Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reeling in the years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

I'll be honest - it often brings a lump to my throat for no discernible reason, especially the 80s ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

I'll be honest - it often brings a lump to my throat for no discernible reason, especially the 80s ones.
    Me too. And the early 90s ones. Bittersweet.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

The 00s ended three/four years ago - way too early for a Reeling In The Years of the decade to have been made.

They made the 00s one 2 years ago. Tbh it wasn't great, not enough distance from the events, imo. Thought the TG4 version was much better.

Me too. And the early 90s ones. Bittersweet.

I'm guessing you're about 33, same as me. Worst is the Bhopal disaster with Time after time by Cyndi Lauper playing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭dorkacle

My 'birth year' was on today :D such a good show! The 80's = best music ever!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,026 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

This is a great seris, I downloaded all the episodes 1969 to 1999 on a torrent last week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

1988 is the best one, Morrissey starts it off "Trudging slowly over wet sand..."

Ray Houghtons goal. Ian Paisley getting thrown out of the European Parliament. But the best bit is when Martin Cahill (The General) calls over an innocent bystander as a witness while being harrassed on the street by RTE :pac:

I think I know that one off by heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭dorkacle

I remember years ago seeing the different years for sale with birthday cards, I think it was in Arnotts.

Was tempted to buy the years for each of my family members there and then (even though their birthdays weren't coming up).

Regret not now, haven't seen it on sale anywhere since.

Can you actually buy them anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

You can get the DVDs but they're not as long as the equivalent years show on YouTube or RTE as they've cut out bits they couldn't get rights to. Well edited so you'd never know, but definitely 5 or so minutes shorter than the real episodes.

Aw 1993/1994, Rwanda, Jamie Bulger.... They always upset me so much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

This programme is not shown on rte1+1 for some reason?

• Advertisement

Apparently there is a lot of restrictions on DVDs and online because of the cost of royalties for the music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

People moaning about the state of the economy should watch hands. People makes anything from Reed baskets for the american tourist to people cutting stone completely by hand. It's amazing to think how much Ireland has changed in 40 years. Even in a recession the quality of life nowadays is fifty times better than then

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Glad I'm not the only one. I nearly get bleary eyed at every episode. The fall of Communism tonight was brilliantly accompanied by U2's All I Want Is You.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

I was watching one before and the caption said "Ireland revels in ecomonic success" or something along those lines.

I just had to laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

It's the best thing o RTE full stop. I get emotional watching it and I wasn't even born in the 80s :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

The clip when the Lotto is launched they ask Charlie Haughey what he would do if he won it. His answer was something along the lines of "I'd spent most on helping a lot of community organisations, definitely on sports [blah blah blah].... I might keep a bit for myself haw haw"
    End of the episode. Brilliant. They use hindsight extremely well.

Oh yeah and I love watching a good baton charge by the Gardaí as well.

That's the best part about it, with the benefit of proper hindsight they were able to pick up in things that weren't important at the time but were in hindsight. Pity they didn't wait for a few years to make the ones after 1999. Most of the things that they focused on will probably not be the things that we reflect on in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

You know when an R.E.M song comes on shíts about to get real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I think it's the 1986 episode where they do a bit on people emigrating and it makes me laugh every time...

"So you're going to London then (because you can't get a job in Ireland)... have you any qualifications or skills?

"No, none whatsoever"

I'd love to know what became of that man.

I seem to recall him wearing an eye-wateringly 80s Christmas jumper on that clip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

At 13.29 the man on the left is huuuuuugggggeeeeee. You get a glimpse of it swinging as he spins around. Must have hurt a few women in his time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Neeson wrote: »
    At 13.29 the man on the left is huuuuuugggggeeeeee. You get a glimpse of it swinging as he spins around. Must have hurt a few women in his time.

:eek: I had to watch it a few times just to make sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

Chucken wrote: »
    :eek: I had to watch it a few times just to make sure.

i bet ya did ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

dj jarvis wrote: »
    i bet ya did ;)

Tell the truth...so did you :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Easily my favourite programme on RTE. I actually look forward to the summer time when they show it after the news.

The episodes about the Troubles can be heartbreaking, and I wasn't even alive in the 80s. The makers really know how to tug on the heartstrings!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,092 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The only thing that annoys me about the show is when they occasionally play a Boomtown Rats music video

Sure they were ****e, and musically speaking not hugely significant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I'm getting on a bit myself at this stage.

Can't wait till they real back to '98 on the Pokemon craze :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Does anyone remember a forerunner to Reeling in the Years that RTE did in the early to mid 90s called shaking the 70's?It was a vaguely similar format but instead of a music soundtrack they had this kind of annoying voiceover by this smarmy sounding fella making all these unfunny jokes along the lines of "God what mad hairstyles we had back then".There was another series about the 60's that was called something else that I can't recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

The episode where they started to play "The Sound of Silence" while showing the photo of Myra Hindley was chilling.

I now associate that song with the Moors Murders.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    The episode where they started to play "The Sound of Silence" while showing the photo of Myra Hindley was chilling.

I now associate that song with the Moors Murders.
    Jesus yeah.The camera panning slowly in to her picture while the song plays.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 71 ✭✭Fratoue

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Is the best programme ever. That is all :pac:

Great show one of the few good shows that RTE have made, shows the decades of corruption, brown envelopes and one upmanship Ireland has gone though all set to that years best soundtrack not bad!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Possibly the only exceptional piece of TV RTE have ever managed to produce.

Advertisement