either are superior to Clinton, sad but true .

Soky was an all star nominee last year,and if Nash didn't exist reckon he would have got it, dont think with IOR, you could say the same, perfectly able, but just doesn't have that something special .

Clinton was a safer pair of hands imo. Mightened have the class of either of the 2 boys but both ior and sok are capable of doing daft things. Sok is dodgy under the high ball this has been common knowledge since he let one in through his hand in a munster mhc game v clare dungarvan in 09. And clinton kept iggy out of the waterford side for a good few years. For good reason

Nope, pretty sure Pa Kelly and Nicky Quaid were the all-star nominees.
    Wrongly so mind you, and I do believe SOK is a different level of keeper to O'Regan who is in no way superior to Clinton.

If he was, how come he only got back on the panel after Clinton left? I guess Derek wasnts to look at his options in case SOK gets injured, or maybe try and make some competitiveness for places there. But I think we should be tryin to develop the 23 year old given he has the potential to be the best keeper in the Country.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

I'd rate soky, adrian power and clinton ahead of iggy meself.

• Advertisement

Wrongly so mind you, and I do believe SOK is a different level of keeper to O'Regan who is in no way superior to Clinton.

If he was, how come he only got back on the panel after Clinton left? I guess Derek wasnts to look at his options in case SOK gets injured, or maybe try and make some competitiveness for places there. But I think we should be tryin to develop the 23 year old given he has the potential to be the best keeper in the Country.

Wrong on the all star point,whoopsie, shame he wasnt guess we didnt get far enough.

are you forgetting clinton always turning his back in one on ones ? how many are you going to stop in that situation, very rare to see compared to the current crop ,who face it head on and i think i remember socky double blocking a one on one, no way could clinton manage that

Wrong on the all star point,whoopsie, shame he wasnt guess we didnt get far enough.

are you forgetting clinton always turning his back in one on ones ? how many are you going to stop in that situation, very rare to see compared to the current crop ,who face it head on and i think i remember socky double blocking a one on one, no way could clinton manage that

Any forwards who misses a one on one is a donkey, or at least if a one on one means like the goals in the Munster final in 2011 that Clinton got a lot of stick for. Alway assured under the high ball and was a good sho stopper, most notable his performances in 2007 and save v Clare the following year.

Under rated keeper on account of what was in front of him. Still not as good as SOK though, and that was the winter of his career.

Any forwards who misses a one on one is a donkey, or at least if a one on one means like the goals in the Munster final in 2011 that Clinton got a lot of stick for. Alway assured under the high ball and was a good sho stopper, most notable his performances in 2007 and save v Clare the following year.

Under rated keeper on account of what was in front of him. Still not as good as SOK though, and that was the winter of his career.

You can't stop shots when you turn your back, this he does a lot of .

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Footballers getting hammered. 1-15 to 0-5 latest. Ouch, long journey home for them

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

1-17 to 0-6 full time

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Hamstrings59

Some waste of money that Carew and his entourage have been!

If the decision went ballysaggarts way there wouldn't be a replay they'd be just awarded the game, few posters here seem to think there would be a replay, rule book means they'd be awarded. Apparantly they knew about these players being underage before the drawn game and said nothing until they were beaten. Awarding an all Ireland final in the boardroom isn't worth a curse to them at this stage unfortunately.

Great win for WIT yesterday and Friday, were serious underdogs for the wknd, great so many waterford lads involved pity it was a kk man that was captain though. Bonnard has some record in the fitzgibbon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Christ sake, Ballysaggart should just get over it, they lost the game fair and square, doesnt matter what age the young lad was. Theres a saying "If your good enough your old enough" and that young lad for the Antrim team was obviously good enough. They should just get over it and concentrate on the year ahead. Whats done is done. Personally I think its ridiculous carry on

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭revisionist

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Christ sake, Ballysaggart should just get over it, they lost the game fair and square, doesnt matter what age the young lad was. Theres a saying "If your good enough your old enough" and that young lad for the Antrim team was obviously good enough. They should just get over it and concentrate on the year ahead. Whats done is done. Personally I think its ridiculous carry on

Ridiculous logic...The other club broke the rules of the competition clearly. Throwing in a cliche like if you're old enough etc. is not a valid argument . They lost the game but certainly not fairly and squarely........

Ridiculous logic...The other club broke the rules of the competition clearly. Throwing in a cliche like if you're old enough etc. is not a valid argument . They lost the game but certainly not fairly and squarely........

Its still stupid though because it is a mickey mouse rule. It still doesnt matter, was still a 15 v 15 man game which they lost. Its not like the Antrim team had some ridiculously unfair advantage. Seems like sour grapes to me. Certainly wouldnt have been any complaints about it if they had won. Also the rule itself did state that as of January 1st 2014, the young lad in question was allowed to play adult hurling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭revisionist

Its still stupid though because it is a mickey mouse rule. It still doesnt matter, was still a 15 v 15 man game which they lost. Its not like the Antrim team had some ridiculously unfair advantage. Seems like sour grapes to me. Certainly wouldnt have been any complaints about it if they had won. Also the rule itself did state that as of January 1st 2014, the young lad in question was allowed to play adult hurling

That remains to be seen, and they did have an advantage given Ballysaggarts injury woes and inability to field some of their outstanding 16 year olds....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Seánie Barry of Lismore (Ray's brother), who is also on the senior panel (I think) is a far better goalie than Iggy O'Regan and should be the number 2 (if not number 1). He was the captain of the county minor team two years ago. He is brave, a good shot stopper, a good distributor of the ball and has a good puckout. Iggy in my view is not physical enough, not enough of a hurler and has a poor puckout. He cost Mount Sion a Munster title a few years ago when he turned back into the goal (a cardinal error) rather than take on the incoming forwards and had his attempted clearance blocked into the goal.

Clinton's biggest fault, in my view, was going down too early for close-in shots. Tipperary figured out that if you hit the ball at shoulder height into the middle of the goal it would nearly always hit the net as Clinton was already on or near the ground when the shot came in.

For what its worth creggan did gain an advantage by fielding the players. The younglad who scored 1-3 was the winning of the game and was creggans best forward. At the end of the day its junior hurling were talking about and all irelands dont come around every day for small rural clubs. Most of the people telling ballysaggart to 'grow up and move on' are from clubs or counties where success is taken for granted. They shouldnt have to apologise to anyone for questioning whether or not the rules were broken. Ballysaggart have completely been hung out to dry by the GAA in all this. The GAA still havent even decided what the rule is and ballysaggart just want to know if the players were illegal or not and all the while the good name of their club is being vindicated

For what its worth creggan did gain an advantage by fielding the players. The younglad who scored 1-3 was the winning of the game and was creggans best forward. At the end of the day its junior hurling were talking about and all irelands dont come around every day for small rural clubs. Most of the people telling ballysaggart to 'grow up and move on' are from clubs or counties where success is taken for granted. They shouldnt have to apologise to anyone for questioning whether or not the rules were broken. Ballysaggart have completely been hung out to dry by the GAA in all this. The GAA still havent even decided what the rule is and ballysaggart just want to know if the players were illegal or not and all the while the good name of their club is being vindicated

Its not really an advantage though when you think about it. Still a 15 versus 15 game plus subs. Its not like they were on performance enhancing steroids or something. They only fielded a young lad where based on the 1st January rule would have been 17 this coming year anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Dickys Back Garden

Giveitfong wrote: »
    Seánie Barry of Lismore (Ray's brother), who is also on the senior panel (I think) is a far better goalie than Iggy O'Regan and should be the number 2 (if not number 1). He was the captain of the county minor team two years ago. He is brave, a good shot stopper, a good distributor of the ball and has a good puckout. Iggy in my view is not physical enough, not enough of a hurler and has a poor puckout. He cost Mount Sion a Munster title a few years ago when he turned back into the goal (a cardinal error) rather than take on the incoming forwards and had his attempted clearance blocked into the goal.

Clinton's biggest fault, in my view, was going down too early for close-in shots. Tipperary figured out that if you hit the ball at shoulder height into the middle of the goal it would nearly always hit the net as Clinton was already on or near the ground when the shot came in.

With all due respect, I think anyone who watched Mt Sion's senior games throughout the year wouldn't agree with that opinion. Iggy, was outstanding in their progress to the semi final. In my view players' form in local championship should be a major factor in determining their place on the panel. If that is the case then Ian O' Regan's form over past two years has more than warranted his inclusion as an inter county goalkeeper. Some folk seem unable to forgive and forget the failings of a novice nineteen year old thrown to the wolves behind a very fragile full back line. Present form should count.

Its not really an advantage though when you think about it. Still a 15 versus 15 game plus subs. Its not like they were on performance enhancing steroids or something. They only fielded a young lad where based on the 1st January rule would have been 17 this coming year anyway

If there is no advantage they would have played a better player there obviously was as they were the best

So your saying its ok to break rules as long as it dosent give an advantage to someone.

Some waste of money that Carew and hi entourage have been!

If the decision went ballysaggarts way there wouldn't be a replay they'd be just awarded the game, few poster here seem to think there would be a replay, rule book means they'd be awarded. Apparantly they knew about these players being underage before the drawn game and said nothing until they were beaten. Awarding an all Ireland final in the boardroom isn't worth a curse to them at this stage unfortunately.

Great win for WIT yesterday and Friday, were serious underdogs for the wknd, great so many waterford lads involved pity it was a kk man that was captain though. Bonnard has some record in the fitzgibbon!

Why is it a pity a kk man was captain? Wit won a fitz in 03 without 1 waterford player on the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

Why is it a pity a kk man was captain? Wit won a fitz in 03 without 1 waterford player on the team.

It is a joke of a statement he made. It has nothing to do with county pride as I for one would not have been shouting on WIT if it was. They pick a captain who is the best man for the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭sid wallace

Justin took a dislike to Iggy after he got caught out and was blocked down by John O Brien going back across his own goal in a Munster club final against Toomevarra and gave away a goal that cost Mount Sion the title. That finished him on the county scene for about 5 years. Soky is the better shot stopper now but Iggy is the safer pair of hands. I think Soky needs a bit of genuine competition to keep focused but that may ultimately come from Seanie Barry who is probably the best of the three.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement