Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reeling in the years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,196 ✭✭✭✭L1011

dorkacle wrote: »
    I remember years ago seeing the different years for sale with birthday cards, I think it was in Arnotts.

Was tempted to buy the years for each of my family members there and then (even though their birthdays weren't coming up).

Regret not now, haven't seen it on sale anywhere since.

Can you actually buy them anywhere?

What you saw was a UK equivalent. Individual years are not available, there's compacted DVDs of decades. Few years are on youtube though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 Hedge11

hfallada wrote: »
    .... people cutting stone completely by hand.

:confused:Completely by hand? Like with a Karate chop?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

The only thing that annoys me about the show is when they occasionally play a Boomtown Rats music video

Sure they were ****e, and musically speaking not hugely significant

:eek: The Rats are one of the best bands ever.

Go and sit on the bold step for an hour.
    Possibly the only exceptional piece of TV RTE have ever managed to produce.

Love Hate ???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Glenroe?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Cool_CM wrote: »
    That's the best part about it, with the benefit of proper hindsight they were able to pick up in things that weren't important at the time but we're in hindsight. Pity they didn't wait for a few years to make the ones after 1999. Most of the things that they focused on will probably not be the things that we reflect on in a few years.
    I think 2009 was broadcast in 2010. I remember thinking 'sure, that's only just happened!' :o
    There was no sense of nostalgia because it was broadcast so soon.

I have all the episodes on DVD- I'll have to watch the 2000's again at some stage and see what they're like from a bit more of a distance!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Is the best programme ever. That is all :pac:

The BBC did it first - started in 1985- I always thought RTE version was a poor remake.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rock_'n'_Roll_Years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Possibly the only exceptional piece of TV RTE have ever managed to produce.

The Savage Eye?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I love it! Its like a quiz show.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

The clip when the Lotto is launched they ask Charlie Haughey what he would do if he won it. His answer was something along the lines of "I'd spent most on helping a lot of community organisations, definitely on sports [blah blah blah].... I might keep a bit for myself haw haw"
    End of the episode. Brilliant. They use hindsight extremely well.

Oh yeah and I love watching a good baton charge by the Gardaí as well.

There's an episode which ends with Bertie Ahern saying that tax evasion will not be tolerated and that he will take take great pleasure in seeing tax evaders caught.

It was made before Bertie's deeds all came to light but it was definitely intentional.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

Is the Haughey clip where he shows unbelievable jockeys bollix neck talking about his plans for hislotto winnings available to watch anywhere? I would love to see it again, it is jaw dropping :pac:

Nearly every episode is on youtube in full, but this one, 1987 I think, doesn't appear to be there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Love it, always delighted when I see its on.

Whats amazing is now matter what year or decade you watch the same themes are revisted, trouble in NI, corrupt politicians being exposed, emigration and the economy, the US knee deep in a foreign war, Israelis fighting with neighbours, Killkenny winning in hurling, Ireland unprepared for flooding etc
    The more things change the more they stay the same

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I was watching one for 1992 which played out with clips of P Flynn and other FF snakes delivering some typical FF spin, it was over the soundtrack of Charles & Eddy - Would I lie to You ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,078 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

i think the music being synced with the event makes the show.

Im 23 and have to admit the music from the 80's/early 90's ****s all over the music nowadays lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

PTH2009 wrote: »
    i think the music being synced with the event makes the show.

Im 23 and have to admit the music from the 80's/early 90's ****s all over the music nowadays lol

I know the music policy is obviously to play the most popular tracks from the given year in the episode regardless of how good or bad they are, but the contrast from the 2000 to 2010 series compared to, say, the 1980's one is shocking. The typical pop music really was dreadful that last decade. There quite simply were no successful acts in the old days as bad as the Black Eyed Peas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Chucken wrote: »
    :eek: I had to watch it a few times just to make sure.

The Forty Foot!
    The name of the cove is named after 'it' it seems!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

How did he get that big? Has to be a shower. Don't know how you'd find a pair of trousers to wear over that. Maybe he lives nude on the 40 foot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Compu Global Hyper Meganet

Definitely the best thing RTE has ever commissioned. Should be on a permanent loop, never taken off the schedules.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,853 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I love watching it too. My only complaint is that I think it should be an hour long instead of a half hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Today's reel was 1990. Very exciting year, lots happened.
    Watching the Romania penalties nearly made me cry but what was Bonner at for Schillaci's shot!?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭toodleytoo

Very sad part on this evening when it showed poor little Jamie Bulger.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I read up on that a few weeks ago because I never heard of it. I don't use the word tragic, but that story was.

1993 was the year homosexuality was legalised here, I was kinda surprised it didn't get a mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

Ive seen this whole series now a lot I watch it every time its on I love it

I wish RTE would re do it again and put some different news stories and music its a fabulous show I love watching them but just wish they would do another round surely there are other noteworthy news items of each year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I'm guessing you're about 33, same as me. Worst is the Bhopal disaster with Time after time by Cyndi Lauper playing

I'm 33 too, and yes, it's always the late 80's/early '90's episodes that get to me as well :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I'm always surprised at how much I've forgotten over the years when I watch it. I'm 40 so the 90's was really my decade, interesting to look back at things. The clips of raving brought back a lot of memories:o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭OU812

Pain in the you know what's having to wait until they do the decade.

The last one seemed rushed as if they felt they ha to do it & get it on screen, or maybe it's just fresher in my mind.

I do think they should do it yearly & show it early January & then maybe at the end of the decade they could release a DVD.

Would also like to see them cover the 50s & missing 60s years. I know RTE wasn't around but there would still be footage they could use.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭kirving

The 1995 episode is on, but both UPC and RTE.ie have it listed on their guides as 1996. It was incorrect last week too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

The 1995 episode is on, but both UPC and RTE.ie have it listed on their guides as 1996. It was incorrect last week too.

Stop the press!!!

Watched it and the biggest reminder was how ridiculous those Orangemen look in their bowler hats and swords/banners. That Drumcree saga was really pathetic and childish looking back.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Birroc wrote: »
    Stop the press!!!

Watched it and the biggest reminder was how ridiculous those Orangemen look in their bowler hats and swords/banners. That Drumcree saga was really pathetic and childish looking back.

They're like a big gang of angry Mr Benn impersonators.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

The 1960s episodes are the best and for me the most interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,044 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

They substituted an episode of it with some crappy programme with Richard Corrigan last week

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement