Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Thread - Limerick v Clare All Ireland Hurling Semi Final

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Ryu Hayabusa

Niall Moran should have gotten a red with his dirty tinker pull

• Registered Users Posts: 34,069 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Niall Moran should have gotten a red with his dirty tinker pull

1 or 2 players were lucky today, especially few Limerick lads.

Wasnt a dirty game just few Limerick lads seem get frustrated at differerent stages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭AnotherView

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
    THETHETHETHETHETHETHETHETHETHETHETHETHETHETHETHETHETHETHETHE
    BANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Sorry had to be done :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Bitterly disappointed as an avid Limerick supporter. I don't remember 73' - too young. This year was a glorious chance to bridge the gap, no Cats, Tipp or Galway to worry about and Cork and Clare were building up and still there to be taken. I often feel it'll never happen but I suppose it will one day. 41 years and beyond now....don't care who wins now to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭corny

History proves my theory has some backup anyway.

The most recent one was 2009 football final 1-3 to point up and we fell in our arse all cause it was kerry.

Anyway its not something that will come in this time.

So wait, you got 1-3 up but then suddenly the paralysis struck?

History doesn't prove you right btw. You're making a link where none might exist. Who are you to say Limerick lost on the basis of history. Any other team and the cliche would be the 5 week break was responsible.

• Advertisement

corny wrote: »

History doesn't prove you right btw. You're making a link where none might exist. Who are you to say Limerick lost on the basis of history. Any other team and the cliche would be the 5 week break was responsible.

I never said a team lost on history. All I said is that it can have a effect on teams mentally and yes history has proven it to be the case

topic over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Personally I think lack of games played a big part in comparison to Clare. Youd have to say that only 3 games in about 18 weeks compared to 5 (albeit one v Laois) in 11 is significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

Just my own theory/thoughts ... as a neutral

Limerick while happy with a Munster title -- have not ACTUALLY made any improvements this year ; is the Munster title only putting a gloss on it? Beat Tipp subsequently seen to be a poor Tipp..... beat Cork who on another day would have been well ahead ahead at half time and missing their best player for 2nd half, totally outhurled by Clare today .... can,t see the improvement myself but it's only my opinion/theory.

any thoughts??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

JFlah wrote: »
    Just my own theory/thoughts ... as a neutral

Limerick while happy with a Munster title -- have not ACTUALLY made any improvements this year ; is the Munster title only putting a gloss on it? Beat Tipp subsequently seen to be a poor Tipp..... beat Cork who on another day would have been well ahead ahead at half time and missing their best player for 2nd half, totally outhurled by Clare today .... can,t see the improvement myself but it's only my opinion/theory.

any thoughts??

Absolutely agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Yeah but I think this year will send Limerick in the right direction. Waiting a long time for that Munster title and the minors winning a Munster as well, coupled with the u21s a few years ago and hurling is definitely on the right track their. Ye have JPs investment, and great work being done underage (the u16s and 17s being succesful last year) and also you see the facilities in a place like UL now with the all weather pitch and would think that can only be good news for development squads and indeed for the college, which is great for ye because it seems college hurling is playing a large role in keeping Cork hurling going at the minute.

I know what you're feeling personally...in Croke Park I've been to 8 semis and only seen us win one, and that's excluding the one quarter final loss we had in 2005. And I have sometimes the last few years questioned whether Waterford would ever win an all-ireland. But my hope is renknewed and I believe one day we'll get there. And I think Limerick will too. Unlike a lot of people, I think that this years championship is a slightly earlier than expected renaissance in the making. I do feel that there is likely to be an answer next year from Tipp and probably Kilkenny but sooner or later Kilkenny are going to bne left with the task of building a pretty new team. Whatever happens next year, we are entering an era of competitiveness that I hope will outlast the 90s. And Limerick will have a big part in that yet.

I'll put it this way to you, think of 2009 and 2010 compared to know. That's not bad progress in 3 years :)
    You make a lot of valid points,but cork and clare and donegal have came a long way and farther in their codes, in a short space of time,as they have an astue manager.

Tipp,kilkenny,etc and Cork will be much stronger next year with clare,im certain limerick wont under allen.

Outside of the gaelic grounds,beat a 14 man cork,i dont think they made huge progress.

They made some,but i dont think its been great.They wont win an allireland under allen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭MfMan

Poor Evanne Ni Chuilinn needs to do the math - said Clare won by 6 on the RTE News report.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭corny

I never said a team lost on history. All I said is that it can have a effect on teams mentally and yes history has proven it to be the case

topic over.

You made such a convincing argument so fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,001 ✭✭✭Hitchens

When Der Fuhrer was told the result he wept and said - "unbegrenzt Herzschmerz" :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dampintheattic

kraggy wrote: »
    To rub it in against your opponents in an amateur sport is loutish behavior. End of.

Only one loutish post on this thread. That was from you. Are you a Milwall fan by any chance?

You made such a convincing argument so fair enough.

well it was more than what you proved..least I gave examples;)

gl

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Rebel Fan

Have to feel a bit for the Limerick lads today, everything that could go wrong did, missed a hatful of chances that on another day would've went over. All the disappointed lads on here, remember the Gaelic Grounds 5 weeks ago. I know the heads are down but they'll be back again. A very good young team with the conveyor belt of underage talent starting to produce as well. Clare were clinical with their finishing, especially in the 2nd half and deserved the win. JBM will have learned a lot from today's game and hopefully will put it to good use in 3 weeks time. Should be a great final, down to the last 5 minutes I think. CORCAIGH ABU!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Drico

Thanks for the nice words, but nah. Limerick's role in hurling is to swashbuckle out of Munster once every generation and lose miserably to whichever nascent county is on the rise at any given time. In 1980 it was Galway, in 1994 it was Offaly, in 1996 it was Wexford. In fact, since Limerick last won the All-Ireland 40 years ago, we've only beaten Antrim and Waterford at Croke Park.

Our problem is that we seem to think we're at the top table with the odd win over Cork or Tipperary. We can live with losing to the likes of Kilkenny in an All-Ireland series but as soon as we're up against anybody else other than the big three, we puff out our collective chests and imagine ourselves to have some birthright that makes us favourites to take the prize. The reality is, when the chips are down, we tend to lose to not just the very top counties, but the rest as well.

It would be one thing to find Cork, Kilkenny, or Tipperary a bridge too far at Croke Park. Our problem is we find everyone else insurmountable too, by and large. Our tradition is now one of hubris followed by disaster. Beating Cork or Tipperary in the past and coming out of Munster meant a shot at the All-Ireland title. Now, with the backdoor, it just means you get another shot at winning a second Munster title in one year.

To win the All-Ireland this year, Limerick had to win two Munster titles in one year. We are good enough to win one, but it's a rare Limerick team to win back-to-back Munsters, and we've yet to see one who can win two in the space of three months.

Good luck, Clare. At least you won't shrink on the big day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Just watchin the Sunday Game. What the fook are RTE at with the dramatic music played over the interviews with the managers at the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Drico wrote: »
    Thanks for the nice words, but nah. Limerick's role in hurling is to swashbuckle out of Munster once every generation and lose miserably to whichever nascent county is on the rise at any given time. In 1980 it was Galway, in 1994 it was Offaly, in 1996 it was Wexford. In fact, since Limerick last won the All-Ireland 40 years ago, we've only beaten Antrim and Waterford at Croke Park.

Our problem is that we seem to think we're at the top table with the odd win over Cork or Tipperary. We can live with losing to the likes of Kilkenny in an All-Ireland series but as soon as we're up against anybody else other than the big three, we puff out our collective chests and imagine ourselves to have some birthright that makes us favourites to take the prize. The reality is, when the chips are down, we tend to lose to not just the very top counties, but the rest as well.

It would be one thing to find Cork, Kilkenny, or Tipperary a bridge too far at Croke Park. Our problem is we find everyone else insurmountable too, by and large. Our tradition is now one of hubris followed by disaster. Beating Cork or Tipperary in the past and coming out of Munster meant a shot at the All-Ireland title. Now, with the backdoor, it just means you get another shot at winning a second Munster title in one year.

To win the All-Ireland this year, Limerick had to win two Munster titles in one year. We are good enough to win one, but it's a rare Limerick team to win back-to-back Munsters, and we've yet to see one who can win two in the space of three months.

Good luck, Clare. At least you won't shrink on the big day.

We beat Clare in 2007 but I agree with the sentiment of your post

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Lennonist wrote: »
    Just watchin the Sunday Game. What the fook are RTE at with the dramatic music played over the interviews with the managers at the end?

Hype it up all basically. Davy vs Allen thing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

road_high wrote: »
    Hype it up all basically. Davy vs Allen thing
    Yeah like in the boxing.

Davy beat and destroyed Allen ,with hes hands tied behind hes back.To hear davy interviewed before the game,clinical,conviction echoed hes tone,you just knew he would win.

Allen seemed like ,ah we will turn up,sure anything can happen on the day.

And hes interview afterwards doesnt inspire confidence for the future.

Browney7 wrote: »
    We beat Clare in 2007 but I agree with the sentiment of your post

You're correct, of course. I suppose I'm thinking of semi-finals and finals when I say Croke Park because the quarters tend to be played everywhere. Our record is truly depressing.

We lack a tradition of recent success and I think that contributes to the hype that so often seems to overwhelm our players when they emerge at Croke Park. Any success in Munster is magnified when the battle is really only beginning after that. Our players, already feted as heroes, have too much to lose to actually win when they get to Dublin. They are afraid of losing what they have and freeze. We're more afraid of losing than winning.

Of course, I'd argue we're not as talented as we need to be either, but today showed that even the talented could be reduced to gibbering wrecks by the expectation and occasion.

It's so bad now that I don't actually expect to see an All-Ireland in my lifetime and I was only born a year before we won our last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Skobie 69

Limerick just never showed up today but you can't take anything away from Clare. They beat Galway & people wrote that win off because Galway weren't great this year. Now the same thing is said because Limerick didn't get going at all today but Limerick weren't allowed to get into their game by a very good young Clare team. You can only beat what's put in front of you & Clare have done enough of that recently to warrant being real contenders to beat Cork in the final. I wish them the best for the final.

Limerick have moved on a level but they will rarely have as good a chance to put their all-Ireland hoodoo to bed as this year. Clare will be even better next year - Tipp will have moved up a level & Kilkenny will want to make up for a poor championship by their standards. They certainly have the production line for it. Galway should improve & Dublin will be an even bigger danger next year. Limerick though need consistency and to bring their A game over an entire championship, not just the flashes of brilliance that have been so rarely built upon over the last 40 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Drico wrote: »
    You're correct, of course. I suppose I'm thinking of semi-finals and finals when I say Croke Park because the quarters tend to be played everywhere. Our record is truly depressing.

We lack a tradition of recent success and I think that contributes to the hype that so often seems to overwhelm our players when they emerge at Croke Park. Any success in Munster is magnified when the battle is really only beginning after that. Our players, already feted as heroes, have too much to lose to actually win when they get to Dublin. They are afraid of losing what they have and freeze. We're more afraid of losing than winning.

Of course, I'd argue we're not as talented as we need to be either, but today showed that even the talented could be reduced to gibbering wrecks by the expectation and occasion.

It's so bad now that I don't actually expect to see an All-Ireland in my lifetime and I was only born a year before we won our last one.

This 1 hurts, but at least we won munster. I'm afraid your last sentence is everyone's fear.

Nobody is taking anything away from Clare. They played bravely, courageously, and magnificently.

However, this idea that Clare "didn't let Limerick play" just doesn't explain how Limerick's free-taker dissolved in a pool of his own terror on the big day.

Limerick beat themselves. Clare just had to be competent - and they are better than that.

All of which takes nothing at all away from a Clare team that has every chance of winning the final. It certainly won't be for a lack of testicular fortitude if they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

What a disappointing day. Our shooting was absolutely shocking. Fair play to Clare and Colin Ryan was flawless in particular. Feel a bit for Declan Hannon, but he is young and will bounce back. Hope Seams Hickey is ok. Was sitting only a couple of rows back and he looked in utter agony.

Minor match was error strewn (hawkeye included) but enjoyable and the young lads did their best. Galway - Waterford be good final

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

No heart, no fight. Supporters deserve more. Much more.

The same supporters who didn't get behind their team today? I was shocked at how quiet the Limerick support was today.
    They outnumbered Clare at least 2 to 1 but it was as if it was the other way around. They never got behind their team & even when Niall Moran tried to get the crowd going they didn't react. The song "sing when you're winning" springs to mind.

Yeah, I thought the Limerick minors did well to win Munster - I thought Waterford were far superior in the drawn game, so it's a credit to the lads that they won the replay and made the semi-final.

I too feel sorry for Declan Hannon. However, like Jonathan Walters in soccer, somebody needed to have a word a little earlier to save him from the nightmare he was enduring. By the time you miss the third handy free - or third penalty in soccer - there's nothing manly or courageous about continuing on. If I were to be critical of John Allen today, I think he should have relieved young Declan of the responsibility a little earlier. A player will never give up the role for fear of being considered a coward, but the management needed to protect Limerick's chances - and the player - by making a switch. There's nothing macho about continuing to step forward when your confidence has gone. I hope he puts it out of his head and recovers.

PWEI wrote: »
    The same supporters who didn't get behind their team today? I was shocked at how quiet the Limerick support was today.
    They outnumbered Clare at least 2 to 1 but it was as if it was the other way around. They never got behind their team & even when Niall Moran tried to get the crowd going they didn't react. The song "sing when you're winning" springs to mind.

The Limerick fans are more paralysed by continuous failure than the team. It was similar in the Munster final - a huge crowd, but the tension was palpable.

Put simply, Limerick people are neurotic from their hurling team's repeated inability to win on the big day when it really matters.

• Advertisement

Limerick Hurling fans though get behind the team.

They deserve more.

Advertisement