Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Thread - Limerick v Clare All Ireland Hurling Semi Final

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Niall Moran should have walked twice by the letter of the law, he had already struck a Clare player in the head in a confrontation prior to that incident.

He was only a liability anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Rightwing wrote: »
    He was only a liability anyway.

True and the game was effectively over at the time and it will probably be he's last intercounty game so no real sense in sending him off.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

it will probably be he's last intercounty game so no real sense in sending him off.

except for the message it would have sent that that behaviour won;t be tolerated under any circumstances.

understand your meaning, but allowing that gives the suggestion the laws can be ignored under certain circumstances

mossym wrote: »
    except for the message it would have sent that that behaviour won;t be tolerated under any circumstances.

understand your meaning, but allowing that gives the suggestion the laws can be ignored under certain circumstances

And I understand your meaning too, but you see, he sends him off then we have all and sundry crying 'why can't a referee just use common sense' they really can't win, I have no idea why anyone would become a referee!

And I understand your meaning too, but you see, he sends him off then we have all and sundry crying 'why can't a referee just use common sense' they really can't win, I have no idea why anyone would become a referee!

You are spot on. In fairness Moran has nothing to offer at this level, but his 'strikes' FFS,,,they were tiny taps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sasol

You are spot on. In fairness Moran has nothing to offer at this level, but his 'strikes' FFS,,,they were tiny taps.

They were strikes.

Immediately before he struck 19 year old Tony Kelly across the head, he wrecklessly swiped at Cian Dillion on the ground after Johnny ryan had blown Dillion for overcarrying.

He struck three Clare players (Dillion, Kelly and Bulger). To describe them as little taps is nonsense.

sasol wrote: »
    They were strikes.

Immediately before he struck 19 year old Tony Kelly across the head, he wrecklessly swiped at Cian Dillion on the ground after Johnny ryan had blown Dillion for overcarrying.

He struck three Clare players (Dillion, Kelly and Bulger). To describe them as little taps is nonsense.

Just a little bit of exaggeration. I'm not making excuses for him, but that was a tap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Hitting someone on the head with a Hurley deliberately is an automatic red card offence
    There's no such thing a a light tap with a hurl to the head

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Last night I could clearly hear the whack he gave Dillion on TV, so you couldn't really call it a tap.

marco_polo wrote: »
    Last night I could clearly hear the whack he gave Dillion on TV, so you couldn't really call it a tap.

Your TV must be turned up very loud ;)

• Advertisement

They were strikes.

Can you explain to me why you have named 3 Clare players and also Moran by reference but have only chosen to give the age of one, Tony Kelly's age has absolutely zero to do with it. Cheap shot trying the age card tbh.

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Hitting someone on the head with a Hurley deliberately is an automatic red card offence
    There's no such thing a a light tap with a hurl to the head

Just like when Seadna Morey tried to take Niall O'Meara's head off in the recent Munster final you mean???

Just a little bit of exaggeration. I'm not making excuses for him, but that was a tap.

Codswallop

It was an intentional strike at the head of a 19 year old. A red card offence, as correctly called out by Donal O Grady on the commentary Sunday.

At least I guess you say say he learned something in division 1b and lots more time down there to learn more nasty stuff.

To try and justify it is unforgivable.

Can you explain to me why you have named 3 Clare players and also Moran by reference but have only chosen to give the age of one, Tony Kelly's age has absolutely zero to do with it. Cheap shot trying the age card tbh.

Because any striking is a low offence.

Striking a 19 year old is even lower.

Codswallop

It was an intentional strike at the head of a 19 year old. A red card offence, as correctly called out by Donal O Grady on the commentary Sunday.

At least I guess you say say he learned something in division 1b and lots more time down there to learn more nasty stuff.

To try and justify it is unforgivable.

And again with the 19 year old bull, if you think he's age is a factor then perhaps he shouldn't be playing senior??

Cheap dig on Division 1b, Clare were there not too long ago themselves remember and were damn lucky not to be sent back there again this year.

Just like when Seadna Morey tried to take Niall O'Meara's head off in the recent Munster final you mean???

At least Morey was attempting to play the ball. The ball was not in play when Moran tried his antics. And the referee took Morey aside, dished out a yellow and awarded a free against him, which is far more than what Johnny Ryan did for Morans offences against Dillon and Kelly

Because any striking is a low offence.

Striking a 19 year old is even lower.

No offence but your talking through your hole, he's age is completely ireelevant, its like saying striking someone with brown eyes is worse than striking someone with green eyes, he is old enough to be playing and then he is old enough to take the consequences of that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Your TV must be turned up very loud ;)

Not really, there are mics all around the pitch and the Setanta commentary team we not speaking at the time.

At least Morey was attempting to play the ball. The ball was not in play when Moran tried his antics. And the referee took Morey aside, dished out a yellow and awarded a free against him, which is far more than what Johnny Ryan did for Morans offences against Dillon and Kelly

lol he hasn't much of a future if that was an effort to play the ball. O'Meara had the ball in he's hand before he even wound up.

And again with the 19 year old bull, if you think he's age is a factor then perhaps he shouldn't be playing senior??

Cheap dig on Division 1b, Clare were there not too long ago themselves remember and were damn lucky not to be sent back there again this year.

You are a knowledgeable poster, know your hurling. We've people who can't differentiate between strikes...they want someone off for the tiniest offence.

Then they are crying at the ref when he sends someone off like Horgan,,,who clearly shouldn't have been sent off. Ruining the game.

What Moran did was wrong, but FFS he wasn't going to injure anyone.

• Advertisement

Regardless of whether he meant it or not I think it was a reckless pull and also quite deserving of a red.

No offence but your talking through your hole, he's age is completely ireelevant, its like saying striking someone with brown eyes is worse than striking someone with green eyes, he is old enough to be playing and then he is old enough to take the consequences of that.

So the consequences of been a 19 year old intercounty hurler is that you should be prepared to be struck across the head without any punishment from the offender ?

Fair enough, we'll agree to disagree. Thats not how I know the game.

What Moran did was wrong, but FFS he wasn't going to injure anyone.

Exactly this and I mean the game was effectively over at this stage, I think Johnny Ryan used a bit of common sense and a red card would have achieved nothing.

So the consequences of been a 19 year old intercounty hurler is that you should be prepared to be struck across the head without any punishment from the offender ?

Fair enough, we'll agree to disagree. Thats not how I know the game.

No, the consequences are the same for every senior inter county hurler, their age is completely irrelevant, how hard is that to understand or are you trying to tell me its a bigger offence to strike Tony Kelly as opposed to Colin Ryan??

Exactly this and I mean the game was effectively over at this stage, I think Johnny Ryan used a bit of common sense and a red card would have achieved nothing.

Yeah, and this will be looked badly upon for the ref. Some donkey up in the stand who probably never had a hurley in his hand judging him.

lol he hasn't much of a future if that was an effort to play the ball. O'Meara had the ball in he's hand before he even wound up.

That is nothing short of a lie.

It happened right in front of me at the game and I watched it again afterwards. Morey was preparing to bat the ball long before O'Meara ogt anywhere near it. O'Meara got out a foot or two in front of him and got possesion while Morey was batting - it was a mistimed, possibly clumsy pull. To even try and compare it with what Moran did is ridiculous.

No, the consequences are the same for every senior inter county hurler, their age is completely irrelevant, how hard is that to understand or are you trying to tell me its a bigger offence to strike Tony Kelly as opposed to Colin Ryan??

You said that as a 19 year old, he should accept the consequences of intercounty hurling.
    Please answer the question I asked - is a consequence of playing intercounty hurling, that you should be prepared to be struck across the head ?

Age makes no difference in a striking offence, but as per my earlier point, striking a young fella is about as low as it can get in my opinion. If there was a Lohan or Baker playing you can be sure he wouldn't lash out at them. There is something cowardly about striking a young lad.

"What Moran did was wrong, but FFS he wasn't going to injure anyone. " - Should the referee only intervene and punish a player if a striking offence injures ? Pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

I wonder was there a reaction like this when the clare hurlers went to town when being beaten by galway a few years ago. About 3 of them should have been sent off. The guy who struck canning with the edge of the hurley should have gotten a year off.

Anyway no one is condoning anything moran done, it was wrong. But really you'd get harder taps to the head in the dressing room before a game.

Age is irrelevant.

I wonder was there a reaction like this when the clare hurlers went to town when being beaten by galway a few years ago. About 3 of them should have been sent off. The guy who struck canning with the edge of the hurley should have gotten a year off.

You are not comparing like with like - The guy who struck Canning rightfully received a red card. Unlike some here, I am not going to try and justify striking just because it is my own team.

In the Kelly incident, Moran struck twice and got no card and Limerick received a free!!!

• Advertisement

You are not comparing like with like - The guy who struck Canning rightfully received a red card. Unlike some here, I am not going to try and justify striking just because it is my own team.
    In the Kelly incident, Moran struck twice and got no card and Limerick received a free!!!

You have a very very short memory.

Advertisement