Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Thread - Limerick v Clare All Ireland Hurling Semi Final

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭AnotherView

G2ECE wrote: »
    The recently built sports campus is on the Clare side but the main campus is in Limerick, there are a few bridges joining it up.

A yeah the great Clare /Limerick divide....must have made all the difference !...the berlin wall had nothing on it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Reg_hurley

Browney7 wrote: »
    Not sour grapes by any means and Clare were full value today for their win but Davy Fitz should not be let on the sideline for the AI final. Trying to influence the linesmen by running up the touchline to remonstrate with him when he called the refs attention to give a point and then running on to the field when a decision doesn't go his way. No wonder no one likes him. Yes he's a passionate GAA man but he should not get away with his conduct today.

Was talking to a Clare fan on the bus after and he said part of him wouldn't have minded Clare losing to Laois so that they might have gotten rid of him.

I'm not defending Davy's actions but you've left out the bit were John Allen and two selectors influenced the linesman. Before their involvement it didnt look like the linesman had any intention of getting involved.
    I'm sure that played a large part in how and why he reacted to it.
    I know why the Limerick selectors approached the linesman (because it was a point) but I can also see why Davy reacted (although very much over the top).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Clare won,,no complaints. I don't mind Davy Fitz, he adds a bit of colour. That could be Clare's best performance gone though, everything seemed to go right for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sasol

Not sour grapes by any means and Clare were full value today for their win but Davy Fitz should not be let on the sideline for the AI final. Trying to influence the linesmen by running up the touchline to remonstrate with him when he called the refs attention to give a point and then running on to the field when a decision doesn't go his way. No wonder no one likes him. Yes he's a passionate GAA man but he should not get away with his conduct today.

This sounds very much like sour grapes to me.

Why don't you have a look back at the incident where Davy ran onto the field ?

Let me remind you - Niall Moran drew a dirty swipe at a Clare player lying on the ground (red card offence). Tony Kelly came in and Moran hit him across the face with hurley (red card offence) and then the ref awards a free to Limerick.

Say what you like, but that was a disgraceful decision and Davy had every right to be agitated. Don't ever get me started on Moran.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

David Fitz has to be banned for final he ran on to pitch like a mad man shouting at the ref any other sport he be sent off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

kraggy wrote: »
    Davy Fitzgerald is reason enough to not want Clare to win. The way their players rubbed it in at the end provides even more reason. Scum. Absolutely vile hurling county.
    Sometimes a picture can speak a thousand words.....................

Colm Gavin, Clare comforts Declan Hannon, Limerick after the game.

SPT_20130819_SHA_004_28638403_I1.JPG

Photo copyright - Irish Independent

Rightwing wrote: »
    Clare won,,no complaints. I don't mind Davy Fitz, he adds a bit of colour. That could be Clare's best performance gone though, everything seemed to go right for them.
    I really hope you're wrong but yesterday did remind me a little of the Galway hurlers last year.

Galway gave a brilliant performance against Cork in the All Ireland Semi-Final and there was massive hype about them for the All-Ireland; (almost) everyone wanted them to win but it wasn't to be. In my opinion, that game against Cork was their best game last year, I hope Clare will learn from Galway's 2012 experience.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Nice photo, didn't enjoy seeing a young fella have an off day in such a big game, but I'm sure Hannon will have many better days ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Clare are improving with every game, the style is getting more fluent. Best performance to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

After half time when we put up two scores the hill got behind them. It seemed every time we got a head of steam up Clare scored a point from another parish or else we hit a morale sapping wide. The team have to give the fans something to get behind them.

For a county that has won jack sh1t for years we've an amazing support. Consistently more supporters in Munster championship than Waterford and Clare. Fat lot of good it did. It probably inspired Clare to be honest

Limerick has nearly 70k more people than Clare, u do the math

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

sasol wrote: »
    This sounds very much like sour grapes to me.

Why don't you have a look back at the incident where Davy ran onto the field ?

Let me remind you - Niall Moran drew a dirty swipe at a Clare player lying on the ground (red card offence). Tony Kelly came in and Moran hit him across the face with hurley (red card offence) and then the ref awards a free to Limerick.

Say what you like, but that was a disgraceful decision and Davy had every right to be agitated. Don't ever get me started on Moran.

Yeah Moran shouldn't have done it but Davy shouldn't have entered the field either. Two wrongs don't make a right. Should we just write rules to say if a bad decision is made a manager can run onto the field and go mental?

JBM could have felt rightly aggrieved when Liam Rushe tried to castrate pa Horgan but you didn't see him running onto the field. I've nothing against the man. He voluntarily ran a training session for a panel I was involved in years ago and we thought it was a great session. He's a great GAA man but a manager of an intercounty team shouldn't run onto the field during the game like he did. Do you agree or disagree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Warper wrote: »

According to whom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I really hope you're wrong but yesterday did remind me a little of the Galway hurlers last year.

Galway gave a brilliant performance against Cork in the All Ireland Semi-Final and there was massive hype about them for the All-Ireland; (almost) everyone wanted them to win but it wasn't to be. In my opinion, that game against Cork was their best game last year, I hope Clare will learn from Galway's 2012 experience.

Galway were not anywhere near brilliant against Cork last year :confused: Actually, Cork were far closer to Galway than most expected. Galway never opened up at all in that semi-final in the way they did in Leinster.

Galways brilliant performance came in the Leinster final last year.

Yeah Moran shouldn't have done it but Davy shouldn't have entered the field either. Two wrongs don't make a right. Should we just write rules to say if a bad decision is made a manager can run onto the field and go mental?

JBM could have felt rightly aggrieved when Liam Rushe tried to castrate pa Horgan but you didn't see him running onto the field. I've nothing against the man. He voluntarily ran a training session for a panel I was involved in years ago and we thought it was a great session. He's a great GAA man but a manager of an intercounty team shouldn't run onto the field during the game like he did. Do you agree or disagree?

Totally different things. When Rushe struck Horgan, he was pulled aside and issued with a yellow card.

When Moran struck two players in the space of a couple of seconds, the referree awards Morans team the free.

So after what Moran did, and how the referree reacted (free to Limerick), you are telling me that Davy had no reason to be agrrieved ? Try and take off your green and white glasses before answering.

Warper wrote: »

Clare's support of the team has been very poor. I remember back in the GG in '96,,,sardines. They may come out again now/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Totally different things. When Rushe struck Horgan, he was pulled aside and issued with a yellow card.

When Moran struck two players in the space of a couple of seconds, the referree awards Morans team the free.

So after what Moran did, and how the referree reacted (free to Limerick), you are telling me that Davy had no reason to be agrrieved ? Try and take off your green and white glasses before answering.
    Course he had reason to be aggrieved. Still shouldn't have encroached on the field though. Do you think it was acceptable taking off the saffron and blue glasses before answering ;-)?

Galway were not anywhere near brilliant against Cork last year :confused: Actually, Cork were far closer to Galway than most expected. Galway never opened up at all in that semi-final in the way they did in Leinster.

Galways brilliant performance came in the Leinster final last year.
    My apologies, you're right, I got my games mixed up. My point remains the same though, there was huge expectation and hype around Galway going into the All Ireland Final last year, I just hope that same doesn't happen to Clare.

MrsD007 wrote: »
    My apologies, you're right, I got my games mixed up. My point remains the same though, there was huge expectation and hype around Galway going into the All Ireland Final last year, I just hope that same doesn't happen to Clare.

I dont think it will. I feel Galway reached their peak at the Leinster final last year. I think this Clare team have potential to improve.

John Conlon & your number 9 (whose name escapes me right now) & Colin McGrath are all capable of performing better than they did yesterday. In Galways Leinster final, every one of them seemed to have a stormer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

To be fair the Clareman should not have stood over Moran mocking him to his face, could he not have accepted his victory graciously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

To be fair the Clareman should not have stood over Moran mocking him to his face, could he not have accepted his victory graciously?
    I wouldnt read too much in to it.Spur of the moment,rush of the blood.
    When horgan got sent off,paudie o brien showed hes delight ,coughlan got carried away with shefflin sending off.

And in fairness o brien wrote a letter to get horgan appeal won,afterwards which showed when the dust settle their was respect their.

There was no malice by the clare man,just raw emotion.

The limerick player would have probably done the same if he had half the chance.
    It shoudnt happen but its part and parcel of the game.

• Advertisement

That incident was a few minutes after the incident I was referring to.

Ordinarily I would agree with you, but perhaps Bulger was reminding Moran what a classless act it was striking 2 players, one of whom is only 19 years old. Moran must be proud. Division 1B is made for players like him, he'll be glad of another few years down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

The Clare lads will have no fear of Cork. They've been beating them all through underage, plus twice in the league this year so it's not an issue. They're confident lads.

I don't really see Cork getting goals in the final, whereas I think Honan could be the key man for Clare in the final, particularly if he's on McDonnell again. Goals win games, and I'm not sure we'll see poor finishing/Nash's heroics like in the Munster game.

Only downside was Davy running onto the pitch during the game shouting at the ref.
    He appeared to get most annoyed over the Limerick point where the referee over-ruled the umpire, but it was clearly inside the post. Not that it's ever acceptable behavior, but when the referee has made a correct and sensible decision, he shouldn't be subjected to abuse from the manager who shouldn't even be on the pitch.
    I like Davy as a coach, but abusing referees isn't "wearing your heart on your sleeve"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

The Clare lads will have no fear of Cork. They've been beating them all through underage, plus twice in the league this year so it's not an issue. They're confident lads.

I don't really see Cork getting goals in the final, whereas I think Honan could be the key man for Clare in the final, particularly if he's on McDonnell again. Goals win games, and I'm not sure we'll see poor finishing/Nash's heroics like in the Munster game.

Only downside was Davy running onto the pitch during the game shouting at the ref.
    He appeared to get most annoyed over the Limerick point where the referee over-ruled the umpire, but it was clearly inside the post. Not that it's ever acceptable behavior, but when the referee has made a correct and sensible decision, he shouldn't be subjected to abuse from the manager who shouldn't even be on the pitch.
    I like Davy as a coach, but abusing referees isn't "wearing your heart on your sleeve"

Thats it keep writing off Cork. We love it. KK were supposed to hammer us they didnt. Dublin were supposed to be too good for us. They werent. Clare are now better than us eventhough we already hammered them in Munster already. Bring on round 2. We may not need goals to beat Clare we might have enough on the scoreboard already. Cork are going into an All Ireland Final with 30 All Irelands. Clare with 3. We all know what happened Davy in his last All Ireland. Whoes to say a team managed by Davy could flop again? He could be in for a nasty surprise. I just think Clare are bit overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Amprodude wrote: »
    Thats it keep writing off Cork. We love it. KK were supposed to hammer us they didnt. Dublin were supposed to be too good for us. They werent. Clare are now better than us eventhough we already hammered them in Munster already. Bring on round 2. We may not need goals to beat Clare we might have enough on the scoreboard already. Cork are going into an All Ireland Final with 30 All Irelands. Clare with 3. We all know what happened Davy in his last All Ireland. Whoes to say a team managed by Davy could flop again? He could be in for a nasty surprise. I just think Clare are bit overrated.

Who is writing off cork. Cork are huge favorites for this. Most of the people that were writing off cork against KK and Dublin were your own supporters. Lets just hope the ref doesn't change the game in your favour again.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

When horgan got sent off,paudie o brien showed hes delight

Paudie O'Brien didn't know Horgan had been sent off till he got to the dressing room at half time so unless you were in the dressing you won't know how he reacted.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Amprodude wrote: »
    How's that pedestal treating you? Sure is great you've won so many...want the medals now so?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

That Munster semi second half collapse is a lot more recent than the underage and league games you refer to. Davy was caught out badly that day.

In fairness, he has really fixed things in his approach since then and totally outfoxed the wily Allen with last Sunday's tactics. The 'confidence' you refer to would not serve Davy's players well on Sept 8. I think taking that MC second half and the Cork-Kilkenny game into account, the rebels deserve the favourites tag.

I think Cork will win it, and win well. We'd have done a number on Cork tho :mad:

For all Clare's dominance, they only won by 7,,,,,flukey goal,,,,everything they hit went over,,,our missed frees.

I think Cork will win it, and win well. We'd have done a number on Cork tho :mad:

For all Clare's dominance, they only won by 7,,,,,flukey goal,,,,everything they hit went over,,,our missed frees.

How was that a flukey goal? It was a very dangerous ball into the full forward. If Limerick were good enough, they would have dealt with it. Limerick were not good enough. Some very serious bitterness being directed towards Clare's victory from Limerick people on here.....

And "everything they hit went over", Well guess what, thats because Clare have some very very accurate players, Kelly, Ryan etc. I agree if Limerick had Tony Kelly, Colin Ryan, Podge Collins on their team, they probably would have won!

• Advertisement

How was that a flukey goal? It was a very dangerous ball into the full forward. If Limerick were good enough, they would have dealt with it. Limerick were not good enough. Some very serious bitterness being directed towards Clare's victory from Limerick people on here.....

And "everything they hit went over", Well guess what, thats because Clare have some very very accurate players, Kelly, Ryan etc. I agree if Limerick had Tony Kelly, Colin Ryan, Podge Collins on their team, they probably would have won!

I think the big chap kicked the ball without even knowing he kicked it, he was falling,,,,now that's flukey.

As for the shots,,you've that all wrong. Some days they go over, and some days they don't. Cork missed loads v us in the munster final, on another day they'd have gone over. Clare missed loads v Wexford. It just happens.
    That's not being bitter, everyone congratulated Clare and wishes them well.

Advertisement