Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reeling in the years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

The reel got stuck in the projector.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭kirving

They substituted an episode of it with some crappy programme with Richard Corrigan last week

Sorry, might have been the weeks before, but it was wrong beforehand too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Chucken wrote: »
    He probably got a job. Thats what people did. Qualifications and skills?? You learnt on the job.

Was the right way to have kept it, certainly would be a hell of a lot better than shyte FAS courses or that Jobbridge dirt that they are shelling out now.

A reasonable wage and making the newbie feel like they are benefiting the business would be the best morale boost to keep people in whatever job, instead of keeping people out because they have no experience, how are they supposed to get it if bureaucratic employers won't give them a chance.

Also I love Reeling In The Years myself, I still even watch the repeats. The tunes totally go with the scenes they use. Fave would probably be the use of The Police's song "Invisible Sun" in the 1981 episode, during the Hunger Strike scene I think it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Someone might be able to answer this for me....

I saw an episode recently, probably from the 70's and there was a section focussing on Enda Kenny. Back then, he was of minor importance as far as I understand. It made me think that they might have "updated" the episode to better reflect the current state of things.

I don't think there's any electorate bending motive here whatever the answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

I saw an episode recently, probably from the 70's and there was a section focussing on Enda Kenny. Back then, he was of minor importance as far as I understand. It made me think that they might have "updated" the episode to better reflect the current state of things.

Think it was the episode where Enda got his father's seat in the Dail, I believe his father passed away and he just got his seat. Don't think they updated the episode, they just used the footage as Kenny is now another familiar face, probably used the footage to give people a laugh at Enda's Irish mid 70's hair!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

They substituted an episode of it with some crappy programme with Richard Corrigan last week

yea , i noticed that , was there something in that episode that they did not want to show for some reason ?

only big thing in the news that day was about Egypt , so cant see that having any affect on the showing of the program

any one any ideas why they would just pull that one episode and replace it with a ****ty Irish "celeb" cookery rubbish ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Like the 90's episodes myself,you can pretty much see the country slowly going to ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Like the 90's episodes myself,you can pretty much see the country slowly going to ****e.
    The opposite surely? Even if it was all an illusion...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Should make a part 2 of all the years, I'm sure there is other stuff that could be included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

The opposite surely? Even if it was all an illusion...

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,042 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

dj jarvis wrote: »
    yea , i noticed that , was there something in that episode that they did not want to show for some reason ?

only big thing in the news that day was about Egypt , so cant see that having any affect on the showing of the program

any one any ideas why they would just pull that one episode and replace it with a ****ty Irish "celeb" cookery rubbish ?

No

They showed the scheduled episode the next day

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,042 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Not really - Winning a bye election was newsworthy

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭OU812

I used to have the whole lot of these, went looking tonight & now can't find them !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Every time its on, i keep missing the year i was born. :/ Last time i got 1990 then missed 91 somehow and this year i missed and got 1992 :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

Any idea where I can see the most recent series dealing with the 2000s? Is it on RTE player...?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

The clip when the Lotto is launched they ask Charlie Haughey what he would do if he won it. His answer was something along the lines of "I'd spent most on helping a lot of community organisations, definitely on sports [blah blah blah].... I might keep a bit for myself haw haw"
    End of the episode. Brilliant. They use hindsight extremely well.

I think this is the reason it's best to leave a significant enough amount of time before making new episodes. More significant and poignant stories and accompanying music can be selected, seeing as how this some people in the future will most easily learn about our recent history.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Strange to think that in 25 years time some of us will be getting misty eyed over memories that havent even happened yet. Reeling in the years 2014. Wonder how it will look in 2039.

Great show, love the mid 80s - early 90s especially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

most of them are on youtube

• Advertisement

Nipples on spice girls video.

Tut tut

Jaysus Pat is a bastard. But when you look like Clark Kent you can have high standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Outstanding show. Such a simple concept, yet so powerful and emotive. Best thing RTE has done.

Hope they keep making it and never change the format.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Dave! wrote: »
    Outstanding show. Such a simple concept, yet so powerful and emotive. Best thing RTE has done.

Hope they keep making it and never change the format.

It is a pure rip off of the old BBC series 'Rock n Roll Years', but RTE did it well. Long may it continue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

They've been on so often now that it should be possible to record a full set onto a Sky box / DVD recorder with HDD.

Not sure if someone said this already, but that show should be on the Irish history syllabus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Was watching the 1996 one earlier and couldn't get over the divorce referendum and all the fuss around people who wanted to vote no. I just cannot get into the mindset of a person who thinks they should get to decide how others live their life because of their own personal religious beliefs and how they think that is justified. I didn't realise it passed by such a small amount (50.3%).

It would be really interesting to see if the same people still had a problem with it 18 years later and if they think it has caused the breakdown of society that they thought it would. Did all the terrible things they predicted come to pass? Would 49.7% of voters still be against it? It has interesting parallels with the current marriage equality debate.

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    I just cannot get into the mindset of a person who thinks they should get to decide how others live their life because of their own personal religious beliefs and how they think that is justified.

Because it's not 'their own' religious beliefs; it's the herd mentality. What's good for the goose etc.

Backwards neanderthal thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    Was watching the 1996 one earlier and couldn't get over the divorce referendum and all the fuss around people who wanted to vote no. I just cannot get into the mindset of a person who thinks they should get to decide how others live their life because of their own personal religious beliefs and how they think that is justified. I didn't realise it passed by such a small amount (50.3%).

It would be really interesting to see if the same people still had a problem with it 18 years later and if they think it has caused the breakdown of society that they thought it would. Did all the terrible things they predicted come to pass? Would 49.7% of voters still be against it? It has interesting parallels with the current marriage equality debate.

The fuss, as you call it, was about the wording of it. We already had a referendum in 1986 which was a disaster. People were worried, particularly women, that they would end up in poverty if they got divorced.
    It was a very alien idea at the time so you have to understand peoples worries.

Btw..I campaigned and voted to remove the ban on divorce and was a very proud lady to be number 68 in this country to be granted one ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Charlie Haughey was always in a car it seems. Always getting out of Dodge, maybe the window cracked a little bit. Big Mr.Burns/Harry Redknapp scheming headon him.

Advertisement