Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Thread - Limerick v Clare All Ireland Hurling Semi Final

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dampintheattic

Rightwing wrote: »
    I think Cork will win it, and win well. We'd have done a number on Cork tho :mad:

For all Clare's dominance, they only won by 7,,,,,flukey goal,,,,everything they hit went over,,,our missed frees.

Flukey scores, soft scores, keeper mistakes, etc, etc, are all part and parcel of the game.
    Even the hurling superpowers, KK and Cork, have won matches, and titles, by virtue of such scores, over the years.
    Thing is, you make your own luck, and opportunity for such scores.

Historically, you would make Cork hot favourites to beat Clare in a big Croke park encounter. Would have started the game, four points up, psychologically.

Nowadays, it's different. Clare got the monkey off their backs in the nineties.
    The current team, won't fear Cork, in the slightest.
    When it comes to basic stick work, and skill, they are up there with the best.
    So ............. Cork probably favourites. But Clare more than capable, of beating them. In fact I believe they will.

In any case, it has the makings of a great game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Flukey scores, soft scores, keeper mistakes, etc, etc, are all part and parcel of the game.
    Even the hurling superpowers, KK and Cork, have won matches, and titles, by virtue of such scores, over the years.
    Thing is, you make your own luck, and opportunity for such scores.

Historically, you would make Cork hot favourites to beat Clare in a big Croke park encounter. Would have started the game, four points up, psychologically.

Nowadays, it's different. Clare got the monkey off their backs in the nineties.
    The current team, won't fear Cork, in the slightest.
    When it comes to basic stick work, and skill, they are up there with the best.
    So ............. Cork probably favourites. But Clare more than capable, of beating them. In fact I believe they will.

In any case, it has the makings of a great game.

If clare beat cork, they will win more AI'S. No question about that. I'd say Cork even need to win this 1 more than Clare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

I think the big chap kicked the ball without even knowing he kicked it, he was falling,,,,now that's flukey.

As for the shots,,you've that all wrong. Some days they go over, and some days they don't. Cork missed loads v us in the munster final, on another day they'd have gone over. Clare missed loads v Wexford. It just happens.
    That's not being bitter, everyone congratulated Clare and wishes them well.

No, its not. He was in the position to be "flukey". That is not flukey.

Yes, sometimes players have good days, sometimes players have bad days. However good players have more good days than bad days. Bad players have more bad days than good players.

Clare had better players on the pitch on Sunday than Limerick. Players who were at the top of their game, players who were more up for a battle than Limerick, players who were hungrier than Limerick. It had nothing to do with it being a bad day for Limerick. It had everything to do with Clare being a better team than Limerick.

No, its not. He was in the position to be "flukey". That is not flukey.

Yes, sometimes players have good days, sometimes players have bad days. However good players have more good days than bad days. Bad players have more bad days than good players.

Clare had better players on the pitch on Sunday than Limerick. Players who were at the top of their game, players who were more up for a battle than Limerick, players who were hungrier than Limerick. It had nothing to do with it being a bad day for Limerick. It had everything to do with Clare being a better team than Limerick.

I agree with all of that bit, but they had luck, no question about that, the next it could desert them. If things go as well for Clare the next day, they will beat Cork. I suspect they will have more wides etc.

I agree with all of that bit, but they had luck, no question about that, the next it could desert them. If things go as well for Clare the next day, they will beat Cork. I suspect they will have more wides etc.

Winners always have an element of luck. But as a previous poster said "you make your own luck, and opportunity for such scores.
    ". One of my favourite quotes is: "the more I practice the luckier I get" (http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080217075735AA95Tvj) and it is something that a lot of GAA folk should remember.

It was not luck that beat Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

players who were more up for a battle than Limerick, players who were hungrier than Limerick.

Ah thats a load of garbage, if you don't understand the difference between a team that freezes on the day and a team that doesn't, you should stick to LOI footy, which your username suggests you might know more about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Clare were the far superior team, there was no luck involved, i think 99% of limerick supporters would agree with that.

I very much doubt clare were hungrier, but inchicore dude seems like a genuine type no need to be having a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

I think Cork will win it, and win well. We'd have done a number on Cork tho :mad:

For all Clare's dominance, they only won by 7,,,,,flukey goal,,,,everything they hit went over,,,our missed frees.

No way,if cork win,be just by a point or two.

Limerick,wouldnt have worried cork,they were our ist choice.Limerick as shown sunday, were a one trick pony,left their best players on the bench,and didnt improve at all.

With murphy back,cronin fully fit,and horgan their ,and cork have improved in the last two games,and outside the comfort of the gaelic grounds ,cork would have too much for them.

Cork would be ready and waiting,and you just know how limerick would play.

Clare,are completly different.An astute manager,he can be overbearing,but he is a huge thinker with tactics etc,have a team blessed with pace suited to take corks greyhounds on,and have a plan A and b,and an element of suprise with them.

Unlike limerick,have a half forward line that can score from half forward and will actually target corks weak line,full back,with honan their.

Clare wont freeze.Theys guys have no baggage,but repuations build on big days in croke park,with huge success at underage.

They dont fear cork.They probably lost the respect in the last game,and believed the hype.Once bitten twice shy.

They respect us this time.It be a titanic battle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Winners always have an element of luck. But as a previous poster said "you make your own luck, and opportunity for such scores.
    ". One of my favourite quotes is: "the more I practice the luckier I get" (http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080217075735AA95Tvj) and it is something that a lot of GAA folk should remember.

Totally agree,its unbelievable the way limerick seem to blame everything bar inhouse,and lets call a spade a spade,they were with that team that started,a beaten team,before a ball was thrown in.

Clare were all over them,and limerick were lucky clare gifted them soft scores also,which they ignore,or else clare would have won by more.Clare gifted them three points,with poor passes.

There was no stage at any time,clare looked in trouble.When other teams miss wides,and are beaten,limerick fail to accept that,but when they miss wides,they were unlucky,bounce of the ball etc.They see what they want to see when the shoe was on the other foot.

They had a full panel,and were not beaten by a point,beaten conviningly in the end.Luck had nothing to do with it.

I wouldnt say hunger either.Limerick had huge hunger as much as clare,and were not out fought.

What clare done,was they simply outhought limerick and luck had nothing to do with it.

No one said we were unlucky, we simply didn't perform. I think it's even hard to judge Clare because we were so poor on the day, that's not sour grapes on our part. I'm wishing both Clare & Cork well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

No one said we were unlucky, we simply didn't perform. I think it's even hard to judge Clare because we were so poor on the day, that's not sour grapes on our part. I'm wishing both Clare & Cork well.

The only thing I could fault Clare on was the puck outs, they gifted a lot of ball to Limerick with them and will need to rectify it to some extent against Cork.

In the first couple of minutes, Clare had a free over towards the Cusack Stand. The clare half back made a run up along the Hogan stand side. The Limerick half-forward (think it was Hickey?) just failed to follow him. The Clare free-taker proceeded to puck the ball straight into the hands of the Clare half back who popped it over the bar. I fancied Clare before the match but as soon as I saw that, I felt Clare were more "in tune" for this match and would go on to win.

The only thing I could fault Clare on was the puck outs, they gifted a lot of ball to Limerick with them and will need to rectify it to some extent against Cork.

I' agree on this. John Conlon would be Clares main ball-winner and he didnt play well on Sunday.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Disn't see any stats but I though Limerick had the lions share of possession myself, defended quite well and held McGrath and Honan scoreless apart from the goal (Its very encouraging we did so well when those two and Conlon were pretty quite by their high standards). Some of the statement to the effect that we blew them off the park are well wide of the mark IMO. I think too much is being made of the gap on the scoreboard, on another day if a few of those early frees had gone over for them it would have been a much tighter game.

What we did was defend very well ourselves, and when you have players like extremely accurate pacy players Kelly, Galvin and Collins, with a 6 point lead you can always pick up enough scores to maintain a comfortable lead unless the opposition can manage to get back into it with a goal, which never looked like coming apart from that early save.

marco_polo wrote: »
    Disn't see any stats but I though Limerick had the lions share of possession myself, defended quite well and held McGrath and Honan scoreless apart from the goal (Its very encouraging we did so well when those two and Conlon were pretty quite by their high standards). Some of the statement to the effect that we blew them off the park are well wide of the mark IMO. I think too much is being made of the gap on the scoreboard, on another day if a few of those early frees had gone over for them it would have been a much tighter game.

What we did was defend very well ourselves, and when you have players like extremely accurate pacy players Kelly, Galvin and Collins, with a 6 point lead you can always pick up enough scores to maintain a comfortable lead unless the opposition can manage to get back into it with a goal, which never looked like coming apart from that early save.

Sunday Game had stats. Think Donal Og said that Clare lost 70% of their own puckouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Sunday game had the puckout stats. Limerick won 50% of their own puckouts but won 70% of the clare ones. Only one stat that matters though.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

Browney7 wrote: »
    Sunday game had the puckout stats. Limerick won 50% of their own puckouts but won 70% of the clare ones. Only one stat that matters though.

How much can you rely on these kind of stats though, Nicky Quaid pucked a lot of puck outs to Condon and Walsh in second half when they were free so that would have counted as winning a puck out but when they drove down the field then to pretty much the same spot that Quaid would have hit anyway Clare were still winning those balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

The only luck Clare had were how poor Limerick's scoring was.

Nothing lucky about anything Clare did though. Clinical.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Clarehobo

Browney7 wrote: »

The problem with those stats, from a Clare perspective, is that if Limerick were having a good day we would have been crucified. We were lucky Limerick failed to capitalise. Cork won't be as kind.

I was saying it after half time that the puck outs needed to be shortened in order to keep them in our possession. We have good lads who are well able to score from most areas of the pitch - we need to stop giving away possession.
    And just to clarify, I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I could even see that hole.

Davy was also saying about our relatively low amount of wides - we need to keep on top of that. Any other day, the figure could have been much higher and the gap between the sides on the scoreboard could have been significantly less.

Make no mistake, Cork want this All-Ireland badly. They will have everything analysed within an inch of it's life at this stage and they will throw everything, including the kitchen sink, at Clare. We need to start being realistic - Limerick were not good on the day which is why we got away with so much. Cork will come out all guns blazing.

Clarehobo wrote: »
    The problem with those stats, from a Clare perspective, is that if Limerick were having a good day we would have been crucified. We were lucky Limerick failed to capitalise. Cork won't be as kind.

I was saying it after half time that the puck outs needed to be shortened in order to keep them in our possession. We have good lads who are well able to score from most areas of the pitch - we need to stop giving away possession.
    And just to clarify, I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I could even see that hole.

Davy was also saying about our relatively low amount of wides - we need to keep on top of that. Any other day, the figure could have been much higher and the gap between the sides on the scoreboard could have been significantly less.

Make no mistake, Cork want this All-Ireland badly. They will have everything analysed within an inch of it's life at this stage and they will throw everything, including the kitchen sink, at Clare. We need to start being realistic - Limerick were not good on the day which is why we got away with so much. Cork will come out all guns blazing.

I think this is a very good analysis of the situation.

• Advertisement

If Clare made use of the short puckout when there was a free man which there was for some of them i think their passing game would have worked to a lot greater effect than just hoofing the ball down field from the puckout. A great performance throughout the field otherwise but it is something which can be improved on massively and im sure they will have looked at it for the final.

In fairness to Honan he was fouled the couple of times he won the ball in scoreable positions the last day and he won frees and Mcgrath was doing a lot of dirty work and letting the half forwards throw it over so i wouldnt say the performed that badly. You could tell as soon as Davy did the interview before the match and the way the Clare fellows shot out of the tunnel that they were well up for it.

I agree with you to a point, We gave away a huge amout of possesion from the puckout's but I wouldnt say we were lucky that Limerick didnt capitalise on all their chances, the Clare backs were on top of them from start to finish and they were forcing them into taking difficult shots under pressure. If they had converted the free's in the first half they would have been within touching distance alright but I still dont think they were going to get much from play. Clare did the same to the Galway attack by completely taking Canning out of the game using Donnelan as a sweeper, dont under estimate how effective it has been. Cork will be a different animal and will come into the game a lot more confident than Limerick and Galway did but in fairness Davy has shown he has a few tricks up his sleeve so we should be in for a cracker. May the best team win, Hon the Banner !!!!!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

If Clare made use of the short puckout when there was a free man which there was for some of them i think their passing game would have worked to a lot greater effect than just hoofing the ball down field from the puckout. A great performance throughout the field otherwise but it is something which can be improved on massively and im sure they will have looked at it for the final.

In fairness to Honan he was fouled the couple of times he won the ball in scoreable positions the last day and he won frees and Mcgrath was doing a lot of dirty work and letting the half forwards throw it over so i wouldnt say the performed that badly. You could tell as soon as Davy did the interview before the match and the way the Clare fellows shot out of the tunnel that they were well up for it.

Oh I agree, it wasn't my intention to suggest they played badly, they did a great job for the team and its never easy operating in a two man full forward line.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Clarehobo

I agree with you to a point, We gave away a huge amout of possesion from the puckout's but I wouldnt say we were lucky that Limerick didnt capitalise on all their chances, the Clare backs were on top of them from start to finish and they were forcing them into taking difficult shots under pressure. If they had converted the free's in the first half they would have been within touching distance alright but I still dont think they were going to get much from play. Clare did the same to the Galway attack by completely taking Canning out of the game using Donnelan as a sweeper, dont under estimate how effective it has been. Cork will be a different animal and will come into the game a lot more confident than Limerick and Galway did but in fairness Davy has shown he has a few tricks up his sleeve so we should be in for a cracker. May the best team win, Hon the Banner !!!!!!!

I wasn't saying we didn't have a good game plan and team. I just think we were lucky in a way that the tactics paid off - Limerick were rattled badly and it took until the second half for them to start looking any way composed. And we were lucky that they were so rattled they didn't capitalise on all our puck outs that they won. They could have done damage with that amount of wins if it had been any other day for them.

I also think Cork has seen what we did to Galway and Limerick and are going to be covering every angle on this one so we need to tighten up on our mistakes from the last day - we cannot give anything away.
    The lads' hurling is up there with the best, but silly mistakes(be they unwarranted fouls, lost puck outs, missed points, etc) will cost you an all-Ireland and Cork will be the first to capitalise on these things.

I have faith in the lads - they know what they have to do. I just think we need to look at that match objectively and realise that Cork are not going to be a walkover.
    (And hopefully we will be getting Croker to invoke plan B again! I just don't want to jinx us!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

On these puck-out stats, what happens in the cases where the puck out landed on a Limerick player, and they were pressured and coughed up possession.

I mean, is it the first player to touch the sliotar, or is it who ends up with possession? Just curious

Limerick's dominance from Clare puckouts didn't seem that obvious when watching the game, to the extent that it would be 70/30

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭G2ECE

Lies, Damned Lies and statistics.

I wasn't saying we didn't have a good game plan and team. I just think we were lucky in a way that the tactics paid off - Limerick were rattled badly and it took until the second half for them to start looking any way composed. And we were lucky that they were so rattled they didn't capitalise on all our puck outs that they won. They could have done damage with that amount of wins if it had been any other day for them.

I also think Cork has seen what we did to Galway and Limerick and are going to be covering every angle on this one so we need to tighten up on our mistakes from the last day - we cannot give anything away.
    The lads' hurling is up there with the best, but silly mistakes(be they unwarranted fouls, lost puck outs, missed points, etc) will cost you an all-Ireland and Cork will be the first to capitalise on these things.

I have faith in the lads - they know what they have to do. I just think we need to look at that match objectively and realise that Cork are not going to be a walkover.
    (And hopefully we will be getting Croker to invoke plan B again! I just don't want to jinx us!)

I think you spot on there, if they could do what they did the last day and improve on the puckouts I think that's all we can expect from them and whoever comes out the right side of it will be deserving of it. I would like to know go JBM will try to take podge and Kelly out of the game, they are very hard to manage. It'll be a close game whatever way you look at it I think and I think this is bonus territory for clare too. Not many would have picked them to be here last may. Win, lose or draw I'll be behind them anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

G2ECE wrote: »
    Lies, Damned Lies and statistics.

"Statistics are just like mini-skirts, they give you good ideas but hide the most important thing" ex Aberdeen manager Ebbe Skovdahl

Just watching the full thing on Setanta again, there was a really crucial few minutes after Limericks great start to the second half when they hit another two scoreable chances wide with the score at 1-11 to 0-10, I think if one or both had gone over they might have really started to believe.

The ball went straight up the field after the second one and Tony Kelly popped over a great score from the left touchline.

Hadn't noticed the nasty pull on Cian Dillion while on the ground by Niall Moran at the time either, very lucky boy not to walk for that. Davy really shouldn't have gone onto the pitch but I can almost excuse it having seen the incidents again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Hadn't noticed the nasty pull on Cian Dillion while on the ground by Niall Moran at the time either, very lucky boy not to walk for that. Davy really shouldn't have gone onto the pitch but I can almost excuse it having seen the incidents again.

Niall Moran should have walked twice by the letter of the law, he had already struck a Clare player in the head in a confrontation prior to that incident.

Advertisement