Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reeling in the years

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

Omackeral wrote: »
    Charlie Haughey was always in a car it seems. Always getting out of Dodge, maybe the window cracked a little bit. Big Mr.Burns/Harry Redknapp scheming headon him.

Kerb crawler-looking, if you asked me...

"How much fer a ride, deeear"?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

1ZRed wrote: »
    I read up on that a few weeks ago because I never heard of it. I don't use the word tragic, but that story was.

1993 was the year homosexuality was legalised here, I was kinda surprised it didn't get a mention.

Watched an episode (1996) for the first time in ages tonight. They featured Ireland's first *attempted" gay TV kiss on Fair City (I remember it) and the captions referenced the decriminalisation 3 years earlier.

I had thought this show only appealed as nostalgia to those that could actually remember the years but it's interesting to see so many young posters here really enjoying the show even though they'd have no recollection of the events. My favourite series was the 1980s as that was my "coming of age" era. Plus the music of that era is still my favourite ...soundtrack of my youth!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Does anyone know the name of the song that starts at 12:08

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkqLRWRKmPA

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

PucaMama wrote: »
    Does anyone know the name of the song that starts at 12:08

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkqLRWRKmPA
    Radiohead - Street Spirit (Fade Out)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Radiohead - Street Spirit (Fade Out)

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Keen2win

So would I be missing much from the original shows on the DVD's? Are they worth getting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Keen2win wrote: »
    So would I be missing much from the original shows on the DVD's? Are they worth getting?

The original episodes are 24 / 25 minutes. About 50% of this material appears on the various DVDs. They're worth buying if you see them for a tenner or less. Otherwise just record the originals onto a DVD recorder as they're broadcast. That's what I did over a few years and have a full set from 1962 - 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    The original episodes are 24 / 25 minutes. About 50% of this material appears on the various DVDs. They're worth buying if you see them for a tenner or less. Otherwise just record the originals onto a DVD recorder as they're broadcast. That's what I did over a few years and have a full set from 1962 - 2009.

I'll give you a tenner for a copy!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭JonSnuuu

Got the box set for christmas. The mother initially bought it as a stocking filler. I however praised it like the bible. Have watched it through about 10 times since I'd say. So addicting

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

They're like a big gang of angry Mr Benn Bean impersonators.

fyp:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

How far back does it go? I can see 1967 on YT, does it go back further?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

1962. That was the year RTE started broadcasting. It was also Larry Gogan's 30th year as a DJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dump! Jasus U2 in 1978 just on - appalling, you'd have to give them some credit for improving a bit.

Also why the feck doesn't RTE show 4:3 ratio material in the correct ratio?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,026 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

mike65 wrote: »
    Also why the feck doesn't RTE show 4:3 ratio material in the correct ratio?

It might be your set up that is forcing it to widescreen?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Caonima wrote: »
    Kerb crawler-looking, if you asked me...

"How much fer a ride, deeear"?

More likely, How much will you give me for a ride dear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It might be your set up that is forcing it to widescreen?

Nope, it should be 4:3 with the black bars either side, I shouldn't need to adjust the picture myself - any competent broadcaster would play it out correctly like ITV 3 and 4 do with their old programmes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,026 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

mike65 wrote: »
    Nope, it should be 4:3 with the black bars either side, I shouldn't need to adjust the picture myself - any competent broadcaster would play it out correctly like ITV 3 and 4 do with their old programmes.

You do if you force your TV to display the incoming signal as 16:9. A different story if it is on 'Automatic'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

The hair and dresses in the 1978 episode tonight were atrocious, a combination of bad hair days and mu mu's:D Was that Bono sticking his head in front of the camera in the march support of pirate radio/for independent radio? It was very quick and I was too lazy to rewind to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,425 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Possibly the only exceptional piece of TV RTE have ever managed to produce.

That and Come West Along the Road when it showed the good stuff.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭cml387

The hair and dresses in the 1978 episode tonight were atrocious, a combination of bad hair days and mu mu's:D Was that Bono sticking his head in front of the camera in the march support of pirate radio/for independent radio? It was very quick and I was too lazy to rewind to check.

All we had in those days was woad and axle grease.(young people today mutter mutter)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

That and Come West Along the Road when it showed the good stuff.

Spot on. Hands was very good as well I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

1990 is always my favourite.
    Italia WC Cup and Cork winning the Double highlights make it alone.

You do if you force your TV to display the incoming signal as 16:9. A different story if it is on 'Automatic'

Mike is correct. The HD feeds don't pillarbox 4:3 content, they stretch it to a 16:9 frame. The Simpsons on RTE Two is the same. SD on Sky and UPC still outputs correctly.

I'd expect a better technical standard from a PSB.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭newbie11

Excellent show, late 80s the best for me with all the changes in eastern Europe and the troubles in the north reaching a peak

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Karsini wrote: »
    Mike is correct. The HD feeds don't pillarbox 4:3 content, they stretch it to a 16:9 frame. The Simpsons on RTE Two is the same. SD on Sky and UPC still outputs correctly.

I'd expect a better technical standard from a PSB.

I always blamed myself or my TV for that. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭recyclops

having been watching the dvds i have decided my favourite aspect of the show is that the always show the all ireland football and hurling finals :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

That's the part that I have to suffer through in each episode! :D Small price to pay to see the rest of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,130 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

recyclops wrote: »
    having been watching the dvds i have decided my favourite aspect of the show is that the always show the all ireland football and hurling finals :p

I've a slight issue with that. Some of those finals were dreadful and contested by bad teams or hopelessly one sided and therefore a non event but I suppose the producers felt duty bound to include the footage no matter what, for fear of being slated by people from those counties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Strazdas wrote: »
    I've a slight issue with that. Some of those finals were dreadful and contested by bad teams or hopelessly one sided and therefore a non event but I suppose the producers felt duty bound to include the footage no matter what, for fear of being slated by people from those counties.

Don't see what's wrong with it tbh, it's probably the biggest sporting event Ireland has every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,130 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Don't see what's wrong with it tbh, it's probably the biggest sporting event Ireland has every year.

Yes, but they're really only showing it as such ie. as a big "event" in the calendar year. You could have the most atrocious final between two bad teams or a one sided final and it will still get an automatic showing on the programme : every other sporting clip is there on it's merits....Ireland winning the Tripe Crown or appearing at the football World Cup, Sonia O'Sullivan, Barry McGuigan, Padraig Harrington etc

Advertisement