Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Thread - Limerick v Clare All Ireland Hurling Semi Final

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,068 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Syferus wrote: »
    Let's take a de-tour around Cliche City for one, eh?

Come again?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

The hype machines made it out to be the All-Ireland final, all the build up saying we'd win handy and in the end we were left out to dry. The frees killed us big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Everything went right for clare, they hardly had a wide all day.

I think Allen shouldn't be kept on after today's howler. He's done well, but we need someone else to take us to the next level.

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Was at that game, thoroughly enjoyable spectacle. Half deaf in one ear due to my gfs continual high pitch shouts for the banner. :D

limerick support was very noisy at the start of each half but got quieter when they realised that their team hadn't bothered to turn up.

some unbelievable wides from limerick today and Clare seemed to take all their chances at a point.

day summed up when the limerick player missed the ball entirely twice from the sideline ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Really enjoyed that. Flights home booked, now to try and secure a ticket!!! C,'mon the banner :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Rightwing wrote: »
    Everything went right for clare, they hardly had a wide all day.

I think Allen shouldn't be kept on after today's howler. He's done well, but we need someone else to take us to the next level.

Their shooting was brilliant alright. Colin ryan put on as good a display of freetaking as I have seen. In fairness leaving Tony Kelly and Podge as loose as they were was asking for trouble. Limerick should have been score for score with them if they hadnt wasted so many chances in the first half though. They will be back next year though a bit wiser and looking for revenge no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭corny

I be honest if I was a Limerick supporter today I be disgusted.

It's one thing to get beat its another to be so awful and lack fight.

Too many celebrations for winning Munster. 40 years is too long for tradition Limerick have.

They surpass Mayo at this time as the team who comes down with a bang most in Croker.

No heart, no fight. Supporters deserve more. Much more.

I wouldn't be TOO harsh on the Limerick lads. Not saying they fought like lions or anything but the game went against them early and they just didn't know how to work themselves back into it. That was the problem. As John Allen said at no stage did they have a grip on the game. I'd sooner blame the gameplan than the players spirit for that tbh. The Clare half backs cleaned them out yet they never changed tack to compensate.

corny wrote: »
    I wouldn't be TOO harsh on the Limerick lads. Not saying they fought like lions or anything but the game went against them early and they just didn't know how to work themselves back into it. That was the problem. As John Allen said at no stage did they have a grip on the game. I'd sooner blame the gameplan than the players spirit for that tbh. The Clare half backs cleaned them out yet they never changed tack to compensate.

I understand they also had lay off since Munster win tbf, but they looked slow and they seemed like a team not prepared for what was coming.

Clare were far hungrier. I at least expected Limerick to go down with a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Derrydoc

Glad to see Clare win. Cork in the final will be a big ask for them though.

I honestly think Clare will be be danger to us.

They have beaten Tipp in AI before so they know how beat big guns. Yes that was 97, but its something that wont be playing on their minds as you see with Limericks 40 year wait today.

The only good thing from Cork point of view is that Clare never really had to be at their best against Galway and Limerick while Cork got tougher tests.

But its going be very hard to call.

It will be interesting to see what happens with John Allen too after today.

• Advertisement

I honestly think Clare will be be danger to us.

They have beaten Tipp in AI before so they know how beat big guns. Yes that was 97, but its something that wont be playing on their minds as you see with Limericks 40 year wait today.

The only good thing from Cork point of view is that Clare never really had to be at their best against Galway and Limerick while Cork got tougher tests.

But its going be very hard to call.

It will be interesting to see what happens with John Allen too after today.

After today's performance, I'd have to say we'd have been a washout in the final. Clare will give Cork a better game, but they are probably not good enough.

Rightwing wrote: »
    After today's performance, I'd have to say we'd have been a washout in the final. Clare will give Cork a better game, but they are probably not good enough.

I think going into the final I favor Cork like 52/48 ratio if that makes sense.

going to be very close game, just Cork by point or two.

its 3 weeks away so can enjoy build up now for few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Just got send this.. The first of many I presume.

6bAczz.jpg

I think going into the final I favor Cork like 52/48 ratio if that makes sense.

going to be very close game, just Cork by point or two.

its 3 weeks away so can enjoy build up now for few weeks.

What's sickening me is both Clare and Cork are very beatable,,,,so this is one that def got away.

Will we ever again win an AI :(

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

What happened in the minor game with the hawk eye?

awec wrote: »

Limk scored a point, but Hawkeye recorded it as a miss, even though you could see the ball go inside the post.

What a waste of money :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

awec wrote: »

Use of HawkEye was suspended during the minor game.. A representative of the GAA was interviewed after the game and said that there was a problem with the graphic. (it said "wide" but the graphic showed a good point). So now they have to carry out an investigation to see what went wrong. Very embarrassing for the GAA.. They should have just used the video ref, like the rugby, but no no they knew better..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

All the same yeve had a pretty great year considering ye had only 3 wins since 2001 in the Munster championship up til this year. And possibly and even worse record at minor against teams that aren't Kerry.

I know immediate disappointment is understanable but there's no reason why this can't be used as a platform for Limerick to build as opposed to being the pinnacle of their achievements.

Where to begin. Limerick have been here so often before.

Well done to Clare. Clinical with their shooting. Every shot seemed to go over the bar. Was like a dagger through our heart each time. Everything seemed to go well for them.

Thanks to the players for a great year even if it did end in disappointment. I'm not going to criticise any of them. Amateur players giving a massive commitment.

Just seems that the players were waiting for something to happen all game. Everything that could go wrong seemed to go wrong. Even hawkeye turned against our minors. Just one of those days. All the wides we hit early, losing Hickey (any word on him) and conceding one of the poxiest goals of all time.

Just sick of losing. 40 years without the big prize. Hard to see us ending this on today's evidence. Sometimes I think we'll never win it and today is one of them days. Can't see us building from this next year. The huge effort that the lads put in only to come up horrendously short. Hard to see them putting two seasons like that together. We didn't build on 94 the year after. We won the league in 97 but then got a dusting in Munster. We had a good year in 2001 and twas 2007 before we did anything. Then in 2008 we did nothing.

Couldn't give two hoots if I never again went to watch a limerick hurling team again. Its the hope that gets me. For 17 years I've been going to games and its the same sh1t all the time. We'll never get there.

How could a match played 16 years ago have any bearing on the outcome of the final. Sure most of the Clare team were learning to walk when that game was played.

Not sour grapes by any means and Clare were full value today for their win but Davy Fitz should not be let on the sideline for the AI final. Trying to influence the linesmen by running up the touchline to remonstrate with him when he called the refs attention to give a point and then running on to the field when a decision doesn't go his way. No wonder no one likes him. Yes he's a passionate GAA man but he should not get away with his conduct today.

Was talking to a Clare fan on the bus after and he said part of him wouldn't have minded Clare losing to Laois so that they might have gotten rid of him.

• Advertisement

Browney7 wrote: »

Couldn't give two hoots if I never again went to watch a limerick hurling team again. Its the hope that gets me. For 17 years I've been going to games and its the same sh1t all the time. We'll never get there.

I honestly feel sorry for supporters like you today. My Mum is a Limerick woman and if Cork were to lose a final I would be happy to lose it to no other team.

I suppose ye are similar to our footballers in a way, but least our footballers win AI here and there and we always have hurlers to fall back on.

How could a match played 16 years ago have any bearing on the outcome of the final. Sure most of the Clare team were learning to walk when that game was played.

You didnt read the rest of it then I see.

Dont tell me teams like Mayo and Limerick are not reminded of the past when they get close to or make a AI?.

You can be sure it does and mentally that can put doubts in your mind.

You have plenty of example of that in past few years never mind entire history of GAA.

I honestly feel sorry for supporters like you today. My Mum is a Limerick woman and if Cork were to lose a final I would be happy to lose it to no other team.

I suppose ye are similar to our footballers in a way, but least our footballers win AI here and there and we always have hurlers to fall back on.

At least the auld fellas have seen them win at least one haha.

I always say I'll never again go to watch them but I always crack. Glutton for punishment I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Not sour grapes by any means and Clare were full value today for their win but Davy Fitz should not be let on the sideline for the AI final. Trying to influence the linesmen by running up the touchline to remonstrate with him when he called the refs attention to give a point and then running on to the field when a decision doesn't go his way. No wonder no one likes him. Yes he's a passionate GAA man but he should not get away with his conduct today.

Was talking to a Clare fan on the bus after and he said part of him wouldn't have minded Clare losing to Laois so that they might have gotten rid of him.

That fan is only a ****en clown. Davy got carried away because clear desicions went against Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Dont tell me teams like Mayo and Limerick are not reminded of the past when they get close to or make a AI?.

You have plenty of example of that in past few years never mind entire history of GAA.

Typical utd ****e out of you

I did but the only bit that interested me was the bit i highlighted.

Its in their DNA or you think the players actually care what 15 men did 16 years ago?

They failed so we must be liable to that sort of thing. Is that how it works?

niallo27 wrote: »
    That fan is only a ****en clown. Davy got carried away because clear desicions went against Clare.

Plenty Claremen on this board had reservations about Davy after the Cork game.

Decisions go against every team. Managers shouldn't be running out onto the field when a decision goes against them. Would you agree or disagree?

niallo27 wrote: »
    Typical utd ****e out of you

wtf?

oh btw put me on the ignore list.

Your obsession with Man United and all fans is sad and sad you had mention it here.

I did but the only bit that interested me was the bit i highlighted.

Its in their DNA or you think the players actually care what 15 men did 16 years ago?

They failed so we must be liable to that sort of thing. Is that how it works?

History proves my theory has some backup anyway.

The most recent one was 2009 football final 1-3 to point up and we fell in our arse all cause it was kerry.

Anyway its not something that will come in this time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Where to begin. Limerick have been here so often before.

Well done to Clare. Clinical with their shooting. Every shot seemed to go over the bar. Was like a dagger through our heart each time. Everything seemed to go well for them.

Thanks to the players for a great year even if it did end in disappointment. I'm not going to criticise any of them. Amateur players giving a massive commitment.

Just seems that the players were waiting for something to happen all game. Everything that could go wrong seemed to go wrong. Even hawkeye turned against our minors. Just one of those days. All the wides we hit early, losing Hickey (any word on him) and conceding one of the poxiest goals of all time.

Just sick of losing. 40 years without the big prize. Hard to see us ending this on today's evidence. Sometimes I think we'll never win it and today is one of them days. Can't see us building from this next year. The huge effort that the lads put in only to come up horrendously short. Hard to see them putting two seasons like that together. We didn't build on 94 the year after. We won the league in 97 but then got a dusting in Munster. We had a good year in 2001 and twas 2007 before we did anything. Then in 2008 we did nothing.

Yeah but I think this year will send Limerick in the right direction. Waiting a long time for that Munster title and the minors winning a Munster as well, coupled with the u21s a few years ago and hurling is definitely on the right track their. Ye have JPs investment, and great work being done underage (the u16s and 17s being succesful last year) and also you see the facilities in a place like UL now with the all weather pitch and would think that can only be good news for development squads and indeed for the college, which is great for ye because it seems college hurling is playing a large role in keeping Cork hurling going at the minute.

I know what you're feeling personally...in Croke Park I've been to 8 semis and only seen us win one, and that's excluding the one quarter final loss we had in 2005. And I have sometimes the last few years questioned whether Waterford would ever win an all-ireland. But my hope is renknewed and I believe one day we'll get there. And I think Limerick will too. Unlike a lot of people, I think that this years championship is a slightly earlier than expected renaissance in the making. I do feel that there is likely to be an answer next year from Tipp and probably Kilkenny but sooner or later Kilkenny are going to bne left with the task of building a pretty new team. Whatever happens next year, we are entering an era of competitiveness that I hope will outlast the 90s. And Limerick will have a big part in that yet.

I'll put it this way to you, think of 2009 and 2010 compared to know. That's not bad progress in 3 years :)

Advertisement