Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reeling in the years

Options
  • 08-08-2013 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭

Is the best programme ever. That is all :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Is the best programme ever. That is all :pac:
    All repeats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

See the man at the 40 foot? Looked like he had 40 inches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

I cant wait for the new series in 7 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

So that's how we had it people and yous think yous have it hard....get up the yard outofthat..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I watched it once and was like wtf I've seen this before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The soundtrack is the best part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Love a bit of reeling in the years, learn more than at school ! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Feckin Mary Harney when she was under 20 Stone!!! Still wouldn't tho :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

This is the best noughties episode, and best clip from that episode! Warnings of the economy crashing; now-disgraced bankers dismissing talk of a crash; irrelevant Hill of Tara hippies; Landsdowne Road getting demolished; Ireland v England in rugby at Crokers.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6OgiYhjtx4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I think it's the 1986 episode where they do a bit on people emigrating and it makes me laugh every time...

"So you're going to London then (because you can't get a job in Ireland)... have you any qualifications or skills?

"No, none whatsoever"

I'd love to know what became of that man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I think it's the 1986 episode where they do a bit on people emigrating and it makes me laugh every time...

"So you're going to London then (because you can't get a job in Ireland)... have you any qualifications or skills?

"No, none whatsoever"

He probably got a job. Thats what people did. Qualifications and skills?? You learnt on the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

"No, none whatsoever"

Phil Hogan?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

"No, none whatsoever"

He ended up running a major bank and cost the taxpayer €8.7 billion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Yeah it's a grand aul show. To a history nut like me, it's a blessing in disguise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

watch the one last night where the troubles featured alot. seeing michael stone throwing grenades in broad daylight at a funeral and then seeing the two soldiers being dragged from their car before they were later executed. fecking surreal to say the least.

great program.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Chucken wrote: »
    He probably got a job. Thats what people did. Qualifications and skills?? You learnt on the job.

True. Now we're all overqualified apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Gotta love the fact that the Northern Rock bank is right next door to a bookies, you'd wonder where your money was safer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 305 ✭✭Jimminy Mc Fukhead

Keith wrote: »

I don't think we have the luxury of waiting. Alright in an ideal world it would be nice for the stuff that really happened to be in the programs. But this involves it to put off making those programs for at least seven years. Sure we could all be dead at that stage. This stuff isn't hard to write - it's all pretty cyclical - Ive found that getting the music right is the key.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

the drugs were much better back then...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

My grandfather is always on it as he was a photographer for the Irish times for 4 decades , so anytime ANYTHING happened in dublin , he would be at it snapping away ,
    so he pops up nearly every episode ,
    i was pointing him out to my little girl (5) " look there is your great grand dad " , oh that's great daddy ,
    a few minutes later Ian Paisley popped up on the screen , and my little one shouts , " look look , its great granddad " , she thought i was pointing at dr no when i was first pointing out my granddad

so now she thinks dr no is her great granddad :eek:

Great show , love it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

dj jarvis wrote: »
    My grandfather is always on it as he was a photographer for the Irish times for 4 decades , so anytime ANYTHING happened in dublin , he would be at it snapping away ,
    so he pops up nearly every episode ,
    i was pointing him out to my little girl (5) " look there is your great grand dad " , oh that's great daddy ,
    a few minutes later Ian Paisley popped up on the screen , and my little one shouts , " look look , its great granddad " , she thought i was pointing at dr no when i was first pointing out my granddad

so now she thinks dr no is her great granddad :eek:

Great show , love it

The poor child :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

Keith wrote: »

its going to have pat rabbitte saying go way with your oul palaver

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

Also liked when a journo asked Rynolds what the 3rd secret of Fatima was and after an awkward 26 minute pause he replied "a religious thing"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

One of the best aspects of it is the combination of the music of the day over sometimes profound scenes/events.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Actually there is such a big enough gap since they last made the programme that they could easily make another series. It must be fairly cheap to make as well. It just takes a good eye, very good editing skills and someone who knows their music and someone who can match the music to the news story.

The Rock'N'Roll years I think it was called on BBC was a very good programme as well. Same idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

^^^
    R.I.T.Y. uses the Rock n' Roll Years formula. Does a very good job of it though.

The 00s ended three/four years ago - way too early for a Reeling In The Years of the decade to have been made.

The 80s one was first shown in the late 90s. Perfect timing IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Archeron

Good call OP, best show rte ever made IMO. The music choices are always brilliant for the scenes they show.
    I was only a nipper when a lot of the troubles happened and it's heart breaking to see what has happened in this country in decades past. It was actually on reeling in the years that I first saw the catholic refugees from the north spilling over the border, and the first time I saw the British embassy in Dublin being burned down. Powerful stuff.

I often watch this and think of the scene in The Fifth Element where Lelu gets upset at the violence of human history and decides we are not worth saving. For Gods sake, don't let her watch reeling in the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

The clip when the Lotto is launched they ask Charlie Haughey what he would do if he won it. His answer was something along the lines of "I'd spent most on helping a lot of community organisations, definitely on sports [blah blah blah].... I might keep a bit for myself haw haw"
    End of the episode. Brilliant. They use hindsight extremely well.

Oh yeah and I love watching a good baton charge by the Gardaí as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭inlikeflynn86

Tonight's episode ..... "Let Christy Take it" classic

Love that show :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Tommorow's will be good, love watching the aul highlights of Italia 90 ha ha

Advertisement